March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How much modding is possible?

I was wondering about the depth of the modding possibilities here. Games like don't store allows some pretty stufiticaed modding.

I mainly was wondering if a multiplayer mod in some way or another would be a possibility down the road?

Comments

• ZerbuZerbu Posts: 3,457 Member
    At the moment, only custom content is really possible. It's possible to change images but there's no real purpose to that. There will probably be more modding opportunities with the full game though. :)
  • Srikandi715Srikandi715 Posts: 1,753 Member
    Like Zerbu said... currently there's no game code so there's nothing to mod ;)

I expect we'll get the full range of mods we've traditionally had in the Sims series: XML mods, script mods, core mods, and mods for every visual aspect of the game. There are some differences we know about in implementation but no reason so far to think the range of moddable things will be different.

As to true multiplayer mods, though, afaik there has never been one for a Sims game, so unless there's something unexpectedly different about the game engine for this one, I'm gonna say the answer is "no".
  • ellacharm3dellacharm3d Posts: 84 Member
    Is it wrong that I'm more looking forward to what modding capabilities are open to us than all the gameplay features? Or, rather its lack thereof...heh.
  • FOS4KOFFOS4KOF Posts: 31 Member
    So far I am extremely unimpressed by what EA has told and shown us about the game. No pools, no toddlers, only a handful of careers, fewer styling options, smaller lots, smaller neighbourhoods, sims dying at random from laughter (seriously, 🐸🐸🐸🐸?). So there are emotions, which may be pretty cool, and create-a-sim and build mode look better than ever, but I doubt it'll be enough to keep most players happy. So yeah, I am definitely looking more forward to what the modding community will be able to do than what EA is giving us. They f'd up Simcity and made it into a game not even worth playing, killing off the franchise, and from what I've seen thus far they're headed pretty much the same way with The Sims 4. A shame really, but then again; it's EA. What did we expect?
  • MadameButterflyMadameButterfly Posts: 116 Member
    At least with the Sims 4, they aren't trying to restrict modding off the bat, though, like they did with SimCity when it launched. So, some hope remains.
  • Candyr277Candyr277 Posts: 623 Member
    Modding has never been restricted in the sims games so I'm not sure why anyone even thought it would be prevented here. Their ideas for the types of things they should put in the store or in EPs come from modders.
    "The great will not be constrained by the small." - BioShock

Unknown.jpeg

• FOS4KOFFOS4KOF Posts: 31 Member
    Candyr277 wrote: »
    Modding has never been restricted in the sims games so I'm not sure why anyone even thought it would be prevented here. Their ideas for the types of things they should put in the store or in EPs come from modders.

Mainly because of the debacle that is Simcity. When modding started for Simcity, basically to get the game working at all, EA was quick to make sure the files needed where encrypted so modding was no longer possible. Don't forget that EA/Maxis today is nothing like the Maxis of a few years ago. It's all about squeezing as much money out of the players as possible. That is the main goal. Hence the premium subscription option you can see in the 30 minute gameplay video. If stuff is made available for free, be it game options like a colorwheel, different height sims, swimming pools etc, then EA stands to make less money from it, so it wouldn't surprise me. That said, I hope they learned something from the Simcity fail and that they will not only make modding the game as well as adding custom content as easy as possible, but also will listen to their loyal fanbase and make sure toddlers, swimming pools and other stuff a lot of players really, really want available as soon as possible. Simcity's recent offline mode shows us that EA's statement that an offline mode for Simcity would be impossible was simply a lie. My hope is that removing loading screens when moving between lots, building basements, having decent sizes neighbourhoods and lots, swimming pools etc will also prove to be possible. It is just not something they wanted to build into the game. Why they choose to bring out a base game that's THIS basic is beyond me. It most likely has something to do with expansion packs and making money.
  • ellacharm3dellacharm3d Posts: 84 Member
    edited August 2014
    EA never restricts modding, per se. This is true.

But it wasn't straightforward right off the bat like what they are doing with TS4's Mod folder being there from the get go. We had to jump through some hoops to mod TS3 on release day. It wasn't until Ambitions that they provided the means for custom content to be loaded via User folders.

And Simcity wasn't ever going to be mod-friendly as long as it had remained online. Any mods introduced caused rollbacks or other corruption of some kind. Actual crash-free mods were only possible when they recode the engine for offline.

I'm really really glad EA decided that being mod-friendly is the way to go for a Sandbox Simulation game as everyone has different ideas for their gameplay and different tolerance levels for bug-ridden games. And in order to support modding, any Sandbox Simulation game has to be offline.

Once they can figure out how not to segregate their customer-base on what DLCs we buy or choose not to buy, then can they start thinking of designing online Sandbox Simulation games. I hope...
  • AshkevronAshkevron Posts: 579 Member
    So far the only mod I am really hoping for is one to remove the mosaic. I hate that blur, it breaks the flow of the game and is so unnecessary. I was surprised that EA/Maxis didn't put in an option to turn if off. I can maybe understand parents wanting the censor but really it's just a ken/barbie doll type look without the blur.

But yeah, really hoping for a no mosaic mod
  • DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    Is it wrong that I'm more looking forward to what modding capabilities are open to us than all the gameplay features? Or, rather its lack thereof...heh.

It is the ONLY thing that has me keeping Sims 4 in the 'maybe' buy column. And it's hanging by a thread.

wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • IconicIconic Posts: 427 Member

It is the ONLY thing that has me keeping Sims 4 in the 'maybe' buy column. And it's hanging by a thread.

You know, that was actually the same outlook I had previously. I remember telling myself that unless NRAAS mods are coming to The Sims 4, I won't pick up the game. But...I have to admit, that's changed. I'll definitely get the game at launch, but how much I actually like the game and the future content in expansion packs and the likes will ultimately determine if I purchase more for the game or just try and stay content with the base game.

I'm excited for The Sims 4, but I'm still overall disappointed with what we've learnt so far.
    Yes, I am the one obsessed with Michael Myers.
    Origin ID: iRetr0
    tumblr_ph50sjUexV1r2aobgo3_540.gif
  • AshkevronAshkevron Posts: 579 Member
    Have you seen the new 20 minute video over in the general section? It does much better than any of the official videos in showing us the game. That video really won me over.
  • CatherinelyynnCatherinelyynn Posts: 18 Member
    Considering the size of my combined mod package files for TS3, I am REALLY looking forward to when TS4 mods are available. I'll miss NRAAS, and there a few mods that are essential for me, but I'm willing to wait until the community can produce them. I still think TS4 will be a great game, and I look forward to playing it.
  • jtravers88jtravers88 Posts: 591 Member
    edited August 2014
    You know, that was actually the same outlook I had previously. I remember telling myself that unless NRAAS mods are coming to The Sims 4, I won't pick up the game. But...I have to admit, that's changed. I'll definitely get the game at launch, but how much I actually like the game and the future content in expansion packs and the likes will ultimately determine if I purchase more for the game or just try and stay content with the base game.

I'm excited for The Sims 4, but I'm still overall disappointed with what we've learnt so far.

I too purchased the Sims 3 and played for awhile. However, without NRAAS mods, and my own, after I learned how Twallan created his, I would NEVER have played the game as long as I did. I NEVER would have purchased all the EPs etc..

So, if EA doesn't present us with the ability to create game mods the game will surely suffer in the long run. And based on what I've seen this year of the disposition of the producers, it won't surprise me at all if they make that fatal mistake.

To look at the glass half full, they've mentioned Python, which means they will want to depend on modders from some small game mods, probably easier ways to create tuning mods. That's progress. But it also means the glass is half empty, in that they might only want us to have that tuning type ability, with no means for interpreting the main game code.

In which case I'll be knocking the glass over and moving on.

Twallan is gone, (something tells me he might be back), but Inge and others might be able to correct me here if I'm wrong.
  • gsmythegsmythe Posts: 8 New Member
    Images, animation, and meshes. Objects and scripts will need the full game.