Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Please Im begging for some help!

First and Foremost I want to say good evening/afternoon/morning to all who post here.

I am quite stumped as to how to complete my current build, I would greatly appreciate some assistance in completing this task I have taken on. A little backstory... In my relationship, I am the gamer geek, and she is far from it, however, she has an amazing addiction to the game that is The Sims 3. This is one thing, in the digital world, that we have common ground on, and all other factors aside (which are far too personal to share in a public forum), I want to build her a home. This home however, is far too complex for me to complete with my current construction knowledge. So I am now hoping those of you in the Sims community with the knowledge and know-how can help me complete this home for my fiancee. At this point in construction Ive hit a terrible brick wall and Im praying someone knows a way over this wall or through it.
Orrrrrr another way to accomplish what I hope to inevitably get to. Hopefully we will be able to co-ordinate from there and I'll provide you a copy of what I'm working on so you can fix my mistakes. Thanks in advance!

-Eric

Comments

• CalisaneCalisane Posts: 61 Member
    edited July 2014
    Hi Eric,

I think it is lovely you want to build a sims house for your SO :)

If you post some pictures and explain what you are having issues with, someone may be able to help you.
    Origin ID Calisane
  • WenzelEJWenzelEJ Posts: 11
    edited July 2014
    Thanks for the reply, here are some screenshots as requested...

heres the gist...

Everything is currently in its roughest form and Ive got the layout essentially thrown together in my head but its been difficult to bring it to reality.

the higher elevation structure is supposed to be or will be a 2 car garage with a sloped driveway. The lower elevation structure is intended to be a den/lounge area of some sort, with the backyard and pool pressed against the ocean. I want to connect'second floor' for the lower level to the garage... not to mention I want to also build at the higher elevation and connect it to the lower. There are issues with that obviously because the game recognizes the first layer of structure regardless of elevation as the 'first floor'

Screenshot-190_zpseada6bbf.jpg

Unfortunately if i try to connect flooring or walls this occurs...
    Screenshot-193_zpsd8b3833a.jpg
    Screenshot-191_zps6aa4bb81.jpg

as you can see i tried to level the floors as closely as possible
    Screenshot-192_zps36efbe1b.jpg

• flstriderflstrider Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited July 2014
    WenzelEJ wrote:
    Thanks for the reply, here are some screenshots as requested...

heres the gist...

Everything is currently in its roughest form and Ive got the layout essentially thrown together in my head but its been difficult to bring it to reality.

the higher elevation structure is supposed to be or will be a 2 car garage with a sloped driveway. The lower elevation structure is intended to be a den/lounge area of some sort, with the backyard and pool pressed against the ocean. I want to connect'second floor' for the lower level to the garage... not to mention I want to also build at the higher elevation and connect it to the lower. There are issues with that obviously because the game recognizes the first layer of structure regardless of elevation as the 'first floor'

Screenshot-190_zpseada6bbf.jpg

Unfortunately if i try to connect flooring or walls this occurs...
    Screenshot-193_zpsd8b3833a.jpg
    Screenshot-191_zps6aa4bb81.jpg

as you can see i tried to level the floors as closely as possible
    Screenshot-192_zps36efbe1b.jpg

Hey Eric there is a thread you might want to check out. There are several tutorials in there that will definitely help you with what you are trying to do. Hope this helps

Welcome to ZooU
    My World's thread linked in Sig
    NewSig.jpg

edited July 2014
    Hey thanks for the reply FLSTRider, I'm digging through the tutorials this very moment.

Unfortunately I'm not seeing anything resembling what I'm attempting to do (granted I might be able to apply the techniques used to figure out a way). I was hoping to receive a yea or nay whether what I'm attempting to do is possible. I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around the process to attempt it I guess.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    edited July 2014
    I've done a lot of building using the CFE cheat. There isn't a way to connect the two levels outright on the floor, you will need a step down where the two levels meet. However, you can connect the walls. I've done this type of set up many times. Hopefully I can explain it well enough.
    Make sure you have constrainFloorElevation false on. First, connect your walls and ignore what the ground does. Then, build a second floor on the whole thing. Again, ignore whatever weird things it does where the two levels join. After you're done, then go back in and fix the floor, ignoring what the walls do.
    Third, put a foundation piece beside your higher level. Use the leveling tool to level that entire floor and across onto the lower level. Delete the foundation piece you used.
    Off to the side somewhere, use stairs to take the ground down 3 times. Inside the bottom spot, build two wall levels. Using the level tool drag from the top of this across your whole building.
    I'm trying to visualize this and explain it, so hopefully I didn't forget anything or say anything wrong.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
    edited July 2014
    lisamwitt you are a lifesaver my dear. Thank you so very much. I believe this is exactly what Ive been attempting to do! I'll let you know how it works out for me the further into the build I get! I know Im going to be doing a lot of relevelling throughout this build as I dont have rooms fleshed out or anything just yet. You've definitely given me a way forward though!
  • YellowJaneYellowJane Posts: 6,589 Member
    edited July 2014
    Well I'm not sur what I can suggest that liamswitt hasn't :mrgreen: I was gonna suggest steps to connect the floor. Good luck! I'll check back myself to see if I can help at all later :) sweet of you to build her a house!

EDIT to say: however I strongly suggest you edit your original post, and take out your email adress. If the Gurus see it, they might consider it spam and delete this thread 8) people usually put the address in their about me and then tell people on threads that they can find it in there. Just giving you a heads up with that :)
  • MiniKitti7MiniKitti7 Posts: 21 New Member
    edited July 2014
    I think you have used a platform instead of a actual floor, I believe all you need to do is switch it around. Correct me if I'm wrong :?
    edited July 2014
    I'm glad I could offer some help :) It looks like it's going to be a nice build once you are finished, I'll be interested to see how it looks!
    edited July 2014
    Thanks all! Ive also edited my OP as suggested. I'll be sure to share some shots of the finished product!
    edited August 2014
    Just wondering... Why does this thread keep disappearing?
    edited August 2014
    I have it bookmarked, so I hadn't noticed it disappearing. Maybe the forum is just busy enough that it keeps getting pushed down.
    How's the build going?
    edited August 2014
    It has been coming along quite nicely, Ive hit a few architectural walls... no pun intended. Cant decide how I want to lay out certain rooms but Ive fleshed out some of the other rooms I had already envisioned in my head.. like the gameroom/bar, foyer, garage pool area, dining room, kitchen, 2nd story living, theater room one of the bathrooms. Im really just having issues deciding on how and where I want the bedrooms.
    Ive also run into a mild inconvenience, I downloaded a few CC lots and Im fairly determined to use a custom countertop from one of the homes, however when I place a sink on it, it leaves a hole the shape of the sink in the countertop and places the sink on the floor. After some research Ive identified the issue being with the CC specifically but I can not locate the specific file to 'fix' using the tools in the tutorials. I might see if I can just find a similar CC countertop that is 'up-to-date' that should not run into the same issue.

I'll be sure to share screenshots of the complete product with you though!