Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to make CC using GIMP?

Hello all simmers out there! I really want to make my own CC but I have a problem. I don't have Photoshop (ok, I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 but it seems that it doesn't work) so I have heard that you can use GIMP! I have tryed a few times but I have faild everytime. Sometimes it is something wrong with the layers, or I can't save it in the right format and stuff like that so I wonder: How do you create your CC using GIMP? (re-coloring, add a logo, re-texture...) If you know how or know a website with a turorial or something, please leave a comment ;) .

(I have S4PE and Color magic)

Comments

• LionLion Posts: 42 Member
    I know, I have that plgin and I have tryed that tuturial but it didn't work... I maybe downloaded the plugin wrong...
    I have it under: C:\Users\"my name"\.gimp-2.6\plug-ins. Is that right?

Thanks anyway for your answer ;) (*)
  • Shimrod101Shimrod101 Posts: 304 Member
    No, wrong place. If you used the default install location for Gimp, the folder to place the dds plug-in is here:

ProgramFiles(x86)\ Gimp-2.0\ lib\ gimp\ 2.0\ plug-ins

You will see a bunch of other files in there.
    ok thanks, I will give it a try ;)
    ok, now I feel realy dumb but ... when I try to save a square appears. It is named "save as DDS". There are some different options: first : "compression", then "format", then "save". Then it is a "Checkbox" called "generate to mipmaps. Wich settings should they be on. (excuse my bad english)
  • Shimrod101Shimrod101 Posts: 304 Member
    BC3 \ DXT5 is the compression, and place a checkmark to Generate Mipmaps. The format thing I think just says Default? Leave it there, anyway.
    When I try to save this appears: DDS: Cannot compress non power-of-2 sized images. Saved image will not be compressed.

Why? I have joined all my layers to one because if I don't do that I can choose to save as "a volume map" or "selected layer" . But if I save as "a volume map" I can't compress the pic and then I can't import it to S4PE. But if I save as "selected layer" I can just save one layer, the t-shirt or the logo/pattern!

What should I do? :s

(I know I ask many questions but I really want this to work)
  • QuelsimmyQuelsimmy Posts: 531 Member
    edited August 2014
    Try flattening your image to one layer and saving then

Or you can select your whole "canvas" and then copy merged. Then paste the whole thing in a new document and save that as your DDS
  • PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    edited August 2014
    Just a tip if someone is having trouble getting a DDS plugin to work with GIMP: If you have the 64-bit version of GIMP, you need the 64-bit version of the DDS plugin. You can find it here: https://code.google.com/p/gimp-dds/downloads/list
    Post edited by Penelope on
  • PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    edited August 2014
    Lion wrote: »
    When I try to save this appears: DDS: Cannot compress non power-of-2 sized images. Saved image will not be compressed.
    Why? I have joined all my layers to one because if I don't do that I can choose to save as "a volume map" or "selected layer" . But if I save as "a volume map" I can't compress the pic and then I can't import it to S4PE. But if I save as "selected layer" I can just save one layer, the t-shirt or the logo/pattern!
    In GIMP, you have to click on "Merge Visible Layers" first before you can save it as a DDS file. Is that the issue you're having? If you merge the layers in any other way, it might not work. "Merge Visible Layers" is found under the "Image" drop-down menu.

• AnoeskaBAnoeskaB Posts: 5 New Member
    The non power-of-2 error can show up if your image doesn't have the right size. The default size for a Sims 4 CAS related texture is 1024x2048. If you use that size (and flatten all layers), it should work. If it's 1023x2047, it will not work correctly. The power of two part is referring to the 2-4-8-16-32-64-128-256-512-1024-2048 sizes
    Yey it worked! Thanks to everybody for helping me out! <3
    Now I have a tutorial on my website. eder.se/vera ;)