Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 9 GB... Really??

Comments

• kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited July 2014
    SimChic1 wrote:
    fdb73983-2d96-437d-8598-69cf2f0ca3c6_zpscfdc4276.jpg

If your computer couldn't handle 6GB Sims 3, have fun with this.

I've said this before, I'll say it again, EA is saying this was made for low-end computers to cover up the fact that this game is a mess because of previous online features. If there was no online in the beginining, the art style would've been a lot different, we'd have CASt, toddlers, a real open world.

Exactly this! :thumbup:

I've been saying that since the beginning! It's all just a bunch of crap. Just like when EA said you'd be able to run TS3 on "grandma's computer". LOL, yeah right! :lol::lol:
  • YazFoxxyYazFoxxy Posts: 1,219 Member
    edited July 2014
    Unless you have a really updated windows xp. I thought they were gonna have it low ends so older computers can run on it. I thought maybe the same as sims 2 tbh? Whatisgoingon!!!
  • Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    edited July 2014
    Cyron43 wrote:
    Prolly includes lots of deactivated code for online features.
    Maybe it's 5GB worth of emooootiiooooons. :lol:
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    edited July 2014
    Gazpachoid wrote:
    where are the specs for the sims 4? can you link me?

Posted on Origin under System Requirements:
    https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/buy/sims-4/pc-download/base-game/digital-deluxe-edition

It may not seem a lot now, but lets assume at least 2 GB per EP. Minimum 10 EPs would put us at 30 GB, not to mention the inevitable stuff packs and store content.

My terabyte drive is looking smaller all the time.

Phew! Thanks for posting this link. I was getting rather confused. So, I printed out the requirements and then took a look at my email confirmation from my new (1-year old) computer. I think I have more than enough. I've got Sims3 installed, three SPs, and all EPs, except Supernatural and some Store stuff, too. Plus the Sims2 UC. With all of my other stuff installed (grr, this was supposed to be for gaming only, but my old computer died) I still have 765 GB of space left on my HD. I worried about the speed mentioned until I was able to see that my 3.50 GHz is more than the 1.8GHz required. I've got 8G of RAM with room to make it a Terebyte's worth. The only thing that has me worried is the graphics card. I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 1GB.

Does anyone think I'll need to replace it? I'm not terribly computer savvy, so I don't know if the NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better, is more than what I have now. I will bookmark this thread in the hopes someone(s) will kindly respond. Thank you all, in advance.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • RSFtysolandXxXRSFtysolandXxX Posts: 79 New Member
    edited July 2014
    Glic2003 wrote:
    Plenty of games are in the 20+ GB range now, so 9 GB isn't that much.

Also, a lot of that could be just audio files (music, Simlish, etc).

Heh...Titanfall was somewhere close to 40GB

Also, how much space a game takes up on a hard drive has very little to do with how it performs. You may see longer loading screens but even that is very much disconnected with how large the game is. Obviously a hard drive can only load data so quickly, but typically you are not sending out 6GB of data in a single load screen (though CoD: Ghost system requirements apparently say otherwise :roll: )
  • Taranatar9Taranatar9 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited July 2014
    YazFoxxy wrote:
    Unless you have a really updated windows xp. I thought they were gonna have it low ends so older computers can run on it. I thought maybe the same as sims 2 tbh? Whatisgoingon!!!

Essentially the same system requirements as TS3 five years later is pretty low end.
  • UtaDagdaUtaDagda Posts: 1,556 Member
    edited July 2014
    How much GB a game is doesn't really dictate how it runs....Just so you know. And this game has more base game content than any in the TS series so far so of course it's going to be a bigger game.
    Love The Sims? SIMMERSE YOURSELF. Join our community.
    I gave up singing. Sorry.
    Here have my luchADORE to cheer you up.
    luchad.pngluucha.gif
  • ArachneArachne Posts: 238 Member
    edited July 2014
    Gazpachoid wrote:
    where are the specs for the sims 4? can you link me?

Posted on Origin under System Requirements:
    https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/buy/sims-4/pc-download/base-game/digital-deluxe-edition

It may not seem a lot now, but lets assume at least 2 GB per EP. Minimum 10 EPs would put us at 30 GB, not to mention the inevitable stuff packs and store content.

My terabyte drive is looking smaller all the time.

Phew! Thanks for posting this link. I was getting rather confused. So, I printed out the requirements and then took a look at my email confirmation from my new (1-year old) computer. I think I have more than enough. I've got Sims3 installed, three SPs, and all EPs, except Supernatural and some Store stuff, too. Plus the Sims2 UC. With all of my other stuff installed (grr, this was supposed to be for gaming only, but my old computer died) I still have 765 GB of space left on my HD. I worried about the speed mentioned until I was able to see that my 3.50 GHz is more than the 1.8GHz required. I've got 8G of RAM with room to make it a Terebyte's worth. The only thing that has me worried is the graphics card. I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 1GB.

Does anyone think I'll need to replace it? I'm not terribly computer savvy, so I don't know if the NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better, is more than what I have now. I will bookmark this thread in the hopes someone(s) will kindly respond. Thank you all, in advance.

No, you're more than good. The 6600 is around a decade old, iirc. The 650 only came out 2 years ago.
  • fereldenherofereldenhero Posts: 10 New Member
    edited July 2014
    I, for one, am thankful they included XP support. It's what, 10 years old?

Not all of us have the benefit of being able to update our computers with the newest tech. Hell, in our household, we don't have enough money for the games themselves. Too bad you can't get operating systems for free...

There are a lot more of us out there than you might think. I am one of the more unwilling participants of XP, but there's nothing I can do about that until I'm able to get a job.

Besides, why update your computer for new games when you can play KOTOR and Dragon Age??
  • simsacesimsace Posts: 1,483 Member
    edited July 2014
    UtaDagda wrote:
    How much GB a game is doesn't really dictate how it runs....Just so you know. And this game has more base game content than any in the TS series so far so of course it's going to be a bigger game.

BS. This has less content than sims 3 and arguably 2. the only reason the file size is large is because of items and probably more polygons on sims and objects.
  • Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited July 2014
    UtaDagda wrote:
    And this game has more base game content than any in the TS series so far so of course it's going to be a bigger game.
    You sure have an official statement from EA or another reasonable proof, don't you?
    You wouldn't pull such information out of your nose just because you wish it is that way, would you?
    I'm usually pretty well informed but I haven't found such info yet and what we saw in the video was very poor.
    Not only the lack of objects were pretty obvious but also the downgraded poly count. Just look at that benches at the chess table and compare these with the ones we have in TS3.
    This space is for rent.
  • UtaDagdaUtaDagda Posts: 1,556 Member
    edited July 2014
    Cyron43 wrote:
    UtaDagda wrote:
    And this game has more base game content than any in the TS series so far so of course it's going to be a bigger game.
    You sure have an official statement from EA or another reasonable proof, don't you?
    You wouldn't pull such information out of your nose just because you wish it is that way, would you?
    I'm usually pretty well informed but I haven't found such info yet and what we saw in the video was very poor.
    Not only the lack of objects were pretty obvious but also the downgraded poly count. Just look at that benches at the chess table and compare these with the ones we have in TS3.

They have stated that this game will ship with more base game content, yeah. And from all the interactions I've seen per Sim and object and the official announcements of various things in the game I can pretty much conclude that it's true.
    Love The Sims? SIMMERSE YOURSELF. Join our community.
    I gave up singing. Sorry.
    Here have my luchADORE to cheer you up.
    luchad.pngluucha.gif
  • Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited July 2014
    UtaDagda wrote:
    They have stated that this game will ship with more base game content, yeah.
    Can anyone confirm this with a link to an official statement?

EDIT: Still nothing? So I close this case and label it "Just another false assumption".
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    This space is for rent.
  • MinaInMSMinaInMS Posts: 31 Member
    edited July 2014
    Not all of us have the benefit of being able to update our computers with the newest tech.

This argument is kind of like complaining that it's not fair that Microsoft is releasing games for the Xbox one, and not everyone can afford to upgrade from their Xbox 360.

Catering to yesterday's technology is kind of sad really. If everyone did that, we'd never have anything new and better.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    edited July 2014
    MinaInMS wrote:
    Not all of us have the benefit of being able to update our computers with the newest tech.

This argument is kind of like complaining that it's not fair that Microsoft is releasing games for the Xbox one, and not everyone can afford to upgrade from their Xbox 360.

Catering to yesterday's technology is kind of sad really. If everyone did that, we'd never have anything new and better.

Says you, I get along fine...
    Oh, excuse me. My mobile phone is ringing.
    index.jpg
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • GillieGillie Posts: 1,708 Member
    edited July 2014
    MinaInMS wrote:

I overheard a woman explaining to her daughter how blu-ray was inferior to DVDs one time at a store. I could not help but shake my head and walk away.
  • DeltaStormDeltaStorm Posts: 126 Member
    edited July 2014
    Cyron43 wrote:
    UtaDagda wrote:

EDIT: Still nothing? So I close this case and label it "Just another false assumption".

They said in one of the CAS video demos.
  • ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    edited July 2014
    Cyron43 wrote:
    UtaDagda wrote:

The only thing I've seen is a verification that there is more base game content than what's in the CAS demo: https://twitter.com/SimGuruGrant/statuses/490161463097442304 Perhaps that's what UtaDagda remembered.

Sarah also tweeted something similar.^

Of course, I don't actually keep track of or read all of the Guru tweets so it's possible I missed one that said that. I'd be surprised if they did, though.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • cooli02000cooli02000 Posts: 1,974 Member
    edited July 2014
    ebuchala wrote:
    Cyron43 wrote:
    UtaDagda wrote:

The only thing I've seen is a verification that there is more base game content than what's in the CAS demo: https://twitter.com/SimGuruGrant/statuses/490161463097442304 Perhaps that's what UtaDagda remembered.

Of course, I don't actually keep track of or read all of the Guru tweets so it's possible I missed one that said that. I'd be surprised if they did, though.

It was in one of the gaming magazines. Ryan Vaughn stated that The Sims 4 had more content than any other Sims game in terms of clothing and objects.
  • ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    edited July 2014
    cooli02000 wrote:
    ebuchala wrote:
    Cyron43 wrote:
    UtaDagda wrote:

It was in one of the gaming magazines. Ryan Vaughn stated that The Sims 4 had more content than any other Sims game in terms of clothing and objects.

Ah, that would explain why I don't remember seeing it. I don't read any gaming mags currently.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    edited July 2014
    Thank you for the response, Arachne! (Hope I spelled that correctly. :shock: )
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • DazzaUKNGDazzaUKNG Posts: 38 Member
    edited July 2014
    Well isnt that a good thing. We arent living in 2009 anymore,

If only it was 2009, Sims 4 is DirectX 9 compatible. So 2004 at the earliest, 2008 at the latest.

Todays computers can handle it (says he with the 1Tb Samsung EVO SSD data drive), pity EA didn't look at any of todays computers.

On the upside lag shouldn't be a problem for some considerable time...

All joking aside (well I hope it turns out I'm joking) I imagine the engine will scale up to DirectX 11.
  • XesianXesian Posts: 441 Member
    edited July 2014
    This probably isn't the best thing to judge a game without actually having played it yet.

You can still fit a serious amount of stuff into a game that size.
  • HappyPhantomHappyPhantom Posts: 881 Member
    edited July 2014
    Are the updated spec requirements on "Can You Run It?" I'd love to see how my rig does. I know there was something on "Can You Run It" earlier but it was the "minimum" system requirements. I wasn't sure if can you run it has the "preferred" or whatever requirements.
    sims4forumsmaller.gif

• WilderwolfWilderwolf Posts: 3,406 Member
    edited July 2014
    First everyone complains because "nothing is in Sims 4" and now you're complaining because "too much is in Sims 4 and the file is too big." Are you serious right now? OR just crazy? My laptop has 700 gbs of space, so I gladly welcome larger game sizes because it means there is more to it.
    Sig_zpsrk5fg4ri.gif