March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Oz is done! New Pictures

KarilynMonroe2KarilynMonroe2 Posts: 1,461 Member
edited March 5 in Nominated Threads
Testers Wanted...The latest version of Oz is uploaded here: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8383974

screenshot_original.jpg

There are some current and progress pictures in this thread and individual lots in my studio as well as some sims to get you started.
a

There are many new lots and some changes to old lots. There are still some lots to build on of varying sizes and I have included an empty 64x64 island lot on the river for the last store set, Amore', just for fun.
Here is a list of most everything I have used in the world. I have all EP's and Stuff Packs but have not used items from them all so you may not need them all.
You must have world adventures or the bridges will be missing!
If you do not have Sweet Treats you will want to give Candy County a Make-over but you won't have to demolish it entirely. It could easily be a Christmas town since the terrain there is (marshmallow or snow) white.
I also made a university area so if you don't have that EP those lots will not have rabbit holes.
Supernatural is pretty important as well.
There is NO CC and NO CAP.

Here is the list of Store Items I used, you don't have to have them for the world to function.
Worlds: I have used some items from these worlds if you don't have them they will be replaced.

Riverview
Barnacle Bay
Aurora Skies
Roaring Heights
Dragon Valley
Midnight Hollow (trees were used in world creation)
Monte Vista (Poppies)
Free Store Items:
Lunar Lakes Crystal Rocks
Explorers Loot
Kalliope's Gifts

Store Venues
The Old Mill
World of Wonder
Deliciously Indulgent Bakery
Grandpa's Grove
Prism Art Studio
Al Fresco Street Market
Le Cinema Plumbob
Duke of Bows Renaissance Faire
Al Fresco Street Market
Gothique Library
Grimm's Ghastly Manor
Tiny Prodigy's Early Learning Center
Regency Arcade
Now and Then Century Manor

Store Sets ( you can look at the individual lots in my studio for exact items)
Make a wish compilation
Technophobe No More
Country Livin'
Faire Folk Outdoors
Sweet Escape Nursery
Faire Folk Outdoors
Mother Russia Set
Glitter and Glam Bedroom
Safari living
Kingdom of Cambodia Bedroom
Full Interior Castle Set
Tudor of Tudors
Palace of Versailles
Farm Fresh Folk Set
New Year, New Kitchen
Steampunk, The Return
Tiki Outdoor Party
More Magic ( magic cauldron and crystal ball)
India Inspirations
Indulgent Living
Bohemian Garden
Le Cirque Esprit
Fortunes Folly Compilation

I also had all of the featured looks installed and may have used a few items from them that were not included in the sets.

Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• SeriphinaFyieSeriphinaFyie Posts: 3,506 Member
    edited June 2014
    Have you considered the lunar lakes rabbit holes instead of CC?
  • KarilynMonroe2KarilynMonroe2 Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited June 2014
    Have you considered the lunar lakes rabbit holes instead of CC?

Yes. I was going to do that and just build the buildings in the EC but I do like the looks of the tall skyscraper rabbitholes. It makes a much more impressive city. A good alternative is to build as high as possible then use the skyscraper toppers from Roaring Heights. I have done one building like that already but that really limits the style.

• BlizzardianBlizzardian Posts: 106 Member
    edited June 2014
    Check out this thread: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/488018.page

With a bit of "cheating" you can build everything yourself and won't need CC or store content. It's a bit tricky but let yourself get inspired. With a lot of details you can copy the Oz style. Surely it won't be 100 % perfect but that way you can make the world playable for people who don't have store content or hate CC. :)
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2014
    Auntie Lynds is the one to see about that as she did a spectacular job with Whoville and we did not have to have any CC either. You just couldn't take and copy the building and try using them in other worlds because they wouldn't be all those Whoville pretty pastels. She is the simmer who did the CAW FAQ.

ETA By the way I saw on another thread you were talking about no roads - well OZ has witches and witches need brooms - the brooms will only fly on the roads.

I know it was a really dumb idea on EA's part but Sims 3 - the whole game itself is based off of the road system and no matter what world I have tested that was roadless - they have ended up failing eventually as the AI keeps trying to trigger things like car pools and the aliens and eventually the game just stops working in a hard freeze. The best roadless world I played the longest was Elle's Moon Valley - it held up beautifully for about 6 real life weeks and then all of a sudden just gave up the ghost. Most of the worlds though don't hold up as well as that one did. But as I said the whole game is configured off of the road system and why so many things require the roads -

Even having horses and horse paths did not help Elle that much because unfortunately sims do not automatically know how to ride a horse. Odd in a world where sims can just jump into a car and drive off - they can't ride a horse. That is by far the moment I banged my head on my desk and asked _ WHYYYYYY!?!

But the minute any career or rabbit hole job gets put in the game - that includes grocery stores, cemetaries, everything where sims can work - the AI is activated to activate the working pool which includes the NPCS and car and bus pools. So that thing stays firing all the time and eventually it is going to hard freeze on you. Sorry it is not what you want to hear - but it is the way they programmed the Sims 3.

Perhaps you can make it in the place of the Egypt or China world - as those now do not require roads or vehicles. Just you would have to remove that world from your game that is used if people want to use the replacement.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

edited June 2014
    I love whoville and also Ellie's world. I've read so many of the tutorials by auntylinds-just don't know exactly how to contact her, she doesn't seem to use her page much :(.
    I am spending a lot of my time researching how to do things.
    I am not totally convinced about the recolorable rabbitholes. I removed some of the lots I used them on to do some re-sculpting and when I went to EIG to place them again they were partially off the lot and when you try to grab the building it comes apart in pieces. It doesn't happen every time but this is a huge problem, especially for anyone who might download the world and then find the EC in shambles! They are really easy to use and recolor though, much easier than doing it with another program.
    My biggest problem has been learning how to recolor items. It is really hard to find the item you need and if it isn't from the store I can't even get my hands on it at all. I have literally wasted entire days trying to find out how to do it. There isn't a good tutorial on recoloring store objects and people who know are not being very forthcoming. They try to point me in the right direction but this is all a huge learning curve for me. I'm sure they have more fun things to do that walk me through it but I really need a step by step, start to finish tutorial on that. So far I only know that I need a minimum of 3 different programs to get it done. It is all very technical.
    As for roads, I agree the witches need them to fly but I would rather see witches walking than taking a taxi! At least the flying monkeys don't need roads to fly!

I have found that using the subway system is actually very convenient. I added them inside little 'train depots' for the Wild West word and all of the sims used them autonomously.

Still, since the world is now a large world- I may do roads. I may also just get the bare bones of the world done and upload it empty. That way others can do what they want with it.

Does anyone know if placing sidewalks side by side (so that it looks like one wide walkway) causes problems?
    I know I am breaking all kinds of rules, LOL...but I want to try and see how special can I make it?

I do also intend to put in a base camp so this can be used as a vacation world. That is how I really envision it. Oz is a place to visit. I might even designate it a future world.

I have found that playing with some of the better NRAAS mods is the only way to go. If you try to play a specialized world like this without one it just doesn't work. It just ends up looking and feeling like every other EA world and that is now what I am after.
    edited June 2014
    Check out this thread: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/488018.page

With a bit of "cheating" you can build everything yourself and won't need CC or store content. It's a bit tricky but let yourself get inspired. With a lot of details you can copy the Oz style. Surely it won't be 100 % perfect but that way you can make the world playable for people who don't have store content or hate CC. :)

Wow that is a really impressive world there!

Here is my biggest barrier, the height limitation of buildings.

I could use the skyscraper rabbit holes and the Late Night buildings, but they are not recolorable. The builder of that world says he built around them and that confuses me, because this buildings are really tall and as far as I know there is no way to build over 5 stories. 5 stories is just very short when you are looking for a city effect.

I would love to recolor the skyscrapers and then just package them with the world but I just don't know how to do it. Maybe someone will help me or teach me how. I have so much building to do. I would love to have some help with that. Problem is I want to use the art deco style buildings and they are store content. Sigh.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2014
    http://www.den.simlogical.com/denforum/index.php?topic=1264.0

http://ts3cc.forumotion.ca/t282-tutorial-recolouring-rabbitholes-by-piddlesam

Both the above help with recoloring RH's and both AuntieLynds posted. The second post is from the site that Aunty Lynds spends all her time at and can be reached the most. It is free to join there and all the members are great people, all very helpful, and long time simmers.

Last but not least you may find helpful info over at the CAW wiki from modthesims. Simsample and Kiwi Tea (or tea and Blues here) have lots of good info there as do many other really great creators and modders. Google it as I don't have the link for some weird reason. I guess I forgot to save it when I updated this browser. Weird.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

edited June 2014
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    http://www.den.simlogical.com/denforum/index.php?topic=1264.0

http://ts3cc.forumotion.ca/t282-tutorial-recolouring-rabbitholes-by-piddlesam

Both the above help with recoloring RH's and both AuntieLynds posted. The second post is from the site that Aunty Lynds spends all her time at and can be reached the most. It is free to join there and all the members are great people, all very helpful, and long time simmers.

Last but not least you may find helpful info over at the CAW wiki from modthesims. Simsample and Kiwi Tea (or tea and Blues here) have lots of good info there as do many other really great creators and modders. Google it as I don't have the link for some weird reason. I guess I forgot to save it when I updated this browser. Weird.

Hi :) Thanks for those links. I have been searching both of those forums for information and have asked some questions. I will check out your links. Maybe they will tell me exactly how to get the store items recolored. Problem is, as I understand it, even if I do succeed, those items, because they have to be "decrapified" will then be custom content and will have to be downloaded by anyone using my world, and I think that is might even be a form of pirating :shock: so...Meanwhile...here is a picture of the rabbit holes I have recolored so far.
    screenshot_original.jpg If anyone uses this mod, they will have to already own the buildings so no pirating going on here :wink:
    edited June 2014
    Darn...I have already used both of those excellent tutorials but they only work on base game stuff.

It is also REALLY hard to find what you are looking, especially when you have all the EP's and stuff packs like me. sigh. I sure am glad I found those recolorable rabbit holes but I am going to have to figure out how to recolor the monte vista wall. I know it can be done. I found someone who did it. He gave a tutorial but he left out the most important part- how to find the wall! LOL When I asked him he didn't remember. He thought Auntielynds had told him. I went in huge circle and came right back to where I started.

But I know I will figure it out eventually. Some smart person will tell me how to do it or I'll figure it out myself :)
    I'm not giving up.
    edited June 2014

:!: Oh my gosh :!: You have filled my heart with JOY!
    This is awesome!!!!!!

I'm so excited I can hardly stand it. :thumbup: :thumbup:
    edited June 2014
    So, i've been building skyscrapers. I have to say recoloring rabbit holes is a lot quicker!
    I have build 2 skyscrapers so far. One is an apartment building and the other is a shell that can be used for businesses. I am going to add a basement to it so a lunar lakes rabbit hole can go in there.

I am worried that the skyscrapers won't show up from a distance like the rabbit holes do. I want to have a nice view of the EC from the yellow brick road...

cbadbac0-c328-012c-7468-0050569428b1.jpg

I have been putting the onion domes on the tops of the towers but they fade out. Is that just because I'm in CAW? I never really thought about it before, but I seem to remember my other Russian set builds showed up from a distance just fine.

I am going to put the towers into a game and test them out. I sure hope the elevators work!
    edited June 2014
    I learned how to make skyscrapers and tested out a few in lucky palms. Here is one example. The screenshot_original.jpg

The short building is the regular 5 floor limit. The taller towers are done using CFE.

They look pretty good close up. About 20 like this and I'll have a decent "city".
    There is one problem. Even even with advanced rendering on high this happens.

screenshot_original.jpg

I am concerned also that having many of these tall towers in one town will cause a lot of lag.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • SandraKBSandraKB Posts: 385 Member
    edited June 2014
    I learned how to make skyscrapers and tested out a few in lucky palms. Here is one example. The screenshot_original.jpg

The short building is the regular 5 floor limit. The taller towers are done using CFE.

They look pretty good close up. About 20 like this and I'll have a decent "city".

screenshot_original.jpg

I am concerned also that having many of these tall towers in one town will cause a lot of lag.

Hello KarilynMonroe2, Awesome skyscrapers you made. I do know if you don't turn CFE back to true before saving, it will turn the walls back to normal. did you make sure your CFE was true before you saved and tested it ? And don't give up, I think you have a great idea. :)
  • SandraKBSandraKB Posts: 385 Member
    edited June 2014

screenshot_original.jpg

Hello KarilynMonroe2, Awesome skyscrapers you made. I do know if you don't turn CFE back to true before saving, it will turn the walls back to normal. did you make sure your CFE was true before you saved and tested it ? And don't give up, I think you have a great idea. :)
    edited June 2014
    SandraKB wrote:

screenshot_original.jpg

Honestly I do not remember but I probably did. The towers are staying as I made them but they just fade out when I zoom out.
    I had an impulsive moment at costco and bought a better computer. I would love to find out if the problem was my graphics card or something but now I have another new problem. I cannot download any of my games from origin! I am working on my world using only the base game. It looks very pretty so far but I cannot edit in game, that part is also borked.
    Probably because I don't have the EP's installed...which made my DT dissapear.
    At least I know its not a bad file and I won't have to start over (please!) but until EA fixes their download issue I won't be able to test in game...I think...
    edited June 2014
    Okay, I am back with pictures.
    What I'm working on: Lots for Quadling Country. This is the southern region of Oz where Glinda lives.
    I'm kind of loosing patience with building houses as I am rather enjoying just being in CAW. I'm going to see if I can raid someone's studio :) (with permission, of course) I need some very small houses in an interesting/old fashioned style. I need a really spooky cemetery and castle (Kiamo Ko) and a mansion for the ruler of Munchkinland as well as one for the Emerald City.

Okay, on with the pictures!

We begin our Tour of Oz in Quadling Country in Southern Oz. Follow the Yellow Brick Road to the this tiny hamlet ruled by Glinda, The Good.

screenshot_original.jpg
    Note: The tower toppers on the castle (from the russia set) fade out as the camera is moved away. I may replace these with regular cone shaped roofs for this reason.
    I need to fill the hamlet with tiny houses and perhaps a few very small shops. Most of these lots are under 15x15 and are rather odd sizes as I wanted a very snug little mountain village with windy streets. I think I am going to also tweek the color of the roads a bit. I want them bright but this is a bit too bright!

Next we have a view of The Land of Oz from Glinda's Castle.
    screenshot_original.jpg
    The Yellow Brick road winds through Oz and will take you to Munchkinland to the North, The City of Emeralds or to the Dark Forest but BEWARE! A witch lives there and she is Very Very Wicked!
    The Entrance to the Dark Forest:
    screenshot_original.jpg
    At this crossroads will be the cemetery and I will be adding more trees. There are 3 extra lots here which I haven't decided how to use. they could be homes for the flying Monkeys or The Winkies, who live in this region and are ruled by the Wicked Witch of the West.
    A view of Oz from the lot where the Wicked Witches Castle will be.
    screenshot_original.jpg

edited June 2014
    The Road through the Dark Forest turns very dark and creepy and leads to the the Witches castle and beyond as it winds through the mountains of the Noth where it leads to the Emerald Mines of Munchkinland.

screenshot_original.jpg

screenshot_original.jpg

Munchkinland itself, like Quadling Country, doesn't have roads but is tightly nestled together and connected by sidewalks through the neighborhoods. They will have access to the roads, (although..there are no cars small enough for Munchkins!)

I am still thinking about this layout for Munckinland. I'm not sure I like it and probably won't know until I have places the houses.

It was really hard making those sidewalks twirl like that, but I will ditch it if It doesn't look right.

See the Emerald Mines? Well right now they are crystals. I need to recolor them green. Wish me luck or tell me how!

That yellow sidewalk ends where the eastern gate of the City of Emeralds will sit. I also need to recolor that green: The stone city wall from Monte Vista.

One last picture of Munckinland before I get back to work:
    screenshot_original.jpg
    edited June 2014
    Today I added houses, plants and trees to Munchkinland.

screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Illyianna2005Illyianna2005 Posts: 895 Member
    edited June 2014
    It's looking really goood, it's a large project but you really know how to build. I remember way back I was going to try building Oz, however I never did because I just don't have the skills. You do have the skills and I'm enjoying looking at your images, amazing job.
    edited June 2014
    It's looking really goood, it's a large project but you really know how to build. I remember way back I was going to try building Oz, however I never did because I just don't have the skills. You do have the skills and I'm enjoying looking at your images, amazing job.

Thank you :) I didn't have any skills either but being determined to get this done, I'm learning as I go. I can only imagine how much faster it will be next time :)

I am trying really hard to keep the store content to a minimum so as many people as possible can play in my Oz, but there are so many store objects that fit so well!

Hopefully it will be done some time in this century!
    edited June 2014
    screenshot_original.jpg

Follow The Yellow Brick Road :)
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,522 Member
    edited June 2014
    Your world is looking great! :) The yellow brick road looks great! It looks nice how you have placed the flowers, plants and trees in Munchkin land. Great platform stage area. Enjoy working on your world! :)
  • CelestiAliCatCelestiAliCat Posts: 1,191 Member
    edited June 2014
    You're making good progress so far! Lovely pictures. :D
    edited June 2014
    Thanks for the comments :) I love getting feedback and especially advice :) I am just learning about all the ins and outs of CAW and there is so much to know.
    I've found out that I used too many plants per chunk and just went in and deleted them all. I am going to have to re-place them in smaller varieties, trying to keep it down to 4 species per chunk. It won't be easy using restraint but if the world doesn't play well, then whats the point, right?
    More pics to come of my pared down landscaping....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top