The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Oh the Irony!

2...Next

Comments

• simsfan95173simsfan95173 Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited June 2014
    I've noticed that people who still like ts4 are people who hated ts3 and are desperate for a new sims game.
  • SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited June 2014
    *sigh* Why does this even need explaining?

New versions of a series are supposed to build on older versions of the same series. So The Sims 3 was supposed to have all the best features of The Sims 1 & The Sims 2 plus great new features. It did have great new features (the Open World and CASt) but didn't have all the beloved old features and people complained in the hopes that those features would be put back in an EP. They never were. So people were disappointed.

Guess what? People are STILL disappointed. The horror that is The Sims 4 doesn't make anyone like The Sims 3 any more than they did before. They just have decided to stick with what little that they have rather than accept the crumbs that EA is offering.

The Sims 4 is supposed to have all the best features of The Sims 1, The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 plus great new features. Well, the great new features aren't all that great (CAS is better but the pluses for Build Mode cancel out the negatives for Build Mode) and NONE of the best features of The Sims 3 (Open World and CASt). It is even lacking a few of the best features of The Sims 2 (Toddlers and Pools).

Every other gaming company seems to know that you build on the features you have in a series. In fact, EA doesn't drop features from any new version of its sports franchises. So why cut major features from a major, profit-making franchise like The Sims?

It is because they can count on the fact that some fans will buy the game no matter what it is missing. It is because they are counting on charging extra for features that should have been included in the base game (if, indeed, they ever even bother to offer those features). It is because they are counting on those who do buy the game also shelling out a lot of money for DLC from the Store.

It is because they think that they can make a profit on a game simply because they always have before.

And, you know what? They may be right.
  • GarvelleGrantGarvelleGrant Posts: 390 Member
    edited June 2014
    I've noticed that people who still like ts4 are people who hated ts3 and are desperate for a new sims game.

I loved TS1,2 and 3 so I don't think thats the case at all...
    Sexy Socialite

1KuFGd.gif
    edited June 2014
    Schweighsr wrote:

New versions of a series are supposed to build on older versions of the same series. So The Sims 3 was supposed to have all the best features of The Sims 1 & The Sims 2 plus great new features. It did have great new features (the Open World and CASt) but didn't have all the beloved old features and people complained in the hopes that those features would be put back in an EP. They never were. So people were disappointed.

Guess what? People are STILL disappointed. The horror that is The Sims 4 doesn't make anyone like The Sims 3 any more than they did before. They just have decided to stick with what little that they have rather than accept the crumbs that EA is offering.

The Sims 4 is supposed to have all the best features of The Sims 1, The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 plus great new features. Well, the great new features aren't all that great (CAS is better but the pluses for Build Mode cancel out the negatives for Build Mode) and NONE of the best features of The Sims 3 (Open World and CASt). It is even lacking a few of the best features of The Sims 2 (Toddlers and Pools).

Every other gaming company seems to know that you build on the features you have in a series. In fact, EA doesn't drop features from any new version of its sports franchises. So why cut major features from a major, profit-making franchise like The Sims?

It is because they can count on the fact that some fans will buy the game no matter what it is missing. It is because they are counting on charging extra for features that should have been included in the base game (if, indeed, they ever even bother to offer those features). It is because they are counting on those who do buy the game also shelling out a lot of money for DLC from the Store.

It is because they think that they can make a profit on a game simply because they always have before.

So the fact that TS3 and TS4 dont have EVERYTHING from the previous games makes it a disappointment. riiight :roll:

Tweet from Grant:
    @ZerbuTabek @adventfear Folks like to do a direct compare. We get it. Only natural. But, no game we've ever made is a copy of the previous.

Truth is every game is its own different experience. Not even TS2 had everything from TS1. Not by a mile. Did TS2 have cake dancers? Bonehilda? Charms? Baby Dragons? Recording studios? Movie sets? Chemistry sets? No. The list goes on...

Of course we want everything, but we can't have everything. no use getting worked up over something you can't control. Especially something they've been doing since they started making sequels for this game.
  • Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited June 2014
    Schweighsr wrote:

So the fact that TS3 and TS4 dont have EVERYTHING from the previous games makes it a disappointment. riiight :roll:

Tweet from Grant:
    @ZerbuTabek @adventfear Folks like to do a direct compare. We get it. Only natural. But, no game we've ever made is a copy of the previous.

Truth is every game is its own different experience. Not even TS2 had everything from TS1. Not by a mile. Did TS2 have cake dancers? Bonehilda? Charms? Baby Dragons? Recording studios? Movie sets? Chemistry sets? No. The list goes on...

Of course we want everything, but we can't have everything. no use getting worked up over something you can't control. Especially something they've been doing since they started making sequels for this game.
    But we're talking about base game features here. Toddlers have been a base game standard since TS2. Pools since TS1. Terrain tools, since TS2. And if we follow the trend, there's a high chance that we're also losing ownable cars and fireplaces. The latter, again, has been a base game standard since TS1, the former, in this day and age, should be a base game standard.

Of course, the game is not going to have everything from it's predecessor, but it is not at all unreasonable to expect a new game to have at least the same level of content as previous games. That's the whole point of a sequel, after all.

With just about every other series out there, when a sequel is announced, the question fans ask is "how will this be improved over the last?". They don't have to worry about "are we going to lose this, this, this and that for no good reason?"
    edited June 2014
    Callum9432 wrote:
    Schweighsr wrote:

Tweet from Grant:

But we're talking about base game features here. Toddlers have been a base game standard since TS2. Pools since TS1. Terrain tools, since TS2. And if we follow the trend, there's a high chance that we're also losing ownable cars and fireplaces. The latter, again, has been a base game standard since TS1, the former, in this day and age, should be a base game standard.

Of course, the game is not going to have everything from it's predecessor, but it is not at all unreasonable to expect a new game to have at least the same level of content as previous games. That's the whole point of a sequel, after all.

With just about every other series out there, when a sequel is announced, the question fans ask is "how will this be improved over the last?". They don't have to worry about "are we going to lose this, this, this and that for no good reason?"
    I agree about toddlers and pools. TS4 has no excuse for that. I'm just saying no game will, nor has ever, have it all (meaning everything from previous games and more). To me this has been apparent since TS2. It has always been a give and take game with EA with this series. TS4 is no exception.
  • Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited June 2014
    Callum9432 wrote:
    Schweighsr wrote:

Tweet from Grant:

I agree about toddlers and pools. TS4 has no excuse for that. I'm just saying no game will, nor has ever, have it all (meaning everything from previous games and more). To me this has been apparent since TS2. It has always been a give and take game with EA with this series. TS4 is no exception.
    Well I do agree with you on that. I've approached TS4 since the announcement knowing that it will not compare content-wise to TS3 or 2 fully loaded with all EPs. It's the removal of loads of base game standards that disappoint me.
  • RawrGoesTheCatRawrGoesTheCat Posts: 1,947 Member
    edited June 2014
    nyancat23 wrote:
    Remember during the Sims 3 run (well still) when people would complain about it and say "ugh the Sims 3 sucks, the Sims 2 had...blah blah". But now with the Sims 4 approaching people are saying "The Sims 4 won't let me make garages! Ugh it sucks! In the Sims 3 you could" or "Even though the babies were lumps of nothing at least we had toddlers", or possibly the best one "The Sims 4 is a closed world! In the Sims 3 it was an open world and I prefer open world!" I distinctly remember some people talking about how laggy the Sims 3 was because of the world and how they liked the Sims 2 even though it was fixed to one lot.

Unfortunately, I was not around the forums at the time to know. However, as someone who has bagged on TS3 many times for being a soulless, boring, laggy game, I can say that the disappointment of TS4 has not changed my view on that. I will not play TS3 or suddenly begin to praise it just because TS4 looks like it's going to be pretty bad. I will, however, continue to praise and cheer the one and truly greatest Sims game, and dare I say, the greatest game ever, TS2.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2014
    Cinebar wrote:
    You know your statement about never having a problem with TS3 reminds me of some who were over on the BBS years ago. They wouldn't patch their game because they didn't have the problem listed, but the bugs were universal in all games. Thus, if not. no need for the modder of this game to fix the bugs. Like spawning cars, causing lag, stuck Sims, and all the really big major bugs in TS3. You may not be aware you have those bugs (but I sort of doubt you haven't seen some problems with your game at some point) or you may not have run into the game corruption which happens if you don't jump around from world to world and never play a household for three or four weeks, etc. but you still have the game breaking bugs EA has never fixed. If they had no one on here would ever need the mods. Not Overwatch, not SP mod to fix SP or any of it.
    The first time I had troubles was when I installed After Midnight (3th EP). I remember my surprise something odd happened so I'm sure I never suffered anything strange before that. I was playing my fifth generation in one save at that time, so I moved my sims to another world and for a while I was fine. When problems returned I increasingly started to suspect the cause could be the use of moveobjects. It may be coincidence but after I stopped using that cheat in my game I never ever suffered the problems I had again (disappearing sims, sims stuck on their beds, sims resetting or freezing).

Other bugs came though. Twice aging in my town stopped, Pangu's axe started acting crazy (the adventurer I played in the first half of 2010 never had any issues with it), well, every now and then something problematic happened and I had to fix it. I grew wiser and wiser and started to number my saves, in order to always be able to go back to a previous save when something went wrong. That saved my family more than once.

For every problem there appeared to be a solution though. Only once I had to give up, when my band didn't get any gigs. That's the only time a bug or glitch or whatever it was inhibited my plans. Every other problem I had I was able to solve without mods. Even the severe lagging in China, the only lagging I ever experienced making the game unplayable. Apart from China (and a little bit in IP, but not unplayable) I have no routing problems. And no, I'm not playing a household for three weeks, my family started in May 2010, playing their 20th generation at the moment.

So no, you won't hear me say that Sims 3 is a stable game and quite a few times I cursed the game and EA. But the gameplay, the fun, my story's, my sims, my houses, everything the game has to offer (getting richer and richer with every EP that was released) made it worth my while. Never, in spite of the bugs and the problems, did I consider to quit the game and throw it into a corner to never touch it again. Nor did I consider using mods, because I'm content playing without them. Because bugs happen every now and then, but most of the time everything's fine in my game. It's no fun when it happens, but I've been playing generations without one problem.

I don't mind people hating Sims 3 (I even understand, without an imagination it's impossible to enjoy I think), I don't mind people saying it's buggy and unstable (because it is). But it's not unplayable without mods, in fact it is great fun.

And about Sims 4: apparently people complained about robotic sims so now they get emotional ones.
    People complained Sims 3 wasn't quirky, the sims in 4 are quirky as quirky gets.
    People wanted baby's with limbs, they're getting baby's with limbs.
    People wanted to play the game on grandma's laptop (grandma's buying a brand new one), now they can.
    Everything has a price.
    @SimGuruGrant wrote:

:thumbup:
    5JZ57S6.png
  • bosslaydeebosslaydee Posts: 3,976 Member
    edited June 2014
    I find that ironic, yes.
    But i myself have never used ts3 in any of my complaints. i always go back to ts2. or just say "past games" as a whole. because to this day i really do hate ts3.
  • SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited June 2014

Tweet from Grant:

All the things you mentioned from TS1 were in EPs, not the base game. Let's compare base games for a minute, okay? And I didn't say EVERYTHING, I said THE BEST FEASTURES.

TS2 had the best features of TS1 plus multiple life-stages, generational play and true 3D. That was an amazing improvement.

TS3 had most of the best features from TS2 plus CASt and an Open World. Rabbithole venues were a disappointment but rabbithole workplaces were kind of cool. The loss of animated hair and car animations was a blow. Pudding face Sims, the poorly implemented Trait system and the general lack of unique animations were a disappointment, but none of those things were major features. So TS3 was an improvement from TS2 but not a great one.

What does TS4 have? Improved CAS, yes. Some nice new Build Mode tools - but the removal of other Build Mode tools that some people counted on. No Toddlers - a life-stage that dates back to TS2. No CASt and no Open World, the best things about TS3. No pools or swimming, Open Spaces we can't edit, Neighborhoods we can't add lots to, content we have to 'earn' in game, cars unconfirmed (but probably decorative), fireplaces unconfirmed (but probably out), an Emotion system that is supposed to be great but we haven't seen in actual game-play so who knows, supposedly smarter Sims (a promise we have gotten with every new version), better routing (another promise we have gotten with every new version). Instead we get multiple loading screens, pre-sets and Teens that are the same as Young Adults/ Adults (really, why have multiple names for the same life-stage?).

These are MAJOR FEATURES, not minor content like Bonehilda and Recording Studios. They are much more important to the community than things like car animations.

We aren't asking for everything from previous games. Fans understand that things have to be left out. There might have been modest quibbles from the lack of Restaurants, Shops and Spas in the base game - but we would know that those things could be added easily in an EP. Even the lack of ownable cars, pools and fireplaces from the base game would have caused complaints but wouldn't have made so many people vow that they would never buy the game. Again, all those things could be added in EPs and most people wouldn't mind paying for them along as they were improved.

But Toddlers? EA actually expects us to pay for a life-stage that has been in the game for 2 generations? If they even add it back in an EP, which I doubt. Give me a break. :roll:

All we are asking for is an actual improvement to the franchise. And we aren't getting it.

If you are satisfied with TS4 go ahead and buy the game. I think you are settling for far too little, but it is your money, not mine. EA will not see a penny from me. My biggest fear is that people like you, who are willing to pay more for less, will lull EA into thinking that they can keep on doing this. I'm willing to wait for TS5 - but if TS4 is even a moderate success then TS5 is likely to be even more anemic that TS4. What major features will they cut next?
  • nyancat23nyancat23 Posts: 60 New Member
    edited June 2014
    Cinebar wrote:
    You know your statement about never having a problem with TS3 reminds me of some who were over on the BBS years ago. They wouldn't patch their game because they didn't have the problem listed, but the bugs were universal in all games. Thus, if not. no need for the modder of this game to fix the bugs. Like spawning cars, causing lag, stuck Sims, and all the really big major bugs in TS3. You may not be aware you have those bugs (but I sort of doubt you haven't seen some problems with your game at some point) or you may not have run into the game corruption which happens if you don't jump around from world to world and never play a household for three or four weeks, etc. but you still have the game breaking bugs EA has never fixed. If they had no one on here would ever need the mods. Not Overwatch, not SP mod to fix SP or any of it.
    The first time I had troubles was when I installed After Midnight (3th EP). I remember my surprise something odd happened so I'm sure I never suffered anything strange before that. I was playing my fifth generation in one save at that time, so I moved my sims to another world and for a while I was fine. When problems returned I increasingly started to suspect the cause could be the use of moveobjects. It may be coincidence but after I stopped using that cheat in my game I never ever suffered the problems I had again (disappearing sims, sims stuck on their beds, sims resetting or freezing).

Other bugs came though. Twice aging in my town stopped, Pangu's axe started acting crazy (the adventurer I played in the first half of 2010 never had any issues with it), well, every now and then something problematic happened and I had to fix it. I grew wiser and wiser and started to number my saves, in order to always be able to go back to a previous save when something went wrong. That saved my family more than once.

For every problem there appeared to be a solution though. Only once I had to give up, when my band didn't get any gigs. That's the only time a bug or glitch or whatever it was inhibited my plans. Every other problem I had I was able to solve without mods. Even the severe lagging in China, the only lagging I ever experienced making the game unplayable. Apart from China (and a little bit in IP, but not unplayable) I have no routing problems. And no, I'm not playing a household for three weeks, my family started in May 2010, playing their 20th generation at the moment.

So no, you won't hear me say that Sims 3 is a stable game and quite a few times I cursed the game and EA. But the gameplay, the fun, my story's, my sims, my houses, everything the game has to offer (getting richer and richer with every EP that was released) made it worth my while. Never, in spite of the bugs and the problems, did I consider to quit the game and throw it into a corner to never touch it again. Nor did I consider using mods, because I'm content playing without them. Because bugs happen every now and then, but most of the time everything's fine in my game. It's no fun when it happens, but I've been playing generations without one problem.

I don't mind people hating Sims 3 (I even understand, without an imagination it's impossible to enjoy I think), I don't mind people saying it's buggy and unstable (because it is). But it's not unplayable without mods, in fact it is great fun.

And about Sims 4: apparently people complained about robotic sims so now they get emotional ones.
    People complained Sims 3 wasn't quirky, the sims in 4 are quirky as quirky gets.
    People wanted baby's with limbs, they're getting baby's with limbs.
    People wanted to play the game on grandma's laptop (grandma's buying a brand new one), now they can.
    Everything has a price.
    @SimGuruGrant wrote:

:thumbup:

I agree with you, I've had problems in the game myself. Like Sims disappearing without a trace or Sims getting stuck. But everything wad fixable. With the Sims 3 being my first Sims game (Sims 2 my 2nd) I love it, its one of those games I will remember spending hours playing. I love making big family of and have fleshed out stories to go with it. Even though sometimes I grew frustrated with it I never gave it up. I just love the charm it has.
  • KramYraeloKramYraelo Posts: 734 Member
    edited June 2014
    Callum9432 wrote:
    Schweighsr wrote:

Tweet from Grant:

I think the real issue for most is that TS4 is shaping up more take, and less give. At least that is what I am seeing with the recent announcements of what is and is not in the game.

If they've got an ace up their sleeves, they better play it now. Otherwise this going to be an abysmal release and more bad press than even they can handle I think.
    edited June 2014
    Schweighsr wrote:

Tweet from Grant:

All the things you mentioned from TS1 were in EPs, not the base game. Let's compare base games for a minute, okay? And I didn't say EVERYTHING, I said THE BEST FEASTURES.

TS2 had the best features of TS1 plus multiple life-stages, generational play and true 3D. That was an amazing improvement.

TS3 had most of the best features from TS2 plus CASt and an Open World. Rabbithole venues were a disappointment but rabbithole workplaces were kind of cool. The loss of animated hair and car animations was a blow. Pudding face Sims, the poorly implemented Trait system and the general lack of unique animations were a disappointment, but none of those things were major features. So TS3 was an improvement from TS2 but not a great one.

What does TS4 have? Improved CAS, yes. Some nice new Build Mode tools - but the removal of other Build Mode tools that some people counted on. No Toddlers - a life-stage that dates back to TS2. No CASt and no Open World, the best things about TS3. No pools or swimming, Open Spaces we can't edit, Neighborhoods we can't add lots to, content we have to 'earn' in game, cars unconfirmed (but probably decorative), fireplaces unconfirmed (but probably out), an Emotion system that is supposed to be great but we haven't seen in actual game-play so who knows, supposedly smarter Sims (a promise we have gotten with every new version), better routing (another promise we have gotten with every new version). Instead we get multiple loading screens, pre-sets and Teens that are the same as Young Adults/ Adults (really, why have multiple names for the same life-stage?).

These are MAJOR FEATURES, not minor content like Bonehilda and Recording Studios. They are much more important to the community than things like car animations.

We aren't asking for everything from previous games. Fans understand that things have to be left out. There might have been modest quibbles from the lack of Restaurants, Shops and Spas in the base game - but we would know that those things could be added easily in an EP. Even the lack of ownable cars, pools and fireplaces from the base game would have caused complaints but wouldn't have made so many people vow that they would never buy the game. Again, all those things could be added in EPs and most people wouldn't mind paying for them along as they were improved.

But Toddlers? EA actually expects us to pay for a life-stage that has been in the game for 2 generations? If they even add it back in an EP, which I doubt. Give me a break. :roll:

All we are asking for is an actual improvement to the franchise. And we aren't getting it.

If you are satisfied with TS4 go ahead and buy the game. I think you are settling for far too little, but it is your money, not mine. EA will not see a penny from me. My biggest fear is that people like you, who are willing to pay more for less, will lull EA into thinking that they can keep on doing this. I'm willing to wait for TS5 - but if TS4 is even a moderate success then TS5 is likely to be even more anemic that TS4. What major features will they cut next?
    Never said I was buying it. I lost interest way before their little announcement yesterday. I wasn't even surprised.

and what "best features" of TS1 did TS2 have? TS1 base game had nothing to begin with, so there was nothing to leave out in TS2, except EP content.

I think your playing favorites. this "nothing's worse than ts3/nothing's better than ts2" mentality is getting old.

Every base game has its own flavor. Don't like it, don't buy it. Simple.
  • lilhunnylilhunny Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited June 2014
    Remember during the Sims 3 run (well still) when people would complain about it and say "ugh the Sims 3 sucks

not really, no
  • mattific17mattific17 Posts: 137 Member
    edited June 2014
    They can't be satisfied as ever. They just love to howl at the moon.
  • ToblieToblie Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited June 2014
    Oh the ironing!
  • pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    edited June 2014
    nyancat23 wrote:
    Remember during the Sims 3 run (well still) when people would complain about it and say "ugh the Sims 3 sucks, the Sims 2 had...blah blah". But now with the Sims 4 approaching people are saying "The Sims 4 won't let me make garages! Ugh it sucks! In the Sims 3 you could" or "Even though the babies were lumps of nothing at least we had toddlers", or possibly the best one "The Sims 4 is a closed world! In the Sims 3 it was an open world and I prefer open world!" I distinctly remember some people talking about how laggy the Sims 3 was because of the world and how they liked the Sims 2 even though it was fixed to one lot.

I know these are a collection of different opinions from different simmers, but its just so ironic! Its like when something new comes out its always compared to the old thing and bashed for being something different.

I remember browsing the forums when a new Expansion Pack was coming out for the Sims 3 and someone was complaining about home much the Sims 3 sucks. But then someone replied saying "Ugh everyone is always complaining but when then Sims 4 comes around you'll be running back to the Sims 3! Saying u miss it and that the Sims 4 is garbage." And that's exactly what is happening! Right now!

Oh sorry for any errors or anything, I rarely post in the forums and I'm on my phone. And I hope it made sense I was trying to put it into words the best way I could, its been on my mind forever now!

TS3 pwns TS4.

TS4 can't hold a candle.

TS2 pwns TS4 too.
  • solarfairy77solarfairy77 Posts: 265 Member
    edited June 2014
    06Bon06 wrote:
    Then there's me. I loved the Sims 2 but I couldn't be happier over all the improvements in Sims 3, played Sims 2 one time after I bought Sims 3 and never again. Honestly, my game doesn't seem to run into too many rooting errors except Lucky Palms that seems to have it's errors caused by Seasons. I also have little to no lag and enough
    Sims per lot.

The minute I saw sims 4, I knew I wouldn't want dough balls then they started removing everything and I was laughing all the time.

I need to see improvement, not only two big features but a game that looks and feels next gen. The AI doesn't even seem nearly as good as some of the games that have already come out this year.

I'm probably of the few that never really hated Sims 3 much and I'm not complaining because I don't care. :lol:

You are not the only one that felt this way. I was excited about sims 2 and sims 3, and started out excited for sims 4, until huge features were being taken away. To me a base game should have most if not all the major features of the previous game's base game, plus new and exciting features, since its a new updated version. I also don't think that we should have to pay extra money for a life stage that should be included in the base game price tag. Not saying this will happen, but I am not going to get my hopes up. I do understand that everyone has their opinion and I disagree with all the name calling between pro sims 4 and anti sims 4 people. Its pretty ridiculous that a game can cause so much hate towards other people for just having an opinion.
  • loyallyroyalloyallyroyal Posts: 353 Member
    edited June 2014
    I think the reason people are so upset is they are disappointed. I have been super excited for every new sim generation, unfortunately I'm not excited for Sims 4.

I think a lot of people, myself included, expected a better, if potentially smaller, open world that was more dynamic and I never would of guessed that toddlers wouldn't of made the cut.

Are the sims 2 or 3 perfect, no. Are they still great games, yes. People are disappointed because they had high expectations that have been shattered repeatedly.

I am rather hoping EA manages to turn things around for the sims 5.