Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A trip down nostalgia lane! The Sims 2 discussion thread, a place to talk and share about Sims 2!

Comments

• DonLatharoDonLatharo Posts: 151 Member
    edited July 2014
    MsPhy wrote:
    I managed to finish the Apocalypse Challenge, enjoyed it. Tried the Legacy Challenge several times; I think the farthest I got was 5th generation. My favorite challenge is the Prosperity Challenge. I'm thinking of giving that a shot again with the new ultimate collection.

I always try to play the legacy challenge, but I always fail! I somehow always use cheats :oops:, and I don't have the patience to play one :mrgreen:
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    edited July 2014
    MsPhy wrote:

Out on the town? You mean like on dates, or shopping? Install a downtown area for a place to go on dates or shopping. You can also install the business area, where there are some owned businesses for shopping or you can buy/start your own business. There are round icons at the top of your neighborhood screen for these.

Note on dates: I haven't tried this in ultimate, but in my old game I sometimes had a problem of asking someone out on a date, but not getting to downtown fast enough, so they'd say I stood them up and hate me for awhile. It's better to either go to the place and then call them up for a date, or have them come to your home for the date and then go downtown together.

My bad for the failed verbiage. I meant being able to just hit map, and select a location to send my Sim. I love the Open World. I just may end up creating my own neighborhood again. I ended up doing that originally, and I found I didn't wish to play anywhere else. I do see we've got some additional neighborhoods to choose from. Must be from OFB. Can't wait to run a business again. I really missed it more than I thought I would.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • KatnapKatnap Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited July 2014
    I'm loving it. I forgot how nutso they can be. I also forgot how hard playing the Broke family can be, too. Their needs decay so quickly.

I also forgot about the Legacy Challenge for Sims 2. I'll have to go search on that. I don't think I ever got too far with that before.

There are so many things in 2 that I missed during playing 3. Though, there are aspects of 3 I liked as well. I just hope EA came up with a good combination, plus some more new things for 4.
  • SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    edited July 2014
    Never played TS2 so.... I need tips!! lolz Would love to hear from some veterans on what to do, what not to do, etc.

If I want to build my own neighborhoods... how does that work? Is it true that any change I make in a neighborhood is permanent unless I save as? Can you download neighborhoods?

The aging is different, yes? So... how do you deal with that? Can you just invite people over and age them up? Is there story progression? If so, does it work?

Any mods that are must-haves? I'd rather not have to deal with maty, but will if necessary.

Some comparison on how things are done in TS3 v. TS2 would be helpful.

There is no color wheel or CASt so if I want recolors I have to download them, yes? What about skins and stuff? Where do I put the downloads? Some are simpack and some are package? Oh dear... I feel a CC binge coming on...

What is The Body Shop for?

I have a million of them...
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    edited July 2014
    Haven't played the sims 2 since sims 3 came out. I tried to install it on the computer I got in 2009 for the sims 3, but it wouldn't work at all. It wasn't the greatest laptop, but handled sims 3 till I needed a new one. I remember being so upset the sims 2 didn't work though. I now have a new laptop with the sims 3 and all the eps, but no sims 2! I lent a friend the base game and a few eps, but they lost the base game. Tried to find a replacement, but it seems they have stopped selling the sims 2 stand alone base game. My friend didn't lose the eps so I have them all, but can't play.
  • MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    edited July 2014
    Surreal wrote:
    Never played TS2 so.... I need tips!! lolz Would love to hear from some veterans on what to do, what not to do, etc.

If I want to build my own neighborhoods... how does that work? Is it true that any change I make in a neighborhood is permanent unless I save as? Can you download neighborhoods?

You can't design your own neighborhood unless you have Sim City .. 4? Sorry, I was never into that, but an old bf was. However, there are empty neighborhood templates that you can name and populate with your own houses etc.

There's no "save as" option.

I'm not sure if there's anyplace left where you can download neighborhoods.
    The aging is different, yes? So... how do you deal with that? Can you just invite people over and age them up? Is there story progression? If so, does it work?

Aging isn't really that different. You can have a birthday party, or they'll age up on their own.

There is no story progression. All the other households are frozen in time while you play the one you're on, and no one ages. However, you can switch between households. Some people like to play on cycles -- this house 5 days, the next house 5 days, etc. -- to keep a sort of uniform story progression.

Any mods that are must-haves? I'd rather not have to deal with maty, but will if necessary.

In my opinion, you can play without mods more easily than you can play TS3 without mods (I'd be lost without NRAAS mods for TS3), but I do use a lot of MATY's Director's Cut mods. You can download them without ever entering the forum.

There is no color wheel or CASt so if I want recolors I have to download them, yes? What about skins and stuff? Where do I put the downloads? Some are simpack and some are package? Oh dear... I feel a CC binge coming on...

Pretyy much, yes. Yes. You put downloads in the Downloads folder.

I never use Body Shop, but if I remember right you can recolor clothes.

I got interrupted while answering, so there are probably 10 other answers by now, but I wrote too much not to post ;-)
    edited July 2014
    Imagine that, no one else answered yet! Well .. differences between the way things are done in TS2 vs TS3 ..... the biggest things are the lack of story progression and the lack of open world. When you go downtown or shopping, there's a loading screen to take you to that location. When your go to work, they disappear in your car/car pool, leaving you to watch their empty house on speed 3 until they come back (if no one else is home). It passes very quickly. There are no mid-life crises. Young adult stage is only while you're at Uni. Only young adults can go to uni. When you come back, you're an adult. If you skip going to Uni, you go straight from teen to adult.

I'm trying to think of other things. There are a lot of different social interactions that you don't have in TS3, and there are social interactions you have in TS3 that you don't have in TS2. It's just different.

If your guy gets alien-abducted, the baby is genetically his and the alien's.

Genetics are great, in my opinion. I love to watch noses and chins get passed down, and someone's recessive hair color or eye color pop out in the third generation.

I can't think of anything else right now, but if you have more specific questions, I'm sure we can all talk your ear off ;-)
  • DonLatharoDonLatharo Posts: 151 Member
    edited July 2014
    Katnap wrote:
    I'm loving it. I forgot how nutso they can be. I also forgot how hard playing the Broke family can be, too. Their needs decay so quickly.

I also forgot about the Legacy Challenge for Sims 2. I'll have to go search on that. I don't think I ever got too far with that before.

There are so many things in 2 that I missed during playing 3. Though, there are aspects of 3 I liked as well. I just hope EA came up with a good combination, plus some more new things for 4.

The Sims 2 Sims are crazy, they are very different from The Sims 3 Sims. :D
  • misty4mmisty4m Posts: 2,266 Member
    edited July 2014
    Surreal wrote:

Quick guide to create your neighbourhood
    http://modthesims.info/t/171480

You can also start buidling in the empty world in the sims 2

With the sims 2 aging process it's a little different when a sim teen head to college they can pick a few sim teens to go to college with and age them up with them and also in free time you can pick certain sims to age with you.

The Sims 2: FreeTime
    http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/The_Sims_2:_FreeTime

NPC AgingEdit
    Sims' townie friends no longer remain the same age forever. Whenever a Sim grows up, they can choose any 3 townies they know to grow up together. With this feature, childhood friends can grow older, and teen couples can be married when they're old enough.

The sims 2 game runs pretty well without mods need

Body Shop have a lot of great tools, you can use it for almost anything from skin coloring, clothing, hair, creating make-up.

Body Shop
    http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Body_Shop

( you need a mod for re-coloring ojbecs in the sims 2 )
    tutorials-sims2-recoloringobjects Index
    http://www.thesimsresource.com/content/posts/category/tutorials-sims2-recoloringobjects

F.Y.I

Turning Aging Off
    press down CTRL + SHIFT + C
    Then enter : aging off

Cheat codes also for the sims 2 (the ones we love )
    motherlode
    moveojects on
    maxmotives
    new.png
  • pattyheartpattyheart Posts: 284 Member
    edited July 2014
    I am one of the many players who have stayed with Sims2. Sims 3 is a beautiful, interesting game with wonderful building tools. However, it is Sims 2 that has held my interest for years.
    My Origin ID is PattyHeart <3 Find me at Twitter as animatedword <3
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Member
    edited July 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    edited July 2014
    Does anyone know where to find cc in a big pack? Like a whole variety of finds versus spending forever getting them?

Not really... there's sets and fansites and pages and pages of it. :lol:

• exotickittenexotickitten Posts: 4,113 Member
    edited July 2014
    Just reminding everyone, as much as we love ts2, it has a whole set of quirks of it's own. For instance, neighborhood corruption: caused by deleting sims from the game or the simbin or family bin, or deleting binned houses, or lots in hoods etc etc.... bc they all leave fragments that eventually can kill the hood, and sometimes your whole save game files.

I don't even know if anyone remembers this. That's why I brought it up. Hopefully, we don't get to many why's and how comes. Maybe some will see this and look it up.

*Pardon my poor sentence structure. I'm used to chatting in yahoo where I don't need punctuation. :P
    & http://exotickittens.blogspot.com & https://twitter.com/simkitten
    -my nickname was taken on twitter :(
    dac6aa93-85be-457a-a356-02f0a5dd016f_zps42daf419.png
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    edited July 2014
    Surreal wrote:

To build your own worlds you need Sim City 4. Mod the Sims is likely to have numerous world templates. If you find you like the outdoor activities or plan to do a lot building and sharing, give priority to the worlds that look flat. Sims will not have a water balloon fight over a hilly terrain.

Aging and Progression are much different. Short of the NPC's aging up with your Sims only the Sims in your active household will age. And progression only happens in your active household. The only exception is when you are on community lots or at a dorm in University. Then the townies and other playables that you aren't playing will interact on their own. Time on the home lot does not progress when you're off on community lots.

There are no must have mods like there are for Sims 3. The Sims 2 community also tosses the word hack around for mods. MATY does have a number of useful mods. Broken down into several different mods unlike his mod for Sims 3. And they do not expire.

TwoJeffs on Simbology has a number of useful mods including Triplets and Quads and Autonomous Casual Romance (these two mods are basically TwoJeffs' version of the W mod by Twallan). He also has the mods that allow for same sex pregnancy.

Mod the Sims also has mods for Sims 2.

Yes, you will need CC for recolors. If it is an object made by EA that you are getting a recolor for you will need the Color Enable Package (CEP). It's found on MTS.

.sims2pack files can go anywhere. You just have to double click them to install them. This file format is the ONLY way you should download Sims and lots. Everything else is a .package file and goes in a folder called Downloads in My Documents/EA Games folder. You will have to make this folder and capitalization and spelling matters.

Body Shop is for making Sims and is the program used if you want to recolor any clothes or hair. Body Shop does have more options and the Sim is saved for future use. Creating Sims in CAS is a one time use thing only. The more CC you get the longer Body Shop takes to load. My old low end desktop took 30 minutes to load Body Shop's loading screen up. It's NOT a very efficient or fast program. It is slower than CASt.

Here are some differences that I notice when I go between games:

1. You can't choose your Sim's LTW. It's randomly assigned to them when they turn teenager or are created if they are teen or older when they are first created. There are hacks that allow you to move between the LTW's for a particular aspiration and there are hacks that open up all LTW's to all aspirations or just reassign the LTW's. But there isn't a mod to my knowledge to let you pick the LTW.

1a. You can also complete more than one LTW.

1b. Completing the LTW will give your Sim permanent platinum status. This is usually referred to as a permaplat on forums. Permaplat Sims will typically be able to do whatever you want them to do unless one of their critical needs is in distress (hunger and energy, I believe).

2. Promotions are different. In Sims 3 you can have a Sim with no cooking skill who's really good at befriending Sims reach the top and Sims with max cooking and poor people skills reach the top. Not so in Sims 2. In Sims 2 you MUST have X skill level in A, B, and/or C skills and must have Z family friends (your family can do the friend making). If the job requires 4 friends for promotion and you have all the skills and the 4 friends when you go to work, but 4 pm comes and goes and you go down to 3 friends and you can't get it back to 4 before you finish work. Sorry. No promotion. 4 pm is the time of day when the Daily and Lifetime relationships change up.

2a. There are two relationship bars in Sims 2. Daily and Lifetime. Friend and Crush status work off of the Daily bar. Best friend and Love status work off of the Lifetime bar.

2b. Chance cards do pop up and they can promote your Sim, demote your Sim, get your Sim fired, give them money, cause them to lose money, gain a skill point, or even lose a skill point. You can also choose to ignore them. For most of the options 85% of the time one choice will be right and 15% of the time the other choice will be right. So don't think that just because Choice A got your Sim fired that Choice B is the right answer. Snooty Sims does have this chart for most of the careers. You will need to use google to find it they took the links down to the Sims 2 Infocenter again.
  • exotickittenexotickitten Posts: 4,113 Member
    edited July 2014
    @Seera1024 I thought there was that baby thing (simmodder?) in there for changing ltw's with if you use boolprop tce? Am I mistaken? Or is that broken in the coding now?
    & http://exotickittens.blogspot.com & https://twitter.com/simkitten
    -my nickname was taken on twitter :(
    dac6aa93-85be-457a-a356-02f0a5dd016f_zps42daf419.png
    edited July 2014
    Just reminding everyone, as much as we love ts2, it has a whole set of quirks of it's own. For instance, neighborhood corruption: caused by deleting sims from the game or the simbin or family bin, or deleting binned houses, or lots in hoods etc etc.... bc they all leave fragments that eventually can kill the hood, and sometimes your whole save game files.

I don't even know if anyone remembers this. That's why I brought it up. Hopefully, we don't get to many why's and how comes. Maybe some will see this and look it up.

*Pardon my poor sentence structure. I'm used to chatting in yahoo where I don't need punctuation. :P

I will expand on this.

Read this page: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Avoiding_Hood_Corruption

This gives what causes the problems as well as any possible solutions or preventative measures that can be taken.

Edit: The page also lists the symptoms of corruption.
  • TheSimsislifeTheSimsislife Posts: 45 Member
    edited July 2014
    I remember putting my sim through college and then moving into the neighborhood and starting a family but the newspaper and computer would never EVER offer the job my sim aspired to have. I refused to use any cheats to get him the job and I think he died unemployed...or at least not ever having had his dream job.

That's so realistic...honestly.

I also miss the really ugly townies like Kennedy Cox with his ridiculously long nose they added had some personality and were always there for my sims to harass. I notice the sims 3 townies always seem to be default.

Another thing I liked was that when sims aged up their relationship would go back to being friends. It seems kinda weird when my game tells me my teen sim is in a relationship with an adult (no 🐸🐸🐸🐸) In sims 2 you could just say it was an experimental time and is all behind them and you didn't have to worry about that person having feelings still and getting mad when they're dumped...but it could be looked back on in their memories.
    edited July 2014
    @Seera1024 I thought there was that baby thing (simmodder?) in there for changing ltw's with if you use boolprop tce? Am I mistaken? Or is that broken in the coding now?

Oh yea, that is there. I haven't used the non-mod way in years. But you still can't choose the LTW with that.

Sim Modder is an option if you shift click a Sim while having boolprop testingcheatsenabled set to true. The testing cheats cheat needs the boolprop at the front now.

• carlymichellecarlymichelle Posts: 3,402 Member
    edited July 2014
    does anyone know any high quility sites with cc clothes i can find awesome hair but the clothes are ugly lol
  • MrBump13MrBump13 Posts: 316 Member
    edited July 2014
    Are you all running TS2 UC on windows 8 :)? Whenever I enter CAS or try choosing a family, it comes up with an error message saying that mansion and garden stuff is not working and the application is being terminated? Could anyone help me? I've tried it LOADS of times, but it just crases after about 2-3 minutes? I have a fairly good laptop that runs on windows 8, is an intel core i7 processor, 2.9ghz, 8 (or12) GB of ram, and an NVIDEA graphics card? I'm recovering from surgery and I'd love to play, pleas help <3
  • mlnov39mlnov39 Posts: 2,294 Member
    edited July 2014
    Rflong7 wrote:

I love Liana Sims, I got so many outfits from there years ago!

Don't forget all-about-style!
    http://all-about-style.com/adult_feca.html

I used to get custom made worlds from Mod the sims 2. They worked great!
  • MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member
    edited July 2014
    Playing yesterday was fun and challenging, there were some details I had forgotten about, or just hadn't noticed

* The pop up box when the mail person arrives or the uni dorm mates get into a fight {my old desktop never showed them and would only handle low graphics settings}

* Screenshots save as bmp images and only one stays available at a time, which means if you want to share images you have to convert each pic to jpg

* shoes come preset with each outfit ..... arg!!!!!!

* tattoos are part of the outfit, so if the sim changes clothes there goes the ink work :lol:

* I have to reteach myself how to make cc eyes & hair if I want something other than what's already there, seriously missing the color wheel after one day of play

* I had forgotten how realistic the stubble and beards were and that you could layer them seperately

* The skunk and penguin wandering past your house on the sidewalk; a random dog got sprayed by the skunk, lol

* When your sim meets new sims or friends there seems to be a lot more interaction options on the pie menu

* No more angling furniture or recoloring it :( yes a few pieces can be done at angle but the space needed to move around furniture makes it awkward

* sims don't just step to the side if their both trying to walk in the same space

* The largest lot 5x6 isn't all that affordable for a single sim, especially if you put a shelter on it, no shelter 1 sim can just barely afford the lot

* the cheat codes are different ;) ..... found myself wanting to type in tce and buydebug a few times :lol:

* Mrs. Crumblebottom will show up if your date is without swim trunks in the hot tub, and also harass you for public displays of affection! :lol::lol: I have missed her so much :mrgreen:

* Pets wil reduce the furniture to rubble in minutes if you don't get to them fast enough, the pile used to be a two person bed :shock:
    [img]http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/bc/01/52/bc01527ac0c46723b458fb3f03731b6c.jpg "width=500"[/img]

* Any sim with super low hygiene will take a sponge bath
    [img]http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/af/f7/fa/aff7fa12bb1c26df88aa0409c9181366.jpg "width=500"[/img]

* and holy tundra the apocalypse challenge is so much harder in s2 than s3, especially if you start with a female founder I'm about to have to restart for the 4th time already, but my 3rd sim is so much closer to completing her career that I've got my fingers crossed she makes it this time

* Game question .... wasn't there supposed to be a photo booth at the bowling alley that sims could use for making out?

I have an ethics question to which I believe the answer is/should be no, but felt like tossing it out anyway for discussion.

I have 11 sims package files that were all offered as free content by ea/maxis through the now gone ts2 site: Is it okay to share these files through say media fire and my personal blog? or Not?

As to the ts2 store content I never owned any of it, and as far as I can tell it definitely is not included in the ts2uc. Which is kind of bummer because some of the baby toddler stuff would have been cool.

eta:
    * mix and match earrings And face piercings ... how I've missed that feature
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
    edited July 2014
    * Game question .... wasn't there supposed to be a photo booth at the bowling alley that sims could use for making out?

I don't go to the bowling alley much, but a lot of the downtown venues have them, and you can add them to any venue you like. There isn't a make-out option, but there is a woo-hoo option (for young adults and up). If you woo-hoo in the photo booth, everyone comes and cheers, except Mrs. Crumplebottom, who will come smack you with her purse ;-)
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    edited July 2014
    Playing yesterday was fun and challenging, there were some details I had forgotten about, or just hadn't noticed

* Screenshots save as bmp images and only one stays available at a time, which means if you want to share images you have to convert each pic to jpg

* tattoos are part of the outfit, so if the sim changes clothes there goes the ink work :lol:

* No more angling furniture or recoloring it :( yes a few pieces can be done at angle but the space needed to move around furniture makes it awkward

* sims don't just step to the side if their both trying to walk in the same space

* Any sim with super low hygiene will take a sponge bath
    [img]http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/af/f7/fa/aff7fa12bb1c26df88aa0409c9181366.jpg "width=500"[/img]

* and holy tundra the apocalypse challenge is so much harder in s2 than s3, especially if you start with a female founder I'm about to have to restart for the 4th time already, but my 3rd sim is so much closer to completing her career that I've got my fingers crossed she makes it this time

I have an ethics question to which I believe the answer is/should be no, but felt like tossing it out anyway for discussion.

I have 11 sims package files that were all offered as free content by ea/maxis through the now gone ts2 site: Is it okay to share these files through say media fire and my personal blog? or Not?

As to the ts2 store content I never owned any of it, and as far as I can tell it definitely is not included in the ts2uc. Which is kind of bummer because some of the baby toddler stuff would have been cool.

Hi :D

*The Screenshots- you must be looking in the main Storytelling folder. Each neighborhood has it's own and that's where your pictures are being stored. :)

*There's tattooed Skins, I believe. (this always made me smile, too so I made a few outfits for my Sim with the tattoo outfit :lol: )

*the boolprop snapobjectstogrid off helps place objects closer. :)
    Maker sure to turn it back on for placing things like doors and some other objects.

* I think the Sims move better in TS2- routing wise.

* Only Sims less Neat points; like 0-3 will or something. :D

* I love the Apocalypse Challenge for TS2. It got to complicated in TS3. lol :XD:
    I'm starting a new one today.

*The photobooth is in several places downtown and there's two bowling alleys. I'm not sure which one, but I think the smaller one has it.
    You can buy it for your house/home business. :)

* The Free stuff from the EA site is being hosted on other sites so I don't see why you can't do it, too. :)
    (and the store stuff) >.>

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top