Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA not allowing sites to review the Sims 4 until after release

DerellaDerella Posts: 765 Member
According to Dan Stapleton(Executive Editor at IGN), EA is not providing early access to the Sims 4 to reviewers. For those that don't know, publishers usually give sites like IGN copies of their game a few weeks early so they can have their reviews ready to go up on the day the game releases. When this doesn't happens, it's usually because a publisher is worried about bad reviews on launch day that will hurt sales.

I can't post a link apparently, but if you search Twitter for @DanStapleton, you'll find it.

Here's what he said:
"Looks like there'll be no The Sims 4 reviews until after it's out. EA tells me no one's getting access ahead of release. I'm nervous."
https://twitter.com/DanStapleton/status/501429502984355840
Post edited by Derella on

Comments

• Options
    ArixtotleArixtotle Posts: 63 Member
    Moonbarker wrote: »
    Arixtotle wrote: »
    As an MMO player I'm fairly used to that. No one gets the full game before launch of an MMO.
    But this game isn't an MMO lol.

My point is that gaming companies do this all the time. It's not really a big deal to me.
  • Options
    julieabrajulieabra Posts: 58 Member
    this doesnt surprise me. also i know cant wait to see lgrs review.
  • Options
    JoeWow1003JoeWow1003 Posts: 4,121 Member
    I think you should clarify that the part about "When this doesn't happens, it's usually because a publisher is worried about bad reviews on launch day that will hurt sales." is your opinion and is not what the guy tweeted.

There could be many reasons why they don't want to give out advanced copies of the game. If I recall Sims 3 was already being heavily pirated because the game was even officially released.

Calm down.
  • Options
    mwdonohuemwdonohue Posts: 3,307 Member
    SpunkyBeli wrote: »
    mwdonohue wrote: »
    LGR is going to have a field day...
    I know right, I love his videos I always need to make sure there is no liquid in my mouth when I'm watching

I have to make sure there is no liquid anywhere lol. I mean that too. He makes me laugh a lot. lol.
  • Options
    YuraraYurara Posts: 195 Member
    edited August 2014
    EA Shy :p
    433970o8lcd5hrbz.gif194904olsgis3xqe.gif433965qzur0la2nd.gif550470opln9i59wi.gif513122fxkl98buqt.gif

• Options
    DerellaDerella Posts: 765 Member
    edited August 2014
    > @JoeWow1003 said:
    > I think you should clarify that the part about "When this doesn't happens, it's usually because a publisher is worried about bad reviews on launch day that will hurt sales." is your opinion and is not what the guy tweeted.
    >
    > There could be many reasons why they don't want to give out advanced copies of the game. If I recall Sims 3 was already being heavily pirated because the game was even officially released.
    >
    > Calm down.

I've edited in his quote directly.

I'm being perfectly calm.
  • Options
    ArixtotleArixtotle Posts: 63 Member
    rk800 wrote: »
    I think that if a developer refuses to divulge a game for no good reason then that game should automatically get 5 points off its score.

It was just pointed out that they may be trying to limit pirating.
  • Options
    rk800rk800 Posts: 541 Member
    I think that if a developer refuses to divulge a game for no good reason then that game should automatically get 5 points off its score.

If that's true then it could be a viable reason. But something tells me they don't want their game criticized and risk depleted sales.
    2cr3bs9.png
  • Options
    munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    Ea being secretive as usual
    adventure-time-gif-creepy_zps1a2e640e.gif
  • Options
    horrorfan1980shorrorfan1980s Posts: 2,900 Member

I agree with this - after all look what happened with Sims 3.
    can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will boxed after sword is out.
  • Options
    Candyr277Candyr277 Posts: 623 Member
    Didn't they only just send the game to the printers though? From most gaming sites I've read where journalists say "received my review copy", so I always assumed they mean hard copy.
    "The great will not be constrained by the small." - BioShock

Unknown.jpeg

• Options
    JoeWow1003JoeWow1003 Posts: 4,121 Member
    a

If that's true then it could be a viable reason. But something tells me they don't want their game criticized and risk depleted sales.

Right. Most likely a reviewer leaked the game last time so EA is just supposed to say "Here guys! Have fun!"
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    edited August 2014
    JoeWow1003 wrote: »
    DrGorilla wrote: »
    This is like that game where you whisper a story down the line and see how mangled it becomes by the end, only with multiple started threads on the same topic.

It's pretty amazing around here.

I remember one time on these forums I saw in one thread someone said something like "That's like saying there aren't any toilets in the game."

Then someone replied "That proves there aren't any toilets in the game!"

Then 2 minutes later in a different thread someone said "I just read that there aren't any toilets in Sims 4? Why would EA do this?" and the conversation just took off from there.

Of course it wasn't toilets they were talking about, I just can't remember the exact details of the conversation.

I'm only human, okay DrGorilla? I can't possibly remember everything! Get off my case!

I saw that with "pee 5 times to get a reward." No one would EVER respond to my questions for a source and I'm still fairly sure it's because another member and I were discussing the RPG elements and the other person used that as an example of how extreme and annoying she thought the RPG aspects were in TS4. Next thing I knew, people were quoting it as being part of the game all over the forums.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top