Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Poll: Should all users be required to own a Sims game to post to the forums?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    Lazarus_B4RLazarus_B4R Posts: 1,827 Member
    nateslice wrote: »
    Personally i think everyone that paid to play this game should start with all the same privileges until they prove that they don't deserve them.

I understand the sentiment there, but we don't actually have registration codes yet, and that's how you prove you've paid for the game. You may have a preorder in the system, but preorders can be cancelled, so that's not enough to satisfy a hypothetical "paid for the game" requirement.

Also, people with legitimate questions about Sims 4 who are on the fence about whether or not to buy it should be able to post here.

Additionally, this forum is now also the official Sims 3 forum. People who've already decided to stick with Sims 3 for now should also be able to post here.

simsbytheslice.wordpress.com

Actually i entirely agree with you. I should have mentioned that i was not referring to only The Sims 4, guess i made the mistake of assuming people understood that i was referring to all the game versions that this new forum covers. :)

Personally i do plan to stick with The Sims 3 for quite some time myself.
  • Options
    YouLiekThaitYouLiekThait Posts: 21 Member
    I don't really think that would be entirely fair. Although I have purchased just about every Sims game and expansion from the beginning (minus the worthless Stuff packs), there are some people who might come to the forums to ask questions before buying a game. If they're entirely new to the series, this would prevent them from getting answers before making the investment.
  • Options
    munchie885munchie885 Posts: 8,439 Member
    giphy2_zps022dd428.gif

Either you should be allowed to post if you already have a sims 3 registered account
    or
    If you have a copy of the sims 4.
  • Options
    BadmagicBadmagic Posts: 1,610 Member
    Initial guest account with no ability to add links, images etc and a post limit of 12 posts per 24 hours, upgradable to a proper member account with a full game key registration.

Banning by IP is a very bad idea due to ISP's using dynamic IP allocation and its why its practically never used outside of amateur sites.
  • Options
    Lazarus_B4RLazarus_B4R Posts: 1,827 Member
    I guess the main point i was trying to make was taken the entirely opposite way i intended it to be taken. O.o I believe everyone should start with the same "Rank and Privileges". I don't think you should have to play what amounts to a *popularity contest* to earn privileges.

My issue was that I've been playing The Sims since the first version, I've been a member of the TS3 site for over 5 years..Why should i have to *earn* privileges? Take them away if i abuse them, but i shouldn't have to earn them..again. >_>
  • Options
    BadmagicBadmagic Posts: 1,610 Member
    I guess the main point i was trying to make was taken the entirely opposite way i intended it to be taken. O.o I believe everyone should start with the same "Rank and Privileges". I don't think you should have to play what amounts to a *popularity contest* to earn privileges.

My issue was that I've been playing The Sims since the first version, I've been a member of the TS3 site for over 5 years..Why should i have to *earn* privileges? Take them away if i abuse them, but i shouldn't have to earn them..again. >_>
    Shouldn't be any need to earn anything over, its normal on forums to have limited and hidden sub sections with restricted visibility or access.

If you register a #3 key you could have full member access to the #3 section, register a #4 key you get access to the #4 section and likewise, register #4 but not #3 and you only have guest access to the #3 section but full access to the #4 section etc.
  • Options
    Snosrap522Snosrap522 Posts: 754 Member
    Candyr277 wrote: »
    My comment about the inane and repetitive threads people make - i.e. yet another thread popped up today asking if pools and toddlers were really not in TS4, I kid you not - was just that a comment. An observation. This is still supposed to be an informative place for people. If it's filled with junk that purpose starts to be defeated because you have to sift though the junk to get to the good stuff. At no point did I say that people shouldn't be allowed to create a thread about every banal thought that pops into their head. Those, I roll my eyes at and move on.

I think this is just to bait the forum and keep negativity at the forefront. Just ignore but I do agree the forum should be a place to ask questions a question section about game ( not a tech thread ) would be a good ideas for newcomers.
  • Options
    LEvans102071LEvans102071 Posts: 448 Member
    Seriously, the stupidity from the "new members" are annoying...

What a completely awesome idea!! Then there'd be no worries of people finding out how (potentially) bad the game turns out to be! They can get suckered into buying because they wouldn't be able to read info/ask questions! Brilliant! I'm sure the execs at EA will pounce on this idea!

/sarcasm

People should be able to access the forums, regardless of whether or not they own TS4. If you don't like a post, click away. If someone makes a post that violates the rules, report it.
  • Options
    LightestsLightests Posts: 853 Member
    edited August 2014
    personally i think they should own the game ... it would stop all the rage posts that have gotten old fast :\
    only let people who own the Sims 4 post in the sims 4 section and so on (sims 3 post in the sims 3 section)
    tumblr_n4lzmoWGk41s7cn3go1_400.gif
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Lightests wrote: »
    personally i think they should own the game ... it would stop all the rage posts that have gotten old fast :\
    only let people who own the Sims 4 post in the sims 4 section and so on (sims 3 post in the sims 3 section)

I have to agree with you on this one. In an official game forum, there's no place for folks who haven't purchased it.

My apologies to those who would get left out, but there are a whole lot of online communities and fansites out there. There's no place, in my opinion, in the "official" forums for folks who just want to bait other people and requiring ownership is the best way of keeping (most) of those types out.

I agree regarding the restricting Sims 4 forums and Sims 3 forums separately by ownership because this also isn't the place for "wars" between which game is better...again, there are other online communities for that sort of thing, but I don't feel official forums are the place for it.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    xtinagaga97xtinagaga97 Posts: 600 Member
    Seamoan wrote: »
    Candyr277 wrote: »
    Seamoan wrote: »
    Does owning the free TS2 UC count?

Honestly though, I don't. I think people who are interested in a game should be able to engage players on the official forum with questions. I hate the idea of blocking everyone because of one or two trollish people that want to spam 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and stupid threads.

Once the game launches there will be YouTube vids galore. They can watch vids and read fan sites. Aside from the trolls, I noticed people make some really inane threads asking questions that have been answered multiple times because they're too lazy to do use Google. These forums are a hot mess.

Why should unofficial sites have to deal with threads full of noob questions? That is the job of the official forum.

Personally, I don't mind helping people and am not bothered if it's the same question a million times a day. If I didn't want to see it, I wouldn't come to the official site, I'd go somewhere else.
    Maybe they could implement a "new gamers" section for people who don't own the game. Or get better moderators...
    Seriously, the stupidity from the "new members" are annoying...

What a completely awesome idea!! Then there'd be no worries of people finding out how (potentially) bad the game turns out to be! They can get suckered into buying because they wouldn't be able to read info/ask questions! Brilliant! I'm sure the execs at EA will pounce on this idea!

/sarcasm

People should be able to access the forums, regardless of whether or not they own TS4. If you don't like a post, click away. If someone makes a post that violates the rules, report it.
    Well to access the forums in the past you needed to have a registered game whether it was for The Sims 2 Forums (RIP) or The Sims 3 Forums, so it is not an outlandish idea. People buy things without the use of forums all the time. There are reviews and ratings to look at.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    MylitaMylita Posts: 4,447 Member
    I think anyone who owns any Sims game should be able to post on any of the forums. Non game owners should have restrictions on what they can post and how many threads they should be able to start, like they do now that EA has begun to pay attention. No more spamming with obscene pictures. I agree that once they've purchased a game, then any ban should be linked to that game code and they should be required to buy a new base game, not just an EP or SP to get a new account. Make it as expensive as possible for posters who post obscene pictures/posts or make threats.

I don't know how long it will take me to forget what I saw, my eyes still burn.

Mylita
    No friends requests, please.
  • Options
    Sim_RomanovSim_Romanov Posts: 45 Member
    Maybe a few months after release, only for the sake of those who can't afford it right away or perhaps don't have the game released in their territory as early as the official date. And then I think it should only be trolls who get banned. The old days of Sims 3 forum where one could be banned for sneezing was a time I don't want to relive.
  • Options
    SmellySimFeetSmellySimFeet Posts: 199 Member
    Isn't this forum gonna be a wasteland when this rule would be implemented?
  • Options
    xtinagaga97xtinagaga97 Posts: 600 Member
    The other forum required it, so I wouldn't see how...
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    SmellySimFeetSmellySimFeet Posts: 199 Member
    The other forum required it, so I wouldn't see how...

Sims 3 was a commercial success, will Sims 4 be one?
  • Options
    FOS4KOFFOS4KOF Posts: 31 Member
    > @xtinagaga97 said:
    > Seriously, the stupidity from the "new members" are annoying...

thanks a lot. I have been playing the sims since TS1 and am now considered to be a 'new member'. According to you I'm annoying just because I'm a 'new member'? Way to welcome 'new members', I feel all warm inside now. Thank you so much.