Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should I use bootcamp or wait for mac version

Has anyone got experience using bootcamp on mac to play sims 3? How is the performance? Should I do it with sims 4 or wait for mac version?

Comments

• VampirspiegeleiVampirspiegelei Posts: 704 Member
    I think upon release you will hear some info about whether it runs with bootcamp.
    SimguruGraham suggested waiting for now though since he wasn't shure himself.
    ... jinkies oO
  • OceanBlue10OceanBlue10 Posts: 361 Member
    It will be sensible to wait til there is a Mac version.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    It really depends on if you already have your hard drive partitioned with a supported Windows OS already installed. If you don't than it would be a waste of money in my opinion. Windows 8.1 (only version Microsoft sells online) is $120 before taxes, and then to add on the additional cost of the video game itself you'd be looking at close to $200 if not more after taxes. Now if you already have your hard drive partitioned with Windows installed and up and running, yeah go for it! I have seen The Sims 3 played on a MacBook Pro running windows through bootcamp, and it didn't look half bad for it playing on a laptop. However that doesn't guarantee that it will work 100% the correct way it is supposed too, because you are still running it on an unsupported machine. Hope this helps!
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I do have a windows OS already! I guess I will wait for more info about bootcamp after release .... quite bummed that there is still no news on the mac version..... :(
  • pandabearroxpandabearrox Posts: 2,295 Member
    I wouldn't buy it.
    at all? why not?
  • SmellySimFeetSmellySimFeet Posts: 199 Member
    Maybe the Mac version will be 64 bit, making it the ultimate version.
  • dukiebird23dukiebird23 Posts: 242 Member
    I hope it comes out soon as I really want to play it
    me too..... :( can't believe they completely ignored us
  • Snosrap522Snosrap522 Posts: 754 Member
    I will buy PC for my PC and download it to my MAC and use Parralels I like to play vanilla on my MAC but use CC on my PC.
  • xtinagaga97xtinagaga97 Posts: 600 Member
    I'd just do bootcamp. If it's anything like SimCity (Mac version came over a year later than PC), your best bet is just to partition.
    giphy.gif
  • sophstar007sophstar007 Posts: 112 Member
    This my conundrum too. Do I download bootcamp or wait for however long it will take for a Mac version?! I don't know what I'm going to do yet. :(
    293xf8g.jpg
  • knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member
    Why not install windows on bootcamp and try the demo and make sure it all works fine before buying it? Personally I would wait for a mac version of the game.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I'd bootcamp. It's not hurting your Mac if you do. You're getting better performance and the ability to play the game at release as well.
  • sophstar007sophstar007 Posts: 112 Member
    I have yet to buy a Mac...but I was going to for the release of The Sims 4. Thanks for the advice. I don't really know alot about Mac's I'm still learning :)
    293xf8g.jpg
  • residentevilobresidentevilob Posts: 141 Member
    Maybe the Mac version will be 64 bit, making it the ultimate version.

Highly doubt that. Sims and Mac have never mixed. Thats just how EA is.
  • Allspice1232Allspice1232 Posts: 3,234 Member
    edited August 2014
    I have yet to buy a Mac...but I was going to for the release of The Sims 4. Thanks for the advice. I don't really know alot about Mac's I'm still learning :)

If you haven't bought one yet this is my advice: don't. They are overpriced for what you're getting; you're paying for the Apple logo on it more than anything. They don't do anything a computer running Windows can't do just as easily and when it comes to games, PCs are far easier to work with. No gamer would choose a Mac.

34336_s.gif
    Has anyone actually tried the demo on bootcamp?
  • residentevilobresidentevilob Posts: 141 Member

If you haven't bought one yet this is my advice: don't. They are overpriced for what you're getting; you're paying for the Apple logo on it more than anything. They don't do anything a computer running Windows can't do just as easily and when it comes to games, PCs are far easier to work with. No gamer would choose a Mac.

100% agreed. I've used Macs and I work in Computers for a living, and I can say that Apple products are the most overpriced thing ever.
    For example, you can get a $1000 Macbook Pro with the same specs as a $500 Windows Laptop. Its pathetic and nobody should be buying Macs unless they simply like throwing money away.
    Let's not turn this thread into windows vs mac discussion ...
  • mangoesandlimesmangoesandlimes Posts: 2,623 Member
    jimbbq wrote: »
    Has anyone actually tried the demo on bootcamp?

I have. It works just fine. I run TS3 on bootcamp, too (using Windows 7).
  • Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    I can honestly tell you Bootcamp is the way to go. Some ppl on the forums have seen me praise up and down about bootcamp because to me its really that great. And you're already ahead of the game since you have Win. I've played TS3 on Bootcamp and tested it out with a few EPs and SPs of course there was lag but it was seriously so much faster than my actual PC. My advice is to try it out with the CAS demo like someone said and see how it runs. If it runs great then go for it. And if you're still waiting for a MAC version then play with Bootcamp until one becomes available. If it works like SimCity then getting a PC version to work on a Mac then thats great and you could see which one runs better.

Just food for thought :)
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Allspice1232Allspice1232 Posts: 3,234 Member

100% agreed. I've used Macs and I work in Computers for a living, and I can say that Apple products are the most overpriced thing ever.
    For example, you can get a $1000 Macbook Pro with the same specs as a $500 Windows Laptop. Its pathetic and nobody should be buying Macs unless they simply like throwing money away.

Exactly, I'll never understand it. When I was looking into getting a new computer three years or so ago, I took a look at Apple's site just to see and I couldn't believe the prices. I ended up building a computer and not only was it less expensive, it was more powerful than some of their models that cost $1,000+ more. My computer cost me just over $2,000 and it can still handle most games being released today on High-Ultra settings with no problems. I doubt you could say that about the $2,000 Macs being sold at the time.
    34336_s.gif
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I Boot Camped Windows 7 on my iMac when I kept running into "unknown errors" when trying to install the game after one EP (I don't remember which one). Sims 3 runs like a charm; having 16GB RAM helps even though the game only uses 4GB. (Oddly enough though, when I tried to run the SimCity demo on my Boot Camp partition, it came back with a message that my graphics card was too old, and this machine is only 3 years old!)

I'm planning to wait for a Mac version though, assuming we actually get one (I know it was announced back in 2013 but "things change"); it'll give me a better chance to see what direction the game is going, and I'm getting tired of having to boot into Windows to play Sims 3 or the Sims 4 CAS Demo, then boot back into Mac to get work done. It all depends on how patient you are.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    As long as it is stable running bootcamp, I don't mind the hassle to switching OS to play game and to work !