Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ok, its official, the "Guru's" have gone NUTS.....

Comments

• deltagirl1326deltagirl1326 Posts: 468 Member
    edited August 2014
    Schantal wrote:
    Hey lovelies, sorry I lost my c*ap at NomPlay, but she/he/IT was totally rude for no reason. Those of you who know me on these forums (I rarely post anymore) know I am one of the calmest people on here usually, but being called a liar by she/he/IT and also her/him/IT accusing me of using a term of endearment to be condescending just p*🐸🐸🐸🐸 me off.

I always use terms of endearment, especially to those who have never been mean to me. Its just how I am and use those terms in real life.

Anywho, sorry for getting crabby (at that one specific person who was rude to me out of nowhere :wink: ) and thank you guys for giving your opinions on here, no matter what they are :-)

It's ok, sweetie! :D Most of us don't walk around with chips on our shoulders just looking for someone to knock them of so we can scream, "I am woman, hear me roar!" :lol:
  • SchantalSchantal Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited August 2014
    HE WAS TALKING ABOUT TS-3 you brilliant OP. you who purchased every EP, who upgraded from TS2 to TS3, who has a avatar from TS3.

THAT is the game they put "FICTION IN" not TS4

you simply want to hate this game, you twist every aspect of what everyone says to say what you want them to. honestly I think you should go into politics.

Ummm, I know? I never said he was talking about the sims 4....what in the h*ll are you talking about? Lol
    edited August 2014
    Schantal wrote:
    Someone not skilled at PR thats who .

Very true lol :mrgreen:

No, no, no. This is Graham. You should have said

It's Very true "heh heh" :P
  • Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    edited August 2014
    HE WAS TALKING ABOUT TS-3 you brilliant OP. you who purchased every EP, who upgraded from TS2 to TS3, who has a avatar from TS3.

you simply want to hate this game, you twist every aspect of what everyone says to say what you want them to. honestly I think you should go into politics.

I don't care if they tricked us into thinking they programmed emotions into a video game. If they did, then I have a toy robot that I want to download emotions into.

emotions in an AI are impossible. and lets take the fact that they are saying sims have emotions. If you want to call them liars, then the truth is that "NO ONE" can program actual emotions into an AI.

they tried to program emotions into the android on star trek (Lt. Data) and it didn't go so good.

My point is... lets stop twisting every piece of information to your liking (or hating).

You want to change our minds into not buying it, fine, but the game will ship with us or without us. The thing you should be doing is trying to convince the devs to twist the game to your liking.

(convincing the masses not to buy a game will not stop the game)
    (convincing the masses to hate a company will not bankrupt them)

the true measure of a "convincer", is being able to get them to add things to a game. Not to get others to follow your hate.

How do you know they're not selling you another fiction with TS4? because they say so? I mean if they are admitting they did it before why wouldn't they do it again ?
    edited August 2014
    deltagirl1326 wrote:
    It's ok, sweetie! :D Most of us don't walk around with chips on our shoulders just looking for someone to knock them of so we can scream, "I am woman, hear me roar!" :lol:

Aww, thanks :-). Yea, it was just so out of left field, but oh well, you are going to get people that freak out no matter what you say, like the guy that posted above you that basically called me stupid because he THOUGHT I was talking about Graham making that lying statement about Sims 4 when if he read my post I clearly say its about sims 3 and even post a link to the full response from Graham.

Some people don't even read what I write before commenting lol.

Thanks again for defending me lovely :-).
  • bflurybflury Posts: 2,603 Member
    edited August 2014

I don't care if they tricked us into thinking they programmed emotions into a video game. If they did, then I have a toy robot that I want to download emotions into.

emotions in an AI are impossible. and lets take the fact that they are saying sims have emotions. If you want to call them liars, then the truth is that "NO ONE" can program actual emotions into an AI.

they tried to program emotions into the android on star trek (Lt. Data) and it didn't go so good.

My point is... lets stop twisting every piece of information to your liking (or hating).

You want to change our minds into not buying it, fine, but the game will ship with us or without us. The thing you should be doing is trying to convince the devs to twist the game to your liking.

the true measure of a "convincer", is being able to get them to add things to a game. Not to get others to follow your hate.

How do you know they're not selling you another fiction with TS4? because they say so? I mean if they are admitting they did it before why wouldn't they do it again ?
    I like the analogy I heard earlier: Once a cheater, always a cheater :)
    "In Short, The Sims 4's biggest problem is that The Sims 3 exists." - Kevin VanOrd, Gamespot. Scored 6.0 of 10.
  • Faith12368Faith12368 Posts: 2,997 Member
    edited August 2014

Agree!! Very nice and perfectly executed, but I am sure your point will be lost...
    Long live the new Doctor!
  • plastraaplastraa Posts: 2 New Member
    edited August 2014
    I am one of those people who will be waiting to see what the response is and then try to find the game at a massive discount down the road.

I do have to say that I do feel for the gurus as they have to get all the flack for each new cluster that's announced. I have a feeling we will hear about monthly 'premium' memberships while the forums are 'closed for upgrade' this week. So we can all work out our heads popping off without the forums to whip us all up into a fine froth. (conjecture)

In any case, it wasn't very good PR to say..."Yeah you guys bought our load of bull about your sims having emotions in the past iterations of the game, but THIS time yo, they really do have emotions. I promise." :-\
    edited August 2014

Haha, true :-)...er wait...not true...dang it Delta you are confusing mehhhh!! Hahaha :lol:
  • AlnairanAlnairan Posts: 2,424 Member
    edited August 2014
    I don't think that's what he was trying to say.

But hey, it wouldn't be the first time a Guru caused a fuss because he didn't know how to express himself.
    6724061.png
    Origin ID: Gabby-Abeille
  • InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    edited August 2014

I am going to say if they did it once, they'll do it again. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice and that makes me the fool.
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Halle_MHalle_M Posts: 6,539 Member
    edited August 2014
    maybe we did a convincing job selling that fiction in previous games, but truly your Sims haven’t had anything like this before."

And what is the "convincing fiction" this time around, hmmm, Graham...? Will you tell us what it was when Sims 5 rolls around...?
    edited August 2014
    Schantal wrote:

Haha, true :-)...er wait...not true...dang it Delta you are confusing mehhhh!! Hahaha :lol:

It's ok Schantal. Ryan's here to let you know you're "awesome...awesome."
  • velocitygrassvelocitygrass Posts: 103 Member
    edited August 2014
    Since I don't think the OP of this thread is interested in actual discussion of what Graham meant, I'll just link to an interesting article that also touches on the fiction of emotion we create in our head.

It's by Tynan Sylvester (creator of Rimworld): http://tynansylvester.com/2013/06/the-simulation-dream/
  • bflurybflury Posts: 2,603 Member
    edited August 2014
    Am I the only one that kind of hopes this thread is on the front page when they lock the forums tomorrow. I mean I know it will get deleted tonight, but dang it would be funny ;)
    "In Short, The Sims 4's biggest problem is that The Sims 3 exists." - Kevin VanOrd, Gamespot. Scored 6.0 of 10.
    edited August 2014
    Since I don't think the OP of this thread is interested in actual discussion of what Graham meant, I'll just link to an interesting article that also touches on the fiction of emotion we create in our head.

It's by Tynan Sylvester (creator of Rimworld): http://tynansylvester.com/2013/06/the-simulation-dream/

So you think the exact words "we did a convincing job selling that fiction" refers to a conference talk given in 2013?
    edited August 2014
    bflury wrote:
    Am I the only one that kind of hopes this thread is on the front page when they lock the forums tomorrow. I mean I know it will get deleted tonight, but dang it would be funny ;)

Ok you just made my Sonic coke clear my sinuses! I'm hoping they'll be tons of these frozen here all weekend!
  • AlnairanAlnairan Posts: 2,424 Member
    edited August 2014

Well, not yet anyway :P
    Quoting Wheatley (OMG why would anyone quote Wheatley):
    "Shouldn't laugh. They do feel pain. Of a sort. All simulated. But real enough for them I suppose."
    (he was talking about the turrets)

All kidding aside, I also don't think that's what Graham meant either. I think that what he was saying is that they did a pretty good job making it look like needs + moodlets = emotions in TS3, which is not really a lie, but more like a simplistic take on what emotions truly are. I believe the real difference between what we call emotions in TS3 and on TS4 is the depth, and nothing else.
    6724061.png
    Origin ID: Gabby-Abeille
  • joneswkjoneswk Posts: 270 Member
    edited August 2014
    In what Graham said, "selling that fiction" was worlds apart from saying "we lied to you." What he is referring to is the sims portraying emotions, i.e. laughing, crying, wringing their hands, running up to their parents and hugging them, et alia. And that is no different than what you get from T.V. and film, especially animation.

No, the sims in TS4 will not have real emotions. However, the mechanics driving the behavior of the sims in TS4 is going to be different from what's in the previous games (though it could just be that it's a different engine). Sadly, that doesn't entail that the sims in TS4 will act any better or differently or humanly than in the previous games, but c'est la vie; and yes, there is evidence that they certainly don't and can behave less like actual people than in previous games. That is where the "but truly your Sims haven’t had anything like this before" line comes in.
  • LovenVincentLovenVincent Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited August 2014
    Well i guess it could be malice if you made the CHOICE to see it that way. like nit pickers who find the worst in everything for the sake of confrontation and falsehood.

Unless your *trying* to find *valid* reasons to hate the game but you dont need those do you? just hate it and move on. or unless your using it to make *others* hate the game but if we cant make you like it,how can you make people NOT like it?

the sims have NEVER had emotions,ever. there is a difference between emotions and reactions. knowing this difference helps.
    0sig_YunaTidus_animated.gif

Origin: Damian_Nyx
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited August 2014
    Halle_M wrote:
    maybe we did a convincing job selling that fiction in previous games, but truly your Sims haven’t had anything like this before."

And what is the "convincing fiction" this time around, hmmm, Graham...? Will you tell us what it was when Sims 5 rolls around...?

This time the fiction is them being proud to show this as the product of 5 years development :lol:
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited August 2014
    It'll work out like anything else EA does. Emotions will overtake the gameplay, and on September 3rd there will be plenty of posts raving about how stupid the Sims act now. I suspect this game will have very little replay value.

And those who are now defending the game the loudest will be among the first to demand their money back. Just you wait.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • exotickittenexotickitten Posts: 4,113 Member
    edited August 2014
    I'm sorry. I don't care how advanced the game gets, they aren't really emotions, previously or in the near future. It's a simulation game, the very word tells you it's faked. So if anyone honestly thinks the sims have or ever will have REAL emotion, you're kidding yourselves.

I never, in my life, felt like the sims were real little people with real little brains and real little feelings. It's comedic relief to watch something that looks like a person programmed to have simulated reactions, because the game is making fun of us.

I know they say there are emotions, but they know and we should know, there aren't. It's truthfully like a really advanced math problem attached to nice little models. Stop acting all hurt because you play a simulation game, and they "lie" to you.. You know there were never actual people in your computer monitor, and if you did think there were, sorry to tell you different. If you get caught up in the advertising, there's no one to blame but yourselves.

watching-tv-290x300.jpg

P.S. I'm still buying the game. I like the comedy. :wink:
    & http://exotickittens.blogspot.com & https://twitter.com/simkitten
    -my nickname was taken on twitter :(
    dac6aa93-85be-457a-a356-02f0a5dd016f_zps42daf419.png
  • LordZefLordZef Posts: 50 Member
    edited August 2014
    I really dislike Graham. There's something with him, that makes me hate him.
  • LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    edited August 2014
    Sadly, this is not news for many of us.
    It's what many companies have been doing for decades: lying.
    Whatever gets the products sold.
    (Though depending on what it is, that lying can get a company sued in court.)
    In this case, being just a game, not much we can do, but play the : "buy, or not to buy". :lol:

And I still want pools.
    No one ever said we were guaranteed to get them.
    And seeing how the terrains are limited, I'd be really surprised to ever see them again.
    My sims need pools.
    But that's how I play. :XD:
    (I am a Crab - Zodiac. We love our water!)

And I love your username! I had a GI Joe nametags w/ CoffeeFreak. :mrgreen: