March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Building in the Sims 4

For those of you who have played the full game, and have built homes and lots, is building easier than past games (not that was really hard to begin with) but I'm just curious at how smoothly building went for anyone who's had a chance to try it?

Comments

• celdys0nceldys0n Posts: 107 Member
    I haven't had a chance to test out the game, let alone touch it. I am in the same league as you are, waiting for the release. However, from my own observations of the building and from the "Camp" that I have seen, it seems to be a bit of a learning curve. EA has made the building process to be nicer to the new people and experts alike, so that we can all start on the same platform. The things I have a touch hesitation to is the ability to add rooms and relying on the system to automatically know how to apply a room to meet the requirements of level one (when on the next level of the house).

As I said, it's going to be a learning curve for all of us, but by all looks and introductions to the system, it's not going to be difficult to the point that you will need a manual for it. Just more of touch and go! ^.^
  • ConfidentialDeceitConfidentialDeceit Posts: 23 Member
    Sounds good. Thanks for the info. I thought creating the new sims was going to be painful but it's super easy so I'm hoping this won't be that hard either! :)
  • FrostmenFrostmen Posts: 22 Member
    As I understood from films Sims4 will be able to increase the height of the walls without codes, as in the third, and to change the height of the windows. And it makes me very happy.
  • ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    I found having the ability to drag a furnished room into your house really saves a lot of time. However, the shape of the room may not be the shape that you want. You can drag the walls into the shape you need, but that may not be the best option depending on what you are building. I think that once we learn all of the new shortcuts built into the game that building will go a lot faster. I have ideas that I want to try once the game is released that will help, me anyway, to furnish the houses with pre-made matching sets.
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
    @Frostmen. Yes, those are two of the new features that I really like. To make the walls higher (you have three heights to choose from) you simply click on a button to set the height. The only thing that I do not like about this is that it affects all walls on the same level. So, you can't have mixed heights on the same level. I was going to make a gazebo in the back yard, but since I had made the walls tall on the first level, the gazebo was very tall, too. This didn't look right, so I scrapped the gazebo. As for the windows, it is great to be able to move the windows up and down the walls, but it is limited by the size of your window and the wall height that you set it to. Because some windows are tall and only work on tall walls, it also limits how many windows you have to choose from in the lower walls mode.
    fkgck4xkargo.png
  • pam4402003pam4402003 Posts: 999 Member
    This all sounds so very interesting. Maybe some were down the road EA will give more window options and maybe make to were we can have different height walls on one floor. I would love that! But all in all I am excited to try my hand at this new way of building.
  • Simbostic41Simbostic41 Posts: 17 New Member
    > @pam4402003 said:
    > This all sounds so very interesting. Maybe some were down the road EA will give more window options and maybe make to were we can have different height walls on one floor. I would love that! But all in all I am excited to try my hand at this new way of building.

I'm with you there. Everything sounds so great but, we just won't know for sure till we actually get the game. An who knows, equal level walls all on the same floor may just be another one of those things that they'll fix with a patch.
  • ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    There is definitely a learning curve...as there is when you try anything new...but I do think that building is easier. Heck, the fact that you can pick up a whole building as a unit and re-position it on the lot is worth it. Between that , the ability to add foundations after the fact, and the way roofing is more of an object you mold and place as opposed to drawn...yeah. It is going to be a LOT easier to build in the Sims 4.

Basically, most of the things that frustrate people or turn them off from building have been addressed in some way.
  • ruthless_kkruthless_kk Posts: 3,987 Member
    ehaught58 wrote: »
    I found having the ability to drag a furnished room into your house really saves a lot of time. However, the shape of the room may not be the shape that you want. You can drag the walls into the shape you need, but that may not be the best option depending on what you are building. I think that once we learn all of the new shortcuts built into the game that building will go a lot faster. I have ideas that I want to try once the game is released that will help, me anyway, to furnish the houses with pre-made matching sets.

I think it is important to note that when you place the furnished rooms they "undo" anything on the outside of the house....wall coverings, windows, etc. For that section of the house, the exterior will match the exterior of the room you place...which is a bare wall. I found that to be a little frustrating when I had already shaped the exterior like I wanted and picked wall coverings and such. I had to redo it all.

It is much easier and better if you are going to use the premade rooms to use them first...before you get the exterior of your house set.
  • FrostmenFrostmen Posts: 22 Member
    I did not expect that it will be possible to change the height of the walls within the same building, but that can not be done at different levels of the walls of some buildings me very sad. :'(
  • luv2playluv2play Posts: 67 Member
    I used to build houses to share all the time in the Sims 2 then with Sims 3 I only built a few. I guess I just lost interest in building, but with all the new build features for Sims 4 I'm very excited to start building again :D <3
    [img][/img]c9dbc58d-e591-4a16-aeba-ce93424ccded_zpsab9d1d8d.jpg

origin id: Luv2play24

I think it is important to note that when you place the furnished rooms they "undo" anything on the outside of the house....wall coverings, windows, etc. For that section of the house, the exterior will match the exterior of the room you place...which is a bare wall. I found that to be a little frustrating when I had already shaped the exterior like I wanted and picked wall coverings and such. I had to redo it all.

It is much easier and better if you are going to use the premade rooms to use them first...before you get the exterior of your house set.

I agree, if you plan on using the premade rooms, use the premade rooms first before painting and decorating. Another thing I want to point out is if you change the wall heights after you placed windows and objects on the walls, they may disappear. So make sure you have your wall height set before placing anything on the walls.

fkgck4xkargo.png
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
  • LebannaLebanna Posts: 1,157 Member

This was exactly my issue too. When you have a nice shell, but want some pre-made rooms in it that really sucks. But overall I like it :) And it's easy too :) Especially the roofing
    Writer for Platinum Simmers

Gallery ID: Annabelli_22
  • celdys0nceldys0n Posts: 107 Member
    I wonder, has anyone tried clicking on one height wall, set wall down and then do a different height wall to set down? Be worth testing the features out before deciding something won't happen. Can't wait to try!!
  • enson85enson85 Posts: 408 Member
    I don't like building since sims 1. From what I've seen, I think the sims 4 will be the game that will make me like it!
    Origin ID : enson8502
    In the Sims 4 gallery #enson8502
    SvlLcmb.png
    Watch ''A Simple Life'' episodes here
    celdys0n wrote: »
    I wonder, has anyone tried clicking on one height wall, set wall down and then do a different height wall to set down? Be worth testing the features out before deciding something won't happen. Can't wait to try!!
    If you build a room and set the height to tall, then build another separate room, the height will already be tall. If you set the height for the second room to low, the first room will automatically change to low, too. I tried to get different heights on the same level, but it is impossible with the way the game is currently programmed. Is this what you meant?
    fkgck4xkargo.png
  • yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    I must say I love how we will be able to change heights of wall and foundations for sims 4! Also the new roof options is very exciting! The curved fences and foundations are cool features too. Can't wait to try all these!
  • walkingstickwalkingstick Posts: 4,637 Member
    @Frostmen. Yes, those are two of the new features that I really like. To make the walls higher (you have three heights to choose from) you simply click on a button to set the height. The only thing that I do not like about this is that it affects all walls on the same level. So, you can't have mixed heights on the same level. I was going to make a gazebo in the back yard, but since I had made the walls tall on the first level, the gazebo was very tall, too. This didn't look right, so I scrapped the gazebo. As for the windows, it is great to be able to move the windows up and down the walls, but it is limited by the size of your window and the wall height that you set it to. Because some windows are tall and only work on tall walls, it also limits how many windows you have to choose from in the lower walls mode.

I'm a bit disappointed that you can't have different wall heights on the same lot. That would have made for some really interesting builds. :'(

I'm a bit disappointed that you can't have different wall heights on the same lot. That would have made for some really interesting builds. :'(
    That, and the fact that you don't have the choice of placing foundations on one building and not the others!
    fkgck4xkargo.png
  • walkingstickwalkingstick Posts: 4,637 Member

That, and the fact that you don't have the choice of placing foundations on one building and not the others!

Absolutely. I hope someone comes up with a cheat to do that.