Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Only 12+ Families in Willow Creek?

2...Next

Comments

• pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    edited June 2014
    kirby356 wrote:
    So I was surfing through SimGuruSarah's twitter and came across these tweets that are kind of red flags for me:
    @fckngkidneys There are 5 Neighborhoods in Willow Creek which have between 2-5 lots each. Lots can be used for residential or venue.
    @fckngkidneys Up to 5. Not every neighborhood has 5 lots.
    @DiannaDevassa You can still only have one family per lot. B/c there are 5 neighborhoods per world you can have 12+ families in Willow Creek

Does this worry anyone else? It seems like this world is very small, yet it doesn't look small in the trailers or pictures. I guess what makes it look bigger is the public space? See this is why we need live gameplay.

Also, only 12+ families in Willow Creek? This concerns me a ton considering that seems very low. TS3 worlds had around 100+ sims in it. I'm just so confused, because if this is the case then I might have to reconsider buying it on the release date. Families are very important to me when it comes to The Sims franchise. This has me worried. :?

That's small. I'm not into townies. I like to creat all sims in the game.

Let's hope we can create and delete townies.
  • kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited June 2014
    Mstybl95 wrote:
    This didn't sound so bad at first, but then I thought about the way I play. What happens when my sims have children and they move out and have their own children and each of them moves out and has their own children. That means I will run out of livable space relatively quickly. That's unfortunate and will severely disrupt the way I play now.

Boy, I was really excited about this game until today. It's just been one letdown after another. I'm considering cancelling my pre-order today.

Very true.

This would really all be sorted out with live gameplay footage. All of these tweets and blogs are just confusing me to the point where I have to see it to believe. Especially after the clothes shopping fiasco.
  • TranquilliteTranquillite Posts: 89 New Member
    edited June 2014
    Although this is personally not a huge problem for myself due to my play style, I can understand how some other simmers consider this a let down. We'll just have to see how it all plays out once we're given more info.
  • 3PupDLS3PupDLS Posts: 882 Member
    edited June 2014
    Maybe they are keeping the number of lots and families small on purpose. That way simmers will be desperate to buy the store worlds.

I really want to like this game. I love the look of the sims and the new CAS system. But the more I hear the more disappointed I feel. In my opinion the negatives far out the positives. It is time EA starts trying to actually sell this game instead of trying to cause it to fail.
  • 2011simone2011simone Posts: 2,444 Member
    edited June 2014
    It doesn't say up to 12 families, it says 12+ so tjhat means 12 or MORE. If you want more than 12 families you can!
    My origin id is sim2011
  • treelifetreelife Posts: 254
    edited June 2014
    *sigh* the more I hear about this game the less sure I am I want it, :(

Makes me almost miss the days when EA was
    Silent about the game. :(
  • IcySlashIcySlash Posts: 1,070 Member
    edited June 2014
    Does these '12 families' include the Premades such as the Goths, Calientes and Lothario?

I hope not, but i also wouldn't like to see them in the Family Bin
    On TS3 there was plenty premade families living in homes, but the world was so big you wouldn't need to worry about space, at all. In TS4 i believe this will be one of the big problems.
  • pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    edited June 2014
    2011simone wrote:
    It doesn't say up to 12 families, it says 12+ so tjhat means 12 or MORE. If you want more than 12 families you can!

Of course! Because if it's 40 familes, they'll just say 12!
  • simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member
    edited June 2014
    12 families :shock: the 12 + if you are willing to sacrifice venues, which I'm not, this is getting more and more ridiculous :(

• enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    edited June 2014
    There will be townies though, plus the ability to make sims and turn them into townies (unless they misspoke about that too :roll: .)

Then it seems what we really need to know is, can TOWNIES (sims who do not have a home) exist as FAMILIES? As in, can sims who do not have a house have an actual spouse and children, and be considered a family unit, even though they do not have a playable house and are not played by the player???????
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    edited June 2014
    jimmysnan wrote:
    100 sims in TS3 all over the place in the big world, and 12 + in a smaller world and townies and chance for more townies, makes for more crowded venues and more sims about. You can only play with one family at a time, at least there will be sims to interact with, not dead venues like in TS3.

I agree that it's great they've given us townies, but, assuming we can't make townies (but maybe we can?), fewer households means less control over the kinds of sims in our town.

Yes, I understand that we can only play one household at a time, but plenty of people like to move their spare legacy sims out and watch how their lives develop - having the active household visit them, etc. - so for them the town would get filled out after just a couple of generations, and that is without even making rooms for any households of family friends (important people in the active sims' lives, but who are not related to them).

I like to play by filling towns with my own sims, and then watching how their stories develop over generations. I'm currently making over Barnacle Bay and moving in about 30 households of my own (I'm not sure how many sims, but definitely over 100, more if you count the ghosts in the graveyard). Many of these sims are very special to me, even the ones I don't play, because they are descended from about five different families that I placed in Isla Paradiso when it was first released, and the families have all changed so much since then. I am always excited to see who marries whom, what traits the children roll, and what careers they pursue. I just don't feel like I'd be able to have such a vibrant and emotionally meaningful community with only 12 households that actually lived in houses in the town.

For me having an active town isn't just about having all the community lots full up (and my lots are usually full up in TS3, crowded even, apart from the clubs for some reason); it's about feeling a connection to all the sims in my town, and knowing I can move out legacy spares (from both my active household and from any of the other multi-generational families that I don't actually play) and still be able visit them in their houses.
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member
    edited June 2014
    GreenCats wrote:
    I agree that it's great they've given us townies, but, assuming we can't make townies (but maybe we can?), fewer households means less control over the kinds of sims in our town.

Yes, I understand that we can only play one household at a time, but plenty of people like to move their spare legacy sims out and watch how their lives develop - having the active household visit them, etc. - so for them the town would get filled out after just a couple of generations, and that is without even making rooms for any households of family friends (important people in the active sims' lives, but who are not related to them).

I like to play by filling towns with my own sims, and then watching how their stories develop over generations. I'm currently making over Barnacle Bay and moving in about 30 households of my own (I'm not sure how many sims, but definitely over 100, more if you count the ghosts in the graveyard). Many of these sims are very special to me, even the ones I don't play, because they are descended from about five different families that I placed in Isla Paradiso when it was first released, and the families have all changed so much since then. I am always excited to see who marries whom, what traits the children roll, and what careers they pursue. I just don't feel like I'd be able to have such a vibrant and emotionally meaningful community with only 12 households that actually lived in houses in the town.

For me having an active town isn't just about having all the community lots full up (and my lots are usually full up in TS3, crowded even, apart from the clubs for some reason); it's about feeling a connection to all the sims in my town, and knowing I can move out legacy spares (from both my active household and from any of the other multi-generational families that I don't actually play) and still be able visit them in their houses.

This is exactly how I play. It will be hard, no impossible, to play this way in TS4.

• utterlyunzippedutterlyunzipped Posts: 503 New Member
    edited June 2014
    All this talk of TS3 venues being empty gets me down. Search more! If you edit your graphicrules file, and add a couple of mods then you will get buzzing, packed venues like I do.

The restricted number of Lots per Hood is ridiculous! If yo have a a Hood with only 2 Lots and only want a single Sim in each then that hood is going to have just 2 Sims (+ a few random townies) in it!! That is the daftest thing I've ever heard!

In The Sims 3, thanks to a few mods, I play the whole World like it is one big Lot. I am able to take control of any Sim with a ctrl-click of the mouse and play them! Some of my Worlds have had 200+ Lots with upto 8 Sims per Lot, plus pets etc. With no loading pauses or screens!

To be expected to go backwards to just a few Sims in play at a time and loading screens is laughable!

• GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    edited June 2014
    This is exactly how I play. It will be hard, no impossible, to play this way in TS4.

Snap! :)

We'll have to wait and see when the game comes out to know for sure, but I agree, it's not looking good for simmers who like to play in this way :(
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com
  • DillynJamesDillynJames Posts: 551 Member
    edited June 2014
    If they have TS3-esque Story Progression, we're in big trouble.

It's like a mix of Sims 2 and 3. There is an option to have your sims age very similarly to what we saw in The Sims 2 where only one household aged at a time. I think there is an option to have the whole neighborhood age at the same time like The Sims 3 as well. You can pick and choose.
    modthesims.info/member.php?u=8889989 320k downloads on ModTheSims; CarlDillynson
  • nateslicenateslice Posts: 1,440 Member
    edited June 2014
    If the semi-open world works like they're saying it will, multiple towns will integrate together, and you'll be able to jump to a district in another town as if it were part of the same town. And odds are pretty good that there'll be at least a second town available for free as a bonus for registering your game.

That was done for Sims 2 and 3, and we've seen a couple of screenshots that don't seem to have been taken in Willow Creek. So, I think it's likely that we'll have at least a second town available at launch.

If towns really integrate together the way it sounds like they will, and we do indeed get at least one free bonus town, then you won't be limited to interacting with just the sims of Willow Creek.

I'll call this... a medium-sized if. It sounds like a plausible scenario, but I am a bit worried about some of the backpedalling we've been seeing recently regarding several features of the game.

Incidentally, I think the free DLC town (presuming there is one) is where we'll get pools and swimwear.
  • GrapefruitdreamsGrapefruitdreams Posts: 59 Member
    edited June 2014
    I'm pretty/almost 99% certain we aren't capped at 12 families. We can edit all the lots freely. I'm guessing the town starts with 12 families, which would theoretically leave 13 more lots. I highly doubt these are all commercial (Especially without clothes shopping </3), and as such are probably empty lots. I'm sure after venues and stuff, we can probably pack in a good 19 families. That saves 6 lots for things like a club, library, gym, restaurant (Gosh, I hope we have those again), and 2 for whatever else they wanted to add. 19 families isn't too bad honestly, especially with townies. The Sims 2 had something like 6-8 families to a neighborhood. The Sims 3 was 25. So, it's somewhere in between.

EDIT: Oh wow. I just gave it a reread. Between 2-5 lots? I really hope that just means premades. 2 lots in a neighborhood is absolutely pathetic. I mean, 5 is livable... but 2... just why?
  • IcySlashIcySlash Posts: 1,070 Member
    edited June 2014
    If they have TS3-esque Story Progression, we're in big trouble.

It's like a mix of Sims 2 and 3. There is an option to have your sims age very similarly to what we saw in The Sims 2 where only one household aged at a time. I think there is an option to have the whole neighborhood age at the same time like The Sims 3 as well. You can pick and choose.
    I think you misunderstood. I think she meant the messed up TS3 Story Progression (not aging) where most Sims in town just age into elders, die and basically nothing much happen. For me, i believe we should be able to 'tame' how Progression works through settings, much like choose if a household would marry, have babies, have a work or not. Right now, if you leave your Sim alone and be back a couple of Sim days things will go totally wrong.