Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's really new?

In all their talk they keep saying 'For the first time' or otherwise suggesting that what we are seeing is new, when in reality it is all in The Sims 3.

A bunch of Sims in wrestler costumes at a birthday party? Do able in The Sims3.

A Sim arguing and falling out and still be grumpy the next day? Happens in The Sims 3.

Sims being in the park while your played Sim is at home? Happens in The Sims 3.

The Sims 3 has personality traits that affect their behaviour and mood...

The Sims 3 Sims can annoy each other and slowly develop hatred for each other...

The Sims 3 Sims can be annoyed when another Sim does something that conflicts with his/her personality.

The Sims 3 Sims look at each other as they pass by, sometimes acknowledging them...

You can tell stories in The Sims 1, The Sims 2 and The Sims 3... nothing new there.

In fact there is very little in the details, videos and screen shots that isn't in the Sims 3.

The things that are new could very easily be added to The Sims 3 in an Expansion Pack. These include: Slightly tweaked graphics, Multi-tasking of limited things, New Objects and textures, New animations.

None of these things warrant a whole new game, and several things are actually worse in The Sims 4: Hair, Textures and lack of certain objects and options.

When The Sims 2 came out the graphics were an instant hit and improvement over The Sims 1.

Then The Sims 3 came out the open neighbourhood was a vast improvement to the single lots of The Sims 1 & 2, however the graphics were only slightly better in general.

The Sims 4 has no Show Stopping new feature. In fact it is very much add a bit here, take about away there. The graphics are just tweaked, and the 'emotions' seem to be just a different way of doing the same thing.

I just don't see why people are getting so excited... Sure there's new objects and clothes, etc. but come on that's all just stuff that could be added to The Sims 3 in a Stuff Pack or on The Store!

Al in all there is no WOW feature this time...

Comments

• kjoneskjones Posts: 832 Member
    edited June 2014
    I agree with you and am not impressed myself. I would probably be more enthusiastic if EA would be open with all the information about the game. At this point there isn't a whole lot to base an opinion on and I'm not overly enthused about the little that has been confirmed so far.
  • RawrGoesTheCatRawrGoesTheCat Posts: 1,947 Member
    edited June 2014
    In fact there is very little in the details, videos and screen shots that isn't in the Sims 3.

The things that are new could very easily be added to The Sims 3 in an Expansion Pack. These include: Slightly tweaked graphics, Multi-tasking of limited things, New Objects and textures, New animations.

Very little that isn't in The Sims 3? I'm sorry but...emotions, personality, liveliness. TS3 never had any of that. I don't want any of that adding in an EP to TS3, because TS3 is boring, the graphics aren't anything special, and the game is all out boring. You
    The Sims 4 has no Show Stopping new feature. In fact it is very much add a bit here, take about away there. The graphics are just tweaked, and the 'emotions' seem to be just a different way of doing the same thing.

The graphic's aren't just 'tweaked'. I'm sorry but TS4 looks entirely different to TS3. The sims actually have personality, and the emotions play on that.

I don't see why we need all these negative threads. I understand that people have different opinions and constructive criticism is fine, but people are excited because it's a new game, it looks amazing and different from the last Sims game. It's been years since TS3 was release, I don't see what's not to be excited about. It's not your cup of tea as far as I can tell, but for me, this looks just like what TS3 should of been. Focusing on the actual Sims themselves, not just making everything pretty and easy.
  • knh330knh330 Posts: 1,593 Member
    edited June 2014
    The Sims 3 Sims can annoy each other and slowly develop hatred for each other...

The Sims 3 Sims can be annoyed when another Sim does something that conflicts with his/her personality.

But, they couldn't do it indirectly. The only time when a sim annoyed other sims in Sims 3 without interacting with them was if they were dirty, they died, or did something "inappropriate" in their house.
    I was kind of impressed at the fact that one sim doing something because of their mood/personality affects everyone else around them. That seems a bit more realistic to me.
  • anessesanesses Posts: 124 New Member
    edited June 2014
    Then play The Sims 3.
    edited June 2014
    knh330 wrote:

But, they couldn't do it indirectly. The only time when a sim annoyed other sims in Sims 3 without interacting with them was if they were dirty, they died, or did something "inappropriate" in their house.
    I was kind of impressed at the fact that one sim doing something because of their mood/personality affects everyone else around them. That seems a bit more realistic to me.

But you are basing this off of staged gameplay, not live action. I suggest you go back and look at the marketing for S3 and see if that base game was as advertised.
  • girlformergirlformer Posts: 231 New Member
    edited June 2014
    a full blown mood change and actually remembering that sim as annoying is much more progressive than just a moodlet and seeing them getting grumpy once in a while like

seriously
  • Molie86Molie86 Posts: 651 Member
    edited June 2014
    What new mechanic would you like to see that would WOW you. There really isn't anywhere to go rather than the sims themselves and I don't know about you but I was really entertained by the new trailer mainly because they were acting like actual humans and not robots. The new graphics and animations are amazing (look at all the new dance moves).
  • kingkong192kingkong192 Posts: 953 Member
    edited June 2014
    Hmm. I semi agree with you and semi don't. For one the sims in the sims 4 look better and seem to interact way better than sims 3. Even if the sims 3 does have all this, the sims 4 seems like an upgrade from 3 of more dramatic reactions.

I do agree with you on the whats new aspect. The sims 4 just seems like an upgrade on the sims 3 and thats it just the same stuff but better.

I believe that the new biggest WOW hasn't been said and probably won't until weeks before release :D
  • Molie86Molie86 Posts: 651 Member
    edited June 2014
    kjones wrote:
    knh330 wrote:

But you are basing this off of staged gameplay, not live action. I suggest you go back and look at the marketing for S3 and see if that base game was as advertised.
    And you are basing your opinion on TS3 and how they staged a lot of gameplay.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited June 2014
    For starters sims are smarter and don't have routing failure like ts3 sims.

Groups work a lot better in ts4. Your sims group will actually follow them wherever they go.

When sims take pics together on smartphones you can now get the actual background unlike with ts3 were it is blurred.
  • AltarOfWarAltarOfWar Posts: 23 New Member
    edited June 2014
    Due to the "stylized" graphics, what was supposed to be the newest feature was an online feature. My guess is that it was meant to increase latency between people with high & low performance computers.

Then the SimCity fiasco happened, & I can assure you that was no picnic.

-- Angry SimCity(er)
  • knh330knh330 Posts: 1,593 Member
    edited June 2014
    kjones wrote:

I'm being hopeful that that feature will be in the game. I really like it.

But, if that's the case, how can we tell everything we've seen in the gameplay trailer isn't staged? What if emotions have no effect what-so-ever on sims? How do we know if sims can really die of laughter? How do we know if sims can even throw parties? How do we know anything because the trailer was staged?
    edited June 2014
    That's the point! What I saw and what I bought were very different. I don't trust staged gameplay as accurate representation of what the game will really be like. I may be wrong,but past experience has made me a sceptic.
  • simsfan95173simsfan95173 Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited June 2014

Very little that isn't in The Sims 3? I'm sorry but...emotions, personality, liveliness. TS3 never had any of that. I don't want any of that adding in an EP to TS3, because TS3 is boring, the graphics aren't anything special, and the game is all out boring. You

The graphic's aren't just 'tweaked'. I'm sorry but TS4 looks entirely different to TS3. The sims actually have personality, and the emotions play on that.

I don't see why we need all these negative threads. I understand that people have different opinions and constructive criticism is fine, but people are excited because it's a new game, it looks amazing and different from the last Sims game. It's been years since TS3 was release, I don't see what's not to be excited about. It's not your cup of tea as far as I can tell, but for me, this looks just like what TS3 should of been. Focusing on the actual Sims themselves, not just making everything pretty and easy.

You really hate opinions different than yours don't you?

Gotta love people who complain about the complainers!
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2014
    In all their talk they keep saying 'For the first time' or otherwise suggesting that what we are seeing is new, when in reality it is all in The Sims 3.

A bunch of Sims in wrestler costumes at a birthday party? Do able in The Sims3.

A Sim arguing and falling out and still be grumpy the next day? Happens in The Sims 3.

Sims being in the park while your played Sim is at home? Happens in The Sims 3.

The Sims 3 has personality traits that affect their behaviour and mood...

The Sims 3 Sims look at each other as they pass by, sometimes acknowledging them...

You can tell stories in The Sims 1, The Sims 2 and The Sims 3... nothing new there.

None of these things warrant a whole new game, and several things are actually worse in The Sims 4: Hair, Textures and lack of certain objects and options.

When The Sims 2 came out the graphics were an instant hit and improvement over The Sims 1.

Then The Sims 3 came out the open neighbourhood was a vast improvement to the single lots of The Sims 1 & 2, however the graphics were only slightly better in general.

I just don't see why people are getting so excited... Sure there's new objects and clothes, etc. but come on that's all just stuff that could be added to The Sims 3 in a Stuff Pack or on The Store!

Al in all there is no WOW feature this time...

I would say the TS2 Sim could do all that but then it would be explained to me I made it up, but that is the reason I still play it. Because they can and they do. Some are impressed how the Sim that is jogging just jogs right on past the Sim walking head on in the opposite direction. I'm scratching my head on that one, too. Because, hello, TS2 Sims just barely move a foot and never run into each other, and it is very smooth, I don't see the big improvement of the routing there. I don't want to be down about this game, but to be totally honest, I watch most of E3 today as I did some chores and ran some errands and I was more impressed 'today' with the MMOs I saw coming out this fall, and I'm not even an MMO player. I was like going wow, oooh, wow, that looks so real, wow he's right down in my face, wow, he's so real, or their worlds were so medieval and real looking and I was saying wow, oooh that dragon looks so real, wow I might get three friends and play CO OP and I'm not even a co op lover. :?

Then we got to the TS4 'story' gameplay where the guy was mad, and I was like hm..o.k. my TS2 Sims brake out in fights, not new, my TS2 Sim (before it was changed in a later EP) stayed mad for daaaaays, O.k. my TS2 Sim can't die of laughter (I did get the play on words, like when we say I almost died laughing) but she did say she 'was really pushing his emotions) so that told me it's not going to be that easy to kill one just like it's not easy to starve one in TS3.

I didn't see anything today that made me say WOW, OMG< I have to buy this game, but before the TS4 demo I saw several games coming out this fall that I thought to myself, WOW, OMG, I might buy an Xbox One!!!
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • RawrGoesTheCatRawrGoesTheCat Posts: 1,947 Member
    edited June 2014

You really hate opinions different than yours don't you?

Gotta love people who complain about the complainers!

No I do not hate others opinions. I understand that other players may dislike the game, and that's fine. However, I've seen people making threads over and over again about how much they dislike this and that, and frankly it gets repetitive and annoying.

I'm not complaining. I don't see why having different opinions and talking about it is automatically seen as complaining? If your adding nothing to this discussion but to single me out, then please don't bother replying.
  • thesims3andtwothesims3andtwo Posts: 4,643 Member
    edited June 2014
    kjones wrote:
    That's the point! What I saw and what I bought were very different. I don't trust staged gameplay as accurate representation of what the game will really be like. I may be wrong,but past experience has made me a sceptic.

I really hate to inform you of this , but your stabbing yourself in the stomach.
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited June 2014
    So you all say that the sims emotions have affected how they did things in previous games. Name one in the other 3 Sims games where this is indicated. :roll:
  • Lizziemay12Lizziemay12 Posts: 1,178 Member
    edited June 2014
    I think this game is one of them where you appreciate and understand its features when you are playing yourself. Which is a hard thing for the developers to show. I am still waiting for this new amazing feature that will cause every simmer to go buy it straight away. I a.ready have an urge to play it but would still like to see more.

I think we need to see a kind of let's play for it for people to feel better about it.
    Origin Username: LizzieMay +++ New friends are always welcome :)
  • DblondePimpettDblondePimpett Posts: 494 Member
    edited June 2014
    EDIT
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2014
    Still like to know what it will be in, 32 bit or 64 bit?
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • DblondePimpettDblondePimpett Posts: 494 Member
    edited June 2014
    knh330 wrote:
    kjones wrote:

But, if that's the case, how can we tell everything we've seen in the gameplay trailer isn't staged? What if emotions have no effect what-so-ever on sims? How do we know if sims can really die of laughter? How do we know if sims can even throw parties? How do we know anything because the trailer was staged?

Seriously? She SAID, "he just died of laughter" I don't think she would have said he could die of laughter if he couldn't actually die of laughter. She SAID he can throw a party. They have SAID that emotions effect the sims.

Did you not watch the same E3 live feed that we did?
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited June 2014
    Goldmoldar wrote:
    I think that it will be both Goldmolder, since there are two. A 32 bit system and a 64 bit system. It wouldn't be fair to just make it for one or the other. :D
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2014
    sunman502 wrote:
    Goldmoldar wrote:
    I think that it will be both Goldmoldar, since there are two. A 32 bit system and a 64 bit system. It wouldn't be fair to just make it for one or the other. :D
    I sure hope so because if it is 32 bit and using a 64 bit OS will just pose the same problems Sims 3 had. Guess we will know very soon being Sep 2 is not really that far off. Looking at bits and pieces of Sims 4 it is looking really good. :D
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2014
    sunman502 wrote:
    So you all say that the sims emotions have affected how they did things in previous games. Name one in the other 3 Sims games where this is indicated. :roll:

TS1, TS2, and TSM. Not so much in TS3 because all moodlets were mostly happy and bad ones didn't count all that much. In TS1 Sims told you they were not going to do something like skill or go to work if they were too sad, or depressed. This was known to the player by what had happened like a spouse death or whatever, or the Clown was there and they couldn't raise their fun, sleep, eat or anything so they died from being unhappy because actually this all kept their motives too low causing them to starve etc.

In TS2 Sims stayed mad for days, and would start fights, and sometimes if too sad or depressed wouldn't go to work, or skill etc. They would ask you 'can't you see I'm not in the mood?' This could cause a Sim to die because they wouldn't eat, bathe, etc. Low energy, minus hygiene, minus food equaled sure death. Because they wouldn't eat if too sad etc.

In TSM unhappy Sims would not be able to finish a quest in platinum status which caused the player not to be able to unlock rewards like new objects and clothes. Hello, sound familiar? Their mood affected their performance bar. Too many unhappy moodlets equaled failure.

The TS2 Sim was probably the most moodiest though, and the only thing some of us see here is the mood can now be turned into a positive like work out or paint etc. But really my Sims in all three games have always had emotions that mad them do stupid things or not do what they needed to do.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.