The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Smoking Pipe - NOT TOBACCO

NOT TOBACCO -

SIGNATURES = 1
Nodak

I understand EA wants to avoid having smoking in their game, but we have juice bars, so if there is a Sims version of alcohol, then can we please get some smoking pipes and a plant that you can put in your garden that gives you special seeds/leaves to smoke. I understand it can't be tobacco, so it should be the same thing as in bubble bars - only now it can be cultivated.

And PLEASE make it so the Sim can walk around doing things with the pipe in their hand or mouth. Reading while smoking, writing while smoking, watching a movie while smoking, talking at the dinner table while smoking, sitting outside underneath a roof overhang while it rains on an afternoon while smoking, etc...

Derive it from something in real life, for example;

Tea leaves - ESPECIALLY now that there is a tea set coming

Or use things already in the game, for example;

Bubbles - derived from a new bubble weed/leaf. Instead of blowing smoke, blow bubbles
Wolfsbane - just because it sounds cool
Flower plants, for example Chamomile, Bumbleleaf, etc..

I so badly want my Sims to be go Tolkien and do this;

Tolkien.jpg

Or deduce something truly fascinating like so;

0.jpg

And marvel all the eager young minds of tomorrow about how I went to the future;

Albert-Einstein-Smoking-8.jpg

But at the end of the day, just sit my bookworm Sim back and ponder;

pipe-coffee.jpg

And please don't badger me about the health effects, this isn't real-life smoking we're talking about. Otherwise I'll unleash the pipe-smoking badger on you.

Badger%2Btwo.jpg

And to close - this is what I'll be doing with your replies;

hunks.png

Comments

• CogitotoroCogitotoro Posts: 1,401 Member
    edited June 2014
    Not gonna happen. Sorry.
    Cogitotoro, aka Ashley
    siggy3_zpsaaab9c22.jpg
    No wishlist for me!
  • NodakNodak Posts: 89 Member
    edited June 2014
    Cogitotoro wrote:
    Not gonna happen. Sorry.

Has there been an official statement on this already?
  • tinydancer80tinydancer80 Posts: 282 Member
    edited June 2014
    Nodak wrote:
    Cogitotoro wrote:
    Not gonna happen. Sorry.

Probably not an official statement, but an outright reference to smoking (no matter what it is that is being "smoked") just isn't likely to happen, as this is rated for teens.
    edited June 2014
    Nodak wrote:
    Cogitotoro wrote:
    Not gonna happen. Sorry.

Probably not an official statement, but an outright reference to smoking (no matter what it is that is being "smoked") just isn't likely to happen, as this is rated for teens.

Right - but then the bubble bar, nectar, and woohoo shouldn't be in the game.

Bubble bar is a direct reference to hookah, which uses tobacco
    Nectar is used to create Sims version of wine
    and we all know what woohoo does
    and then of course, gambling - which has as many, if not more legal background than smoking.

I'm not talking about cartons of cigarettes that must be peddled to children. I'm talking about something as engraved in human society as the references of bubble bar, nectar, and woohoo. Tea leaves are not tobacco, and that is smoked in real life.
    edited June 2014
    Nodak wrote:
    Cogitotoro wrote:
    Not gonna happen. Sorry.

^This. You could say they're smoking fairy unicorn farts and EA would never ever do it, in my opinion. Anything that looks like it's promoting pretend tobacco use to teens would get them in such deep water there's just no way. The hookah is as close as you will get.
    Cogitotoro, aka Ashley
    siggy3_zpsaaab9c22.jpg
    No wishlist for me!
    edited June 2014
    Cogitotoro wrote:
    Nodak wrote:
    Cogitotoro wrote:
    Not gonna happen. Sorry.

^This. You could say they're smoking fairy unicorn farts and EA would never ever do it, in my opinion. Anything that looks like it's promoting pretend tobacco use to teens would get them in such deep water there's just no way. The hookah is as close as you will get.

But it's still a hookah reference. I don't understand a world where sex, sugar, and sadism is preferable to pretend tobacco...
    edited June 2014
    Nodak wrote:
    Cogitotoro wrote:
    Nodak wrote:
    Cogitotoro wrote:
    Not gonna happen. Sorry.

But it's still a hookah reference. I don't understand a world where sex, sugar, and sadism is preferable to pretend tobacco...

Wait... where's there sadism? I don't want you to think we're ganging up on you, or that WE think it's a bad idea, personally, it's just that from the point of view of EA games, we believe they'd see it as promoting, rather than hinting at, smoking itself. The keg HINTS at guzzling beer while not actually BEING beer. Smoking a pipe is... well... smoking a pipe, no matter what type of leaf you would put in it (in real life) it puts out smoke containing harmful chemicals. There's really no way to put that in the game while simply HINTING at smoking and not ACTUALLY smoking... if this makes any sense.
    edited June 2014

Wait... where's there sadism?

It's okay torment a Sim in a plethora of ways, even to death, either as a player or by other Sims, and it's okay to have dead babies and kids in the game caused by either the player, the game, or other Sims, but not a smoking pipe that doesn't use tobacco?
    edited June 2014
    Nodak wrote:

It's okay torment a Sim in a plethora of ways, even to death, either as a player or by other Sims, and it's okay to have dead babies and kids in the game caused by either the player, the game, or other Sims, but not a smoking pipe that doesn't use tobacco?

Sadism is:

the tendency to derive pleasure, especially sexual gratification, from inflicting pain, suffering, or humiliation on others.

•(in general use) deliberate cruelty

While it can be generally described as deliberate cruelty, the game does not give you actual tools to torture or kill your sims with. You manually or intentionally allow their needs to run out, or for them to get electrocuted, drown, or what have you.

edited June 2014
    Nodak wrote:

Sadism is:

the tendency to derive pleasure, especially sexual gratification, from inflicting pain, suffering, or humiliation on others.

Yes? You're adding on to my original statement or contesting it? There is sadism in the game. Sims even laugh at causing devastation to other Sims. And Sims do die by the action of either the player or other Sims.
    edited June 2014
    Nodak wrote:
    Nodak wrote:

Sadism is:

Yes? You're adding on to my original statement or contesting it? There is sadism in the game. Sims even laugh at causing devastation to other Sims. And Sims do die by the action of either the player or other Sims.

I apologize. Please refer to my edited version of that post.
    edited June 2014
    Nodak wrote:

Sadism is:

While it can be generally described as deliberate cruelty, the game does not give you actual tools to torture or kill your sims with. You manually or intentionally allow their needs to run out, or for them to get electrocuted, drown, or what have you.

Pyromaniacs can set fires
    Mummies can curse you
    Ghosts can scare you to death
    Sharks can eat you

There are still many ways to torture Sims - magic, foods, fights, pranks, etc...

Let me add here, I hate not being able to turn off zombies without turning off other cool parts of Supernatural.
    edited June 2014
    Nodak wrote:
    Nodak wrote:

Sadism is:

Pyromaniacs can set fires
    Mummies can curse you
    Ghosts can scare you to death
    Sharks can eat you

There are still many ways to torture Sims - magic, foods, fights, pranks, etc...

Let me add here, I hate not being able to turn off zombies.

I was not aware of the Pyromaniac trait as it is a hidden one and I never use the firefighter career track. The other ones don't encourage specific bad habits. I cannot explain the gambling thing except to say that no one gets hurt there. Your sims may go broke, but no one gets hurt.

All arguments aside, they will not do it. I can almost guarantee you that. You are welcome to ask a SimGuru though. I've tried to explain why they most likely won't, and I can explain no more. Smoking is a deadly and bad habit and they won't include it in a game for teens.
    edited June 2014
    I was not aware of the Pyromaniac trait as it is a hidden one and I never use the firefighter career track. The other ones don't encourage specific bad habits. I cannot explain the gambling thing except to say that no one gets hurt there. Your sims may go broke, but no one gets hurt.

All arguments aside, they will not do it. I can almost guarantee you that. You are welcome to ask a SimGuru though. I've tried to explain why they most likely won't, and I can explain no more. Smoking is a deadly and bad habit and they won't include it in a game for teens.

Whether or not someone gets hurt is clearly a matter of perspective. Gambling is very closely tied to criminal organizations and often has severe outcomes. It's also why it's largely illegal in many areas. Yes, people do get hurt gambling, even physically, but especially mentally.

This is my point. If you can blow bubbles with a hookah pipe, then you can blow bubbles with a classic pipe. Gambling is also a bad habit, as is hoarding, polluting, crime, etc... the list is lengthy, even in Sims 3. Obesity is funny in Sims 3, not in real life. Yet no biggie that you can sugar-load non-stop in Sims, but mention a bubble pipe and immediately get equated with death and mature content...

I just don't understand why it's a big deal that someone is willing to buy a bubble pipe when a bubble hookah is already in the game. Shame on me for wanting some content that I will pay for myself.

I'm sorry for being upset - I knew this would degrade into a morality debate, especially when people don't realize there is already morality issues with the game. I was hoping people would be able to contribute positively to this thread, instead of right away saying "nope, thread dead, sorry, bye"
    edited June 2014
    Nodak wrote:

Whether or not someone gets hurt is clearly a matter of perspective. Gambling is very closely tied to criminal organizations and often has severe outcomes. It's also why it's largely illegal in many areas. Yes, people do get hurt gambling, even physically, but especially mentally.

This is my point. If you can blow bubbles with a hookah pipe, then you can blow bubbles with a classic pipe. Gambling is also a bad habit, as is hoarding, polluting, crime, etc... the list is lengthy, even in Sims 3. Obesity is funny in Sims 3, not in real life. Yet no biggie that you can sugar-load non-stop in Sims, but mention a bubble pipe and immediately get equated with death and mature content...

I just don't understand why it's a big deal that someone is willing to buy a bubble pipe when a bubble hookah is already in the game. Shame on me for wanting some content that I will pay for myself.

I'm sorry for being upset - I knew this would degrade into a morality debate, especially when people don't realize there is already morality issues with the game. I was hoping people would be able to contribute positively to this thread, instead of right away saying "nope, thread dead, sorry, bye"

A bubble pipe is one thing... smoking any kind of leaves, be they tobacco, tea, or any other kind, is something EA won't agree to put in the game. But as I said, feel free to ask a SimGuru. In my opinion (and I could be wrong), you won't get many signatures on this petition, as I think the majority will think it is a lost cause. Plus, there's other things they will want more. I have contributed all I can to this thread, and I feel any more is just argumentative. Sorry.
  • tlc10175tlc10175 Posts: 2,550 Member
    edited June 2014
    It's a glorified bubble blower FFS. it creates bubbles. To blow a bubble you need to *exhale* NOT *inhale*. XD

• IMeepIMeep Posts: 1,635 Member
    edited June 2014
    There's a mod for that.
  • darkwidow11darkwidow11 Posts: 601 Member
    edited June 2014
    I personally don't want anything to do with smoking in my game. There is a mod, however, that puts cigarettes in the game. I believe you can find it on MTS.
  • Saga710Saga710 Posts: 31 New Member
    edited June 2014
    Adding smoking (even if it is not tobacco) would most likely make game banned in some countries. Because for example in my country any advertisement for smoking is illegal (even in shops nothing can be visible and that includes electric cigarettes etc.)

• CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited June 2014
    Hello! :D

This isn't quite what you were requesting but I thought I'd mention a few things I've seen around.

* There is a lovely remodel of the bubble blower floating around the cc world which you might like. I don't have it, but I've seen it in a few l.ps and it's a very nice object. I don't know where it's from but I'm sure you could find it with a bit of a search.

(edit: yes, I tried a quick search and it does indeed pull up the mod. One is definitely from Mod the Sims. I'm not linking, just to be careful. You should find them easily though with a few choice words.)

(edit 2: I believe the pretty one I saw that I particularly liked is from Around the Sims 3.)

* I know you said 'not smoking' but there is a smoking mod at Mod the Sims.

* The herbs from University Life are supposed to mimic certain substances. When eaten they have different effects. Did you know you can throw them on a bonfire and everyone in the area will feel the effect?

This might not be quite what you had in mind but I thought I'd mention them, just in case. :D

I don't think the store team would be 100% against the idea, but they have to take general opinion into account. I'm not too sure how good the reaction would be to such content. It might be a little too niche.
  • ChimarkChimark Posts: 2,166 Member
    edited June 2014
    There are a lot of smoking mods out there. Some of them are functional and give Sims moodlets and some are just decorative. In other words, the Sims just always has a cigarette hin his/her lips, but you don't see smoke or get moodlets.

I understand what you are saying about the nectar and hookah bubble blower, but the real problem is emulation. In other words there is such a thing as fizzy nectar and the idea of any real person buying a hookah isn't gonna happen. If a teen tried to emulate it it, would be hard for the hookah.

Reminds me of a time I was in the waiting room at the doctors and cartoons were on and the coyote gets smashed on the head with an anvil. One of the parents says to her kid, "That's a cartoon, you don't do that in real life." I'm like "Where is that kid gonna get an anvil?"

edited June 2014
    I'm sorry it felt like people were shutting down your idea. I personally would love to be able to make a Gandalf with a pipe. However, I think the consensus is that you should turn to the modding community for what you're interested in. It may not be logical that they would make a game rated for teens in which there's simulated drinking and gambling, but not simulated smoking of cigarette- or pipe-like items, but I just think that's the reality.

But yes, you should try to find modders interested in what you're looking for! TS4 will be friendly to modding, it looks like.

I'd just hate to see you spending energy trying to push for something that is likely either to be a non-starter or at least very, very low on their priorities list.
    Cogitotoro, aka Ashley
    siggy3_zpsaaab9c22.jpg
    No wishlist for me!
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited June 2014
    Chimark wrote:
    Reminds me of a time I was in the waiting room at the doctors and cartoons were on and the coyote gets smashed on the head with an anvil. One of the parents says to her kid, "That's a cartoon, you don't do that in real life." I'm like "Where is that kid gonna get an anvil?"

:lol::lol::lol:
  • XxDuhastxXXxDuhastxX Posts: 4 New Member
    the amount of 🐸🐸🐸🐸 is hysterical >:)
  • AvataritAvatarit Posts: 836 Member
    There's a CC Hookah in ATS3 site. and there are smoking mods. don't know if the mod includes this pipe or only "regular" cigaretts