Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Concerned about digital downloads and internet access

I've got a big concern about playing games via Origin. I didn't have this problem when I played a Sims 3 EP that was a digital download, nor has it been a problem with Sims 2 UC, but today I've been trialing the Simcity remake demo and it's crashed several times when my internet has had a temporary blip. My connection has been dodgy lately so it's a concern. Can anyone tell me if this is because it's a demo? Or is it a Simcity specific issue? I'm hoping it's not a general Origin issue that forces us to be online to play.

I don't want to deal with crashes due to internet blips on Sims 4 if I keep my (non-digital) preorder. Additionally, I have spent a LOT of money on a Dragon Age: Inquisition digital download so I am extremely worried about that constantly crashing when the time comes, if my internet doesn't settle down.
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.

Comments

• deltagirl1326deltagirl1326 Posts: 468 Member
    edited August 2014
    Say hello to STEAM. Come on over. All are welcome, all are welcome. Just head into the light, dear.
  • priscapuppriscapup Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited August 2014
    I'm confused. Is there something different with these new digital downloads? Will they work differently than the past ones? I am curious, because I use nothing but dd, all of mine are, and my pre-order of Sims 4 is dd. Why should it work any differently than my Sims 3 dd's do?
  • jessathemessajessathemessa Posts: 2,342 Member
    edited August 2014
    Sorry to kind of highjack your thread but related question someone here might know -- does Sims 4 have to be launched from Origin even if you are using a physical copy?
    edited August 2014
    I think she's worried because the Origin system is really, really bad as a whole. It's just another sub-par EA product. That's why most of use refuse to purchase any EA products digitally no matter what promo they throw at us. It's also why I recommend gaming on STEAM. I was an absolute, die hard, NEVER will I go digital person until I discovered STEAM. I never hear complaints, it's wonderful and I'm a digital game downloading monster over there. It's sad that I may have to say goodbye to my beloved Sims, but there is such a HUGE independent developer community over there that I'm sure someone will come up with a replacement soon.
  • priscapuppriscapup Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited August 2014
    I don't launch any of my games from Origin, I simply install them into my computer. Once they are installed, I forevermore launch and play from there. Not sure about discs, as all mine are dd. I've never had a problem with Origin. I have had problems with slow downloads when internet access is slow, like right now while I am in Wyoming and only have internet via wifi on aircard. But back in Dallas with fiber optics, never any problems.
  • IcarusIcarus Posts: 916 Member
    edited August 2014
    Sorry to kind of highjack your thread but related question someone here might know -- does Sims 4 have to be launched from Origin even if you are using a physical copy?

Yes, you will have to launch The Sims 4 from Origin with a physical copy and you will have to authenticate your game through Origin upon installation.

I don't expect that The Sims 4 will have problems if your internet fails while you're playing, since it doesn't have to be played online after the initial authentication. I'm not overly familiar with Origin, though, as I much prefer Steam, so I may be wrong.
  • SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    edited August 2014

This is a huge caveat. IF. That's big IF. If it works the way TS3 did and you install a physical copy from disk you do not need to launch from Origin. If you install from a digital download from Origin I believe you do have to launch the game through Origin.

There may be a way to bypass the Origin launch but I have no firsthand experience. In the past the trick was to find the game executable file for the game and launch directly from the executable.
    Origin ID: Barbara917
    edited August 2014
    Icarus wrote:

Yes, you will have to launch The Sims 4 from Origin with a physical copy and you will have to authenticate your game through Origin upon installation.

Interesting Icarus. That's different than my TS3 experience. How do you know this?
  • jessathemessajessathemessa Posts: 2,342 Member
    edited August 2014
    Sincerbox wrote:

This is a huge caveat. IF. That's big IF. If it works the way TS3 did and you install a physical copy from disk you do not need to launch from Origin. If you install from a digital download from Origin I believe you do have to launch the game through Origin.

There may be a way to bypass the Origin launch but I have no firsthand experience. In the past the trick was to find the game executable file for the game and launch directly from the executable.

That's what I was thinking. I don't like DD because I don't like the idea of my game being tied to another program. Just my own feelings.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2014

Yes, at least the first time.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    edited August 2014
    Say hello to STEAM. Come on over. All are welcome, all are welcome. Just head into the light, dear.

Haha. I do use Steam and find it fairly reliable most of the time, but it really depends what games are available. It does have some EA games for download but I believe they only came out when those games were fairly "old." I actually have a bunch of Steam games I need to play but the games I wanted most this year were both EA games.
    priscapup wrote:
    I'm confused. Is there something different with these new digital downloads? Will they work differently than the past ones?

That's what I'm wondering. The Simcity demo has crashed a bunch of times and every time it's been because my internet has dropped out briefly. My time in the demo is limited (only got 30 mins left to play) and I don't like it enough to buy the full game, but I am very worried it might happen with the 2 new EA games I've pre-ordered, one of which is a digital download.
    I think she's worried because the Origin system is really, really bad as a whole. It's just another sub-par EA product. That's why most of use refuse to purchase any EA products digitally no matter what promo they throw at us.

I refused to get the Origin download of Sims 4 partly due to my preference for physical copies (also the price) but unfortunately I really wanted the extra DLC for Dragon Age: Inquisition and they haven't produced a physical version of that for PC so I had to either miss out or go digital. Also, to be honest, I want that way more than Sims 4 right now anyway. But the lack of a physical deluxe edition is a cheeky way of them to force people to use Origin. :(
  • IcarusIcarus Posts: 916 Member
    edited August 2014
    Sincerbox wrote:
    Icarus wrote:

Interesting Icarus. That's different than my TS3 experience. How do you know this?

It's in the TS4 FAQ.

http://www.thesims.com/faq#does-the-sims-4-require-an-origin-client-to-play
    edited August 2014
    I think they're trying to force us all that way with the Sims as well. They gave us the Sims 2 as a consolation but I think it was a HUGE mistake on their part. People are going back, playing it and remembering what a GOOD, fully fledged out game is supposed to be! And are coming forward in droves to say "NO" to the iPad mess that is the Sims 4.
  • MommylandMommyland Posts: 1,230 Member
    edited August 2014
    SimCity is basically online there is a way to play offline not sure if you can in the demo or not. So if you are having connection drop outs it will disconnect you. Sims4 is not suppose to be online so it shouldn't cut out there for shouldn't have drop outs.
    edited August 2014
    I think they're trying to force us all that way with the Sims as well. They gave us the Sims 2 as a consolation but I think it was a HUGE mistake on their part. People are going back, playing it and remembering what a GOOD, fully fledged out game is supposed to be! And are coming forward in droves to say "NO" to the iPad mess that is the Sims 4.

Fair point. I've been playing Sims 2 as well. I've found the UC is the ideal way to play Sims 2 as I had to install only once instead of all the separate EPs. The load screens are a little quicker than I remember, but then I hadn't played it in a few years and I had an older computer the last time I played it on a regular basis. It also doesn't crash very often, which is great. So for Sims 2 UC, Origin works very well. I also know that I can run it outside of Origin itself because I tried that a few times and it's fine.

But I still think EA should not push us in the direction of online play and digital downloads as the only way to play/get the extra content for their games. Yes, they have their place, but physical copies and offline play have their benefits too. And not everyone lives in an area where the internet access is perfect 24/7. I live in a relatively built up UK suburb, and while it's not a big city, we get heavy tourism in the summer due to the close proximity of the coast, so you'd think good internet connectivity would be a priority, yet I find my connection can be troublesome from time to time.
    edited August 2014
    Mommyland wrote:
    SimCity is basically online there is a way to play offline not sure if you can in the demo or not. So if you are having connection drop outs it will disconnect you. Sims4 is not suppose to be online so it shouldn't cut out there for shouldn't have drop outs.

Alright, thanks. It's not a huge deal since I don't intend to buy the full game but I thought the question was worth asking in case it was relevant to other games and other players. :)
  • exotickittenexotickitten Posts: 4,113 Member
    edited August 2014
    priscapup wrote:
    I don't launch any of my games from Origin, I simply install them into my computer. Once they are installed, I forevermore launch and play from there. Not sure about discs, as all mine are dd. I've never had a problem with Origin. I have had problems with slow downloads when internet access is slow, like right now while I am in Wyoming and only have internet via wifi on aircard. But back in Dallas with fiber optics, never any problems.

Me either. I play games from the start menu or nvidia geforce experience. I have found that TS4 CAS opens origin automatically (because of the studio), but I'm pretty sure that the game won't cause this to happen. At least that's what EA is promising.
    & http://exotickittens.blogspot.com & https://twitter.com/simkitten
    -my nickname was taken on twitter :(
    dac6aa93-85be-457a-a356-02f0a5dd016f_zps42daf419.png
    edited August 2014
    Icarus wrote:
    Sincerbox wrote:

It's in the TS4 FAQ.

http://www.thesims.com/faq#does-the-sims-4-require-an-origin-client-to-play

Hey, thanks for the link. I didn't see that. You are referring to this?
    Does The Sims 4 require an Origin™ client to play?
    Yes. You will need an Origin™ account to install and register The Sims 4. Once installed, you don't need to be online to play.

Actually that answer is still a bit murky to me. There is no mention of differences between the digital download and physical copy. I wonder if the answer is not incomplete and only applies to digital download. It mentions registration. That sort of implies registration is required to play but again would be new from TS3. Registration has never been required before to play.

Here's my biggest question about the physical copy. Is it really a physical copy? Is the game executable on the disk? For TS3 the executables were on the disk. You can install them and play directly from either game launcher or executable as you choose.

But I have had other games on Steam that I bought a "disk copy" for. I thought I was getting a physical copy. What I was actually getting was a wizard to install Steam and then download the game from Steam. I have been wondering if that is what the "disk copies" will actually be for TS4 or if they will be genuine physical copies of the game. If EA is intending to follow the Steam model and people aren't actually getting genuine "physical copies" on their disks there is no reason to purchase a "disk copy" at all. If that is the case then the above answer makes sense and is complete.