Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Windows 8.1 Game Crash. I Cannot Find the Problem

I'm at my wits end. My family think's I'm crazy because all they hear are exasperated sighs and frustrated grunts.

I've followed the rules of this forum to the "T." I've been searching for a solution for 3 days but I cannot seem to find anything on google or this forum.

Background: The game worked fine on my Windows XP desktop, but hates my 8.1 laptop. I have never played it on the laptop before and have no custom content.

Problem:I keep getting this message- "The Sims 3 Has Stopped Working. Windows is searching for a solution." The game will load and sign into the sims 3 community stuff, but it will crash while loading a town, or shortly after.

Attempted solutions: I tried running the game in compatibility mode (windows 7, windows XP, and windows Vista) to no avail. I then uninstalled the most recently added game (seasons) but I still have a problem. I've done everything on the DxDiag list but got no results. I've also tried changing the performance settings to lower levels. Still nothing. I've also tried deleting the cache (but there was almost nothing in it because I haven't had a chance to really play the game!).

Games:Base, Pets, World Adventures, Late Night, Ambitions, Generations, Fast Lane, High-End Loft, Outdoor, and Town life. As mentioned earlier, I recently uninstalled Seasons.

Tech Specs: Windows 8.1 Toshiba Satellite P845t touch screen laptop
Intel i-5 processor, 1.80Ghz, 8Gb RAM.
551Gb free space on hardrive out of 686 available Gb.
Sims patch version 1.67.2.024001. It keeps saying there is an update is available but won't show it to me when I click refresh.

Please please help me! <3

Comments

• williaminawilliamina Posts: 58 Member
    edited July 2014
    My husbands suggests that you check all your drivers on your laptop are up to date as that could be your problem also i run windows8.1 on my main computer never had a problem with sims 3 i hope this helps you.
  • SarabiEventideSarabiEventide Posts: 4
    edited July 2014
    I just recently restored my computer and re-updated to windows 8.1 because of a previous driver problem (I apparently didn't follow all the steps when updating. It's absurd how tedious it was considering I was only going from 8 to 8.1).

Just checked the drivers again though, they're still up to date.

Thanks!
  • DanielroxheapsDanielroxheaps Posts: 33 Member
    edited July 2014
    I had a crashing problem, me, being a builder, found my game was crashing because of the amount of houses. It could be if you are playing in Isla Paradiso, the amount of landscaping used. It could be the fact you need to reinstall your games
  • SarabiEventideSarabiEventide Posts: 4
    edited July 2014
    Hrm. I don't have Island Paradise so perhaps I need to uninstall. Luckily it only took about 3 hours to install them all.

Thanks!
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited July 2014
    hi SarabiEventide

see if the crash checklist is helpful if not post full computer specs
    http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Sims_3_Crashing_Checklist

to post hit windows key + R. enter dxdiag and select ok to run report. then select "Save all information" and a notepad doc will open. copy/paste the whole long report here. If you have win 8/8.1 you may need to copy/paste the report into two threads, thanks!
  • cherid87120cherid87120 Posts: 2,823 Member
    edited July 2014
    I know this is pretty basic, but after I installed on my new laptop Windows 8, I had non-stop crashes.

Turns out if you have your Sims 3 folder open on your computer, this can cause a crash. Make sure you have no sims 3 folders open in Windows Explorer.