Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mods set up and configuration file.

Bronwin2Bronwin2 Posts: 2,010 Member
edited August 2014 in General Mods Discussion
Do we set this up the same way we did for Sims 3? What should the configuration file look like?

Comments

• Options
    MadameButterflyMadameButterfly Posts: 116 Member
    edited August 2014
    I think there will be a folder in place already. I have to figure out where I saw that, though.

Edit:

"Attendees were told to expect several things from mod support in The Sims 4, including the use of Python for coding, a directory for mods being located in the user data folder, an expanding document that will help users avoid conflicts with any custom-created content, and a dedicated modding section in the official forums. "

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/05/ea-reveals-details-about-mod-support-in-the-sims-4
  • Options
    I have the demo and there is a Mods folder. The user data folder looks very much like Sims 3.
  • Options
    I did some quick tests. Unlike Sims 3 there is no packages folder in the Mods folder. There does not seem to be any need for one. The configuration file simply reads: Priority 500PackedFile *.packagePackedFile *\*.package

This file is automaticaly generated by the Demo. It looks as though with this configuration you can have one level of sub-folders inside the Mods folder.
  • Options
    Ahh, I see. I don't have the demo, so I can't play with it yet. I think with the Sims 2 & 3, I have gone no deeper than 4 sub-folder levels, if that.
  • Options
    granthesgranthes Posts: 93 Member
    From what I can see, the mods support structure (the resource.cfg files) are identical between the Demo and TS3. If the full game has the same structure as the Demo we will be able to do many of the same things with CC as we did in TS3.
    Grant (granthes)
    Developer of Sims 4 Modding Tools -- Sims 4 Stuff n Things
  • Options
    Sounds good!
  • Options
    steve7859steve7859 Posts: 3,824 Member
    Im pretty sure there is a folder
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    I don't know how to read or set up the resource.cfg file but does it support subfolders? Will there be an amended one that will support subfolders because I like keeping organised. :)
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    granthesgranthes Posts: 93 Member
    blewis823 wrote: »
    I don't know how to read or set up the resource.cfg file but does it support subfolders? Will there be an amended one that will support subfolders because I like keeping organised. :)

The resource.cfg file is just a text file that tells the game where to look for your CC. You can add the same sub-folder structure as we saw in TS3 by using a TS3 resource.cfg file. (90% certain, anyway)
    Grant (granthes)
    Developer of Sims 4 Modding Tools -- Sims 4 Stuff n Things
  • Options
    blewis823blewis823 Posts: 9,046 Member
    Thank you @granthes.
    Nothing to see. I don't even care about the forums.
  • Options
    blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited August 2014
    granthes wrote: »
    blewis823 wrote: »

The resource.cfg file is just a text file that tells the game where to look for your CC. You can add the same sub-folder structure as we saw in TS3 by using a TS3 resource.cfg file. (90% certain, anyway)
    Yes I was thinking the same when I saw the Resource.cfg file for the Sims 4 CAS Demo.

It already has two levels that look like this for the CAS Demo.
    Priority 500
    PackedFile *.package
    PackedFile *\*.package

It would be similar to the Sims 3 Resource.cfg file which is five sub-levels deep.
    Priority 501
    DirectoryFiles Files/... autoupdate
    Priority 500
    PackedFile Packages/*.package
    PackedFile Packages/*/*.package
    PackedFile Packages/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Packages/*/*/*/*/*.package
    Priority 499
    PackedFile Test/*.package
    PackedFile Test/*/*.package
    PackedFile Test/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Test/*/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Test/*/*/*/*/*.package
    Priority -50
    PackedFile Probation/*.package
    PackedFile Probation/*/*.package
    PackedFile Probation/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Probation/*/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile Probation/*/*/*/*/*.package
    Priority 500
    PackedFile DCCache/*.dbc

This is just a guess messing around and created as an example for visual aid. So don't read too much into this as I have not played around with any mods/cc for the CAS Demo.

Possible Sims 4 example.
    Priority 501
    DirectoryFiles Files/... autoupdate
    Priority 500
    PackedFile *.package
    PackedFile *\*.package
    PackedFile *\*\*.package
    PackedFile *\*\*\*.package
    PackedFile *\*\*\*\*.package
    Priority 500
    PackedFile WhereverTheCustomContentFolderIsLocated\*.fileType

Not sure if the Priority 501 DirectoryFiles Files/... autoupdate is needed as well as the end for location of the CC folder in the game. This example also goes five levels deep. However, idk if there is a maximum sub-level and what that number is. I also noticed they are using the backslash instead of the forward slash this time around. ;)
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • Options
    LEvans102071LEvans102071 Posts: 448 Member
    Has anyone figured out a way to make subfolders work? I tried using the Sims 3 (with adjustments) in the CAS Demo, and it doesn't seem to be working for me.
  • Options
    Please post the configuration set up you are using.
  • Options
    This is what I tried...
    Priority 500
    PackedFile "Packages\*.package"
    PackedFile "Packages\*\*.package"
    PackedFile "Packages\*\*\*.package"
    PackedFile "Packages\*\*\*\*.package"
    PackedFile "Packages\*\*\*\*\*.package"

• Options
    Shimrod101Shimrod101 Posts: 304 Member
    The Resource.cfg file in my CasDemo looks like this:

Priority 500PackedFile *.packagePackedFile *\*.package

I've altered it to this and it works fine:

Priority 500PackedFile *.packagePackedFile *\*.packagePackedFile *\*\*.packagePackedFile *\*\*\*.package

I've made new folders in the Mods folder (note that there is no folder called "Packages"). And I have made subfolders in these new ones.
    Like this: Mods\ShimrodsJunk\ShimClothingRecolors. It works fine in the Demo with my CC files in these folders.
  • Options
    DarklingDarkling Posts: 6,327 Member
    @blewis823, I'm also hoping for sub-folder functionality to be added to the Base Game. I just installed some CC to test out the system and had to chuck everything into the Mods folder without sub-folders to get it to show up in the demo. It is a hot mess in there. :o My Adrian Monk OCD is kicking up to epic proportions...

On the bright side, however, all my shinies show up! :)
    14785081519_9e388018bc_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    not needed
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Shimrod101 wrote: »
    The Resource.cfg file in my CasDemo looks like this:

Priority 500PackedFile *.packagePackedFile *\*.package

I've altered it to this and it works fine:

Priority 500PackedFile *.packagePackedFile *\*.packagePackedFile *\*\*.packagePackedFile *\*\*\*.package

I've made new folders in the Mods folder (note that there is no folder called "Packages"). And I have made subfolders in these new ones.
    Like this: Mods\ShimrodsJunk\ShimClothingRecolors. It works fine in the Demo with my CC files in these folders.

Okay, I copied and pasted into a new text file... made a back-up of the original, and saved as the cfg. When I try to start the demo I get the following:

2wgsvut.jpg

For clarification, this is what I have in the cfg:

If I revert back to the original cfg, it starts fine..
  • Options
    Shimrod101Shimrod101 Posts: 304 Member
    The .cfg file I've written works fine for me. What I did was NOT write a new notepad file and name it .cfg, I copied the original somewhere safe, then rewrote the Resource.cfg that was there, adding in the new text, and saved it. It may sound absurd that this would make any difference, but this is how I did it. I notice also on my file if I take Properties and then PreviousVersions tab, the original version comes up in the list, so Windows recognizes this file as a new version of the original file; if this makes a difference.
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    edited August 2014
    Edit: Found it, I was looking in wrong spot lol.
  • Options
    The .cfg file I've written works fine for me. What I did was NOT write a new notepad file and name it .cfg, I copied the original somewhere safe, then rewrote the Resource.cfg that was there, adding in the new text, and saved it. It may sound absurd that this would make any difference, but this is how I did it. I notice also on my file if I take Properties and then PreviousVersions tab, the original version comes up in the list, so Windows recognizes this file as a new version of the original file; if this makes a difference.

That is weird.. but it seemed to have fixed the problem..

Thanks for the help!

• Options
    You need to pay attention to the file extension. The file name must be: resource.cfg not resource.txt. Now the resource file is a text file and can be opened and edited with notepad, but if you save it it will do so as a .txt file which the game cannot read. It's easy to miss this it you have windows set up to hide file extensions.
  • Options
    CharrLintuCharrLintu Posts: 44 Member
    There is already a folder there. I was looking through my CAS Demo folder, and it said MODS, so I clicked it and it had Resource.cfg there too already, which was good of EA & Maxis. They have recently said they have known about the huge amount of mods up players used, so wanted to bring it automatically to TS4. So in this case, you won't have to mess around with the folders, but I was advice to put in a /packages folder automatically, as when they bring the full game out, packages and MODS will have to be separate, as MODS interact with game play and packages are like clothes, furniture, patterns ect.. (That's how I do it anyway). Hope you have sorted it any who!
  • Options
    blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    This makes perfect sense to me. :p
    Nice to see you around these new forums! ;)

Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).