Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Good laptop for running The Sims 4?

I'm looking for a good computer to run the Sims 4. Keep in mind I'm not a hardcore gamer, the Sims 4 will probably be the only game I'll have on my laptop. Here's what's caught my eye, is it good? http://www.staples.com/Toshiba-Satellite-C55-B5270-156-Laptop-8GB-Memory-500GB-Hard-Drive-Intel/product_1064943?cmArea=home_box1

Comments

• MaikenvvMaikenvv Posts: 18 Member
    Keep in mind, that laptops aren't made for gaming. You'll never get a A+ performance on a laptop. That being said, a actual graphic card helps on a laptop. Intel HD graphics is an integrated graphics processor.
  • KscSimmerKscSimmer Posts: 126 Member
    Maikenvv wrote: »
    Keep in mind, that laptops aren't made for gaming. You'll never get a A+ performance on a laptop. That being said, a actual graphic card helps on a laptop. Intel HD graphics is an integrated graphics processor.
    Doesn't the game render like the Sims 3? I had a 600 dollar laptop with all expansion packs for ts3 and it worked great for me.
  • Fiever7Fiever7 Posts: 884 Member

Um what rock have you been under? There are gaming grade laptops ans even decent priced amd apu laptops can do some decent gaming since they have a real gpu core in them.
    Heck my i3-4130 runs the sims3 at 1080p 60fps on medium settins stable.

IRJsECv.png
    edited August 2014
    KscSimmer wrote: »
    Doesn't the game render like the Sims 3? I had a 600 dollar laptop with all expansion packs for ts3 and it worked great for me.

I've actually played the Sims 3 on three devices:
    1. A laptop with Intel HD graphics
    2. My MacBook with windows installed with Intel HD graphics
    3. A desktop with with windows installed with nVidea

The first laptop with Intel HD graphics could power the sims 3, but the graphics couldn't go that high. It had a long loading time. The MacBook had better graphics, loading was shorter but it got hot very quick (metal). Last I installed it on my desktop with a separate graphic card and a processor older than the one in the MacBook. I could set all graphic settings to maximum and it would still run fast. However, I didn't know what I was missing till I tried it.

So yeah, you can get the laptop. But if you really like to play the sims with good graphic get one with either:
    1. A good processor
    2. A separate graphic card.
    Fiever7 wrote: »

Um what rock have you been under? There are gaming grade laptops ans even decent priced amd apu laptops can do some decent gaming since they have a real gpu core in them.

Let's keep in nice, shall we? I've not been under a rock. I've played the sims on 3 devices and also seen a lot of others play it on a lot of devices. It all depends on what you want / expect. I for one, like my sims fast en on maximum settings.

I also know there are decent priced gaming laptops, but the one KscSimmer gave is not one.

The first laptop with Intel HD graphics could power the sims 3, but the graphics couldn't go that high. It had a long loading time. The MacBook had better graphics, loading was shorter but it got hot very quick (metal). Last I installed it on my desktop with a separate graphic card and a processor older than the one in the MacBook. I could set all graphic settings to maximum and it would still run fast. However, I didn't know what I was missing till I tried it.

So yeah, you can get the laptop. But if you really like to play the sims with good graphic get one with either:
    1. A good processor

Let's keep in nice, shall we? I've not been under a rock. I've played the sims on 3 devices and also seen a lot of others play it on a lot of devices. It all depends on what you want / expect. I for one, like my sims fast en on maximum settings.

I also know there are decent priced gaming laptops, but the one KscSimmer gave is not one.

I'm not looking for a maximized gaming experience, I'm fine with medium graphic quality, and besides, didn't TechGuru Ryan announce that the Sims 4 will run much smoother on lower end computers? All my concern is, that I have a computer that can play TS4.
  • Devynsims00Devynsims00 Posts: 3,392 Member

Same, I play Sims 3 on my Acer Laptop and am able to play the game with expansions with medium graphics & shadows off. Only glitches I've encountered have been what any other Simmer has experienced with normal game bugs.

Model - Aspire V3-551
    Processor - AMD A8-4500 APU with Radeon(tm) HD graphics 1.90GHz
    AMD Radeon HD 7640G
    Installed memory(RAM)- 4.00 GB
    Systemtype - 64-bit operating System

So I am hoping I will be able to play TS4 with no problem. According to http://en.checkreq.com/the-sims-4 I should be able to, so here is hoping is all well :smiley:
    OJGRGDT.gif

1. A good processor

Intel HD graphics: For lush, detailed images. HDMI output enables simple connection to an HDTV or other high-definition display. Is what comes in the computer with the link I provided. Is that what you're talking about?
    edited August 2014
    I'm not looking for a maximized gaming experience, I'm fine with medium graphic quality, and besides, didn't TechGuru Ryan announce that the Sims 4 will run much smoother on lower end computers? All my concern is, that I have a computer that can play TS4.

In your case I would get one with either a good processor or separate graphic card. The link you gave had a Intel® Pentium® N3530 Processor. Try an i3, i5 or a AMD version of that one. A good processor makes a lot of difference. You can get a good cheap gaming laptop these days. The one you gave isn't one.

For example: for a 100$ more you could get this laptop. http://www.staples.com/ASUS-NOTEBOOKS-G550JK-DS71-ROG-Laptop/product_IM1UK7928 It actually has a i7 intel processor and a graphic card.

My point being: for the same amount of money, you can buy a laptop that will give you a better experience.
    I would say an i3 with a 4000+ series of intel graphics should do you just fine.
    Or find a good quad core AMD APU laptop like an A8 or higher which should net you some good results and are fairly cheap. Though try and make sure it has 8GB RAM since for general usage even these days asks for more and more ram. (Chrome lol 4GB usage 🐸🐸🐸🐸)
    IRJsECv.png
    edited August 2014
    This one also looks nice. Same price, but:
    • i5 processor
    • Intel HD 4000
    • 8GB RAM
    • 1TB hard disk
    http://www.staples.com/Lenovo-59380376-G500s-156-Laptop/product_62138

I would say an i3 with a 4000+ series of intel graphics should do you just fine.
    Or find a good quad core AMD APU laptop like an A8 or higher which should net you some good results and are fairly cheap. Though try and make sure it has 8GB RAM since for general usage even these days asks for more and more ram. (Chrome lol 4GB usage 🐸🐸🐸🐸)

I agree, but why settle for less when you can get more for the same price?
    • i5 processor
    • Intel HD 4000
    • 8GB RAM
    • 1TB hard disk

Last time I bother you lol. Those two you suggested or, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-aspire-m5-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-6gb-memory-500gb-hard-drive-silver/3339002.p?id=1219090454895&skuId=3339002&st=pcmcat287600050003_categoryid$abcat0502000&cp=1&lp=1
    edited August 2014
    @KscSimmer

that depends on the rest of your needs. It it more expensive, but it has touch technology, voice recognition and other things. If you really want that or need it, you should buu the last one. If you do, I'd advise you to upgrade the RAM to 8GB or more. 6GB isn't a lot these days.

And you aren't bothering me. I only hope you don't think I'm pushing you or something. Just trying to help really. I know what it's like to buy the wrong laptop and be really disappointed.
    @KscSimmer

that depends on the rest of your needs. It it more expensive, but it has touch technology, voice recognition and other things. If you really want that or need it, you should buu the last one. If you do, I'd advise you to upgrade the RAM to 8GB or more. 6GB isn't a lot these days.

And you aren't bothering me. I only hope you don't think I'm pushing you or something. Just trying to help really. I know what it's like to buy the wrong laptop and be really disappointed.

Not at all! I really appreciate the help.
    • i5 processor
    • Intel HD 4000
    • 8GB RAM
    • 1TB hard disk

because that i5 is just essentially an i3 http://ark.intel.com/products/72164/Intel-Core-i5-3230M-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_20-GHz-rPGA
    IRJsECv.png
    i5 has a better performance than i3 in most cases. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2416592,00.asp
  • deadlydeviantdeadlydeviant Posts: 17 Member
    I have an i7 and it runs everything great, the only thing i dislike about it is its windows 8, but thats an easy fix.
  • Southernbelle1283Southernbelle1283 Posts: 398 Member
    It honestly depends on how much you're willing to spend. I bought an awesome rig for $1200 that should last me for years. 16GB ram, 128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Intel HD + Nvidia GeForc GTX 765 M, i7 Processor with a Bluray player and 17.3 inch screen. It runs TS3, Skyrim, Lara Croft, all on max settings while playing a movie on the big screen.
    http://mobile.adorama.com/GIP27KCF2.html
    Signature-Light-2.jpg

Origin ID: simmerdownsouth
    Twitter: @simmerdownsouth
    My Sims 4 Blog/Stories: http://www.simmerdownsouth.com/
    YouTube Channel: SimmerDownSouth
    i5 has a better performance than i3 in most cases. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2416592,00.asp

Yes when we are more talking about Desktop cpus not mobile. Though even this i3 I have with a decent video card can run BF4 and stuff.
    In general computing when the cpu is using multiple cores the i5 and i7 will always be top. When gaming i5 wont bottleneck top end gpus GTX770+ but even the bottleneck isn't that big of a deal when the game is running 60+fps on a 60hz monitor.
    Also it's down to cpu heavy games vs gpu heavy games.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXPK9doyMLg
    IRJsECv.png
  • fadingaudiofadingaudio Posts: 933 Member
    I agree with Maikenvv. The only thing I'd suggest is look for the same models on newegg.com, you'll get a better price and faster delivery.
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    KscSimmer, first let me say if you are going to buy a laptop i highly suggest you buy one that can run smoothly for the whole series, which means you need to think of how future EPs and DLCs will tax a system so at the very least dont consider an i3 processor or integrated chip.

it really does matter

sadly laptops are not as equipped to handled demanding programs like games so you actually need to buy high specs to get the performance of an decent mid range gaming PC

now i caution even an i5 processor - again laptops because of the heat issue dont have the same power as a PC so all of its components performance less then its PC counter

now i understand many think 4 will not be taxing but the same was thought of 3 - it wasnt until EPs started to roll out that people began to have issues

so at the very least look for i5 but better i7 processor, and you really need a proper dedicated card - so nidivia 800 series. try for 840m .

now if budget it tight then can you consider a PC
    @ceejay402 I couldn't agree more.

Although with the minimum requirement of windows XP, I'm not that worried for the rest of the requirements of the EPs.
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    • i5 processor
    • Intel HD 4000
    • 8GB RAM
    • 1TB hard disk

because that i5 is just essentially an i3 http://ark.intel.com/products/72164/Intel-Core-i5-3230M-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_20-GHz-rPGA

if helpful the i5 listed is third generation the current is fourth. know the fourth is a serious advancement with heat control, so laptop processors can run higher ghz ar lesser heat. because of this i never recommend the 3rd generation

other things i also try to see if one can find in their budget much better resolution and faster hard drive speed

and i always discourage integrated even a 810m or 820m will perform and last longer

ceejay402 wrote: »
    KscSimmer, first let me say if you are going to buy a laptop i highly suggest you buy one that can run smoothly for the whole series, which means you need to think of how future EPs and DLCs will tax a system so at the very least dont consider an i3 processor or integrated chip.

it really does matter

sadly laptops are not as equipped to handled demanding programs like games so you actually need to buy high specs to get the performance of an decent mid range gaming PC

now i caution even an i5 processor - again laptops because of the heat issue dont have the same power as a PC so all of its components performance less then its PC counter

now i understand many think 4 will not be taxing but the same was thought of 3 - it wasnt until EPs started to roll out that people began to have issues

so at the very least look for i5 but better i7 processor, and you really need a proper dedicated card - so nidivia 800 series. try for 840m .

now if budget it tight then can you consider a PC

I ran CAS on my i3 integrated at 60-90+fps on medium 1080p
    Sims 3 at medium 1080p at 60fps... Then again I am also running a haswell i3 with a 4400 graphics chip
    IRJsECv.png

I ran CAS on my i3 integrated at 60-90+fps on medium 1080p
    Sims 3 at medium 1080p at 60fps... Then again I am also running a haswell i3 with a 4400 graphics chip

But I guess you didn't buy your laptop recently? If I were @KscSimmer I would buy a laptop/desktop based on the current situation and looking to the future.
  • Alli-beagleAlli-beagle Posts: 111 Member
    To me any laptop should be o.k. as long as it meets the system requirement usually more expensive ones will work better