Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Apartment Queries - Issues

I'm having some issues with my sims if I have them live in apartments, so much so that I no longer play in Bridgeport because of it. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

1. If I move a sim into an apartment in Bridgeport (no altering locked portions of the apartment, just interior design etc), anyone whom my sim becomes friends with, is able to take the lift upstairs without being buzzed in and then simply walk into my apartment and make use of it. I have had people enter a sims apartment while the sim is asleep and at work. I can't make them stop.

2. When building an apartment, has anyone found a reliable fix for the constant stream of random roommates that are just added to your household for no reason? This is disappointing to my daughter as she enjoys building more than anything else in the Sims 3 and despite building apartments to the letter through tutorials, she ends up with this roommate issue.

Thanks for any help!
Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
Crowley Family Legacy Patriarch - Jonah Crowley

Comments

• KonrilKonril Posts: 153 Member
    edited August 2014
    It sounds like there is a little bit of confusion here.

The roommate option and an apartment lot type were introduced with University Life. This is a very different type of apartment than what appears in Late Night. A home marked as an apartment lot will work much like the dormitories do in University. It won't cost anything to move in to the apartment. But in exchange, the roommate option is forced full on and roommates will keep coming until the household maxes out at 8 sims. This is very different from Late Night's apartment towers that hold an unlimited amount of townies by allowing them to spawn and despawn at the elevator or their NPC doors as needed.

If you are zoning the residence as an apartment lot from edit town, you are activating the University apartment features, and that is what is causing the roommates to constantly move in. For a Late Night style apartment to function as it does in Bridgeport, it needs to be zoned as a regular residential lot instead of an apartment. (In fact, the apartment lot type is actually banned in Bridgeport itself.)

Does that make sense?
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited August 2014
    To stop the roommates from showing up, to disable this, it would be done on your sim's cell phone.
  • MiyuEmiMiyuEmi Posts: 2,404 Member
    Konril - I put this in Late Night because of the first issue as well, unfortunately there seems to be no answer for that one. I'm confused they actually programmed apartments to function like dorms with the introduction of University. It seems completely nonsensical. Either way, that's what my daughter has been doing, so I'll let her know that's the way it has to be done. LaBlue0314 - There is no option to disable roomates in this case, as Konril points out, apparently Apartment Lot doesn't actually mean Apartment Lot, it means Dormitory. Incredibly disappointing as I see no hope in them fixing this game with it's problems now that their focus is heavily on The Sims 4 which I will not purchase, not after the Sims 3 debacle.
    Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
  • KonrilKonril Posts: 153 Member
    To be honest, I was hoping fixing issue #2 would fix issue #1. Back when it was just World Adventures, Ambitions, and Late Night I have heard of paparazzi "guests" who would not leave, but what you are describing about friends just waltzing in like they own the place even when your household is working or sleeping is something that just didn't happen. In fact if they are in your owned space without an invite or if all of your household leaves the lot, they will get a forced "go home" command pretty quickly and leave that way. So at the very least I suspect the actual issue is one of the more recently released expansions is introducing some form of bug.

One of the things I do know about, roommates will answer the door and invite in any random guests automatically as soon as they ring the doorbell. The call box that comes with the Late Night style apartment features allows a guest to be buzzed in without actually interrupting what a sim is doing. The two together can make it appear that friends can come in uninvited and do as they please when in fact it is the roommate actually inviting them in without showing it.

So if that is actually what is causing the uninvited guests, fixing the roommate issue (#2) would fix the intruding friend issue (#1) as well. Otherwise, I'm stumped.
    Yeah, Konril I think this is just something that came in with another EP or patch, as the first time I played in Bridgeport (ages ago!) this didn't happen. It became so frustrating I actually stopped playing with that particular game and Bridgeport all together. A couple vampires spontaneously combusted outside and their ghosts just helped themselves to all of my amenities, took a bath, ate etc while my couple was at work/night out. I have the moon set to a single cycle because I don't like the Full Moon zombie garbage so I know it's not a full moon thing there. Then there were the random visitors who I never buzzed in who just took the lift, walked in and began to entertain themselves. Very frustrating.
    Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
  • Lexers615Lexers615 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Take an ADULT, then click any phone or his/her cellphone, then: "Real Estate and Travel Service", "Roommates Service...", "Disable Roommates Service". You then NEED the Sim to finish the call completely.

Notes:
    -You must click too "Dismiss Roommate" on each and every roommates that spawned, which sometimes mean waiting for the roommate to travel back to your lot. "Dismiss Roommate" can be performed remotely, by a teen and up, and is instant;
    -Above steps wont stop whatever triggered the "Roommates Service". In my case, it was the Generations expansion teen random event/opportunity "Free vacation".
    My Studio
    My Traits: Socially Awkward / Artistic / Family Oriented / Hopelessly Romantic / Absent Minded
    Academic Trait: Adventurous
    Social Group Trait (Should I ever become "Nerd" enough): Computer Whiz
    ______
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” Will Wright
    "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong." Cpt. Edward A. Murphy Jr, USAF
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Lexers615 wrote: »
    Above steps wont stop whatever triggered the "Roommates Service". In my case, it was the Generations expansion teen random event/opportunity "Free vacation".

The "free vacation"? Every time that comes up on this forum it's bad news. That's got to be one of the glitchiest things in the game. Someone ought to make a mod to eliminate that opportunity.
    As an update on this, turning roommates off doesn't work on a lot wrongly coded to be an 'Apartment' as this should translate accurately to 'Dorm'. The apartment option came with University and there is no way to make an apartment lot a regular lot, you have to bulldoze and place the base lot again to fix this as far as I'm aware.

Basically, this was a building error that my daughter encountered and we now know how to fix it.

What I've never been able to fix however is the changes to Bridgeport since the installation of University. Although not roommates, sims make themselves at home in my apartment without being invited or buzzed in and anyone, even if my sim didn't know them, who dies outside my apartment building becomes a house ghost. And when I say outside the apartment, I mean on the street, not in the building.
    Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
  • Lexers615Lexers615 Posts: 1,214 Member
    > @TreyNutz said:
    > That's got to be one of the glitchiest things in the game.

Well, **cough**cough** mermaids **cough**cough**, or, worst, **cough**cough** baby/toddler mermaids that come with their very own no-aging bugs **cough**cough**.

Another one that is very very annoying: Movies. Like, you create a household and start a new map, and every single NPC families are celebrities you cant interact with, and you have to start a new map.

Many many similar features originate from interesting ideas, but were never ever properly debugged...
    My Studio
    My Traits: Socially Awkward / Artistic / Family Oriented / Hopelessly Romantic / Absent Minded
    Academic Trait: Adventurous
    Social Group Trait (Should I ever become "Nerd" enough): Computer Whiz
    ______
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” Will Wright
    "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong." Cpt. Edward A. Murphy Jr, USAF
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg