Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Mac User's Best Friend!/PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING ANY NEW PROBLEM THREADS!!!!!!

Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
edited March 8 in Nominated Threads
First of all, I'd really like to thank BlueBellFlora for all the work, time and patience that she has put into researching and putting together many tips and tricks for the Mac users. This is a Mac user's Best Friend. Read this thread before posting any problems and I'm sure you'll find an answer to your question or concern. Caspinwall, itsaprilXD and tamalinn also have contributed to this thread and many guides other as well.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/658546/latest-mac-help-threads-guides-please-start-here-before-posting-a-problem-updated-27-07-14/p1

The next thread is from caspinwall and details problems and solutions with using Origin. Yes, Origin does work on the Mac side. Yes, it is your best friend if you lose your disk and have registered your game. If there is a problem with a game not showing up in your Origin account and you have registered it, you will need to contact EA support.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/727857/collecting-information-about-origin-on-mac/p1

And lastly not to toot my own horn, here is a thread about how to patch your game correctly and safely. I am patched to the current patch 1.67 and run all of the EP's and SP's as well as a lot of Store items and sets. My game is stable and runs fine. I haven't tried to run it on high graphics settings lately, but I'm sure it will run fine.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/740366/how-to-update-your-game-when-a-new-patch-is-released#latest

We have another thread here that may help with the Disk Authentication Errors that several folks have had. It leads to the EA Help Forums.

http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/MAC-Disk-Verification-Error/m-p/3106024#M163986

If you are trying to play Sims 3 on a newer Macbook, here is a list of the new Macs which have the Iris Intel Graphics cards. Please be advised that Sims 3 does NOT recognize this brand of graphics card and you may experience weird graphics or the game may not start at all. There is a workaround since Sims 3 will never be updated again.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/840249/macs-that-have-intel-iris-graphics#latest

So Mac users, join me in thanking these wonderful people who have researched and tested these solutions. I know I really appreciate all their hard work and time to write these guides. :D

EDIT as of April 2018:

Newer MacBooks have a hard time running this game with all the EPs/SPs. You can maybe run with the Base Game and a couple of EPs installed. Be warned that Seasons and Pets are usually the two that will give you the most trouble due to the intense graphics these EPs offer.

Since the release of El Capitan (Mac OS version), physical disks will no longer be recognized. You will have to play the digital version of the game through Origin. If you are the original owner of the disk, you can register the CD key at Origin for free and your digital copy will appear in your library. No need to repurchase the game.

If you find that the game does not run as you hoped on the Mac OS, try Bootcamping your Mac and running it through the Windows OS.
Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited April 2014
    You're absolutely welcome, although I find myself getting more impatient than helpful these days!

My game has always run pretty smoothly. I've had a few hiccups but nothing I haven't managed to sort out. I have all EPs bar Showtime and most SPs so my Mac is really having to work hard. So long as I purge RAM, everything is fine :) That's why I started the guide, so people could try things out for themselves which I know should help.

BUT, most importantly, thank YOU Tremayne for being on here regularly and answering so many posts. You're the most helpful of all of us and have the patience of a saint :)
    apple-signature.png
  • tamalinntamalinn Posts: 1,435 Member
    edited April 2014
    Oh, wow, thanks! I have to say that I spend a lot of time reading from links in the Here's How to Make the Sims Work on a Mac thread. I feel like I direct folks to that thread and your patching thread, too. And while launching the game used to give me such grief that I almost hated to do it, since learning from itsaprilXD how to bypass the launcher, I get excited to play because I know the game won't crash before it's even booted! Thanks to all of you, I finally got my game working, and it's a joy to play again!
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    edited April 2014
    I bypass the Launcher always on my Mac side. If I want to install CC using the Launcher, I go to the Windows side in Parallels. Because it's using the same Sims 3 folder for both OS, it works perfectly! :wink:

But I only use the Launcher to install CC, then flip back to the Mac side to play.
    edited April 2014
    I bypass the Launcher always on my Mac side. If I want to install CC using the Launcher, I go to the Windows side in Parallels. Because it's using the same Sims 3 folder for both OS, it works perfectly! :wink:

But I only use the Launcher to install CC, then flip back to the Mac side to play.

Genius! 8)
    apple-signature.png
    edited April 2014
    :oops: I am?
    edited April 2014
    *bumping back up front*
    edited April 2014
    *Front page*
  • caspinwallcaspinwall Posts: 916 Member
    edited April 2014
    Tremayne you are such a sweetie :)

I absolutely would like to join you in saying thank you to all the Sims players who take time to help each other.

:)
    GeneralSig_SF_03.png
  • itsaprilXDitsaprilXD Posts: 642 Member
    edited April 2014
    Ooooh *blushes*. Thank you hehe.
    I try to be helpful. Most of the time my advice is just from what I've done to get my game working.

Thank you to everyone else for helping others too :D I'm sure we would all be having a hard time even getting the game to open if it weren't for all of your combined efforts here :D
    edited April 2014
    That is true. I was one of the folks on the Mac forums back for Sims 2. When Sims 3 was first released, my old Mac wouldn't run it (I still had a G5 that rans Sims 2 wonderfully). It died March 2013 after 9 or 10 years of faithful service and I did cry a lot. However, I had Sims 2 backed up on Time Machine and when I got my new iMac, it was like I never had lost the game. I bought Sims Medieval and had a blast so I decided it was time to dive into Sims 3. I do play all three and have fun. But that's what games are for right?

Again thanks to all of you for your help, patience and taking the time to write up the information. :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    edited April 2014
    *To bump back to the first page*
  • 5W33TH34RT5W33TH34RT Posts: 323 Member
    edited April 2014
    My year without Sims (after Seasons) was a bummer :( I've been playing on a Mac since TS1. Now I can play again! A big thank you to everyone who helped/comisserated/made that possible.
    edited April 2014
    A gentle reminder.
    edited May 2014
    Very seriously folks, these threads truly are a Mac User's best friend. The instructions are written in easy to understand terms so that you do not have to have a degree in computer science to follow them. Follow them and you really will have a stable, fairly problem free game.
    edited May 2014
    I'm guessing that people cannot read, so I'll bump this to the top again. Seriously, these are the three best threads in this forum and if you follow the advice you will run a basically trouble free game.
    edited May 2014
    Bumping to the top again.
    edited May 2014
    I mean really do I have to label this in large fonts with big red letter and neon signs? Seriously, these three threads can help you solve any problem with your game.
    edited May 2014
    Sorry Gang, I had to relabel this thread so people would read it. But I really do thank you all. :mrgreen:
  • itsaprilXDitsaprilXD Posts: 642 Member
    edited May 2014
    Unnecessary bump (since it's already at the top), but some things are just getting frustrating to keep repeating (no offence to anyone of course, we do offer up the help).

Although, I do love scrolling through posts to see if I can offer any advice (most of the time I get to it about 2 days later), and replies are just links, not even explanations, just links. It makes me laugh :p

But seriously people, READ THE MASTER POSTS FIRST!
    edited May 2014
    Yep. I simply cannot be bothered anymore. If people can't help themselves then I can't be bothered to help them.
    apple-signature.png
    edited May 2014
    Ok people, because you are too lazy to read these three threads which can really help you keep your game running smoothly, I'm resorting to large fonts and bolding to state this. Read the three threads included on the first page. They will help you solve most any problem in your game. If you honestly try and nothing works and you tell us what you tried to do, we will answer you and help you out. But when we see the same thread resurrected from like two years ago or a new post with a problem that already has been solved a million times before we get irritated. So if this seems like I am upset and irritated, I AM!

On the old Sims 2 Mac section, no acted like entitled little brats too dang lazy to read the threads to find solutions to their problems. So grow up and read these threads BEFORE posting. Thank you.
    edited May 2014
    Ok people, because you are too lazy to read these three threads which can really help you keep your game running smoothly, I'm resorting to large fonts and bolding to state this. Read the three threads included on the first page. They will help you solve most any problem in your game. If you honestly try and nothing works and you tell us what you tried to do, we will answer you and help you out. But when we see the same thread resurrected from like two years ago or a new post with a problem that already has been solved a million times before we get irritated. So if this seems like I am upset and irritated, I AM!

On the old Sims 2 Mac section, no acted like entitled little brats too dang lazy to read the threads to find solutions to their problems. So grow up and read these threads BEFORE posting. Thank you.

BUT MY PROBLEM IS SO MUCH MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANYONE ELSE'S

..... on a serious note, completely agree Tremayne :thumbup: I've had to ignore this forum for a couple of days because it drives me insane.
    apple-signature.png
    edited May 2014
    Thanks BlueBellFlora. :mrgreen: Bumping to the top again.
    edited May 2014
    To the top!
    edited May 2014
    Because honestly, if you bothered to read this one thread it would stay at the top and you could solve 99% of your problems without reposting the same stupid posts we see nearly every day.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top