We have a new survey live for you to provide feedback on the new EA forums! Click here to read more.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Neighborhood Options

Remember back in Sims 1 and 2, when you load into a neighborhood, you could pick what house to play with? In Sims 3, I guess they thought it would be easier to already load a previous family and start playing from there. That was a little time consuming.

I hope in Sims 4, we can start off playing any family we want, but instead of a loading screen, be like Sims 4, where it loads, then goes right into where you left off. :mrgreen:
TTOVikb.png
Follow my IGN: Cynquilla

Comments

  • Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited May 2014
    The reason it changed was because TS2 was lot based. You weren't really choosing what family to play, you were choosing what lot to play. In TS3 you're choosing what world to play, because it is a whole world and not just one lot.
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    edited May 2014
    I would like to see the world load on start up like it is when you go to Edit Town and Choose Household instead of loading to the last family played.
  • EzeliaStarpuffEzeliaStarpuff Posts: 401 Member
    edited May 2014
    Callum9432 wrote:
    The reason it changed was because TS2 was lot based. You weren't really choosing what family to play, you were choosing what lot to play. In TS3 you're choosing what world to play, because it is a whole world and not just one lot.

    I don't think you're understanding what I was saying... when you load into Sims 2, you picked a neighborhood then you could pick which lot to play. Same thing with Sims 3. You were picking a "world" or neighborhood to play in, but it loaded whatever lot you last saved on. All I'm saying is, bring back the option to pick whichever house you want to play in when you loaded up the neighborhood.
    TTOVikb.png
    Follow my IGN: Cynquilla

  • Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited May 2014
    Callum9432 wrote:
    The reason it changed was because TS2 was lot based. You weren't really choosing what family to play, you were choosing what lot to play. In TS3 you're choosing what world to play, because it is a whole world and not just one lot.

    I don't think you're understanding what I was saying... when you load into Sims 2, you picked a neighborhood then you could pick which lot to play. Same thing with Sims 3. You were picking a "world" or neighborhood to play in, but it loaded whatever lot you last saved on. All I'm saying is, bring back the option to pick whichever house you want to play in when you loaded up the neighborhood.
    I understand, what I'm saying is the reason it changed is because of the world type. In TS2 you were only playing a single lot, so you loaded up the neighbourhood, then chose a lot. In TS3, the world is open, so you're playing the entire world at once, which means it loads the entire world.

    ETA: The neighbourhood in TS2 was more like a second menu, just a more visual one.
  • NarcissaNarcissa Posts: 811 Member
    edited May 2014
    I hope in Sims 4, we can start off playing any family we want, but instead of a loading screen, be like Sims 4, where it loads, then goes right into where you left off. :mrgreen:

    I hope so too. I disliked how we had suffer through the loading screen to get to the family we might not have even wanted to play, and then wait again to pick the next family. >.<

    It's sooo much simpler to just let us load the 'hood and then let pick who to play.
  • EzeliaStarpuffEzeliaStarpuff Posts: 401 Member
    edited May 2014
    Callum9432 wrote:
    Callum9432 wrote:
    The reason it changed was because TS2 was lot based. You weren't really choosing what family to play, you were choosing what lot to play. In TS3 you're choosing what world to play, because it is a whole world and not just one lot.

    I don't think you're understanding what I was saying... when you load into Sims 2, you picked a neighborhood then you could pick which lot to play. Same thing with Sims 3. You were picking a "world" or neighborhood to play in, but it loaded whatever lot you last saved on. All I'm saying is, bring back the option to pick whichever house you want to play in when you loaded up the neighborhood.

    I understand, what I'm saying is the reason it changed is because of the world type. In TS2 you were only playing a single lot, so you loaded up the neighbourhood, then chose a lot. In TS3, the world is open, so you're playing the entire world at once, which means it loads the entire world.

    ETA: The neighbourhood in TS2 was more like a second menu, just a more visual one.

    ... I know the world was open, but you weren't playing the whole entire world at once. :? You controlled whatever Sims you had on a specific house. You sent them to clubs or stores, yes, but you weren't controlling other Sims around at the time, or changing anything at their destinations. In Edit Town, yea, but you were still changing something on a specific lot. The world around your active household was still going, but you couldn't change or see that other Sims were getting jobs, promotions, having kids. What I'm saying is that have the neighborhood loaded, but have the option to pick a different house without the hassle of "Edit Town" or "change current household." The second you load into a world or whatever, you could pick whatever house to play in and it would load into it. Not load into a world and into the current household you left off from last time.
    TTOVikb.png
    Follow my IGN: Cynquilla

  • Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    edited May 2014
    Loading screens in TS2 went by FAST. Like I mean lightning fast. In two clicks and five seconds later I was at the house. In TS3, loading screens got worse every EP and SP that was installed(Which is understandable) but I kind of like the ts2 setup where you could select different families in one neighborhood without having multiple saves. But TS3 was great with the open world and with the more fluent animations and movements in the game, I don't think there will be anymore lag :)
    1FKDfKj.png
  • EzeliaStarpuffEzeliaStarpuff Posts: 401 Member
    edited May 2014
    EAfan99 wrote:
    Loading screens in TS2 went by FAST. Like I mean lightning fast. In two clicks and five seconds later I was at the house. In TS3, loading screens got worse every EP and SP that was installed(Which is understandable) but I kind of like the ts2 setup where you could select different families in one neighborhood without having multiple saves. But TS3 was great with the open world and with the more fluent animations and movements in the game, I don't think there will be anymore lag :)

    Yeah, Sims 3 had sooo much to load so it took a while. I just sat there, cleaning my nails while the game loaded. I mean it was convenient to load the neighborhood and teh family at the same time, sure, but I want the neighborhood to load just as quick, but show the world, and play a nice tune while you decided which Sims to torment...I mean play with. 8)
    TTOVikb.png
    Follow my IGN: Cynquilla

  • Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited May 2014
    Callum9432 wrote:
    Callum9432 wrote:
    The reason it changed was because TS2 was lot based. You weren't really choosing what family to play, you were choosing what lot to play. In TS3 you're choosing what world to play, because it is a whole world and not just one lot.

    I don't think you're understanding what I was saying... when you load into Sims 2, you picked a neighborhood then you could pick which lot to play. Same thing with Sims 3. You were picking a "world" or neighborhood to play in, but it loaded whatever lot you last saved on. All I'm saying is, bring back the option to pick whichever house you want to play in when you loaded up the neighborhood.

    I understand, what I'm saying is the reason it changed is because of the world type. In TS2 you were only playing a single lot, so you loaded up the neighbourhood, then chose a lot. In TS3, the world is open, so you're playing the entire world at once, which means it loads the entire world.

    ETA: The neighbourhood in TS2 was more like a second menu, just a more visual one.

    ... I know the world was open, but you weren't playing the whole entire world at once. :? You controlled whatever Sims you had on a specific house. You sent them to clubs or stores, yes, but you weren't controlling other Sims around at the time, or changing anything at their destinations. In Edit Town, yea, but you were still changing something on a specific lot. The world around your active household was still going, but you couldn't change or see that other Sims were getting jobs, promotions, having kids. What I'm saying is that have the neighborhood loaded, but have the option to pick a different house without the hassle of "Edit Town" or "change current household." The second you load into a world or whatever, you could pick whatever house to play in and it would load into it. Not load into a world and into the current household you left off from last time.
    No, you were playing the whole world at once. You were not controlling every Sim yourself, but they were all being controlled. In TS2 only the household who live on the active lot were being controlled. That's the reason why it changed.

    Like I said, TS2's neighbourhood view was actually more like a second menu, because the neighbourhood was only there for visual effect. In TS3 it's a completely different setup, the neighbourhood is actually functional.

    I'm not saying it isn't possible to have TS2's loading layout with an open world, because I really don't know. I'm just explaining why it was changed.
  • pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    edited May 2014
    I wish there was an option to load my last save, so I could just click the icon, go do something and come back to the game fully loaded and paused.
  • EzeliaStarpuffEzeliaStarpuff Posts: 401 Member
    edited May 2014
    pguida wrote:
    I wish there was an option to load my last save, so I could just click the icon, go do something and come back to the game fully loaded and paused.

    That would be awesome and a huge time saver.
    TTOVikb.png
    Follow my IGN: Cynquilla

  • pguidapguida Posts: 7,481 Member
    edited May 2014
    EAfan99 wrote:
    Loading screens in TS2 went by FAST. Like I mean lightning fast. In two clicks and five seconds later I was at the house. In TS3, loading screens got worse every EP and SP that was installed(Which is understandable) but I kind of like the ts2 setup where you could select different families in one neighborhood without having multiple saves. But TS3 was great with the open world and with the more fluent animations and movements in the game, I don't think there will be anymore lag :)

    No, that's not true. If you play in today's computers, yes, but back in 2004, 2005, 2006, they took a while. After a few EPs, it was 5-10 minutes to go to a lot downtown.

    Leaving home was unbearable.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited May 2014
    pguida wrote:
    EAfan99 wrote:
    Loading screens in TS2 went by FAST. Like I mean lightning fast. In two clicks and five seconds later I was at the house. In TS3, loading screens got worse every EP and SP that was installed(Which is understandable) but I kind of like the ts2 setup where you could select different families in one neighborhood without having multiple saves. But TS3 was great with the open world and with the more fluent animations and movements in the game, I don't think there will be anymore lag :)

    No, that's not true. If you play in today's computers, yes, but back in 2004, 2005, 2006, they took a while. After a few EPs, it was 5-10 minutes to go to a lot downtown.

    Leaving home was unbearable.
    Yep and my computer was pretty bad when Sims 2 was out.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited May 2014
    ... I know the world was open, but you weren't playing the whole entire world at once. :? You controlled whatever Sims you had on a specific house. You sent them to clubs or stores, yes, but you weren't controlling other Sims around at the time, or changing anything at their destinations. In Edit Town, yea, but you were still changing something on a specific lot. The world around your active household was still going, but you couldn't change or see that other Sims were getting jobs, promotions, having kids. What I'm saying is that have the neighborhood loaded, but have the option to pick a different house without the hassle of "Edit Town" or "change current household." The second you load into a world or whatever, you could pick whatever house to play in and it would load into it. Not load into a world and into the current household you left off from last time.

    When you loaded a Lot in TS2 you were loading a game save. When you load a World/ Neighborhood in TS3 you are loading a game save. In TS3 you aren't loading the lot or the family you are playing, you are loading a saved game, which happens to be the entire World/ Neighborhood.

    Doing the way you want it - load a world and then load a lot - would actually take MORE time to load than it does now. You may not remember this, but that is the way it worked in TS2 - first you loaded the World/ Neighborhood, then you loaded the Lot and you had to wait each time. In TS3 by loading only once, you actually save time.

    The reason that you remember TS2 loading screen going by fast might be that your system beat the specs by a wide margin and you don't have the same advantage with TS3, which uses a lot more resources. I remember TS2 loading screens being very slow and cumbersome, especially when I changed lots.

    Besides, with Story Progression I don't understand why you'd want to play multiple families in the same neighborhood. In TS2 you could control what those families were doing while you were playing some other family - in TS3 you can't. You might be trying to play both families A and B, but while you are playing family A, family B ages and may even move out of the neighborhood. I don't see the allure, but that might just be me.

  • girlformergirlformer Posts: 231 New Member
    edited May 2014
    ...Wait, what? I'm confused. Isn't this all possible already? Like when I load a save file it's already focused on one family but then I just go to edit town and change the active household. There's no loading screen in between those things.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,965 Member
    edited May 2014
    Callum9432 wrote:
    The reason it changed was because TS2 was lot based. You weren't really choosing what family to play, you were choosing what lot to play. In TS3 you're choosing what world to play, because it is a whole world and not just one lot.

    I don't think you're understanding what I was saying... when you load into Sims 2, you picked a neighborhood then you could pick which lot to play. Same thing with Sims 3. You were picking a "world" or neighborhood to play in, but it loaded whatever lot you last saved on. All I'm saying is, bring back the option to pick whichever house you want to play in when you loaded up the neighborhood.
    I understand what you are trying to say. There is no clear answer on why EA/Maxis chose the way you load the family you want. I know that you can save different families and load them as well and I can't really remember if you save different families in Sims 2 being I hadn't played it in a long time.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,965 Member
    edited May 2014
    EAfan99 wrote:
    Loading screens in TS2 went by FAST. Like I mean lightning fast. In two clicks and five seconds later I was at the house. In TS3, loading screens got worse every EP and SP that was installed(Which is understandable) but I kind of like the ts2 setup where you could select different families in one neighborhood without having multiple saves. But TS3 was great with the open world and with the more fluent animations and movements in the game, I don't think there will be anymore lag :)
    If your computer specs was optimal you got into your game fast and if not it took longer,I do remember seeing posts where people was complaining about loading times. In Sims 2 my loading time was 1 min and a half and in Sims 3 it could take up to 1 min and 30 secs to 2 mins at times. However, with Sims 3 you are loading worlds so it will take a bit longer also it involved just more than you family whereas in Sims 2 you was loading a quarter of a block.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top