Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sorry EA, but this really isn't fair

Comments

• InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    edited July 2014
    Cinebar wrote:
    Zerbu wrote:
    For those of you using the honest feedback/less biased reviews excuse:

If this was about feedback, it would be a closed beta with an NDA, like the SimCity betas. As Vampyfan2 pointed out, players were expected to give feedback in game. Players weren't allowed to - let alone encourage to - exploit the beta to increase their own status and popularity. Of course many people violated the NDA, but that wasn't EA's intention.

Maybe it's not really about Feedback Zerbu, but Origin phoning home with system specs? Because a lot of people didn't see an email invitation inviting them to try the CAS and then give feedback, no, a lot of people simply loaded up their Origin and it was there to download. Ryan stated a little while ago, as the system becomes more stable they will allow more players to test. But then some of this doesn't make sense either. Just sayin' because Graham had said they had work on the CAS demo for DL for several months. It is confusing. Maybe it's about marketing?

I am puzzled as didn't a guru say that it was stable at one put it, a fun stable experience. Grant, I think it was, don't ask me for exact words. Was on a url someone had posted some where along the lines. So more people can't demo CAS til its more stable. Something is rotten in Denmark.
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • SilentGirl490SilentGirl490 Posts: 506 Member
    edited July 2014
    ***** wrote:
    lol To anyone who thought this was anything other than a marketing stunt and there is nothing sinister about it.

I really do not care either way. I am perfectly content to wait for the base game. Patience is a virtue.

I wish I was more patient but I am not, I really want to try it.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited July 2014
    chider1234 wrote:
    Vampyfan2 wrote:
    (snip)

I'm not contradicting myself at all. All companies send out betas and request feedback different ways. I stated that EA was not smart to only request feedback from their forums...SMART companies would have an in-game way of sending feedback.

You are totally right. If EA seriously wanted feedback for this demo they would have provided a form for it, whether that be in-game, or some email address that you send detailed info too. By making the only feedback place a thread on a public forum with tons of already unsatisfied fans, and plenty of trolls, they make it very clear they don't plan on actively reading that thread. This is a marketing stunt, and in game diagnostics (such as crashes, or memory failures, etc..) are most likely logged by Origin and sent back to them without the player even knowing. That's what Origin is for, it's a client that logs your play time, and any complications that go on while you play and auto sends that back to HQ for analysis.

I never thought of it that way :shock: Genius!

Marketing is designed to make you think in a different direction than the truth. If that makes any sense. So that's why we get no comments, so that we think oh they just can't talk about it now and we wait and speculate. Then if something gets out of control they have to stop marketing that way and tell the truth which can sometimes backfire. Depends on how good your PR people are, good ones will find a way to soften a blow without causing a huge meltdown.
    edited July 2014
    Cinebar wrote:
    Zerbu wrote:

If this was about feedback, it would be a closed beta with an NDA, like the SimCity betas. As Vampyfan2 pointed out, players were expected to give feedback in game. Players weren't allowed to - let alone encourage to - exploit the beta to increase their own status and popularity. Of course many people violated the NDA, but that wasn't EA's intention.

Maybe it's not really about Feedback Zerbu, but Origin phoning home with system specs? Because a lot of people didn't see an email invitation inviting them to try the CAS and then give feedback, no, a lot of people simply loaded up their Origin and it was there to download. Ryan stated a little while ago, as the system becomes more stable they will allow more players to test. But then some of this doesn't make sense either. Just sayin' because Graham had said they had work on the CAS demo for DL for several months. It is confusing. Maybe it's about marketing?

I am puzzled as didn't a guru say that it was stable at one put it, a fun stable experience. Grant, I think it was, don't ask me for exact words. Was on a url someone had posted some where along the lines. So more people can't demo CAS til its more stable. Something is rotten in Denmark.

Yes, he did say that. He said yesterday that this demo has been in the works for months, so why they are now concerned with the demos stability is what throws me off. Too many conflicting arguments for and against this game from the guru's themselves.
  • BlackRose09BlackRose09 Posts: 447 Member
    edited July 2014
    Um... I'm pretty sure it was random and not because of favorites. I got the Demo today and I'm pretty sure I'm not a favorite. I believe they are doing this to test it out? Maybe before sending it out to all? Not agreeing with EA of course... I'm not sure if I want to get this game at all... it's too expensive for me.
  • DaletheSimDaletheSim Posts: 430 New Member
    edited July 2014
    I have no idea what a Yib Sim/mer is but all I see from the OP is butt hurt. Just because you post of the forums all the times doesn't make you a big simmer than anyone else. While you were posting we were playing, big deal.

This same thing happen with Hearthstone beta. While for the most part only people who have youtube channels were getting it I got it too. People were flipping out. Over the last couple of years I've beta tested quite a bit, I don't know if that had anything to do with it, probably not, it was random.

Your idea of fairness is anything but.
  • BobboBobbo Posts: 1,471 Member
    edited July 2014
    ***** wrote:
    lol To anyone who thought this was anything other than a marketing stunt and there is nothing sinister about it.

I really do not care either way. I am perfectly content to wait for the base game. Patience is a virtue.

This is something you need to work on. Instant gratification is a disease that may keep you from a more enlightened life. I am not saying that to be rude but to be helpful. Challenge yourself to be patient. It will be worth it.
  • mwdonohuemwdonohue Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2014
    DaletheSim wrote:
    I have no idea what a Yib Sim/mer is but all I see from the OP is butt hurt. Just because you post of the forums all the times doesn't make you a big simmer than anyone else. While you were posting we were playing, big deal.

This same thing happen with Hearthstone beta. While for the most part only people who have youtube channels were getting it I got it too. People were flipping out. Over the last couple of years I've beta tested quite a bit, I don't know if that had anything to do with it, probably not, it was random.

You don't understand though. Zerbu is the epitome of optimistic. To see him this upset about something means something is really wrong.
  • ZerbuZerbu Posts: 3,457 Member
    edited July 2014
    DaletheSim wrote:

Did I say that I deserve it? Nope, I never said a word about that. In fact, I'd consider myself one of the last people to qualify for the "big Simmer" category. But at least if it was given to big Simmers, it would be fair because those Simmers worked for the reward.
  • pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    edited July 2014
    mwdonohue wrote:
    You don't understand though. Zerbu is the epitome of optimistic. To see him this upset about something means something is really wrong.

EA screws even loyal fans.
    edited July 2014
    DaletheSim wrote:

The YibSims were a select group of sims fans that were chosen by MAXIS, and then they received the first call from the team announcing the production of the game. Since then they were told that they would be a big part of the development of the game, and they would influence it, and help spread the word. The only thing that ever came of this was them travelling to GamesCom all expense paid by EA. After that EA kinda realized players weren't thrilled with favorites being chosen, because not everyone in that group was completely unbiased. So after that it was supposedly done and over, but with this shiny new demo of course all of them were granted access in the first wave. So I am a little bitter (mostly bc this is just marketing not beta testing), and because for them to all be selected on the first wave, it wasn't 100% random like everyone keeps saying.
  • SilentGirl490SilentGirl490 Posts: 506 Member
    edited July 2014
    ***** wrote:
    ***** wrote:

This is something you need to work on. Instant gratification is a disease that may keep you from a more enlightened life. I am not saying that to be rude but to be helpful. Challenge yourself to be patient. It will be worth it.

I am not like this in other areas of my life, but when I spend loads of money on games and plan on buying the sims 4 then I do have some expectations. They should have released it to everyone at the same time. Also the more I have to wait for something like this the less I actually want the game, so it doesn't really pay off for me.
  • ToblieToblie Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited July 2014
    It would have been nice if they provided a a link to the demo to be downloaded.
    But I can wait.... just a bit
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    edited July 2014

I guess it is true. All men are created equal, but some are more equal than others.

If it was meant to be random, it should have been just that. It seems a strange coincidence that several site owners were randomly chosen.
    edited July 2014
    Zerbu wrote:
    DaletheSim wrote:

Did I say that I deserve it? Nope, I never said a word about that. In fact, I'd consider myself one of the last people to qualify for the "big Simmer" category. But at least if it was given to big Simmers, it would be fair because those Simmers worked for the reward.

You are asking a major corporation to judge the fitness of certain players to demo a portion of a product. With the MMO debacle and the limited production window can't we just assume they have better things to do right now?

The access to this demo is so unimportant it makes me cringe to be in this thread at all. Real unfairness is happening in the world and we are discussing a demo? :roll: Priorities? Anyone?
  • wmissie0925wmissie0925 Posts: 310 Member
    edited July 2014
    Don't suppose it will help, but I read that Carl already has a CAS walkthrough on his page. http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/thesims4/

Sorry, you didn't get it Zerbu. Hopefully, you and many others will get it next.
    edited July 2014
    I am not like this in other areas of my life, but when I spend loads of money on games and plan on buying the sims 4 then I do have some expectations. They should have released it to everyone at the same time. Also the more I have to wait for something like this the less I actually want the game, so it doesn't really pay off for me.

I am glad that this is not a normal vice for you. :D

My impatience only surfaces for really important things like the well being of people I care about. The trivial things... well... are trivial.
  • moo11xmoo11x Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited July 2014
    I agree with you! Tbh I would've thought you'd be one if the people to get it! :shock:
    I don't mind me not getting it, I feel bad for the people who are pro CAS creators too and were itching to test it out and create :cry: I just saw someone post something about SimGuru Grant stating that they will be realising to more people so I hope it goes to the contributors too~ :thumbup:
  • pandabearroxpandabearrox Posts: 2,295 Member
    edited July 2014
    ***** wrote:
    Zerbu wrote:
    DaletheSim wrote:

You are asking a major corporation to judge the fitness of certain players to demo a portion of a product. With the MMO debacle and the limited production window can't we just assume they have better things to do right now?

The access to this demo is so unimportant it makes me cringe to be in this thread at all. Real unfairness is happening in the world and we are discussing a demo? :roll: Priorities? Anyone?

Then go do something about the unfairness in the world instead of sitting here...
  • SprinklesBonBonSprinklesBonBon Posts: 2,727 Member
    edited July 2014
    just yesterday from tweet's of the guru's the way they announced it could of sworn it sounded like everyone was going to have the chance to try it out :lol: shucks! didn't happen...though I am happy with seeing the different screen shot's of those who did get to try it out & play around...here's to hoping other's can try it soon
    Still waiting for Toddlers...
    edited July 2014
    Then go do something about the unfairness in the world instead of sitting here...

I already do. I donate my time and money to various causes. I have sat on charity boards and helped develop new ones.

I encourage you to do the same.
  • Pandagirl9449Pandagirl9449 Posts: 911 Member
    edited July 2014
    Some of y'all are so salty. Learn some **** patience and chill out. It will be available to everyone eventually. Smdh
  • BlackRose09BlackRose09 Posts: 447 Member
    edited July 2014
    I personally think of it as like the LPer of Youtube, like TheRadBrad, SSoHP, etc. I seen this a thousand times, and I understand why. These guys get the games early, like 2 weeks earlier than others. Reason? Is so they can advertise the product and convince others to play it. It's not a secret thing, it's already been done. I'm sure EA did the same thing, gave the big names the demo so they can advertise. It's something it always been done. And all the while, they also chosen some other players to play it as well, to try it out. It's not a secret agenda at all, it's just plain old advertising.

I do agree that it's kinda sucky that they don't let anyone else play, but it does make sense to do some testing. When Final Fantasy XIV was at Alpha and Beta, they did the same thing, to check if everything was okay before launch. While stuff did happen around the first few months, the testing did help out a bit.

Besides isn't this what we always complained about in other Sim games? That they don't spend time testing the game before putting it out? If they are doing this for that, well I'm glad that EA finally did something right, at least for a demo.

I just hope the real product gets tested as well, completely... thoroughly...

• niac1234niac1234 Posts: 6,735 Member
    edited July 2014
    I suspect it's because they want to tune the servers for a large amount of people before they release the demo for a massive amount of people. That's why they haven't said anything about when they are going to release it to everyone. It depends on how things go with the small amount of people. This is pure speculation, but I think it makes sense.
  • AmberLeigh6AmberLeigh6 Posts: 37
    edited July 2014
    Cinebar wrote:
    Zerbu wrote:

Spot on Cinebar! 100% just marketing, they do not need players to test a demo. Frankly they don't even need players to test their servers, because they have ways of doing that in house. The testing is just a marketing scheme to disguise the fact that they are trying to drum up hype. Which isn't working, and it drumming up a lot of jealousy and contempt toward their marketing as a whole. They tweeted about it becoming more stable, but almost everyone who has played has said that it's really stable with very few bugs.

What disgusts me the most was that they announced this in a blog post apologizing for the exclusion of features from the game. So they used this as kind of a "im sorry, but here's this as a token" but in reality it's "i'm sorry, but only some of you can have this token of my apology and the rest...... well you can't have it now but you will at some point..". Disrespectful marketing that makes me feel no sympathy for the team. Had this not been about marketing it would have shipped to everyone with a disclaimer saying it's non-final software and could have issues linked to that. Unfortunately they expect us to believe we are testing a demo, of a feature that is more than likely already in a newer build than what we are playing. Seems like a complete waste of resources.

You are incorrect. They have no idea how their servers will respond to a large number of people downloading a product until it happens. There is no "in house" way to check that. So many games do things like this to test their servers and to test their products. They release things slowly because it is easier to pin point the problems and you don't anger as many people while they wait for fixes. This is actually the one thing EA is doing right, testing is NEVER a bad thing especially when they have released so many bug ridden games in the past! Demo or not testing is good. If it was released to everyone and for some unseen reason the servers bugged or something happened with the game everyone would cry and wonder why they didn't test it more before they released it to everyone.

A lot of times when you beta test things the developers are in newer builds already. What you are testing is still there, but other things change. The developers don't just stop working while people test the game. They are always testing and tweaking the game. Video game development isn't the easiest job. It is always evolving and changing as you go.