Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 vs Sims 4...

I know this topic will probably go down in flames, but before it does I'd be interested to know how some of you are weighing Sims 3 and 4 up against each other. Personally I have no plans to buy Sims 4 on release day, but will wait and see what content is released in the following months. Currently, there are certain aspects of Sims 3 that I dislike and are pushing me towards 4, but there are also many many things about 4 that are pushing me to stick with 3.

For me it's like this:

For The Sims 4:
- Sims 3 has unbearably long loading times > Sims 4 is much better optimised
- Sims 3 generates many ugly NPCs with stupid clothing combinations which fill my town and I have to make-over > Sims 4 matches clothes in a much better way
- Sims 3 lots are often empty or lacking in visitors unless I throw a party > Sims 4 lots are much busier
- Sims 3 social interactions are often bland > Sims 4 has multitasking and more expressive Sims
- Sims 4 Sims look much better > but there's bloom, dark interior lighting, flat textures and clay hair

Against The Sims 4:
- Sims 3 has tons of content including toddlers, family trees, basic careers like business, cars > Sims 4 has many many missing base game features
- Sims 3 babies, while far from perfect, can be taken to community lots, can be used with rocking chairs, baby mats, swings and strollers > Sims 4 babies are forever confined to their bassinet
- Sims 3 has Create a Style which offers infinite customisation > Sims 4 loads faster but has presets only, many of which do not match each other
- Sims 3 has a vast open world > Sims 4 has a tiny closed world with loading screens and decor houses
- Sims 4 lets me populate the town with my own townies > but the world is tiny and I can't make my own neighbourhoods

I'm not entirely happy with The Sims 3, I find the things that annoy me most have been remedied in Sims 4. However, to get those it seems I would have to sacrifice a lot of other features I love, so at the moment I don't think it would be worth it. I might be tempted after some CC and EPs come out though...

Balanced and respectful arguments only please. :) And the can of worms has just been opened...

Comments

• FOS4KOFFOS4KOF Posts: 31 Member
    Babies are confined to their bassinets for now. I'm sure EA will find a way to make you pay to take them out of it and walk around with them. Create-a-Style will probably be added to a future expansion pack to incite you to purchase the expansion pack. Same with swimming pools and toddlers. Eventually TS4 will be as good as TS3, but I'm sure it's gonna cost you :)
  • dark5id3dark5id3 Posts: 2,476 Member
    I've had very few problems in Sims 3 and really love the open world and CASt. Sims 4 is taking us backwards and I don't like that. I am getting Sims 4 only because it isn't costing me anything.....otherwise, I wouldn't bother! I will check the game out when I get it but my guess is that I will continue to play Sims 3. I am tremendously disappointed in what they have done to this game.
    2rxu2ph.png
  • UtaDagdaUtaDagda Posts: 1,556 Member
    For TS4 -
    LuchADORE <3
    Dat routing fix ((Ahhh mmm))
    More life to Sims
    Much better Animation
    NO SEAMLESS OPEN WORLD <3
    Better family interactions
    More content ever shipped with any base game
    More advanced CAS and Build Mode
    Better graphics
    Emotions as part of gameplay
    Friendlier to Mod and CC
    DETAILS which are too many to name! <3 ((Like showers doing things besides raising hygiene, the whole "unsatisfying woohoo", etc.))

For TS3-
    A color wheel
    ((I can't think of anything else))

Now the TS2 to TS4 will be lots harder to choose between. Right now sliding more towards TS4 but will have to play it before I make the final call.
    Love The Sims? SIMMERSE YOURSELF. Join our community.
    I gave up singing. Sorry.
    Here have my luchADORE to cheer you up.
    luchad.pngluucha.gif
  • halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    edited August 2014
    The Sims 2 as a base game is way way better than Sims 3
    Sims 2 is also appears to be way better than Sims 4 except the Sims look better in 4

But we need to keep in mind that in Sims 3 EA at least tried to introduce new things to the game be it the open world or CASt, I'm not sure Sims 4 is offering anything revolutionary
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited August 2014
    I feel they are incomparable sure sims 4 is lacking some "key" features but perhaps it's for the best and we're not seeing the big picture. I mean it's a whole new generation of Sims. The Animation is finally as it should be. and I can't wait to see what they do with the sims 5 when time comes.
    Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    Well, in order to have full comparison, you need to wait until TS4 has several EPs. If each EP comes with a new neighborhood, then your "world" won't be so tiny because you'll be able to go everywhere. It will have more content, too.

Right now TS4 offers some gameplay plus the hope for more. By now we've seen everything that TS3 will provide (which is quite a bit). I plan to switch over to TS4, but to keep TS3 on my computer for when I feel the urge to play World Adventures or explore Into the Future some more. And if I want toddlers, I have 3 families on TS2.
  • Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    I'd disagree about the "basic careers" bit, I'd say the ones the sims 4 currently has are basic. Different, but still basic.
    Maybe in the future it will actually require a degree to be a Doctor. Shocking.
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • Lea347Lea347 Posts: 248 Member
    edited August 2014
    The main reason why I'm waiting forward TS4 is that it promise to be an easier game than the previous one . I haven't played TS3 since more than 8 months (except for building 1 or 2 houses or testing store contents) because this game is too complicated now. We need tons of CC and mods to make it playable. There are too many bugs and issues and I did spend too much time on it in order to play my families. Moreover, my computer is getting too old to handle all the EP's and it's a nightmare to use boats or doing scuba diving in Island Paradiso.

Another thing I love in TS4 is the gallery. You want to buy a new house or even a room to your sim? just open the gallery, choose one and replace your previous house. In TS3, we have to close the game, open the launcher (which is sooooo slow), open the exchange, download the house, check for CC, if there was any CC deleting it using a custom program, then install the house, return to the game, delete the old house and replace it on the lot. You want new sims in your neighborood as well? Just open the gallery, select them and they'll be in your game walking around as if they really live in your town. It's pretty easy and faster for players who don't like to spend too much time on a game, like me.
    The build mode is nice too. I' have never been a builder in the sims serie. I don't like to build houses and I'm lost when i've to use cheats or terrain tools. I know most players are unhappy because the terrain tools are basics and all lots are flat in TS4.. But I'm happy of it because it'll be easier to build houses. And no more issues caused by "dangerous" cheats like constrainfloorelevationtrue or else..

Another thing I find really crappy in TS3 are the sims themselves. I enjoyed TS3 when I played it. But I have never been fond of the sims. They're too "robotic", doing actions like robots with only idles behaviours to make them alive. I'm waiting a lot of the new emotions system. Finally, we'll have sims who behave like humans, being sad, happy, depressed...

The things I'll regret in TS3 are more linked to the EPs: seasons, horses, swimming in the sea and other interesting features. But it's more likely that we'll have it in TS4 too in the next few years.
    So, even without SP or family tree or CASt, TS4 seems very promising to me.
  • GleestickyGleesticky Posts: 508 Member
    edited August 2014
    I don't like to vs any Sims game with each other. They all have different aspects of game play that I end up enjoying.
    Forgot to say, that I do have a favorite Sim game though...
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited August 2014
    If I listed every "issue" I have with TS3 I could fill up a whole notebook. If it weren't for the awesome modding community I would never have played it. I'm on record multiple times in these forums saying as much. And yet, I did play it for the past 5 years, and enjoyed (almost) every minute of it.

I totally agree with your comment regarding the fact that many of my complaints about TS3 appear to have been addressed by TS4 but that it is disappointing that we have to sacrifice so many good things in the process.

The things from TS3 that I will actually miss is a pretty short list though:
    1. CaST
    2. Toddlers
    3. Family Tree

Pretty much for me, that's it....and I have absolutely no doubt that 2 of those 3 will come down the road (possibly all 3, but I'm not as certain about CaST as the other two).

In the process it looks like I will get sims that are actually interesting and will interact with each other and neighborhoods that feel more alive when I go to public locations and worlds that are interconnected so that every time new worlds are added with EP's I can just keep playing the same family in the same game that I had been (the lack of this feature being the thing I most hated about TS3).

I'm also expecting that when the EP that adds dating features and what not comes out (ala Hot Date/Late Night) it will actually be GOOD, unlike the lame version of dating that is in TS3. And the same for vacations, and celebrities, and entertainers, and hobbies, etc.

For so many of the expansions, they were just so...blah...in TS3 compared to previous sims games. The way TS4 goes back to being more about the Sims than the World the sims are in gives me very high hopes for how these features will be handled in this new game once they are added.

Regardless, I have no intentions of uninstalling TS3 when TS4 is released. I don't need to compare them to each other, I will play whichever takes my fancy each time I sit down and play.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    @UtaDagda, please upload your Luchadore family in the Gallery, I'd love to download and play them as well? (Also, what's your Origin ID?)
  • ANNAPTXANNAPTX Posts: 3,742 Member
    I just think comparing the various versions of The Sims is like comparing apples to oranges. I loved TS2 very much, but when TS3 came out, I was indeed excited about the open neighborhood, which has been great. I have been playing around a bit with the CAS demo for TS4...I do love the look of the sims, I think it is all going to be very interesting to see how TS4 goes.
  • RepoRepo Posts: 344 Member
    Each Sims game has is pluses and detractors. I like to play both 2 and 3. The things that drive me nuts about 2, like the lack of CAST and the long loading screens drive me to play 3, while the lack of good quality socials and long loading CAST drive me back to 2 again. I see 4 in the same way. I have no intension of forsaking 2 or 3 for 4 exclusively. I will play each one when I feel like playing it and each one for me has things that the others don't. I was on the fence too about 4 and was going to wait to see how it turned out but I got a gift card from Amazon from my Mother with strict instructions to buy something frivolous (she did this for my sisters, too). I can completely respect those who want to wait and see, as well as those who are devastated because their favorite features are missing from the game. I am rather annoyed and a little weirded out over the lack of toddlers, and I am less than thrilled by how the Sims 4 marketing has been handled.
  • murfeelmurfeel Posts: 7,584 Member
    The true test will come once TS4 is loaded full of CC/DLC and EP/SP content. It only loads so quickly cuz there's nothing dangit in it; it's just the base game. Even TS3 runs faster when you purge it of content. Wait till TS4 starts getting bogged down with content, and those patches start creeping extra crap in -- then see if Loading becomes Lagging. B)
    murfeel wrote: »
    The true test will come once TS4 is loaded full of CC/DLC and EP/SP content. It only loads so quickly cuz there's nothing dangit in it; it's just the base game. Even TS3 runs faster when you purge it of content. Wait till TS4 starts getting bogged down with content, and those patches start creeping extra crap in -- then see if Loading becomes Lagging. B)

Except that loading screens between active lots, neigbhboroods and worlds will allow players to use their old computers for a long time again, even if they play on very low technical requirements. The fact that EA choose to put so many loading screens in TS4 (while we were used to play in open worlds without any restrictions) means that they want the game to run on a very large computers specifications.. It doesn't mean that we won't have issues or lags, just that we will likely have more flexibility than in TS3..

• Kamb64Kamb64 Posts: 2,546 Member
    First off let me say that I love Sims 3. I get kind of upset when I see other simmers say bad things about it. I don't say anything because they are stating their opinion and some simmers have had a buggy experience with even though I have not. So I will refrain saying things like the load times were minimal, and my sims are not robotic and lifeless.
    With the Sims 4 I was hoping it would be like the Sims 3 on steroids. I am very disappointed that it isn't. Sims 3 offers much including multitasking, I've seen it. Sims 4 offers new emotional sims which intrigues me. The beauty of Willow Springs is very nice but there are loading screens. With everything that has been taken out of Sims 4 and everything I still have with Sims 3, I have little reason to switch. Once mods that suit my needs come out and I have cc to choose from I will try Sims 4.
  • averee90averee90 Posts: 448 Member
    What bugs me the most about Sims 4 are the gurus themselves, and how they've spouted half-truths, outright lies, and dodged questions in the past. The second thing that bugs me is all the things cut from the game.

Sims 3 gets boring sometimes, and it's those times I'd love a new simming game, but TS4 just isn't for me.
  • xsophiex9999xsophiex9999 Posts: 167 Member
    I'm looking forward to The Sims 4. It has a lot of new features that TS3 doesn't have that I am excited to try out. Yes it may not have pools or toddlers but I'm not bothered. I never used a pool anyway even though I built one for the sake of it. And I mainly skipped the toddler life stage because for me besides the walking, talking, potty training aspect of them after that there wasn't any more interesting things for them to do. The Sims 4 will defiantly be interesting to play and I wish more people would actually try give it a go before making assumptions that it will be terrible because of missed features :)
    vht3wy.jpg
    averee90 wrote: »
    What bugs me the most about Sims 4 are the gurus themselves, and how they've spouted half-truths, outright lies, and dodged questions in the past.

I don't think it's Gurus but EA's policy. If you have a job and want to keep it, you've to follow certain rules. Of course it's irritating to customers who don't have full informations on products they are going to pay. But Gurus cannot say more than what they're allowed to.

• averee90averee90 Posts: 448 Member
    edited August 2014
    Lea347 wrote: »
    averee90 wrote: »
    What bugs me the most about Sims 4 are the gurus themselves, and how they've spouted half-truths, outright lies, and dodged questions in the past.

I don't think it's Gurus but EA's policy. If you have a job and want to keep it, you've to follow certain rules. Of course it's irritating to customers who don't have full informations on products they are going to pay. But Gurus cannot say more than what they're allowed to.

Yes I understand what you mean, and I understand that they cannot tell the simmers everything, however SimGuruGrant once said that EA didn't "tamper" with Maxis, or something to that effect, apparently meaning the devs/gurus are left to their own devices. Well, that's what Grant implied.

Regardless, it's not right to be disingenuous to your fans. JMO.

Grant's exact statement: "Maxis has been a part of EA for 10 years. They don't tamper with us" Source: http://simsvip.com/2014/06/27/the-sims-4-another-post-with-guru-tweets/

Again, at best, the gurus/devs are disingenuous.

Edited to fix an error

• murfeelmurfeel Posts: 7,584 Member
    Lea347 wrote: »
    murfeel wrote: »

Except that loading screens between active lots, neigbhboroods and worlds will allow players to use their old computers for a long time again, even if they play on very low technical requirements. The fact that EA choose to put so many loading screens in TS4 (while we were used to play in open worlds without any restrictions) means that they want the game to run on a very large computers specifications.. It doesn't mean that we won't have issues or lags, just that we will likely have more flexibility than in TS3..

I guess...we'll see. :\ The world looks WAAAAY smaller though, so why even bother with loading screens -- what is there to load? *scratches head, baffled*
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top