Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Member or new Member? Everything you need to know ;)

Comments

• RachelRosebudRachelRosebud Posts: 1,103 Member
    If a ranking system helps to cut back on the spam, I think it's a good idea. I just lurked on the forums today, too afraid to come out with all the horrible plum.
  • Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    @MapiyaSims - I like your idea better. :D
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    Darkslayer wrote: »
    rk800 wrote: »
    Shouldn't it just go by how long you've been here and not "points"? -__-

This. I've been here a grand total of 1 and 1/2 days. I've already got 400+ points because I post a lot.

If somebody wanted to troll they could just be a social member of the community for a couple of hours and then start spamming the same rubbish that was happening before.

Edit: Well, I say I've been here for 1 and 1/2 days but it's probably more like just 1/2 since I've had to sleep, go to work and basically didn't spend all day and night here. It'd be reasonable to assume a troll could spend a couple of hours building up enough points to then completely thrash this place.

That's true, but if disagrees and flags really do reduce your score, those trolls can be buried much faster and it gives us some power too

It does seem to be working actually. Could it be? Has EA actually done something that WORKS?!
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    SirenHart wrote: »
    I am a proud lurker since may 2010 B) I have 30 points. I guess I got some serious non-lurker tendencies to master so I can become a member. Why does it have to matter so much to me to be considered a member? I am so not neurotic, like totally not, not even a little bit.

You have 51 points now ;)
  • metalfenix_Rafmetalfenix_Raf Posts: 536 Member
    And we have a troll lurking out there...at least the new member restrictions works. But it's flooding with new threads...new members should not be able to open new threads.
    Want to see my sims? find me in the Gallery by my Origin ID: metalfenix_Raf

Want to see the Custom Content CAS Pieces I created? Check ModTheSims, Sims 4 Studio Forums
  • nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    - So does that mean that if we could post photos before we can't now and if we could quote before then we can't now?

- Also what happens if you become a member with exactly 50 points and then you say: "Willy nilly, TS4 is awesomesauce!" and 5 nay-sayers disagree or vice-versa you say "Wonkers bonkers, TS4 is gonna FAIL." and 5 yay-sayers disagree? Do you get knocked back down to New Member? Or do you get to keep your Member status?

- Another question is if you still have to register your games to post in these forums then can't EA just block spammers by locking out their origin game codes? The user would have to not only register again but would also have to re-purchase the Sims to get a new code.

Just curious since I am a new member.
  • BreeSashaBreeSasha Posts: 637 Member
    Ah ok I was not aware of this yet.
  • SirenHartSirenHart Posts: 272 Member
    Wow. This is so weird. I had only 30points, made one post and got three new badges getting 45 points all to do with commenting and before I could come back here to reply I got a member ranking, due to likes. Thanks guys!
    Thank you @MapiyaSims :D and everyone else who liked my post before I could post this one and say thanks.
    Interested in Resident Evil (BioHazard) Builds and Sims?
    Look for my Origin ID:
    There is no Custom Content in my game, so all uploads are 100% CC FREE!
  • DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited August 2014
    And we have a troll lurking out there...at least the new member restrictions works. But it's flooding with new threads...new members should not be able to open new threads.

This might be the next step that needs to be taken, but it also might be too restrictive. What if someone who doesn't normally post here needs help with something in their game? They wouldn't be able to come here and post a new topic asking for help without first having to rack up enough points.

If the moderators are as consistently quick off the mark as they have been so far tonight it might be tolerable as is.

• QuelsimmyQuelsimmy Posts: 531 Member
    @nanashi-sims
    yes

disagree doesn't influence points
    - So does that mean that if we could post photos before we can't now and if we could quote before then we can't now? <br />
    <br />
    - Also what happens if you become a member with exactly 50 points and then you say: "Willy nilly, TS4 is awesomesauce!" and 5 nay-sayers disagree or vice-versa you say "Wonkers bonkers, TS4 is gonna FAIL." and 5 yay-sayers disagree? Do you get knocked back down to New Member? Or do you get to keep your Member status?<br />
    <br />
    - Another question is if you still have to register your games to post in these forums then can't EA just block spammers by locking out their origin game codes? The user would have to not only register again but would also have to re-purchase the Sims to get a new code. <br />
    <br />

1. Yes that is what it means, you quotes appear different and not in nice little box
    2. Not sure, probably. However, I'm not sure if disagrees will decrease points as another member above me said.
    3. Currently you only need an Origin account to sign in. :)
  • I_am_beanI_am_bean Posts: 1,568 Member
    Here's another question. Though this new system of "dislikes" helps keep out the riffraff, does this not also open the floodgates for trolls to just go around "disliking" everyone's posts and thus bring everyone's scores down?
    I_am_bean wrote: »
    Here's another question. Though this new system of "dislikes" helps keep out the riffraff, does this not also open the floodgates for trolls to just go around "disliking" everyone's posts and thus bring everyone's scores down?

Do dislikes have a negative impact on scores?
  • Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »

I don't believe Disagree counts factor into your point total.

Origin ID: nik24x7
    Quelsimmy wrote: »
    Yup, reports (& maybe flags too) surely do lower your points:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/profile/3216532/LILHUNNYSUCKS

It appears it does lower scores...
    Nik24X7 wrote: »

I don't believe Disagree counts factor into your point total.

Good! Some people really just use them to troll :/

On an unrelated note, I just noticed I passed 3000 comments :O

Quelsimmy wrote: »
    Yup, reports (& maybe flags too) surely do lower your points:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/profile/3216532/LILHUNNYSUCKS

It appears it does lower scores...

I tested in on you and your score stayed the same :blush:
  • keyb0xkeyb0x Posts: 1,641 Member
    - So does that mean that if we could post photos before we can't now and if we could quote before then we can't now?

- Also what happens if you become a member with exactly 50 points and then you say: "Willy nilly, TS4 is awesomesauce!" and 5 nay-sayers disagree or vice-versa you say "Wonkers bonkers, TS4 is gonna FAIL." and 5 yay-sayers disagree? Do you get knocked back down to New Member? Or do you get to keep your Member status?

- Another question is if you still have to register your games to post in these forums then can't EA just block spammers by locking out their origin game codes? The user would have to not only register again but would also have to re-purchase the Sims to get a new code.

Yeah, that's an interesting question. People could in theory go on a campaign to disagree with someone back to new member status. But I think perhaps they should maybe restrict the amount of agrees and disagrees we can give per day so that we must use them sparingly and on posts we actually truly agree or disagree on.
    lol. Does that upgrade my status to "Test Subject"?
    keyb0x wrote: »

Yeah, that's an interesting question. People could in theory go on a campaign to disagree with someone back to new member status. But I think perhaps they should maybe restrict the amount of agrees and disagrees we can give per day so that we must use them sparingly and on posts we actually truly agree or disagree on.

As I said above, it doesn't seem like the disagreeing lowers the score.
  • blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member

Yes they do but as you can see Dislike is disabled. The Disagree button is enabled. However, it doesn't promote or bury the post or give any points. It's not as "negative" as a Dislike which will cost the member -1 point and will bury a post.

The Vanilla forums is new and has lots of features that are being turned off/on to see what is effective or ineffective in reference to behavior. There's more automation with this system like spam filtering, etc... Whatever is not apart of the base code for Vanilla would have to be added by the web team devs via testing and implementation.

Features that haven't been enabled may be down the line but in waves. The system does have some troll preventive measures but keep in mind things are continuously being adjusted.
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
    lol. Does that upgrade my status to "Test Subject"?

Yes, yes it does >:)
  • QuelsimmyQuelsimmy Posts: 531 Member
    Update: Getting flagged for spam or abuse lowers your points with 1
  • keyb0xkeyb0x Posts: 1,641 Member
    keyb0x wrote: »

As I said above, it doesn't seem like the disagreeing lowers the score.

Yeah, caught that too late. This is good.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top