The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let's be honest: How often did you even use casT

Comments

• Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    edited June 2014
    You are very welcome! :):) Hope to see what you come up with!
  • jonas3333jonas3333 Posts: 240 Member
    edited June 2014
    Constantly. I constantly used CASt.

It became my favorite part of the game alongside of my families growing up.
    The perfect kitchen, the stylized homes, endless clothing options. I'd spend hours and hours just matching colors and going between sites to find the ideal hex code to use. Every house had a different color-coded patterned baby toilet and playbox.
    Events were easy to make with clothing looking original on every sim there. I could easily suggest an era with the patterns and colors used.
    I'd play with CASt day after day, only loving it more until what I believe was my new graphics card bogged it down to the point it was unusable.
    I miss using it now as I wait to one day buy a computer that will happily handle Sims3 with ease.

You're being robbed without CASt as a part of the game. I saw the E3 trailer and laughed my bum off at how vague Rebecca was regarding the gameplay and new "exciting" aspects. *spoiler alert* (There's not much new at all) The only thing I like is the variables for sim creation, but, there hasn't been any information or guarantees regarding genetics and how features will pass down and that scares me.
  • DblondePimpettDblondePimpett Posts: 494 Member
    edited June 2014
    I don't mind the patterns that will be gone, but I REALLY loved the color wheel.

When I wanted to make a decent looking suit for my male sim, I had a hard time finding dress pants that fit the way I wanted. So I ended up taking jeans and recoloring them to match the suit top. It looked so much better.
  • Akila906Akila906 Posts: 1,836 Member
    edited June 2014
    Akila906 wrote:
    I rarely just chance color on anything. I am always changing pattern, texture, and/or material (stone, wood, etc) in CASt. I use CASt dozens of times, every time I play. After 5 years of that, I don't think I'll be able to play the Sims without it anymore.

Doesn't it kind of feel like being given total creative freedom for years with any color you could imagine, then being handed a color-by-numbers coloring book and four crayons?

What a great analogy Jessa! That's exactly how it would be!

And I don't want to have to go back to Sims2 and have to have a dozen of the same couches in different colors and textures and have to worry about downloading a million different meshes just to change hair color, floor texture, wood color, etc.
    michael-jackson-17.gif
  • legendarybitka29legendarybitka29 Posts: 1,185 Member
    edited June 2014
    I use it all the time. It's absence isn't a dealbreaker, though.
  • noddynoddy Posts: 849 Member
    edited June 2014
    GreenCats wrote:
    Cinebar wrote:
    I really don't think it is fair for others who never wanted to recolor anything should judge if CASt is worth the entire game for some

Thank you for this. And yes, it really is absolutely central to gameplay for many people.

I am with you on this one to ,I for one use CASt all the time .
    GreenCats your picture are great I also do that .
    Happy Simming
  • CLM1227CLM1227 Posts: 517 New Member
    edited June 2014
    After playing TS3, I've discovered I have a vastly different sense of style than EA does.

After looking at player creations on the exchange, I have a vastly different sense of style than they do (and theirs is also still different from EA).

I changed textures to match (or not match). I often hated the default textures/materials - especially the rugs (BLERGH!) A lot of items I thought went "together" in TS3 didn't have matching woods. Sometimes, I'd want my windows to have painted laquer or plastic instead of wood frames. Sometimes I wanted brick instead of wood paneling.

While I think I could survive if the patterns weren't so intrusive (Bella Goth's sense of style is ostentatious and I can't stand it), I would DEFINTELY need recoloring options - even inside the pattern. Some of the default contrast colors were obscene.

The one place I didn't use CASt (except for recolor) was clothes. I only re-texture vanilla clothing. If my pregnant sim is stuck in sweat pants, I want the option to make them look like blue jeans with a baby belly band =p And agree with a previous commentor - I almost always went with only one pair pants for the males and simply re-textured to fit what I needed.

I like some pattern in my décor - but EA (in TS3) really over-does the patterning and I don't think there is one default EA wallpaper I have used without re-texturing.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited June 2014
    All the time.

It was a deal breaker for me. I am impressed with the Sims and the little game play I have seen so I have decided to buy it.

I am not sold on expansions and if the store sells recolors I might boycott. If they do that they should have given us a color wheel.

This series is relying totally on the Sims themselves for me. I want to laugh and be surprised by my Sims and their experiences. So far, it is looking good. I just hope the emotions are not overdone...Death by laughter equals overdone in my opinion.
  • SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    edited June 2014
    For all the furniture in a new house, for all the Sims clothes, for the curtains, cars, outdoor furniture.
    All the time. It will be greatly missed by me.
  • SEAKASEAKA Posts: 592 New Member
    edited June 2014
    I'm in the minority here, because I am ECSTATIC it's gone. It was super laggy in my game, yet I continued to use it. My inner OCD would make everything match perfectly and I would spend hours just creating sims, never mind houses! Although I will miss how amazing my houses looked, I just feel so free. Gone are the days of waiting for textures to load. Gone are the days of fretting when my bed cover and curtains didn't match.

I am free! :D
  • ToblieToblie Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited June 2014
    Hardly ever. I am lazy and hate how long it takes to load all the patterns and change everything. I just pick the nicest premade lol I can live without it.
  • Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited June 2014
    I use CAST all the time as well. Creating in Sims 3 is why I play. If I had to choose from only what Maxis creates, this game would be no differnet than the PS version. Click and play is not for me. I want control.
  • webdznrwebdznr Posts: 572 Member
    edited June 2014
    I create and decorate more than play my Sims.. so I use it everyday on everything. It will be sorely missed. I will have to download tons of cc to get the right look as you know they aren't going to give us a lot of color/fabric options. :(
    The Sims 4 :: Think 'inside' the box.
  • ElessieElessie Posts: 19
    edited June 2014
    If I had to guess, I'd say I use it on 99% of the furniture and 90% of the clothing.
  • StarunaStaruna Posts: 417 New Member
    edited June 2014
    I actually use it quite often. It's nice to turn a wood desk into a flat painted white one.

But I could manage without the patterns. What I won't be able to stay is not having a color wheel.

What we get is limited colors in shades we probably don't want. Fantastic.
  • sherrylynn8779sherrylynn8779 Posts: 2,102 Member
    edited June 2014
    I use CASt every time I am in game. I spend hours in CASt. I have a whole load of my own recolors (so in case I want to use it again). I change the pattern/texture/color of everything. Nothing stays the same. EA's idea of style is just plain gross to me. However, some of the patterns look nice in different colors and on different items. I cannot buy a game that limits me like that. I will be sticking to TS3 until they give us the option to CASt. Presets are a big no go for me. I don't want a plastic green couch with yellow plastic polka dot pillows or any other "option" they give us... I want my OWN options.

-So far, most of what I have seen looks like plastic, like they have included a specular layer in everything... BLECH!!!

I am so glad the game playing simmers are getting a better game to play, but that is not what the sims hold for me. I am a long time simmer, and wasn't totally impressed with TS1&2, however when 3 came out I was excited for the ability to be constructively creative, finally. While, 3 has a very lacking game play for many... it is the perfect game for me and I was hoping to "upgrade" to 4 but without having the option to drastically change things... I'll pass, keep playing 3 and wait for it to change or wait until 5 to see if they add it to that one. :P
    My Twitter:: My Facebook:: Gallery Name: sherry_lynn1979
  • FairyLights1FairyLights1 Posts: 759 Member
    edited June 2014
    Quite a bit. Got to the point I didn't feel like playing sims 2 anymore due to it not having CAS.
  • FatCatFatCat Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited June 2014
    CAST is simply brilliant!
    I really enjoyed playing around with it, being creative with it.

I used it on everything I could and in between and loved that I could change
    the look of a whole room in less than a minute. I did that a lot.

Not sure I will buy TS4 without it,
    especially since CAS in TS4 is highly down-graded also =(

But..
    It's very likely they will sell colors and patterns in the store :roll:
    Buy colors and patterns.. lol.
    (But who can blame them, it's not their fault people actually fall for it)

Put dispenser hereanimaatjes-cupcake-13719.gif
  • robotolovvarobotolovva Posts: 23 New Member
    edited June 2014
    Well I almost always change my clothes color and usually the pattern as well. As for the furniture I will be honest here, I literally just discovered I could do this only a couple hours ago and had a BLAST! I will be using it nonstop now. Before when I bought an item I would randomize the color/pattern until I got one that looked ok. I always wondered how people made beautiful places like they did and now I'm going to be one of them!
  • PinkLoveJonasPinkLoveJonas Posts: 442 Member
    edited June 2014
    Honestly, I used it all the time because I like things to match or look really nice and it was a fun way for me to be creative when decorating homes and picking out clothes for my sims.

I will surely miss it and was a little disappointed at first, but I'm not as upset about it as I thought I would be. To me it seems like you'll be able to match things when building better than you were able to in TS1 & TS2. I mean, some of those walls and floors were ridiculous but funny, especially in TS1. No offense to EA because it was amusing. I like what I saw with some of the building and decor options. And at least it will be easier for me to pick and outfit for my sim. I spend a lot of time in CAS.

I understand why people are complaining about the lack of CAST and the loading screens, but they're trying to make the game run smoother which is what people wanted.

The clothes in TS4 don't look as bad in my opinion. Some people may think so, but compared to TS3 base game clothes, we have more options it looks like. And not having CAST will be a lot easier for people that don't like dressing their sims as much but still want them to look nice.

CAST is nice, but takes way too long to load even.
    OriginID: prettypinkpixels

• DrewRowlandDrewRowland Posts: 2,057 Member
    edited June 2014
    I used CASt constantly. If it could be redesigned I would redesign it to suit my tastes. Sometimes it would create lag, but that did not stop me from redesigning stuff. I hated it when little bits could not be changed, and I became obsessed with having things match. The lack of CASt was initially a deal breaker, but now I am on a swingset installed on the fence.

EDIT: The last two sentences I added.
  • TmG0486TmG0486 Posts: 38 Member
    edited July 2014
    every time I played Because I didn't like the way it was designed by whoever did it for the game.
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    edited July 2014
    I use cast for changing patterns every time I'm building or decorating.
  • mangoesandlimesmangoesandlimes Posts: 2,623 Member
    edited July 2014
    CLM1227 wrote:
    After playing TS3, I've discovered I have a vastly different sense of style than EA does.

After looking at player creations on the exchange, I have a vastly different sense of style than they do (and theirs is also still different from EA).

I changed textures to match (or not match). I often hated the default textures/materials - especially the rugs (BLERGH!) A lot of items I thought went "together" in TS3 didn't have matching woods. Sometimes, I'd want my windows to have painted laquer or plastic instead of wood frames. Sometimes I wanted brick instead of wood paneling.

While I think I could survive if the patterns weren't so intrusive (Bella Goth's sense of style is ostentatious and I can't stand it), I would DEFINTELY need recoloring options - even inside the pattern. Some of the default contrast colors were obscene.

The one place I didn't use CASt (except for recolor) was clothes. I only re-texture vanilla clothing. If my pregnant sim is stuck in sweat pants, I want the option to make them look like blue jeans with a baby belly band =p And agree with a previous commentor - I almost always went with only one pair pants for the males and simply re-textured to fit what I needed.

I like some pattern in my décor - but EA (in TS3) really over-does the patterning and I don't think there is one default EA wallpaper I have used without re-texturing.

Oooof, the wallpapers. The EA default color selections are so awful. You can do a lot with the walls that have baseboards, chair rails, and moulding, though. I'm working on a series of apartment buildings to make a really dense downtown area and I'm reusing the same wallpapers over and over again with different colors and textures. The moulding and baseboards add a little architectural detail to sections of brick, tile, stucco, concrete... And then I'm using them on the inside as a painted wall with wood trim.

Screenshot-2.jpg"width=640"

So, yeah, I do use CASt a lot for textures and for colors. I'm still discovering new things to do with textures! Even without using custom CAP textures, I can get almost any look I want.
  • Claire17Claire17 Posts: 655 Member
    edited July 2014
    I spend more time in CASt than I do in live mode.