Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do most Sims players not download Custom worlds due to fact most are big size?

Most Custom worlds are in the 100MB range or 50MB and up.

I tried Los Aniegos which is large and it was so so laggy and stufff cause it's huge so my computer couldn't take it . i just gave up.

And not just that, installing a 50MB + size custom world makes my Sims game load very very very slow.

I found out that the only custom worlds that i can install and play and not have much lag or long loading times, are worlds in the range of 20MB and lower.
WHICH most custom worlds out there aren't that.

The only ones around 20MB are boring, or isolated island type worlds. But big city type custom worlds are always 70MB + or 100MB.

Basically i can't play any of those and the small worlds out there are not very attra ctive. The only one i installed is Cornocopia and i think( I haven't tried to even load it recently) it worked on my computer fine.

My comp is Mac , with 10GB ram and is a mac pro from 2009.

I'm assuming many of you too, don't have the latest and greatest computers.

Comments

• CatrillaCatrilla Posts: 1,708 Member
    edited July 2014
    welcome to my world (pun intended, just not funny)

there is a forum for world builders where you might find a city on an island...i just don't install much custom content as my computer struggles with EP/SP/Store.
  • Snakefire30Snakefire30 Posts: 473 Member
    edited July 2014
    I don't use custom worlds because they usually require EPs and SPs I don't have. Most of the worlds that I've seen require Late Night, Pets and Generations, and I don't have those EPs.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    edited July 2014
    I've got two custom worlds both under 20mb in file size that might work and they're both ideal for town legacy challenge games.The bigger one is WINFIELD and the smaller one is OAK LEAF.They're both empty wolrds and great for populating and building your own town with your sims and managing it yourself.I play in both of them and they've both been well-tested with games.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • FuzzySlipers45FuzzySlipers45 Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited July 2014
    Larger city worlds I have a bit of trouble with, but I can most larger worlds with no problems. Check out My Sim Realty, there are some smaller worlds on there that are very nice looking.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited July 2014
    I don't look at a world's file size. I look at the size of the world map. The one I'm playing in now is 75 mb and is on a "large" map. Since installing it I have not noticed an increase in how long it takes my game to load, but then I have quite a few mods and a merged CC file of hairstyles that is 700+ mb large, and another 200+ mb file of CC clothing.

The world plays fine in my game so far. I was missing 2 of the required EPs, but it installed and loaded up fine so I edited all the lots as necessary and hope for the best. So far so good.

My desktop is pretty decent. I rebuilt it in 2012 and recently upgraded the graphics card.

The main thing for me is whether I have the required EPs or not, and if I don't whether I should attempt to install it. Without having all the required EPs, some worlds haven't worked at all, others have been ok. Unfortunately with a hodgepodge of EPs I think I'm really limited in what I can use.
  • cynclacyncla Posts: 1,117 Member
    edited July 2014
    I have a decent computer with all the expansions and stuff packs and tons of store content with a dozen, or so, Sims from the exchange.
    My problem with custom worlds is that I don't find many appealing and the couple that I have tried out , a long time ago , didn't work proper.
    I would love to have some decent user made worlds but have no idea who makes decent ones.
  • wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    edited July 2014
    My problem is that most of them are on the exchange.
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • LunBeautyLunBeauty Posts: 2,734 Member
    edited July 2014
    My computer is considered a good gaming computer. I'm able to run just about any Custom World. So far, I have Evansdale County, Storybrook County, St. Claire, and Setra. The only one that really gives me some lag is Setra.

When i was playing on my laptop awhile back, I couldn't have any Custom worlds because the game couldn't handle it.

Personally, my favorite Custom World out of those that I own is Storybrook County. It's actually a really nice place for your sims to live.
  • Phancy_Unicorn22Phancy_Unicorn22 Posts: 36
    edited July 2014
    I play on a pretty bad laptop but my game easily handles most custom worlds i get (except for St Claire)
  • DanielroxheapsDanielroxheaps Posts: 33 Member
    edited July 2014
    The only custom world I have is Aluna Island
  • AmiRijoAmiRijo Posts: 677 Member
    edited July 2014
    I don't really look at the size of a world based on its MB's. I check out how many lots and if I have the required EP to play. Sometimes they don't like to load properly without eps. That being said, I like using the larger customer words that have no townies and empty lots. I enjoy deciding how my town should look and who can live there.

My computer is pretty new so I never really have had an issue running sims unless I downloaded bad cc or outdated mods.
    Origin ID: AmiRijo
    I signed http://www.sims2.net/pledge/
    ZfzDIiOeZzDJ6.gif
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    edited July 2014
    I use Winfield and Oak Leaf which I linked earlier and they both only need the base game with World Adventures.I've got Gibsons which is likely base game only and use Rflong7's Glenvale County which is also base game and can play with everything.They all work well though larger worlds can have a minor glitch where houses don't always show up when you're playing one and the other household looks like it's on an empty lot.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • AlitoniAlitoni Posts: 2,473 Member
    edited July 2014
    I have a decent enough computer so I generally don't have problems using custom made worlds. Because I get bored easily enough, I look for other worlds besides the ones EA has provided. I play in one for a while before trying out something different elsewhere.

For anyone looking for well made custom worlds that don't contain CC you can check out Sims 3 Create a World and My Sim Realty. My favorites are Evansdale County and Storybrook County. I like to have a couple worlds that aren't populated so that I can fill them up with my own custom made Sims and play out my own stories. These two are perfect for that sort of thing.
  • SundaymoonSundaymoon Posts: 1,045 Member
    edited July 2014
    I use custom worlds because I don't have to spend time editing the town to fit everything in, I can choose who lives there and there is so much choice in houses unlike in say Starlight Shores where you either pay 20k or 200k for a home.
  • MinDtriKzMinDtriKz Posts: 5,441 Member
    edited July 2014
    I don't use custom worlds because EA has released such amazing ones. I mean really, Lucky Palms. 'Nuff said.
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited July 2014
    cyncla wrote:
    I have a decent computer with all the expansions and stuff packs and tons of store content with a dozen, or so, Sims from the exchange.
    My problem with custom worlds is that I don't find many appealing and the couple that I have tried out , a long time ago , didn't work proper.
    I would love to have some decent user made worlds but have no idea who makes decent ones.

Try looking through Rflong's worlds. Particular Legacy Island II or III. I love both those worlds. They are large (I don't look at mb size, I just look at the world) but they are great worlds. Here's a link to Rflong's worlds: http://www.thesims3.com/userExchange.html?persona=Rflong7&assetType=world

To the OP: As for downloading World's, I tend to like the large world's. That way I can edit and add venue's to the world. I have a pretty good computer that runs Sims no problems so I never look at sizes (mb wise) and just look to see if the world looks nice and if it has enough room and things for my sims to do.

Aluna Island is a smaller world (though not a city, really) that James at The Sim SUpply built (and is creating lots for now) that might be small enough for you.
    Here's the link: http://thesimsupply.com/Aluna-Island.html
    p8L4V6v.png
  • ShadeDaystarShadeDaystar Posts: 995 Member
    edited July 2014
    vesvezDat wrote:
    My comp is Mac , with 10GB ram and is a mac pro from 2009.

I'm assuming many of you too, don't have the latest and greatest computers.

You've mentioned on several threads that you're having problems running the game.

Sims 3 is a game that's pretty hefty on graphics, memory, and processing. It also doesn't always play well with Macs.

The 10GB of RAM should give you some leeway with the game, but if you don't have a decent enough processor or graphics card, you may be spitting into the wind. ...Er, if you actually DID mean 10GB. Which would mean you've upgraded your comp at some point because even now, it's difficult to find a comp with that much RAM.

At any rate... I'm currently running Sims on a pc laptop I bought for around $600 when my old one became unrepairable. It's not the best, but it's good enough and it's what I could afford at the time.

If you're really having a lot of trouble running the game, you may want to continue playing Sims 2 for a while until you can upgrade your system.
  • lovelylisaclovelylisac Posts: 1,291 Member
    edited July 2014
    I love custom worlds, because they are actually big enough to fit in all the Late Night and Showtime buildings, plus my store venues. I'm lucky enough to have a Lenovo gaming laptop, so it can run big worlds just fine. Plus I have all the EP's, so I can try any player created world I like.

I've got most all the store plus a ton of CC, so everything loads really slowly anyway.
  • AaeiynAaeiyn Posts: 521 Member
    edited July 2014
    Thing is, I'm too in love with Sunset Valley to download CC worlds.
  • FuzzySlipers45FuzzySlipers45 Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited July 2014

The 10GB of RAM should give you some leeway with the game, but if you don't have a decent enough processor or graphics card, you may be spitting into the wind. ...

The problems is, the MAC version of the game can only use 2GB of RAM at any given time (as opposed to the 4GB max that Windows allows). 10GB is really not going to give you anything, since the game cannot use it.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited July 2014
    Hi :D

You're not going to be able to find a non island Custom world with a city feel and all the expansions anywhere near 20MBs.

Using a large map to fit IP dive lots, and having all the lot types- no way.

You can find empty, base game worlds and add the lots your want or have. :)

*Any just because it's not on the Exchange doesn't mean there's no CC in it. ;)
  • Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,422 Member
    edited July 2014
    Alitoni wrote:
    For anyone looking for well made custom worlds that don't contain CC you can check out Sims 3 Create a World and My Sim Realty. My favorites are Evansdale County and Storybrook County. I like to have a couple worlds that aren't populated so that I can fill them up with my own custom made Sims and play out my own stories. These two are perfect for that sort of thing.

My Sim Realty has some very nice worlds. I love Deery Meadows and SimLau Isles. :D

I have downloaded both small and large worlds. I love custom made worlds. :D The ones that have empty lots are faster to install and I can decide where everything goes. If the world is well made, there are much fewer, or no, routing issues. I'll gladly trade a slower loading time for a world where no one gets stuck. :lol:

Bellatrix is a good world if you're looking for a sci-fi vibe. RFlong's worlds are well done. http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=6942240 Edit to add: you must have Lunar Lakes for this world to work. :D

I also like the worlds of johnnywr. Mariner's Reach is fabulous. Yes it is a small island but it is packed with wonderfulness. I use NRaas Traveler mod and treat it as a vacation world. http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=3857746. His other worlds are great as well.