Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Loading screen times

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    RAE2786RAE2786 Posts: 683 New Member
    edited July 2014
    pam4402003 wrote:
    I'm very happy with that. We don't mind watching a 15 minutes commercials on TV, and 10 minutes of the show. and pay $70 to over a $100 plus a month.
    I'm very happy with the Sims 4

I very seldom watch tv I hate commercials! We are either on our computers or we are watching a DVD movie not much tv here in our house. who is this "WE" you speak of?? Do you have a frog in your pocket??

Do people still watch TV? :shock:
    Lol but seriously, I just use my TV to watch dvds and cannot even use youtube without Adblock. I haven't seen an ad in forever.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited July 2014
    Rhian2005 wrote:
    Valandis wrote:
    Just wait, someone will definitely have a problem with them. :lol:
    Even if it was 20 secs or even 10 secs.

It beginnsss!! Haha already a few comments saying it's unacceptable.
    That poster is correct almost everybody is happy now but once the game is out live, somebody is going to complain about long loading times. I do not have to worry about that because my systems are way capable. Intel I7 2600 16 GB ram Nvidia 560 SC 2 GB, Intel I7 3770K 16 Gb ram Nvidia GTX 770 Classified 4 GB and I7 4770K 16 GB Nvidia 680 SC 2 GB.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Rhian2005 wrote:
    kovu0207 wrote:
    Rhian2005 wrote:
    Valandis wrote:
    Just wait, someone will definitely have a problem with them. :lol:
    Even if it was 20 secs or even 10 secs.

It beginnsss!! Haha already a few comments saying it's unacceptable.

Of course a few people are going to be worried about the load times, you're welcome to your opinion as are they to theirs. Some people are looking at the bigger picture. If we have almost a minute of load screens in a demo, with just the base game, and more than likely on a computer set up for gaming, how bad is it going to be on a normal computer with several Eps? :)

I understand that. I do. To be honest, 15-25 seconds of your life isn't horrendous. People freak out over the silliest things when it's the few weeks before a game release. He even said that anything in that video was a version of the game from E3, being positive that could be an indicator of even shorter loading times when the game is released. Also I never said anyone was not entitled to their opinion in my post otherwise I would've said that in the opening post. That being said, I'm allowed to acknowledge the fact that although I'm fine with the loading times we have seen so far, not everyone will be. It's as simple as that. :)
    If your computer is as awesome as you say of course 20 to 25 is not bad but not everybody has a computer like EA/Maxis therefore that 20 to 25 secs could turn into 1 minute to 2minutes are more and for some that is unacceptable. Let ask you this way you think everybody's computer going to act or perform the same way as the computer EA/Maxis was using? What EA/Maxis could have done was use a low end computer to show customers that even loading times on a low end is good. They had said to cover themselves that loading times will be dependent on the computer specs further meaning everybody not going to get the same times.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I'm not bothered by it at all. Though they could throw in some trivia/ minigame like the Sims 2 did when you would install the game. Maybe some "did you knows"... I dunno. Either way ok with it.
    Oh yeah I like those :D
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Glimmer50 wrote:
    I got about the same loading times as you did OP.

I also wanted to add that I got on the Sims 3 and timed how long it took one of my Sims to come home from a party about halfway across town in Riverview and it took 20 seconds. So instead of watching a loading screen I was watching a cab ride.

Why would EP's add loading times per lot? I guess if you put more stuff on the lot then it would otherwise wouldn't it be the same? Maybe I don't see the big picture or understand since I never played Sims 2 with loading screens.

Does it depend on the EP? Like if we got Late Night as an example, we would get Vampires so they would now be on the lots we go to but since lots can only have so many Sims on them, I don't see how that increases the load time per lot. I can see where it would add the game load time in the beginning though because you have more of the game to load.

I am not trying to be difficult...I just don't understand.
    it is all about the CPU and GPU when processing time is important and also rendering. As long as you have a good CPU and GPU where you do not get bottlenecking you should be okay. Now being Sims 4 is going to be 32 Bit I do not know how well that is going to play out being Sims 4 will not be using all of the computers benefits that comes with 64 bit and that will remain to be seen.
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited July 2014
    CK213 wrote:
    Glimmer50 wrote:

I also wanted to add that I got on the Sims 3 and timed how long it took one of my Sims to come home from a party about halfway across town in Riverview and it took 20 seconds. So instead of watching a loading screen I was watching a cab ride.

I still don't get this argument.
    With a loading screen you get nothing but the screen and twiddling your thumbs while you wait.

With your cab ride, you don't have to watch the cab ride. You could be playing other sims while your sim is traveling. You can go ahead to your destination to see what sims are hanging around. You could check out the route your sim is taking to see if there are any useful collectables around, or any interesting sims along the way. And if you don't like how long a trip is taking, buy a fast car so it's shorter.

And even then you can teleport your sim to location.
    Instant travel without a loading screen.

I agree. I liked the open world because you could do all of those things. While my sims were traveling to their destination I was always zooming around the neighborhood to see what was going on, or playing with my other sims at home. And I liked the fact that they actually had to travel by means of a vehicle (or their feet, whatever), because it was yet another thing that made it feel more like a life simulation to me.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    It was the same way in TS2. Load times are about 10-20 seconds and time doesn't even operate correctly on a public lot.

My sims don't really go anywhere unless they have to or want to, and in my experiences with TS3, cab times and idiotic autonomous running is the same amount of wasted time as loading screens are.

Mine was the same but looking at low end computers when Sims 2 was out. People was complaining of loading times of 2 mins or more. So in some way high end computers are going to benefit more than those using low end computers
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    organgrinder20porgangrinder20p Posts: 479 New Member
    edited July 2014
    MilenyNoda wrote:
    I wish the loading screens were a different color :S...cuz the white background i donnot like :(
    Yes, the white loading screen will burn out my retinas, :x or at least see alot of floaters.
  • Options
    kovu0207kovu0207 Posts: 6,209 Member
    edited July 2014
    lucyvp86 wrote:
    I teleport my Sims everywhere I want them to go. They are there instantly so the argument that it takes longer for them to drive is invalid for me since my Sims never drive anywhere.

Now with the loading screens, I am forced to twiddle my thumbs and wait impatiently for the lot to load. I will hate that since I like to be there instantly.

Me too, it's an awesome feature, so quick. However, loading screens no matter how short will always feel really long to those who use the teleport option.
    kovu0207ver2.jpg
  • Options
    Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited July 2014
    UtaDagda wrote:
    1 Gets rid of Open World <3
    2 Reduces lag and glitch <3
    3 Faster than taking taxi and jogging <3

Win.

I want Open World.

I never suffered the lag or the glitches others are reporting.

Not really faster. I can send one sim to the park, one sim to fish at the river, and stay on the home lot to have 'mother' put the toddlers down for a nap before choosing a book to read. Then...it takes about a second to go to the river to have the fishing sim choose a good spot and interact with others who are fishing. Then...a second to fly across the open world to find play mates for the sim at the park. When the toddlers wake from their nap, it takes only a second to return to the home lot to have the mother interact with the sims still at home. When it is meal time, I can call the sims from the park and river without following them home and without a loading screen, which means 'mother' can continue cooking and watching after the younglings.
    ==>my point is that with an open world, one does not have to stop playing when a sim leaves the area.<==
  • Options
    SlyBootsSlyBoots Posts: 559 Member
    edited July 2014
    It was the same way in TS2. Load times are about 10-20 seconds and time doesn't even operate correctly on a public lot.

My sims don't really go anywhere unless they have to or want to, and in my experiences with TS3, cab times and idiotic autonomous running is the same amount of wasted time as loading screens are.

But are you taking into account that you can speed up TS3 journeys x3, in my game it's only 5 seconds or so to get across town :)
  • Options
    Rhian2005Rhian2005 Posts: 611 Member
    edited July 2014
    I'll be honest when I found out about no create a style I was not ok. When I found out about loading screens again I was not ok. No toddlers or pools, not ok. I was ranting raving mad. Then, I gave it a few days and I cooled down, much to my partners delight because he was sick of hearing my complaining. I figure it as this: I'm going to buy the base game and if I love it, then great and I'll keep buying the EPs, if I don't then I just won't buy anymore and be done with the sims for good. I'm trying to see positive amidst all this negativity. As a sim fan I really want to like this game as I've been with it since it first every came out! Those blocky sims 1 days. It's been a huge part of my childhood, teenage years and now adulthood. I REALLY don't want it to end. If I can compromise a few things and love it then awesome. If the loading times get worse of course I'm gonna be mad. As if I would sit there for 5 minutes waiting for my sim to come home from the gym and be happy. It's just not going to fly. But from what I can see so far I'm not unhappy. I'm really happy that it seems quite short and the look and feel of the game (what I've seen) is growing on me. Feels like a more in depth Sims 2 (and the sims 2 was my all time favvvv!)

Can't wait! :)
  • Options
    Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited July 2014
    Evalen wrote:
    I'm very happy with that. We don't mind watching a 15 minutes commercials on TV, and 10 minutes of the show. and pay $70 to over a $100 plus a month.
    I'm very happy with the Sims 4

I do not pay to watch commercials. 10 minutes of show for 15 minutes of commercial is a bad trade off...even worse if one is paying $70 - $100 a month.
  • Options
    Pandagirl9449Pandagirl9449 Posts: 911 Member
    edited July 2014
    The loading screens I can deal with since all of my games have loading screens. Plus it reminds me that I'm playing a game...as strange as that might sound.
  • Options
    Rhian2005Rhian2005 Posts: 611 Member
    edited July 2014
    The loading screens I can deal with since all of my games have loading screens. Plus it reminds me that I'm playing a game...as strange as that might sound.

It's a little strange haha :P

I just am not so much fussed. Unless it becomes a huggggeeee problem. Which so far it looks like it's not.
  • Options
    Larium1Larium1 Posts: 71 Member
    edited July 2014
    But it's not just 15-25 seconds. It's 15-25 seconds every time you want to go somewhere else, or switch between two Sims in different locations. In a typical play session, I coukd easily spend more time waiting altogether than I ever do in TS3. My TS3 loading times are about 3-4 minutes. I would much rather wait for that once, than be constantly interrupted by loading screens during gameplay.

This!^

It's so much better to load everything once and not to see those loading screens ever again
  • Options
    LinaraYodLinaraYod Posts: 115 Member
    edited July 2014
    I'm hoping they've figured out how to keep those loading times as short as they are in the demo.

I agree with everyone else--I used travel time to check in with my other sims or set up a queue of actions for the travelling sim.

Loading screens take me out of the game and get me wishing I had something to do.

And by the end of my Sims 2 playing days, those loading screens were long enough for me to go do a load of laundry before they were loaded.

DO NOT WANT
  • Options
    pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    edited July 2014
    CK213 wrote:
    Glimmer50 wrote:

I still gon't get this argument.
    With a loading screen you get nothing but the screen and twiddling your thumbs while you wait.

With your cab ride, you don't have to watch the cab ride. You could be playing other sims while your sim is traveling. You can go ahead to your destination to see what sims are hanging around. You could check out the route your sim is taking to see if there are any useful collectables around, or any interesting sims along the way. And if you don't like how long a trip is taking, buy a fast car so it's shorter.

And even then you can teleport your sim to location.
    Instant travel without a loading screen.