Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Can An "Incredible Foundation For Years To Come" Be 32 Bits?

Comments

• carlymichellecarlymichelle Posts: 3,402 Member
    edited June 2014
    i have windows 64 bit and will never go back to 32 bit you have to move with technology
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    edited June 2014
    Sincerbox wrote:
    pguida wrote:
    Seriously? Graham Nardone say they are building this incredible foundation for year to come?

How? 32 bits has been outdate for years!

You pratically can't even buy a 23 bits PC or laptop anymore! They are virtually not even sold anymore.

Even the cheapest, louziest machines are 64 bits now.

Just HOW?

I think there is something you don't understand. Do a little googling on 64-bit PC games. You won't find many. The gaming industry is still programming to 32-bits.

Finally we have a voice of reason! Simmers need to stop freaking out about everything. It is getting so old. Sims 4 looks awesome!!!
  • AlnairanAlnairan Posts: 2,424 Member
    edited June 2014
    Linnyxx17 wrote:
    pguida wrote:
    mattific17 wrote:
    I love how they are focussing on the gameplay, not graphic. Not everyone can spend as much as you do, bro.

Any cheap, louzy PC or laptop in the last few years is 64 bits.

Yes true. but really theres nothing WE as gamers can do about that. if the gaming industry doesn't release games that are 64bit. like many are saying. there really isn't many out there. So it is not just the Sims 4. Graham even said he was asking the programmer as to WHY they weren't doing 64bit

They just started. Like, two or three years ago, tops.
    That's why there are not many games out there YET (that, and a lot of games being released are too simple and small, unlike The Sims, so they don't need it anyway).
    But you know what happens when the industry starts to move forward, right? That's right; you either start moving forward too, or you get behind (or, nowadays, you end up making games for smartphones).
    Linnyxx17 wrote:

Oh believe me i know. i would love if the Sims were in 64bit. but some companies are just being lazy or just taking their sweet time into switching from it.

I mean Hell even The Elder Scrolls Online is 32bit, which is why i believe it's not doing as good as it should of. and i'm sadden by that :( (i just canceled my subscription)

ESO has a good excuse: It is a MMO. We can't really demand the same stuff that we can get in a single player game, unfortunately, because there will always be a massive number of players online at the same time. Massive zergs fighting in Cyrodiil means thousands of different machines (and internet connections) being stressed at the same time. That can cause spikes that can get characters killed, your alliance will lose keeps and your Emperor will fall. For a MMO, the lower the recommended specs, the less angry your players will be, since you depend on other people, too.

And too bad that you cancelled your sub, I'm having a lot of fun.
    6724061.png
    Origin ID: Gabby-Abeille
  • Linnyxx17Linnyxx17 Posts: 2,016 Member
    edited June 2014
    pguida wrote:
    Linnyxx17 wrote:
    pguida wrote:
    mattific17 wrote:
    I love how they are focussing on the gameplay, not graphic. Not everyone can spend as much as you do, bro.

Any cheap, louzy PC or laptop in the last few years is 64 bits.

Yes true. but really theres nothing WE as gamers can do about that. if the gaming industry doesn't release games that are 64bit. like many are saying. there really isn't many out there. So it is not just the Sims 4. Graham even said he was asking the programmer as to WHY they weren't doing 64bit

Why defend a bad choice? Because others do it?

Many do drugs. It doesn't make it a good choice, does it?

lol depends on which drug :lol: :shock: .

No really trying to defend it. just trying to show that it is not just EA.

Zenimax did it for my beloved Elder Scrolls Online. and i just cancled my subscription for it.

yeah i'm getting the Sims 4. but i agree with you on this. Myself knowing what the difference between 32bit and 64bit and knowing my pc can handle 64bit i wanna push my computer to the limits
    tumblr_mamn3vZ7sj1rgw3q8o1_500.gif

* <3 Just Keep Simming, Just Keep Simming, Just Keep Simming Simming Simming, What do you do? YOU SIM SIM SIM!! <3*
  • mattific17mattific17 Posts: 137 Member
    edited June 2014
    pguida wrote:
    mattific17 wrote:
    It's sad.

The "go on, EA, cut all features! Charge extra for them later. Rush the game and don't test it! Make it Buggy! I don't care, I love it" is what is really sad.

Sounds like you are just being paranoid, so full with your own negativity that you can't even see good stuffs they have added in the game.

It's sad.
  • nyancat23nyancat23 Posts: 60 New Member
    edited June 2014
    benz0s wrote:
    Because older computers? :lol:
    That's another selling point for the Sims 4 to me. I have a 2007 Toshiba studio laptop. Its not the most high end thing out there. It ran the Sims 3 but only after I turned down the graphics. The fact that I won't need the latest computer to run this game made me very happy. I have no iintentions of getting a new laptop anytime soon.
  • pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    edited June 2014
    mattific17 wrote:
    pguida wrote:
    mattific17 wrote:
    It's sad.

The "go on, EA, cut all features! Charge extra for them later. Rush the game and don't test it! Make it Buggy! I don't care, I love it" is what is really sad.

Sounds like you are just being paranoid, so full with your own negativity that you can't even see good stuffs they have added in the game.

It's sad.

By all means, please! List all features that make up for a game that has bad hair, no CASt, no open world, loading screens between every single lot, it's reportedly slow and unstable, has no toddles, has no real teens (they just tweaked aduls not to have to animate teens), has a tiny, tiny world where you can see five lots at a time and all lots combined are under 25, has no terrain tools, no pools, is built on an ancient 32 bit, single core frame, it's too unstable to be demoed, it's confirmedly whatever was salvaged from a failed online game with only a third of the usual TS game development time, it's being handled for the twice elected worst company in America.

Please... Outside CAS, list such wonder that dwarfs all of that!

Also, how am I paranoid when ALL of my darkest theories and worst fears have already been confirmed?
  • sohfoxsohfox Posts: 255 Member
    edited June 2014
    Linnyxx17 wrote:
    Alnairan wrote:
    Linnyxx17 wrote:
    Sincerbox wrote:
    pguida wrote:
    Seriously? Graham Nardone say they are building this incredible foundation for year to come?

You pratically can't even buy a 23 bits PC or laptop anymore! They are virtually not even sold anymore.

Just HOW?

I think there is something you don't understand. Do a little googling on 64-bit PC games. You won't find many. The gaming industry is still programming to 32-bits.

sad but true. believe the only game i have that is 64bit is minecraft

That's because not many games actually require so much memory because of their own nature or because of when they were developed. The Sims, because of the kind of game that it is, being an AAA title and being released this year, could AND SHOULD make full use of such technology.

Think of all the worlds, all the multi-generation families, all the gigantic save files. Now think of how much better The Sims could be if it was 64bit instead of 32bit. It could have no loading screens and still have a lot of sims everywhere, for example. Think of how outdated this game will be on the next couple of years.

The companies are starting to release 64 bit games (they are starting to show up more frequently, especially if they are AAA titles), and there is no good reason for EA not to follow. I mean, besides being EA.

Oh believe me i know. i would love if the Sims were in 64bit. but some companies are just being lazy or just taking their sweet time into switching from it.

I mean Hell even The Elder Scrolls Online is 32bit, which is why i believe it's not doing as good as it should of. and i'm sadden by that :( (i just canceled my subscription)
    interesting, I recently cancelled me ESO too :( I loved the game but.. Its just not worth a subscription
    my art http://anenfairy.deviantart.com
    My favorite sims: TS3
  • SincerboxSincerbox Posts: 2,279 Member
    edited June 2014
    pguida wrote:
    By all means, please! List all features that make up for a game that has bad hair, no CASt, no open world, loading screens between every single lot, it's reportedly slow and unstable, has no toddles, has no real teens (they just tweaked aduls not to have to animate teens), has a tiny, tiny world where you can see five lots at a time and all lots combined are under 25, has no terrain tools, no pools, is built on an ancient 32 bit, single core frame, it's too unstable to be demoed, it's confirmedly whatever was salvaged from a failed online game with only a third of the usual TS game development time, it's being handled for the twice elected worst company in America.

Also, how am I paranoid when ALL of my darkest theories and worst fears have already been confirmed?

So this thread really isn't about the game being coded as a 32-bit game. Your talking about stuff you don't understand. Do me a favor. Give me a list of PC games that are coded in 64-bit.
    Origin ID: Barbara917
    edited June 2014
    pguida wrote:
    mattific17 wrote:
    pguida wrote:
    mattific17 wrote:
    It's sad.

It's sad.

first off, A lot of what he has said has been valid and confirmed... secondly hes complaining on everyones behalf so that we can get what we should have in the base game.
    More so, a laptop I got my grandmother at 225 dollars is 64 bit and plays Counter-strike global offensive on low... I don't get how its expensive to have a 64 bit computer, that argument is 2008 applicable.

64 bit would have only been a POSITIVE for sims 4, in no way shape or form is it a negative, if they have a 32 bit executable launcher as well. 64 bit would have meant for us more cores, more ram for cacheing custom content and so on too, Increased loading speeds, Better performance.

I remain positive, I have not canceled my pre-order, I expect that we will get what should be here now later in free patches. I don't want to think negatively on this at all So I just take it for what it is, the game will eventually get somewhere, but if it doesn't I still have the sims 3, which Is right now my favorite of them all.

sorry if my post comes across as hostile.
    edited June 2014
    Linnyxx17 wrote:
    sohfox wrote:

interesting, I recently cancelled me ESO too :( I loved the game but.. Its just not worth a subscription

Huh. I guess I just like TES too much. I find ESO's story simply fantastic, the world is beautiful, elven supremacy is the only truth, I get emotionally attached to the characters, I love the crafting and the PvP is awesome (to me). I still play Skyrim, and sometimes a bit of Oblivion, though.

Anyway, all the problems ESO had with bots, gold sellers and bugs were not because it was 32bit. It is a MMO, it can't demand as much of your computer as a single player game can or the massive PVP battles will be a lagfest.

The Sims 4, on the other hand, would be a better game if it was a 64bit game for the simple reason that we would be able to have both open worlds and lively cities.
    6724061.png
  • loyallyroyalloyallyroyal Posts: 353 Member
    edited June 2014
    Here is hefty a list of 64 bit pc games, notice the post is dated 2006:
    http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/62347/
  • joop123joop123 Posts: 1,616 Member
    edited June 2014
    Ive got a 64 bit 2007 core 2 duo machine with 6gb ram running Win8.1 x64

Im glad the sims 4 is 32 bit cause i want at 2gb for the os. and have no money atm to upgrade to 8gb
    โ€ขNew Zealand
    โ€ขCollectors Edition + Headset
    Story behind my username: it's a unisex spray, when i made my account i couldn't think of anything so i chose that :P

Sims%2Bseries%2B%28512x146%29.jpgSims4SpinningBlumbot.gif

edited June 2014
    Sincerbox wrote:
    So this thread really isn't about the game being coded as a 32-bit game. Your talking about stuff you don't understand. Do me a favor. Give me a list of PC games that are coded in 64-bit.

Why? I'm not buying those.

Give a list of all games that are sandbox, suport dozens of EPs ans SPs, hundreds of DCL, custom content and that players play for several years instead of just completing it.

Don't compare apples and oranges.
    edited June 2014
    Alnairan wrote:
    Linnyxx17 wrote:
    sohfox wrote:

Huh. I guess I just like TES too much. I find ESO's story simply fantastic, the world is beautiful, elven supremacy is the only truth, I get emotionally attached to the characters, I love the crafting and the PvP is awesome (to me). I still play Skyrim, and sometimes a bit of Oblivion, though.

Anyway, all the problems ESO had with bots, gold sellers and bugs were not because it was 32bit. It is a MMO, it can't demand as much of your computer as a single player game can or the massive PVP battles will be a lagfest.

The Sims 4, on the other hand, would be a better game if it was a 64bit game for the simple reason that we would be able to have both open worlds and lively cities.

I loved ESO very much too, I'd like to come back to the game*. not sure I understand what you mean about the 32 bit, I never claimed to quit because of 32 bit but I know ESO won't be as intensive as the sims 4 with a lot of expansions and CC. I quit ESO because none of my friends wanted to stay, The teleporting bots were kind of out of hand anywhere you went, it just got a little tiresome, But I will be coming back within 1-2 months I think
    edited June 2014
    sohfox wrote:
    Alnairan wrote:
    Linnyxx17 wrote:
    sohfox wrote:

I loved ESO very much too, I'd like to come back to the game*. not sure I understand what you mean about the 32 bit, I never claimed to quit because of 32 bit but I know ESO won't be as intensive as the sims 4 with a lot of expansions and CC. I quit ESO because none of my friends wanted to stay, The teleporting bots were kind of out of hand anywhere you went, it just got a little tiresome, But I will be coming back within 1-2 months I think

I am sorry, I just assumed you left because it was 32 bit since this thread is talking about 64 x 32 bit xD
    I hope to see you in Cyrodiil, preferably under the Eagle Banner ;)
    6724061.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2014
    mattific17 wrote:
    Sincerbox wrote:
    pguida wrote:

Just HOW?

Yea, people just want to keep blaming on the devs. It's sad.

Who created the engine? The engineers and the devs. I have used a 64bit machine since 2005, this is the second desktop since then. And a low end 64bit laptop (maybe semi medium laptop) a few years ago. EA designed (the devs) this game for a an always online/MMO. Now you see why the specs are so low. You can't walk in an a computer store in the last two years and buy a 32bit machine, even a cheap laptop. The game will not use DirectX 11, hello, or more than one core...no point in having more cores in your machine (well maybe for your OS) so it eats at the one core, and can only use up to 2.5 gbs of RAM. Because your OS is going to need at least 1gb of RAM for it. So, even if you have more than 4gbs of RAM this game can't use it. If it is single thread as someone pointed out to me, then watch out, later, because as EPs get added loading screens start to hog that 2.5 gbs of RAM and the CPU may increase because it's on one core, and there goes those fast loading screens they promised.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited June 2014
    Here is hefty a list of 64 bit pc games, notice the post is dated 2006:
    http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/62347/

Um. That's a list of PC games that have support for running on a 64-bit OS. The Sims 3 runs fine on a 64-bit OS and so will The Sims 4. Think. 2006. How many people had 64-bit OS's in 2006? Not very many.

No one here seems to comprehend what it means for a game to be coded in 64-bits versus 32-bits.

Take a look at this newer 2011 thread on the Steam forum. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1742832

Look at the second post.
    I don't think thats a list of games coded in 64Bit..

It looks like a list of games (32bit)that have been tested on a 64Bit OS and are working...

I'm Shore half those games witch I have are all 32Bit, all work in win7 64 to btw..

Think about it. Every single Steam game is a 32-bit game running on 64-bit OS's. Steam itself is coded in 32-bits and so is Origin.
    edited June 2014
    Not everything is lost, though.
    Skyrim runs on a 32 bit .exe, but it makes use of increased memory on PC (it is 32 bit because consoles held it back, or it would be 64 bits. Well, probably).
    6724061.png
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited June 2014
    Can anyone on these forums tell me EXACTLY how The Sims 4 could have benefitted from 64-bit? I would think the lead engineer would know more than us.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/ndumm2

As far as I know, this is a petty thing to get frustrated over.
    edited June 2014
    pguida wrote:
    Sincerbox wrote:

Why? I'm not buying those.

Give a list of all games that are sandbox, suport dozens of EPs ans SPs, hundreds of DCL, custom content and that players play for several years instead of just completing it.

Don't compare apples and oranges.

The Sims 3 is a coded in 32-bits and runs fine on 64-bit OS's. So are most PC games these days. The Sims 4 will also run fine on 64-bit OS's. You say the 32-bit architecture is outdated. Well then so is almost every computer game in the PC gaming industry. I am not comparing apples and oranges. Please explain to me what you are talking about when you say:
    How Can An "Incredible Foundation For Years To Come" Be 32 Bits?

All I have asked you to do is point out what games in the industry today are 64-bit games which makes 32-bits outdated. What is your thread about and what are you talking about when you say 32-bit. 32-bit what?
  • GrapefruitdreamsGrapefruitdreams Posts: 59 Member
    edited June 2014
    32-bit is fine. The game seems like it really won't be all that computer intensive anyway. Anything to get rid of the lag. (I have a gaming computer and The Sims 3 even runs terribly)
    edited June 2014
    Sk8rblaze wrote:
    Can anyone on these forums tell me EXACTLY how The Sims 4 could have benefitted from 64-bit? I would think the lead engineer would know more than us.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/ndumm2

As far as I know, this is a petty thing to get frustrated over.

Hahahaha!

Using more than one core? (I have four. Some people have eight. No computer in the last 7 years has just one.)

Using more than 2.5 GB of RAM (I have 16 GB. 32 bits only adress 3.5 GB, but that also includes your video card. Mine is 1 GB).
    edited June 2014
    Sincerbox wrote:
    The Sims 3 is a coded in 32-bits and runs fine on 64-bit OS's.

So all this threads compalining about lags are mirages?]

I have 16 GB RAm. TS3 can oly adress 2.5. 32 bits games can only adress 3.5 and that includes video cards. Ime is 1 GB. I have 13.5 GB of RAm the game just ignores.

I have 4 cores. Some people have 8. No PC in the last 7 years has less than 2. TS3 only uses one core.

Dos any of that sound fine?

Especially for a game supoposed to run up to 2019 and that will have a dozen EPs and hundres of DLCs? Not to meantion those who use CC?

edited June 2014
    32-bit is fine. The game seems like it really won't be all that computer intensive anyway. Anything to get rid of the lag. (I have a gaming computer and The Sims 3 even runs terribly)

64 bits would not only get rid og any lag, but also not need low graphics and loading screens.