Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Base game comparisons: TS2, TS3, TS4

So I decided to do up a comparison of gameplay based features that are included in the Sims 2, Sims 3, and Sims 4 base games. If you have something to add, let me know. And no CASt is not a gameplay feature.

TS2:
CAS
Swimming pools and diving boards
Changing tables
Family dinners
Clothing Stores
Wedding arches
Aging
Closed neighbourhoods (closed hood with open lots)
Non playable ghosts
Wants and Fears
Multiple neighbourhoods
Private Schools
Hot tubs
Complex relationships
Taxis
Aspirations
Memories
Aliens
Piano
Custom neighbourhoods
Basements and Foundations

TS3:
Foundations
CASt and improved CAS
Gardening
Open world
Universal aging and story progression
Collecting
Rabbithole lots
Guitar
Fishing
Cars
Swimming pools
Skills
Taxis
One dimensional relationships (one bar)
Moodlets
Lifetime Wants
Wants
Playable ghosts
CAW and CAP
Opportunities
Traits
Young Adults

TS4:
Semi-open worlds (open neighbourhoods within a closed world)
Gardening
Cowplant
Voodoo Doll
Tablets
Bars
Multiple musical instruments (guitar, violin, piano)
Interactions that react to sim emotions
Family dinners
Wedding Arches
Fishing
Aging
Cars and possibly new modes of public transit
Multitasking and improved routing
Mentorship
Complex relationships (two bars)
Microphones (possible comedy acts and/or singers)
Skills
Aspirations
Whims
Memories (can attach emotions to memories)
Jukeboxes
Improved CAS
Emotional deaths
Improved Build mode for building
Traits
Opportunities and events
Different slang for each age group

Comments

• catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,392 Member
    edited June 2014
    You forgot to put jukeboxes under ts4. Jukeboxes were confirmed yesterday at the demo.
  • SusiechanSusiechan Posts: 3,034 Member
    edited June 2014
    You forgot to mention CAS and CASt in TS3 :mrgreen:. CAS was introduced for a first time in TS3, we have bodyshop in TS2.

But you can say more advanced CAS in TS4.

We have story progression and universal aging in TS3.

And we have a closed neighbourhood with community lots in TS2, not sub-hoods (well at least I have never called them sub-hoods in TS2).
  • Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,416 Member
    edited June 2014
    You forgot to put pianos and jukeboxes in under ts4 both have been confirmed. Jukeboxes were confirmed yesterday at the demo.

I put pianos beside musical instruments, but yeah I forgot the jukebox. So thanks cat. :)
    edited June 2014
    Susiechan wrote:
    You forgot to mention CAS and CASt in TS3 :mrgreen:. CAS was introduced for a first time in TS3, we have bodyshop in TS2.

But you can say more advanced CAS in TS4.

We have story progression and universal aging in TS3.

And we have a closed neighbourhood with community lots in TS2, not sub-hoods (well at least I have never called them sub-hoods in TS2).

Oh yeah subhoods didn't come until the first EP. I have the Sims Deluxe on my PC, so I keep forgetting that. I don't really consider CAS to be a gameplay feature. It's a creation tool, but not really something you use when you are actually playing the game, but I'll add it in before more people harp on me for it.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2014
    You should add TS1 and TS2 came with the ability to make our own custom hoods from templates in base game. TS2's were better though. Because if you named any custom hood Serdona? (can't remember) the camera moved across the hood ( when loading) just like the premade ones. :mrgreen: Serdona? was also a custom template but you didn't have to use it because it's camera moved too, just name any of them that name and the camera worked the same as when Pleasantview loads :lol:

TS4: Different Sims have their own age related words/slang etc.
    Assigning emotions to memories, emotional deaths, does this mean we might can have a Sim die of heartbreak if we assigned sad to a memory? Maybe not, but it's ok in stories I guess.

ETA:

TS2: Basements
    First time ever, foundations!

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • simsfan95173simsfan95173 Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited June 2014
    For Ts3: Traits, Young Adults, Opportunities
    edited June 2014
    I think I'm all caught up now. That list is getting pretty long though. :shock:
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2014
    TS4: nope here is some more. Collecting in base.
    Rich rewards in base, unlock new clothes, new stuff etc. :wink: These are different from opportunities. They are player based not Sim based.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • IcySlashIcySlash Posts: 1,070 Member
    edited June 2014
    TS3 also expanded Familiar relationships such as step-parents, half-siblings, Great-grandparents and great-grandchilds. It can't recognize second cousins and second uncles still. That's the max till they can go.
    We don't know for sure if these will be in TS4 as well and i hope so. It's a small thing and we shouldn't go backwards.
  • Vilin213923Vilin213923 Posts: 519 New Member
    edited June 2014
    TS2 didn't have easy basements, had to be done with cheats. Basements had to be done with cheats until World Adventures.
    TS2, had to buy clothes. TS3, all clothes available. TS4, have to buy clothes but they have emotion attachments.
    Umm... Woohoo being a skill in TS4.
  • RockingarollRockingaroll Posts: 183 New Member
    edited June 2014
    TS2 didn't have easy basements, had to be done with cheats. Basements had to be done with cheats until World Adventures.
    TS2, had to buy clothes. TS3, all clothes available. TS4, have to buy clothes but they have emotion attachments.

Clothes don't have emotional attachment that information was confirmed to be false.
  • Vilin213923Vilin213923 Posts: 519 New Member
    edited June 2014

Clothes don't have emotional attachment that information was confirmed to be false.
    Okay, thanks.
  • HannoieHannoie Posts: 752 Member
    edited June 2014
    I'd like to add emotions to TS4 field... ;)
  • RockingarollRockingaroll Posts: 183 New Member
    edited June 2014
    TS4 has diffrent types of drinks
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited June 2014

I thought they said some clothing did? Like higher priced ones affects their moods.