Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cloud Saves in The Sims 4 - Devs Please Reconsider this Decision

13...Next

Comments

• moo11xmoo11x Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited June 2014
    PLSTRONG wrote:
    To cover costs of storage on their cloud, if it was introduced, you will likely see the price of the expansion packs, etc, go up to cover this so called "free facility". Like a previous person said their is an increase risk of viruses being downloaded, point being their are some really nasty people out there that finds joy in ruining others entertainment. Apart from that as long as it is not forced on everyone, thinking about future sims releases, then I don't see it as a problem as long as EA do not increase the prices of games to cover it, I personally would not use it but I think if introduced then that's fine, it would be each individuals choice to make whether to use it or not.
    How? I have never gotten a virus from the cloud save. I have Simcity and that is how that game saves.

Yet... :?
  • SweetieTreatsSweetieTreats Posts: 2,668 Member
    edited June 2014
    Gdurma wrote:
    Okay, after reading through every single post on this thread, I have come to the conclusion that most of the people against what the OP suggests, didn't read and understood what she said, and rather, once they saw key words, felt anger so strong that they assumed she was just talking about replacing the old save system.

We get it, you don't want the online save feature to take over the normal local save feature. We don't want that either. What the people that are FOR the online save feature want, is an option to save both to our computer, and to Origin's online save if we are connected online.

Basically, I would assume it would work something like this:

At Bella and Mortimer Goth's wedding, they kiss, and they're eating cake. The animation for cake cutting starts when suddenly the game pauses, and the save prompt box pops up. There are two check boxes: The first that says, "Save to local file" Which, you would check. The second box says, "You are connected online to your Origin account. Would you also like to save to your Origin account?" And if you wanted to, you could check the box, and hit the accept button. You go through the saving time like normal, and then Bell and Mortimer go back to cutting the cake.

If you didn't want your save file to be uploaded to your Origin account, you simply do not select that check box.

I'm for it. Because there have been countless times where my computer will restart for updates, or my power goes out, or my cat steps on my computer power button.. and I have no time to save. This would be a bonus feature to help save your game. So many threads on the forums are titled: "Lost my 8th generation legacy save because..."

It would cut down on those posts by at least half, realistically.

Do I want my local saves to be replaced by an online Origin account save? Absolutely NOT.

Do I want both options, should anything happen to my local file? Absolutely!

Does this option hurt the people that don't want to save their files online? Nope. It only gives them the option to if they would like. It would still allow them to save their games to their PC.
    I enjoyed reading this. It seems like we are on the same page.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited June 2014
    moo11x wrote:
    PLSTRONG wrote:
    To cover costs of storage on their cloud, if it was introduced, you will likely see the price of the expansion packs, etc, go up to cover this so called "free facility". Like a previous person said their is an increase risk of viruses being downloaded, point being their are some really nasty people out there that finds joy in ruining others entertainment. Apart from that as long as it is not forced on everyone, thinking about future sims releases, then I don't see it as a problem as long as EA do not increase the prices of games to cover it, I personally would not use it but I think if introduced then that's fine, it would be each individuals choice to make whether to use it or not.
    How? I have never gotten a virus from the cloud save. I have Simcity and that is how that game saves.

Yet... :?
    You can't get a virus from the cloud unless there is a virus already on the server. I don't think that EA is that stupid and allows viruses on any of their servers when a ton of their games are already online based. Its auto saving anyways how do you get a virus from that?
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • SidyGirlSidyGirl Posts: 133 New Member
    edited June 2014
    I understand the OP wants both options and not just cloud saves, and I think having both options would have its benefits. As long as anytime you actually chose to stop and save, it still created a local save file. It would be nice to not lose progress when your game crashes (unless something you didn't want saved had just happened).

But I think many people are just too scared of EA doing any of the following: that implementing cloud saves will make them move in the direction of basing more of the gameplay online, allowing digital rights management to affect the game, sever problems affecting their access to their saves, or making future versions be cloud save only. After playing SimCity (I know that reference is redundant), but it really made me wary of those things too. I had saves that I had to give up on because I could no longer get onto that particular server. And even though the game had always been a single player game, once they made it an online connected game, they did base a lot of the gameplay around that, with the connected maps and stuff. Which was great for people that like the online aspect, but not so great for people that liked playing the game by themselves.
  • Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited June 2014
    cloud saving hmm that is a concept I never really thought of but, here is a idea I had, we already got cloud to save to just a few things, you can move your my_document folder to the cloud folder on your computer and it will be accessible on all machines in the cloud as long as they are setup that way, this way you got your current save no matter where you go and you can play offline and online, because a copy of it will be in your cloud. I never tried to play play games on a computer like that. In theory it should work for TS2, TS3 and TS4
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
    edited June 2014
    Sid1701D9 wrote:
    cloud saving hmm that is a concept I never really thought of but, here is a idea I had, we already got cloud to save to just a few things, you can move your my_document folder to the cloud folder on your computer and it will be accessible on all machines in the cloud as long as they are setup that way, this way you got your current save no matter where you go and you can play offline and online, because a copy of it will be in your cloud. I never tried to play play games on a computer like that. In theory it should work for TS2, TS3 and TS4
    The Sims 2 and 3, don't use Origin. Also, you don't need to rearrange folders to use Origin's cloud save function. Origin does not require any extra setup to cloud save. You just need to have the Origin client and game installed on the computer that you want to play from.
  • atomic_roseatomic_rose Posts: 790 Member
    edited June 2014
    Sid1701D9 wrote:
    The Sims 2 and 3, don't use Origin. Also, you don't need to rearrange folders to use Origin's cloud save function. Origin does not require any extra setup to cloud save. You just need to have the Origin client and game installed on the computer that you want to play from.

The sims 3 uses origin. I have my games on my windows 7 laptop on origin so that when I am on campus I can play sims 3 on my breaks in between classes if I don't feel like studying or when I am visiting my family who has better internet than I do.
  • peno11peno11 Posts: 192 Member
    edited June 2014
    I would like to have cloud option for The Sims, but there is one problem no one mentioned and what may be main reason why EA doesn't want cloud saving in The Sims 4 (but that's just my speculation and they may have other reasons). Origin only offer up to 100 MB for each game for cloud saving (unless it's MMO game like SimCity). And while that may be enough for majority of games, The Sims games saves easily broke that limit and that would bring up many complainers to whom 100 MB wasn't enough. Of course the solution would be to allocate more space for cloud saving of The Sims 4, but that costs money and EA probably want to invest those moneys elsewhere. Of course this is just my speculation and I may be wrong, but I honestly can't think of any other reason why The Sims 4 can't have Origin cloud saving if games like Plants vs Zombies 1 have it.
    edited June 2014
    peno11 wrote:
    I would like to have cloud option for The Sims, but there is one problem no one mentioned and what may be main reason why EA doesn't want cloud saving in The Sims 4 (but that's just my speculation and they may have other reasons). Origin only offer up to 100 MB for each game for cloud saving (unless it's MMO game like SimCity). And while that may be enough for majority of games, The Sims games saves easily broke that limit and that would bring up many complainers to whom 100 MB wasn't enough. Of course the solution would be to allocate more space for cloud saving of The Sims 4, but that costs money and EA probably want to invest those moneys elsewhere. Of course this is just my speculation and I may be wrong, but I honestly can't think of any other reason why The Sims 4 can't have Origin cloud saving if games like Plants vs Zombies 1 have it.
    That can be an issue if we are stuck with bloated save files again. Although my Sims 3 save files never went over 100mb. The largest I had was 50mb. We won't know how large saves are going to be until the game is released.
    edited June 2014
    Hmm, that's funny. Even my Sims 2 saves were usually above 500 MB and my Sims 3 save currently has 17.6 GB. Admittedly though, I have all EPs and SPs, lot of store content and CC and I love to use "Save as" option to be able to return to my older saves in case of problems (which already saved me a lot of nerves with my game in past).
    edited June 2014
    peno11 wrote:
    Hmm, that's funny. Even my Sims 2 saves were usually above 500 MB and my Sims 3 save currently has 17.6 GB. Admittedly though, I have all EPs and SPs, lot of store content and CC and I love to use "Save as" option to be able to return to my older saves in case of problems (which already saved me a lot of nerves with my game in past).
    Wow, that is a huge save file. On the back of the box, it states a person would need 1GB for both custom content and saves.
  • ReyaStarckReyaStarck Posts: 181 New Member
    edited June 2014
    peno11 wrote:
    Wow, that is a huge save file. On the back of the box, it states a person would need 1GB for both custom content and saves.
    I think what peno11 means is their total save folder size, not a single save file, especially since they mention they like to use 'Save As' so they can return to older saves. I currently have 53 individual saves in my save folder (as well as the .backup files), and that totals approximately 3.08GB. And that doesn't count the tens of saves that I've moved into a backup folder because I'm not currently playing them!

Example: if I'm playing a legacy then the first gen is saved as [legacyname]01. When baby #1 comes along, I save as [legacyname]01a. When either baby #1 ages up to toddler or baby #2 comes along, I save as [legacyname]01b, and so on. Once I shift fully into gen 2, the saves become [legacyname]02, 02a, etc.
    edited June 2014
    Actually, what I meant was the whole Sims 3 folder in My Documents, which saves not only your games, but also all your CC, store content, Sims library, family bin, CASt styles etc., as that defines your whole game. You can't load your saves fully functional if you don't have all your CC and store content saved as well :wink:
  • ReyaStarckReyaStarck Posts: 181 New Member
    edited June 2014
    Good point. In that case I'm up to 22.2GB, if you include the save files I moved to my backup folder, in case I wanted to play them later XD
    edited June 2014
    peno11 wrote:
    Actually, what I meant was the whole Sims 3 folder in My Documents, which saves not only your games, but also all your CC, store content, Sims library, family bin, CASt styles etc., as that defines your whole game. You can't load your saves fully functional if you don't have all your CC and store content saved as well :wink:
    Oh ok. I was thinking in terms of a single saved game.

Of course I am not talking about saving an entire folder of 48+ saves because you can't do that with any game you buy on Origin because of the limited space.

Having smaller saves could be possible since they are going with a new engine for the game. They have remvoed CAS and other features that could cause bloated save game files. If The Sims 3 had cloud saves I could upload 2 saves to the cloud which is a reasonable amount.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    edited June 2014
    @Sweettreat I don't know what you been reading but CAS is still in its CASt which is out
    6adMCGP.gif
    edited June 2014
    MadameLee wrote:
    @Sweettreat I don't know what you been reading but CAS is still in its CASt which is out
    I call it CAS because I like to use somewhat descent English.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    edited June 2014
    MadameLee wrote:

well you aren't using English at all. CAS=Create a sim. CASt=Create a style in a way you spreading misinformation saying CAS isn't in when everyone knows its in.
    6adMCGP.gif
    edited June 2014
    MadameLee wrote:
    MadameLee wrote:

well you aren't using English at all. CAS=Create a sim. CASt=Create a style in a way you spreading misinformation saying CAS isn't in when everyone knows its in.
    As in how things are abbreviated in English. There is no t after style.
  • Kail16Kail16 Posts: 3,051 Member
    edited June 2014
    Buy a flash drive you can get one for like $8.00 and back up your game.
  • AlnairanAlnairan Posts: 2,424 Member
    edited June 2014
    MadameLee wrote:
    MadameLee wrote:

As in how things are abbreviated in English. There is no t after style.

Create A Style

CASt

That's why we use the lower case "t". It differentiates it from Create A Sim. CAS.

And before you ask why we don't use CASim or CASi instead and call Create a Style CAS, it is because Create a Sim came WAY before Create a Style, and was already called CAS by the fans back when we played The Sims 1.
    6724061.png
    Origin ID: Gabby-Abeille
  • Jaline33Jaline33 Posts: 1,167 Member
    edited June 2014
    enkeli63 wrote:
    Jaline33 wrote:
    I agree. I wasn't very sure about cloud saves in SimCity at first. Then a few months ago I was playing (online but by myself and with the Invisible setting on Origin) . . .

I had been playing for about two hours and suddenly, without any warning at all, the power went out. I was devastated because I had made a lot of solid progress in my game.

After about 20 minutes the power came back on and I sadly resigned myself to re-doing all those hours of hard work.

Imagine my surprise - and relief! - when I logged back in and my SimCity game was exactly as I had left it when my power went out.

Believe me, that sold me on what a powerful tool Cloud saves are!

I always play my games (even The Sims 3) while logged in. I do turn my online notifications off but sometimes when I'm playing I think of something I want to know about so I minimize The Sims 3, Google what I want to find out, then close out and get back into my game again.

I never did that in The Sims or The Sims 2 - I always unplugged my Internet unless I wanted to use it for something specific.

Times, they are a-changin' . . . for me, at any rate. :D

LOL

This isn't a good reason to have cloud saves, it's a good reason to have a battery backup surge protector :wink: I always have ample time to save my game and safely shut off my computer whenever there's a power outage :mrgreen:

Cloud saves are only really useful for playing from a different computer.

You are right - I should most definitely get a battery backup surge protector - :lol:

On the other hand, it was still pretty magical to have my game intact after what could have been a disaster :mrgreen:
  • thesims3boythesims3boy Posts: 18,046 Member
    edited June 2014
    It's like the word "optional" ceased to exist from everyone's minds and they don't know what it means.
    edited June 2014
    It's like the word "optional" ceased to exist from everyone's minds and they don't know what it means.
    Agreed.