Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Norton Registry Cleaner renders Sims 2 Ultimate unplayable (it's fixed now)

zorba2357zorba2357 Posts: 6,103 Member
So here's the story. My computer had an unrelated issue. I think due to a windows 7 update that was done yesterday. I don't remember or have record of allowing it though. I think I may have allowed it while "multitasking" and not properly reset the computer. It's a bit of a mystery. Anyhow the update is done, the computer seems fine after a reset.

I decided it was time for "maintenance" which included the Rarely done Norton registry cleaner. Now , while I love Norton, I know there's a reason I rarely run registry cleaner of any sort. But I did it, and guess what it rendered sims 2 Ultimate unplayable!

Yes yes, is it "evil" securom? Probably, maybe, don't know for sure. Anyhow Origin itself actually has an easy to use option to "fix" sims 2 Ultimate. It's done! I guess Origin and decurom are evil but it sure fixed it fast and easy.

Thank goodness I don't have Moar hours of - trying to fix it and figure it out and uninstall and reinstall etc. Not up to it tonight.

Got any comments, stories, tomatoes to throw at origin or securom :P I guess I don't care, I just want sims 2 ultimate. I want it more than I hate securom.

It's the only game Norton seems to have deleted.

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Bump
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Has anyone else experienced this? Guess I should've posted it in "Tech", but I figure if I did, it would just get moved here.
  • Options
    blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited August 2014
    I'm not a fan of Symantec's Norton AV Program but some people like it.

See if this is any help.
    http://help.ea.com/en/article/the-sims-3-launcher-will-not-open-or-load-after-update-patch/

I would assume it's doing the same for TS2 UC.

Good Luck! :wink:
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Hello blunote00, thank you for responding. I'm beginning to think "General" and this whole forum has gone to you know what.

Anyhow my Sims 2 Ultimate is working fine now. I just "repaired" THROUGH the origin site by going to my origin games and "my games" and clicking on the Sims 2 Ultimate icon. It "repaired" my sims 2 and was fast and easy.

I guess I was Curious if it's actually securom that it "repairs" and cannot or will not play without?

Unfortunately I did close out the Norton page, and now can't seem to find the record, nor do I care to really dig around for it. It was registry keys though, sims 2.

I haven't even tried to play sims 3 for eaons. I don't think that affected sims 3 though. Anyhow thanks again! {big hugs}
  • Options
    blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited August 2014
    zorba2357 wrote:
    Hello blunote00, thank you for responding. I'm beginning to think "General" and this whole forum has gone to you know what.

Anyhow my Sims 2 Ultimate is working fine now. I just "repaired" THROUGH the origin site by going to my origin games and "my games" and clicking on the Sims 2 Ultimate icon. It "repaired" my sims 2 and was fast and easy.

I guess I was Curious if it's actually securom that it "repairs" and cannot or will not play without?

Unfortunately I did close out the Norton page, and now can't seem to find the record, nor do I care to really dig around for it. It was registry keys though, sims 2.

I haven't even tried to play sims 3 for eaons. I don't think that affected sims 3 though. Anyhow thanks again! {big hugs}
    I know what you mean about the forums. Glad it's working for you. I have TS2 (CD/DVD versions) already installed so I'm not interested in converting to TS2UC. All the games did show in the old EADM before they switched everything to Origin but it's not a big deal to me. I love my physical copies. :P

Have fun playing TS2. :mrgreen:
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • Options
    MinDtriKzMinDtriKz Posts: 5,441 Member
    edited August 2014
    zorba2357 wrote:
    I'm beginning to think "General" and this whole forum has gone to you know what.

*shrugs* you reap what you sow. Your first post was so pointed at just venting:
    zorba2357 wrote:
    Got any comments, stories, tomatoes to throw at origin or securom I guess I don't care, I just want sims 2 ultimate. I want it more than I hate securom.

Threads that have fun pictures, creations, and in-game situations tend to yield more responses and positive feedback from the community. After all, turns out your issue had nothing to do with secuROM, and there are just piles of TS2 fans here that are enjoying the game.

I don't get the point of this entire thread, so I by-passed it. But, glad to see you got the game running and repaired. I don't use Norton products, but here's hoping it doesn't continue to give you grief!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    MinDtriKz wrote:
    zorba2357 wrote:
    I'm beginning to think "General" and this whole forum has gone to you know what.

*shrugs* you reap what you sow. Your first post was so pointed at just venting:
    zorba2357 wrote:
    Got any comments, stories, tomatoes to throw at origin or securom I guess I don't care, I just want sims 2 ultimate. I want it more than I hate securom.

Threads that have fun pictures, creations, and in-game situations tend to yield more responses and positive feedback from the community. After all, turns out your issue had nothing to do with secuROM, and there are just piles of TS2 fans here that are enjoying the game.

I don't get the point of this entire thread, so I by-passed it. But, glad to see you got the game running and repaired. I don't use Norton products, but here's hoping it doesn't continue to give you grief!

Actually, I don't know the exact reason Norton decided sims 2 was a "registry error", and I still quite suspect Securom WAS what it removed. If that wasn't it then what was it?

And people respond more to positive threads, um, been to sims 4 forum lately?

• Options
    edited August 2014
    @blunote00 , I had the DVD version installed also (minus 2 or 3 stuff packs) but - I just HAD to have the new and shiny! :wink: So I uninstalled the old one and installed the digital version.

Maybe That's silly of me. But I'll tell you what, one hour of digital install - vs- 2 days of fiddling with Discs! The digital install "Wins" !
  • Options
    KasanthKasanth Posts: 166 Member
    edited August 2014
    Only problem I have ever had with Norton and the Sims 3 is the time
    Norton decided that the Sims 3 launcher might be a virus and quarantined it so I couldn't play.
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited August 2014
    Hi :D

From what I saw- it's because it's the Ultimate Collection which is only using the one registry in your computer. If you clean your registry it will clean up those dangling expansions/stuffs without a registry number... I did it, I read others use an automatic clean and it happened to them.

It's not the evil SecuROM but remember- don't clean up those Sims 2 dangling registries. :D

Oh... Pictures!

8192fbd3-8825-4876-8a3a-af1e9120f0c6_zps95d82cf2.jpg"width=600"

snapshot_a0de9fa0_80ec718a_zpsd4b60474.jpg"width=600"
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Rflong7 hi! Thanks! I had not heard of "dangling expansions/stuffs without a registry number. But I guess that explains it!

Nice pics! Where exactly is the frog from? I know my sims 2 burglar is 🐸🐸🐸🐸 as all heck!
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited August 2014
    The frog is from the Wishing Well. I think that it's with Lucky Palms... :mrgreen: