Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help with pixelated/compressed textures

Hello, folks. I've been trying to google an answer, but unfortunately my google-fu is failing me. I decided to try modding for the Sims 4. I followed Platinum Sims' tutorial and everything works great. My problem is with the textures, particularly the dark ones. When I import the .DDS of, for example, a black t-shirt into photoshop CS4, the texture shadows look somewhat pixelated. Even after smoothing them out, once I export the .DDS and load the shirt in the CAS Demo, the shadows look pixelated. In fact, when I applied a blur to the texture and imported it just to see what happened, the pixelation looked even worse than when I just left the pixelated shadows alone.

Since I'm a new member, I don't think I can upload images or include links, but I was hoping someone might be able to help me identify, at a minimum, WHERE the problem is probably coming from. I saved the texture using Platinum Sims' recommendations. Is the problem in the importing/exporting from S4PE or loading it up/saving it in photoshop?

I realize that, without knowing more, helping me to troubleshoot this specific problem would be difficult. However, any tips or experiences people have with this sort of problem would be immensely helpful. Thanks for your time :)

Comments

• granthesgranthes Posts: 93 Member
    I would have to say that the problem is 99% likely to be in the photoshop dds plug-in end of things. S4PE doesn't do any manipulation of the images at all; it just wraps it up in the .package file If you are seeing low resolution or pixelation artifacts in your images, I would look first at the photoshop import process. Make sure that you are loading the highest resolution mipmap from the texture (it SHOULD do this by default, but... you never know).

If the image looks noticeably different between photoshop and what you see in the game, then the dds export process in photoshop is the place to look.

Beyond that, I can't give much help since I use GIMP instead of photoshop.
    Grant (granthes)
    Developer of Sims 4 Modding Tools -- Sims 4 Stuff n Things
  • kiritopixiekiritopixie Posts: 41 Member
    @granthes thanks so much!
  • xox_sugarlips_xoxxox_sugarlips_xox Posts: 98 Member
    I'm having this issue as well. I would appreciate if you kept me updated on what you've found @kiritopixie :)
    VzmSMfi.png
  • kiritopixiekiritopixie Posts: 41 Member
    @xox_sugarlips_xox will do. :) I'll be playing around in photoshop this week and if I find anything I'll post it here.
  • xox_sugarlips_xoxxox_sugarlips_xox Posts: 98 Member
    edited August 2014
    @kiritopixie I'll be looking as well. Good luck!

EDIT: I just took a look, and the artifacts/pixelation starts once the file is extracted from S4PE (or reimported but I think its the first one). I didn't have to open it in an editor to see the artifacts in game. I simply opened the package, exported the texture and then re imported it. Looking into settings now!
    Post edited by xox_sugarlips_xox on
    VzmSMfi.png