Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Autosave

This game could really benefit from an Autosave feature. I just lost 2 hours of progress because the game got stuck in build/buy mode and I couldn't return to Live Mode to save.

I don't think that I would be the only player who would appreciate an optional Autosave feature in The Sims 4. I do know that there are players who wouldn't want their games saved every 5 minutes, in case they want to quit without saving.

There could be different options like: "save intervals" and "ask before saving".

Origin ID: Ogregames64

Comments

• mrsyabosmrsyabos Posts: 223 Member
    edited May 2014
    YES! I'd also like to be allowed to save in build/buy mode. I never understood that.

My game has crashed many times trying to switch to Live mode...
  • Nintendo277Nintendo277 Posts: 304 Member
    edited May 2014
    You're right, why can't we save in Buy Mode? It doesn't make sense!
  • KyliesThoughtsKyliesThoughts Posts: 698 Member
    edited May 2014
    This game could really benefit from an Autosave feature. I just lost 2 hours of progress because the game got stuck in build/buy mode and I couldn't return to Live Mode to save.

I don't think that I would be the only player who would appreciate an optional Autosave feature in The Sims 4. I do know that there are players who wouldn't want their games saved every 5 minutes, in case they want to quit without saving.

There could be different options like: "save intervals" and "ask before saving".

Story of my life. If it doesn't happen in the base game, hopefully they'll put in one of the first expansions...
  • Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited May 2014
    I would definitely like to have an optional autosave. If they can't give an option of how it saves, I think the best solution would be to use Twallan's method; the Save As window pops up on a regular basis. It would be great if we could choose how frequently, like you can with Twallan's mod.
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited May 2014
    What I'd like more is a game that isn't prone to crashing between modes. :)

Anyway, I know a lot of people want an optional autosave. If it's an option, that's all right. But, I don't know how good autosave would be in a series where things can traditionally go so bad so quickly.

For instance, I remember an early simming experience (TS1) where my family had a barbecue for their kid's birthday. The whole party went up in flames, the little girl died, and the mom pleaded with Grim to save her life. She returned as a zombie. It was funny in that tragic Sims way, sure, but I didn't save it. I could see more people disliking autosave than liking it over time.

So, the question about a pop-up that asks you if you want to autosave... well, that could work for some I guess. But would a lot of people really elect to have a pop-up at regular intervals that says "Do you want to save now?" Again, I understand that it would be optional, but I'd probably find it irritating and I'd never use it. What I *can* see as an option that many simmers may like is the ability to turn on Autosave in certain instances and give check boxes or something for those instances, like you can in other games. Say, set the game to autosave when switching modes, etc. Anyway, a lot of people have asked for it. So maybe they'll work on a solution, who knows?
    IHJCfa6.jpg
    edited May 2014
    I'm the kind of the player that loves the story-telling aspect of the game (which is ironic when I realize that I play the most boring way possible). If something tragic happens, like death or cheating, I want to save it; it's a fun story to tell and it changes my game in an exciting way. I would definitely use Autosave and enable it to save every 5 minutes. Crashes really upset me, because I hate doing the same thing repeatedly.

For those that don't want Autosave, that's fine, that's why it should be an option with different settings.
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited May 2014
    I'm the kind of the player that loves the story-telling aspect of the game (which is ironic when I realize that I play the most boring way possible). If something tragic happens, like death or cheating, I want to save it; it's a fun story to tell and it changes my game in an exciting way. I would definitely use Autosave and enable it to save every 5 minutes. Crashes really upset me, because I hate doing the same thing repeatedly.

For those that don't want Autosave, that's fine, that's why it should be an option with different settings.

I agree. Crashes are awful. I'm a storyteller too, but I guess that I like being able to decide if I'm ready for a specific sim to die horribly or not. lol

I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with the option. (I just would never use a pop-up option or an autosave at intervals in a Sims game personally, but I get that some people would). I was only thinking that something aside from a pop-up may work for a larger amount of players. For instance, in some games you can turn on autosave to function every time you enter a dungeon, or something. Or you can turn it off on entering dungeons. I think that in addition to having the option for an autosave at intervals, the option to turn on autosave between modes or while doing other things in the game would be nice.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,282 Member
    edited May 2014
    Autosave is a bad idea. And I'm sure EA has their reasons for not adding in autosave to the Sims games. It is the players responsibility to save their game, NOT EA's job to do it for us. It is easy to remember to save and if people can't remember, then they need to set a timer or a alarm clock to go off at different times. I save whenever I buy something or add on to my Sims houses and when they skill up on their skills. Some people even save their game every sim night. So it's not that hard to remember to save the game.

How would you handle the game if it autosaved at the wrong time? Like say if your Sim died unexpected and you haven't done what you wanted to do with him/her. Would you be able to go back to the time before death and restart your game? I really don't think that would work. What about glitches in the game? How would you know if your game saved when your game glitched? These are all things to think about before asking for something that some people may come to hate in time.

All someone needs to do is either set a timer or an alarm or put up a sticky on your computer to remind you to save your game as it isn't EA's job to do that for us... :wink:
    edited May 2014
    I get what mean; maybe we can set autosave to save for events like job promotions or aging up. I would like that too.
    edited May 2014
    Lisasc360- If I want to save every 20 minutes, that's fine, if you don't want to save every 20 minutes, that's fine too, and that's why I suggested an optional autosave. It would be nice if the game didn't crash at all; in fact, my game doesn't crash frequently. So when it does, it's a big surprise.

You're right, I could easily hit the save button every 20 minutes, but when I'm busy playing the game, it's easy to forget. And I'm not going to set a timer every time.

If you don't want autosave, turn it off, but it's definitely something I would turn on.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    edited May 2014
    lisasc360 wrote:
    Autosave is a bad idea. And I'm sure EA has their reasons for not adding in autosave to the Sims games. It is the players responsibility to save their game, NOT EA's job to do it for us. It is easy to remember to save and if people can't remember, then they need to set a timer or a alarm clock to go off at different times. I save whenever I buy something or add on to my Sims houses and when they skill up on their skills. Some people even save their game every sim night. So it's not that hard to remember to save the game.

How would you handle the game if it autosaved at the wrong time? Like say if your Sim died unexpected and you haven't done what you wanted to do with him/her. Would you be able to go back to the time before death and restart your game? I really don't think that would work. What about glitches in the game? How would you know if your game saved when your game glitched? These are all things to think about before asking for something that some people may come to hate in time.

All someone needs to do is either set a timer or an alarm or put up a sticky on your computer to remind you to save your game as it isn't EA's job to do that for us... :wink:

Considering I just lost two hours of play yesterday, I beg to differ. When I'm having fun it's easy to forget to save. My daughter and I were were taking care of twin babies together and preparing for their birthday party among many other things. I was having fun spending time with my real life child so I wasn't really paying attention to saving in game. I don't expect my game to crash. So when it did and I realized that I had just lost my progress, it kind of hurt. I'd welcome an autosave with open arms.

And not everyone is like you. I don't mind when accidents happen, they enhance the game. There is also a way to save your game, but be able to revert if needed; Main Save and Autosave. So if I am playing in my town saved as Sunset Valley, the game would autosave into an Autosave folder keeping the original intact. When it autosaves again, the previous autosaved file would replace the Sunset Valley file as the latest save and the the new autosave will replace the old one. It's really simple. Many games have been doing it since the 90s. It can be done.
  • bosslaydeebosslaydee Posts: 3,976 Member
    edited May 2014
    No.
    Get into the habit of saving after big important things. Or having multiple saves.

Sometimes one of my sims dies or i mess up their lives and i want to redo. so i just exit and go back to my last save.

• GBA91101Nver4getGBA91101Nver4get Posts: 4,965 Member
    edited May 2014
    lisasc360 wrote:

I agree, the sims series is not the type of game where an autosave feature would be a good idea. There's too many variables that could go wrong during gameplay. If something tragic happens and then the game saves, well you're kind of stuck then. I prefer to save manually so I have control over if lil Susie died, I could save the game or not. All you need to do is to remind yourself to save your game, not too difficult at all.
    Nobody does it better, Steve Jobs you simply are the best RIP 10-5-11
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,282 Member
    edited May 2014
    Mstybl95 wrote:
    lisasc360 wrote:

Considering I just lost two hours of play yesterday, I beg to differ. When I'm having fun it's easy to forget to save. My daughter and I were were taking care of twin babies together and preparing for their birthday party among many other things. I was having fun spending time with my real life child so I wasn't really paying attention to saving in game. I don't expect my game to crash. So when it did and I realized that I had just lost my progress, it kind of hurt. I'd welcome an autosave with open arms.

And not everyone is like you. I don't mind when accidents happen, they enhance the game. There is also a way to save your game, but be able to revert if needed; Main Save and Autosave. So if I am playing in my town saved as Sunset Valley, the game would autosave into an Autosave folder keeping the original intact. When it autosaves again, the previous autosaved file would replace the Sunset Valley file as the latest save and the the new autosave will replace the old one. It's really simple. Many games have been doing it since the 90s. It can be done.

What you are asking for will take up to much space and resources on your computer. This is considered the lazy mans way of doing things. Like I said, it is NOT EA's responsibility to save our game for us, it is ours alone. We are the gods for the Sims and it is up to us to save the game, not EA. You wouldn't depend on someone to go to the bathroom for you because you forget to go when you need to. This it the same as the game. We control the Sims, so therefore we control when we save or don't save. If you can't remember to save then put a bright sticky up on your computer screen to remind you to save. EASY AS THAT... :wink:
  • SimpLyAngeLicSimpLyAngeLic Posts: 153 Member
    edited May 2014
    Autosave ... no, not unless it was after major events, such as a promotion, a wedding, or the birth or adoption of a child. Perhaps as someone else suggested, something similar to Twallan's mod. Something in the options that you can check if you want enabled, and at what intervals, I would welcome something like this. I get involved in my games, especially if I'm building, and while I use the mod, it always is a welcome reminder that if I want to keep what I've accomplished, I should save.

There are always going to be people who would like to use certain features, and people who wouldn't ... which is why these features should be available as options, and not mandatory, that was everyone is happy.
  • Linnyxx17Linnyxx17 Posts: 2,016 Member
    edited May 2014
    i would like what they used to do in the SIms 1. you press the S key and the game would save for you. sooo much easier i miss it :D
    tumblr_mamn3vZ7sj1rgw3q8o1_500.gif

* <3 Just Keep Simming, Just Keep Simming, Just Keep Simming Simming Simming, What do you do? YOU SIM SIM SIM!! <3*