Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Goth international

I just thought it could be a fun change in all the gloominess to share the name of the family Goth around the world. Seeing that they don't have the same name everywhere. Of course other famous sims included.

Family Goth in Swedish: Familjen Spökh (basically, family ghost...)
The Landgrabers in Swedish: Markövertag (about the same in English)

I'm not really familiar with the sims lore but I'm sure there are more Swedes on the forum that can fill me in.

So what are their names in your country?
Alcande, an original story in a fantasy setting. Read for free.

Comments

• okesterokester Posts: 4,136 Member
    edited July 2014
    The Sims Wiki has tons of info on this, and not just the names in Swedish. It's quite interesting actually :)
    Origin ID: Okest3r_13 Check out my Sims 4 creations!
  • IkajoIkajo Posts: 335 Member
    edited July 2014
    okester wrote:
    The Sims Wiki has tons of info on this, and not just the names in Swedish. It's quite interesting actually :)

Well, I just wanted people to have a little fun. So I do hope people join me in this little game.
  • Addicted2FashionAddicted2Fashion Posts: 507 Member
    edited July 2014
    Dutch:
    Familie Kerkhof (kerkhof = graveyard)
    2dlpsog.png

• NicottiaNicottia Posts: 76 Member
    edited July 2014
    I'm originally Polish (not living in pLOLando anymore tho), but it always baffles me how Polish Goths are called: Rodzina Ćwir (which literally means Family Tweet). Like rly.
    7bXthz.png
    My little YouTube corner: Nicottia <= Clickerino!
  • AnthonoAnthono Posts: 904 New Member
    edited July 2014
    I'm English, so here Goth is a sub genre for socially awkward people who wear black and have a fear of happiness.
  • NicottiaNicottia Posts: 76 Member
    edited July 2014
    Anthono wrote:
    I'm English, so here Goth is a sub genre for socially awkward people who wear black and have a fear of happiness.

Wow, really? Would never have guessed! :P
    7bXthz.png
    My little YouTube corner: Nicottia <= Clickerino!
  • vicaddictvicaddict Posts: 340 Member
    edited July 2014
    In Germany their name is "Grusel" which means scary. Fitting, though I don't understand why they keep changing the names.
  • EveebellaEveebella Posts: 832 Member
    edited July 2014
    It is nice to see what the names are in new languages.

Eveebella
  • alejandro15039alejandro15039 Posts: 939 Member
    edited July 2014
    Spanish: Lapida, Bella is Elvira Lapida and Mortimer is Homero Lapida.
  • aktexaktex Posts: 367 Member
    edited July 2014
    The German Name of the Goths in Sims 1 was "von Spinnweb" (cobweb) and then changed in Sims 2 to "Grusel" (scary)

Edit: vicaddict was quicker than me!
    tcvoh84l0v7b6kg3g.jpg
  • SophieDiddleSophieDiddle Posts: 578 Member
    edited July 2014
    How interesting. I actually didn't know they changed the names for different languages. Maybe this is a stupid question but those of you whose country' names have alternate names for Bella and Mortimer do you prefer to call them Bella and Mortimer Goth, or, as an example Elvira and Homero Lapida?
    Just curious.
  • ValandisValandis Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited July 2014
    They're just 'Goth' in Norwegian. Pity. :(
    Landgraab is pretty much 'Landgrabb' Which is pretty much the same meaning in Norwegian.

Strangetown is 'Snålfoss', which translates back to "Weird waterfall", or "Strange waterfall". :lol:
  • IkajoIkajo Posts: 335 Member
    edited July 2014
    Valandis wrote:
    Landgraab is pretty much 'Landgrabb' Which is pretty much the same meaning in Norwegian.

Strangetown is 'Snålfoss', which translates back to "Weird waterfall", or "Strange waterfall". :lol:

Interesting. With Sweden and Norway being so close.

Strangetown in Swedish is Uddköping. Which is basically the same.
  • dipalidipali Posts: 52 Member
    edited July 2014
    :) In italian they are Daniela and Maurizio Alberghini (little hotel? strange... ) and their children are Martina and Alessandro Alberghini
  • MissHoney118MissHoney118 Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited July 2014
    Ikajo wrote:
    Valandis wrote:

Interesting. With Sweden and Norway being so close.

Strangetown in Swedish is Uddköping. Which is basically the same.
    It's actually Uddaholm. While Pleasantview is called Skönköping and Veronaville is called Veronavik (both names have basically the same meaning as the English versions).

Playing the game in Swedish really gets on my nerves, because of some weird translations. Goth is one of the worst in my opinion. The translator obviously took 'goth' for 'ghost' and chose the name Spökh ('spöke' means 'ghost' in Swedish).
    23u1xdu.gif
  • EuanSimEuanSim Posts: 2,345 Member
    edited July 2014
    In Russian Bella is called Белла Гот which is read Bella Got - the same as her usual name but in Cyrillic.
  • EuanSimEuanSim Posts: 2,345 Member
    edited July 2014
    EuanSim wrote:
    In Russian Bella is called Белла Гот which is read Bella Got - the same as her usual name but in Cyrillic.

In the original Sims, the family was Готика [Gotika] which means Gothic rather than Goth.
  • IcySlashIcySlash Posts: 1,070 Member
    edited July 2014
    The translations are not the best, indeed. In Brazilian Portuguese Bella and Mortimer's names are Laura and Vladmir respectively. Both common names in my Country. Their Surnames are Caixão which means 'Coffin'.
    Cassandra is the same, and Alexander is Alexandre.
  • Hallonsaft11Hallonsaft11 Posts: 1,377 Member
    edited July 2014
    And let´s not forget Mortimers aunt, Agnes Crumplebottom.
    Agnes Rynkbak in swedish (translated to ´Wrinkly back/behind/bum)

A good cup of coffee is always best served together with someone you like
  • AnthonoAnthono Posts: 904 New Member
    edited July 2014
    And let´s not forget Mortimers aunt, Agnes Crumplebottom.
    Wait, what?
  • mariecookiemariecookie Posts: 138
    edited July 2014
    In french they are the Gothik family.(Which is not even a French word. The spelling should be Gothique for it to be French lol)

Mortimer = Vladimir Gothik
    Bella = Sonia Gothik
    Cassandra = Sandra Gothik
    Alexander = Alexandre Gothik

I personally change it back to their original name.
  • spackichanspackichan Posts: 1,183 Member
    edited July 2014
    in japanese, goth (ゴス) translates to goss, which is literally the subculture of gothic people. not nearly as fun as some of the translations. :(
    (◡ ‿ ◡ ✿)