Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Can An "Incredible Foundation For Years To Come" Be 32 Bits?

Comments

• yoshi_dragur2012yoshi_dragur2012 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited June 2014
    pguida wrote:
    Seriously? Graham Nardone say they are building this incredible foundation for year to come?

How? 32 bits has been outdate for years!

You pratically can't even buy a 23 bits PC or laptop anymore! They are virtually not even sold anymore.

Even the cheapest, louziest machines are 64 bits now.

Just HOW?
    Oh ye of little simmer faith....

You must BELIEVE you infidel :evil:

And by faith alone, what your heart desires will come true :D

edit: then again, perhaps the devs haven't realized it's 2014 and M$ no longer supports WinXP anymore.......
  • Linnyxx17Linnyxx17 Posts: 2,016 Member
    edited June 2014
    pguida wrote:
    Sincerbox wrote:
    The Sims 3 is a coded in 32-bits and runs fine on 64-bit OS's.

So all this threads compalining about lags are mirages?]

I have 16 GB RAm. TS3 can oly adress 2.5. 32 bits games can only adress 3.5 and that includes video cards. Ime is 1 GB. I have 13.5 GB of RAm the game just ignores.

I have 4 cores. Some people have 8. No PC in the last 7 years has less than 2. TS3 only uses one core.

Dos any of that sound fine?

Especially for a game supoposed to run up to 2019 and that will have a dozen EPs and hundres of DLCs? Not to meantion those who use CC?

My game lagged but that was due to all the sims in town gathering around behind the diner in Sunset Valley. even after i would reset every single one of them it worked fine but than an hour into my gameplay. started to lag again. and AGAIN they were all gathered somewhere in town. all the sims.
    tumblr_mamn3vZ7sj1rgw3q8o1_500.gif

* <3 Just Keep Simming, Just Keep Simming, Just Keep Simming Simming Simming, What do you do? YOU SIM SIM SIM!! <3*
  • SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    edited June 2014
    pguida wrote:
    Sk8rblaze wrote:
    Can anyone on these forums tell me EXACTLY how The Sims 4 could have benefitted from 64-bit? I would think the lead engineer would know more than us.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/ndumm2

As far as I know, this is a petty thing to get frustrated over.

Hahahaha!

Using more than one core? (I have four. Some people have eight. No computer in the last 7 years has just one.)

Using more than 2.5 GB of RAM (I have 16 GB. 32 bits only adress 3.5 GB, but that also includes your video card. Mine is 1 GB).

The number of cores used has nothing to do with 32-bit games. You do know the difference between the processor and RAM? That is a function of the OS and has nothing do with whether the game is coded in 32-bit or 64-bit.

32-bits addresses 4GB of memory. The 3.5GB limitation was a limitation of the 32-bit OS's because the OS has to share memory space with the application. On 64-bit processors running 64-bit OS's like Windows 7 64-bit and above 32 bit applications can access the full 4 GB of addressable space provided there is enough RAM as it will not need to share memory with the OS. The more RAM you have on your 64-bit PC the more background tasks you will be able to run without taking a hit on page faulting.

I can run The Sims 3 with all expansions and a couple of internet browser windows just fine on my 24GB rig.

Origin ID: Barbara917
  • pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    edited June 2014
    Sincerbox wrote:
    32-bits addresses 4GB of memory.

So I just waste 12GB? It sucks. And answers your question.
    Sincerbox wrote:
    I can run The Sims 3 with all expansions and a couple of internet browser windows just fine on my 24GB rig.

I must have imagined complaints TS3 was laggy or buggy.
  • SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    edited June 2014
    pguida wrote:
    Sincerbox wrote:

No that 12GB is not wasted. Your game is not the only thing running on your PC using memory. The OS uses memory and any background tasks you might be running. If you have too much going at once that's when you get lag. Or if the game is poorly coded which is the case for The Sims 3. Not that it is coded in 32-bit. It's just poorly coded. Take a look at the problems caused by the Tree of Prosperity alone on Crinrct's blog. That's just one instance of crappy code and has nothing to do with 32-bit.

/edited: to correct Tree of Life to Tree of Properity
    Origin ID: Barbara917
  • GrapefruitdreamsGrapefruitdreams Posts: 59 Member
    edited June 2014
    pguida wrote:
    32-bit is fine. The game seems like it really won't be all that computer intensive anyway. Anything to get rid of the lag. (I have a gaming computer and The Sims 3 even runs terribly)

64 bits would not only get rid og any lag, but also not need low graphics and loading screens.
    Yes, 64-bit would be great, especially if we had an open world without loading screens. We have loading screens though, and as such, in this situation 32-bit will probably work fine. There's nothing we can do about that, and it's impossible to change, so I accept it. If The Sims 4 is bad then we can just refuse to buy expansions. That'd hurt them almost as much.
  • DeuceyBabyDeuceyBaby Posts: 289 Member
    edited June 2014
    I don't think you need that fat of a memory bank to make a great game.

especially since they closed the world which cuts down on a ton of cpu drain
    I've got a double plumicide on 1st and Main. Witnessnes said the sus screamed you mother plumber (at the plumber and her son) and hit both vics with a round of ripe purple plums (plucked from the bountiful barrels of a 9mm shotplum).
    edited June 2014
    i also love that this is the one thing you picked to get angry at. lol

youre probably the only one.

and actually, i run a 32 bit windows 7 machine.
    it's a dual core 3.8 and no slouch though.
    so i have money and a capable machine.
    i deserve to play too.

its how capitalism works.
    I've got a double plumicide on 1st and Main. Witnessnes said the sus screamed you mother plumber (at the plumber and her son) and hit both vics with a round of ripe purple plums (plucked from the bountiful barrels of a 9mm shotplum).
    edited June 2014
    Sincerbox wrote:
    pguida wrote:
    Sincerbox wrote:

No that 12GB is not wasted. Your game is not the only thing running on your PC using memory. The OS uses memory and any background tasks you might be running.

Not 12 GB, by a mile.
    edited June 2014
    DeuceyBaby wrote:

You don't?TS3 lags. TS4 cut half of its features for, they say, performance.
    edited June 2014
    pguida wrote:
    DeuceyBaby wrote:

You don't?TS3 lags. TS4 cut half of its features for, they say, performance.

it didnt lag for me ever. also, did the lagging you experience keep you from enjoying?

a great game can lag. people complain about lag on call of duty, but continue to play.

also, part of the reason it lagged for slower machines was the open world simulation.

so by partially closing it, there is a lot more cpu power thats been left open.

open for more in depth simulation via expansion packs?

i dont understand how you guys have such powerful machines, yet the game lags for you.

if you put that much custom content in it of course it's going to lag.
    edited June 2014
    DeuceyBaby wrote:
    also, part of the reason it lagged for slower machines was the open world simulation.

Why would you lie so much? TS3 base game has open world and no lags?

Lags only started because of poor routing and bad coding all around.

I had never owned a slower machine.

I'm not that poor I have to keep a desktop for 7 years.

It's just I'm on my second 64 bits, multicore machine and EA can't keep up.

32 bit machines haven't been sold in years. It's ridiculous TS4 intends to last five years, a dozen of EPs and hundreds od DLC on that.

32 bits in 2019? Might as well be a Pentium.
  • dash3001dash3001 Posts: 639 Member
    edited June 2014
    pguida wrote:
    DeuceyBaby wrote:

Why would you lie so much? TS3 base game has open world and no lags?

Lags only started because of poor routing and bad coding all around.

I had never owned a slower machine.

I'm not that poor I have to keep a desktop for 7 years.

It's just I'm on my second 64 bits, multicore machine and EA can't keep up.

32 bit machines haven't been sold in years. It's ridiculous TS4 intends to last five years, a dozen of EPs and hundreds od DLC on that.

32 bits in 2019? Might as well be a Pentium.

I'm convinced that either you are very stubborn or have some sort of learning disability. Did you not pay attention to the explanation on 32-bit exe vs. 64-bit exe you were given earlier? Why is this still a discussion point? Your argument is invalid. You are a fool with money. You probably (if you are actually being truthful) in possession of a decent system you paid decent money for, but who failed to understand what he was buying. Especially since you were spouting ridiculous assertions on cores. Well, we won't have to listen to this much longer. You obviously won't be buying the game, thus won't be heading over to the Sims 4 forums, you attention-seeker. And that's not an insult. I used to get so angry over Sims 4. Know what I did to scratch that itch? Got a job, met some real people, lived life. Not a simulation of it.
    edited June 2014
    dash3001 wrote:
    I'm convinced that either you are very stubborn or have some sort of learning disability. Did you not pay attention to the explanation on 32-bit exe vs. 64-bit exe you were given earlier?

You mean, the false, undeducated and untrue explanations?

I'm not a fool with money. I have made it clear I'm not buying The Sims 4 as is right now. Those are the fools with money.

And way to go using disabled people as insults.]

I hope your baby is disabled so you can enlight yourself on the issue and no longer make such ill-informed hurtful comments.
  • Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    edited June 2014
    pguida wrote:
    Sincerbox wrote:
    So this thread really isn't about the game being coded as a 32-bit game. Your talking about stuff you don't understand. Do me a favor. Give me a list of PC games that are coded in 64-bit.

Why? I'm not buying those.

Give a list of all games that are sandbox, suport dozens of EPs ans SPs, hundreds of DCL, custom content and that players play for several years instead of just completing it.

Don't compare apples and oranges.

good call apples and oranges are far more similar than they are different
  • deibreakdeibreak Posts: 386 Member
    edited June 2014
    Sincerbox you made a lot of great points. Pguida you do realize that not everyone had problems with their games right? You said your self that lag was due to routing and what not. The game being coded in 32 bit exe is a non issue. Everyone knows the game engine in TS3 was atrocious, being 32 bit played no part in that.
    edited June 2014
    deibreak wrote:
    Sincerbox you made a lot of great points. Pguida you do realize that not everyone had problems with their games right? You said your self that lag was due to routing and what not. The game being coded in 32 bit exe is a non issue. Everyone knows the game engine in TS3 was atrocious, being 32 bit played no part in that.

Well, being 64 bits we could have:

Much less loading screens.

A much larger world.

Even more sims per lot.

Better hair.

Even smarter AI.

Working cars and trams.
  • COOLGAME8013COOLGAME8013 Posts: 3,090 Member
    edited June 2014
    pguida wrote:
    deibreak wrote:

Well, being 64 bits we could have:

Much less loading screens.

A much larger world.

Even more sims per lot.

Better hair.

Even smarter AI.

Working cars and trams.

Being 64 bit does not guarantee these things, things like this are all dependent on the developer. Using a 64 bit architecture does not make this happen.
    edited June 2014
    Being 64 bit does not guarantee these things, things like this are all dependent on the developer. Using a 64 bit architecture does not make this happen.

It makes it possible, tough.
  • COOLGAME8013COOLGAME8013 Posts: 3,090 Member
    edited June 2014
    pguida wrote:

It makes it possible, tough.

Its possible already by means of programming and not by being 64 bit, the extra ram usage does not mean anything other than being able to run more processes efficiently.
  • SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    edited June 2014
    pguida wrote:
    mattific17 wrote:
    pguida wrote:
    mattific17 wrote:
    It's sad.

The "go on, EA, cut all features! Charge extra for them later. Rush the game and don't test it! Make it Buggy! I don't care, I love it" is what is really sad.

Sounds like you are just being paranoid, so full with your own negativity that you can't even see good stuffs they have added in the game.

It's sad.

By all means, please! List all features that make up for a game that has bad hair, no CASt, no open world, loading screens between every single lot, it's reportedly slow and unstable, has no toddles, has no real teens (they just tweaked aduls not to have to animate teens), has a tiny, tiny world where you can see five lots at a time and all lots combined are under 25, has no terrain tools, no pools, is built on an ancient 32 bit, single core frame, it's too unstable to be demoed, it's confirmedly whatever was salvaged from a failed online game with only a third of the usual TS game development time, it's being handled for the twice elected worst company in America.

Please... Outside CAS, list such wonder that dwarfs all of that!

Also, how am I paranoid when ALL of my darkest theories and worst fears have already been confirmed?

I find this interesting. You are slamming the game but at the same time also saying you are actually going to buy the game. Hmmm, how does this work?

Edit: Oh, hang on a sec, I just read now that you're NOT going to buy it. Gawd, make up your mind! I can't keep up!
  • pc452000pc452000 Posts: 347 Member
    edited June 2014
    pguida wrote:
    Seriously? Graham Nardone say they are building this incredible foundation for year to come?

You pratically can't even buy a 23 bits PC or laptop anymore! They are virtually not even sold anymore.

Just HOW?

So wait a minute, TS4 is 32-bit?? ***??? 64 bit allows 4+ GB's of ram to be used for the game.. Not having 64-bit is DUMB.
    Huge Sim Fanatic
    edited June 2014
    pc452000 wrote:
    pguida wrote:

Just HOW?

So wait a minute, TS4 is 32-bit?? ***??? 64 bit allows 4+ GB's of ram to be used for the game.. Not having 64-bit is DUMB.

It's been confirmed it is.
  • CurlykatzCurlykatz Posts: 338 Member
    edited June 2014
    This makes me sad :( I thought 64 bit was pretty much a given.
  • pc452000pc452000 Posts: 347 Member
    edited June 2014
    pguida wrote:
    pc452000 wrote:
    pguida wrote:

Just HOW?

It's been confirmed it is.

Until the Origin Store Actually has system requirements POSTED, nothing is confirmed. I have to ask is there a URL for an article which has an EA/MAXIS employee state 32-bits?

I just found a tweet by Graham Nardone
    http://www.twitlonger.com/show/ndumm2 Sadly I have to believe him, there will not be 64-bit support, then why OH why did I get 8 GB's of ram for my PC if dev's won't support it???
    Huge Sim Fanatic