Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For those that play on Epic lifespan?

I've always been curious about this, for those that play on epic lifespan why do you? Why do you like to play your sims with such a long lifespan?

I've always played with 90 sim days and found it to me just enough time to get the sims established in their careers and fulfill their LTWs. I've also tried to play with short lifespan and medium lifespan and have found both to be very short and not very much time to do anything. I've also tried to play with Epic lifespan and I couldn't do it for a very long time. :)
Nobody does it better, Steve Jobs you simply are the best RIP 10-5-11

Comments

• plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    edited July 2014
    It takes longer for them to die.
  • MommylandMommyland Posts: 1,230 Member
    edited July 2014
    I do kinda, I like to have each age group experience each season. ok aside babies and toddlers, I keep babies 2 days and toddlers 3 days just long enough to learn to walk, talk and go potty.

With child and teens they are 28 days so they get each holiday. Young adults its as high as it can they usually get two of each depending on birthday. and adults is as high as it will go so they can work on their career.

I also focus on family during young adults then career as adults.
  • becomingjennbecomingjenn Posts: 3,942 Member
    edited July 2014
    I think it depends on your style of play. For me, I get attached to my simmies and don't want them to die. BTW, even though I play on Epic lifespans, I do tend to tweak the ages a bit with 2 days or less for babies...and longest time frame for YA's. Back to the point, I guess it's just what you like out of the games. Some people like new sims all the time...others like to take out pool ladders, other like really only to design either houses or sims only. There's a lot of versatility on play styles.
  • Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,422 Member
    edited July 2014
    I play epic lifespan. Longest setting for YA/Adults. I find it much more enjoyable. If I keep it short I don't have enough time to do all the things that I like. Beyond doing those things you do I take my sims on multiple vacations and adventures, pursue multiple hobbies, enjoy many relationships. If I have a sim I enjoy playing tnen I want to do all the possible things with that sim that I can.
  • AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    edited July 2014
    I've always been curious about this, for those that play on epic lifespan why do you? Why do you like to play your sims with such a long lifespan?

I've always played with 90 sim days and found it to me just enough time to get the sims established in their careers and fulfill their LTWs. I've also tried to play with short lifespan and medium lifespan and have found both to be very short and not very much time to do anything. I've also tried to play with Epic lifespan and I couldn't do it for a very long time. :)

For me its because I like to play community style, and because I get too attached to them to see them age up. (babies, toddlers, and children can age up, but not teens, YAs, and adults). I want so badly to play legacy style because it looks like fun, but after nearly a decade of never having one generation die I realize I have this problem. I've gotten to the point that I turn aging off and only start it again when I'm ready (which doesn't happen too often).
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited July 2014
    With the ones I play on Epic is because of all the work I put into them. Working on their skills and such. Any shorter than that just feels like a waste of time other wise.
  • nateslicenateslice Posts: 1,440 Member
    edited July 2014
    I started out playing on Epic. I like to have enough time for my sims to suffer through a failed relationship or two before settling down with The One.

The problem with Epic is, I don't like having babies take almost 30 days to age up to Toddler, and then however long it is after that to age up to Child. I aged the little crumb-crunchers up to Child ASAP so as to avoid having to hire a babysitter just to go to work.

But I also don't like aging kids up too quickly, because then you can end up with a Young Adult whose parents are also Young Adults. That just doesn't make sense to me.

I tried playing one family on Normal lifespan, and that wasn't too bad. I didn't feel hurried to age up the kids. But I also started with a happily married couple, which made things a little easier, but also made that game a little less fun for me. I sort of enjoy the melodrama of failed relationships.

I'm currently trying out Long lifespan. I'm hoping that provides a good compromise between wanting my sims to fail their way across the dating scene for a while and not wanting their kids to be neonates for a frickin' month for it.
  • lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,017 Member
    edited July 2014
    I play on epic for several reasons.

I get attached to my sims. I don't like to see them die.

It takes them forever to do anything. Sometimes they take an hour just to go from one side of the house to another. I have to give them more days to accomplice what I want them to do.

I don't like to feel rushed. I prefer a leisurely time schedule.

I like my sims to have a variety of activities. It keeps the game interesting for me. I often have them self-employed so they can easily take off for traveling, season fun, hobbies, family outings, parties--in addition to work. There really is a lot of things for them to experience.

Or if they have scheduled jobs, I make them work hard/socialize/do opportunities--and multitask by listening to skill tab casts--in order to maximize advancement. Then they can retire sooner! If their lives were short, they'd die before they ever got a chance to really live. :(

I've gotten where I do cut the baby/toddler stages in about half. They're just too time consuming to take care of, and they have so little choices of things to do. I usually have a family plumbot to help take care of the little ones. I use to give the most time to the young adult stage, but I don't do that now. I'm ok with the adult and even elder stage. After that, they can be "ancestral" ghosts. :D
  • CatrillaCatrilla Posts: 1,708 Member
    edited July 2014
    I, too, have bounced around on lifespans. I found that epic works if I am going for a very lengthy achievement (such as that Andre Norton house requiring oodles of books) but otherwise i get bored with the sim and start itching for something different.
  • DijanaMenatasDijanaMenatas Posts: 624 Member
    edited July 2014
    I get attached to my sims, I prefer to just play them until I'm bored rather than trying to get stuff done in age groups, I also don't like legacies.

I tend to set everything to max except babies and toddlers, which I set around 30 days but thats more just until, again, I get bored, and I move it down when I want them to age up soon.
  • MiniKitti7MiniKitti7 Posts: 21 New Member
    edited July 2014
    I some times change the lifespan for a challenge, its makes it easier as I have more time :)
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    edited July 2014
    I play on epic and extend some stages like child,young adult and adult while babies get their 60 days because I don't play just one family.I let toddlers have 120 days and give teens 180 days.I can vary these a bit for the kid who ages up early or late.I'm also working on changing pregnancies to 720 hours for my default length in my games with NRaas Retuner and using Retuner to disable the UL protests.I'm disabling those protests so my sims won't keep misbehaving and getting fired from jobs.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • simlish1simlish1 Posts: 2,738 Member
    edited July 2014
    My niece plays epic life span and I asked her and she said it's because she doesn't want her sims to die.
    I couldn't play it like that. I play 90 days but I tweak YA and make it to 26 days.
    Origin ID - eliselove1
    Four Seasons Properties

• JulietsanchezJulietsanchez Posts: 1 New Member
    I play my sims 3 on epic all the way on all life stages I have a single mom with a toddler who has lived 100 days with 50 left it’s more of a challenge for myself makes me think there life is more worth living long
    I’ve been playing since I was about 7 and now I’m 18 so living long lives is a little worth it
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    edited March 2018
    I get seriously attached to my sims (and I'm a guy (I'll have to surrender my man-card to the relevant authorities))

And it gives my sims a lot of time to do things. The Sim Founders (River (nee McIrish) Chikamori) and Haruo Chikamori) are the two sims that I'm attached to the most and thus I enjoy doing a ton of activities with them including sending them to university as older students (who are already with family and children - thanks to an extended household of grandma and grandpa taking care of the kids while Mommy and Daddy are off at university.

Screenshot-65.jpg

...and to the poster who resurrected this thread. Please don't resurrect old threads...it's almost four years old. Understandably, you're new and unable to make new posts...but there are plenty of relatively new threads to post on. Ask a Question/Answer a Question is a good one to comment on.

@EA_Lanna.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    As others mentioned above, I also get attached to my sims, and don't want them to die.
    I want to experience every lifestage to the maximum with them. I am more into depth stories than just getting them achieve goals (I like to enjoy the way). I do have some quick saves but they usually don't last long because it does not keep my interest.
    Also in my big ongoing saves, I play rotational - every time with different household, so sometimes it is more focused on career, sometimes it more focused on family, sometimes it's more about romatic interests - every household has it's own story and that's what's keeping me interested for along time until I decide to age up a group of sims.