Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gardening after winter and dormant plants

Hi again. :D

Is gardening in the spring the best way to avoid dormant plants? Is it a bad idea to garden in winter? And speaking of dormant plants, is there a way to revive dormant plants? The Sim that I plan to have garden has mastered the gardening skill.

I've never paid much attention to the gardening skill.

Comments

• blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited May 2014
    My plants go dormant just before winter snow and stay that way until half way through Spring. I've never been able to revive dormant plants. Either they do it on their own or they die and I dispose of them.
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • FuzzySlipers45FuzzySlipers45 Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited May 2014
    I'd say Gardening in the summer is the best way to avoid dormant plants, I think it has more to do with temperature than with the actual season.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited May 2014
    Plants are dormant due to freezing temperatures. I've had them switch back and forth daily as the temperature fluctuates in Spring and Fall. (I currently use NRaas Tempest to change the temperature range for Spring and Fall to keep it above freezing, partly because so much gardening in the year is lost to dormant plants.)

I don't think it matters when you plant. When the temperature rises above freezing the plants will continue their life cycle. For a long time in one of my games I noticed that occurred around 5am.

Eventually the plant will die when it's grown all the harvestables it will ever produce and your only option will be to dispose of it. I don't think dormancy affects how many harvestables that will be.

The only way to avoid dormant plants is to grow them indoors using planters, soil rugs, or just on the ground. If you move a dormant plant indoors it should go back to normal the next morning or (supposedly) the next time you load your game.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    edited May 2014
    I've had plants go dormant and revive though the ones that go dormant while in harvest get stuck and have to be debugged to the next life stage with NRaas debugenabler.I've done that a few times to fix stuck plants and it really works.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • secretuk1965secretuk1965 Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited May 2014
    The cold weather is what sends the plants dormant, I usually have the pot holders from supernatural with the plants I want to harvest regular in my sims basement, these do not go dormant at all only the tree plants like apple , lemon which you can't put in pot holders.
  • Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,898 Member
    edited May 2014
    So the fact that my Sim is level 10 gardening doesn't matter?

that's unfortunate. :(

Edit: I might just disable winter because I want this Sim to garden and I don't want winter interfering with that plan.
  • Bily_jednorozecBily_jednorozec Posts: 1,574 Member
    edited May 2014
    I've also disabled winter too + using NRaas DebugEnabler for force plants to next growth state (works also for money tree too) or reset them. So handy for Onnis Plant blocked after been feeded with Supernatural and Showtime fish! I'm using DebugEnabler also too sometimes for deweeding or fertilizing plants (when there are few and I won't that my sim begins harvest all 100 plants present on the lot).
    I have gardening station, but this will not push all plants in the next growth state (for me don't work ex.: money tree) and tractor too (but sometimes I need to work only at one plant). Debug enabler is also checking validity of my tractor tracks without unpausing game. :D
    The cold weather is what sends the plants dormant, I usually have the pot holders from supernatural with the plants I want to harvest regular in my sims basement, these do not go dormant ....
    thank you for this observation, I'll try it too: some plants were dormant in my game too with original fixed store greenhouse (now I'm modyfiing greenhouse roof pieces for to be visible in map view and I can't say, how it will work after).
    "My Studio" on thesims3.com "My Blog" on thesims3.com
    Sorry for editing my comments frequently, in most cases I'm doing this due language issues (english isn't my native language, but I'm using english, because most used by people, with who I want to communicate).
  • SmileySimmerSmileySimmer Posts: 30 Member
    You can create a glass house with the new glass roof that came with the seasons pack. That'll keep all your summer, autumn and spring plants alive during winter. However, I can't figure out how to keep winter plants from going dormant during summer...
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    You can create a glass house with the new glass roof that came with the seasons pack. That'll keep all your summer, autumn and spring plants alive during winter. However, I can't figure out how to keep winter plants from going dormant during summer...

@SmileySimmer, I think you're thinking about TS4 Seasons EP as TS3 Seasons EP don't have the glass roof pieces... ;) Plus this is an old TS3 thread about the plants going dormant and was created before this site was even created... ;)

The Sims 3 store has a greenhouse that players can buy to have a greenhouse. Or they could just build their own greenhouse using the soil rugs and the glass floor tiles that came with the Into the Future EP.
  • EA_CianEA_Cian Posts: 1,359 EA Staff (retired)
    As noted, this thread's a bit old. While I always appreciate the willingness to help, let's please be mindful of when a thread was last active before we hop on.
    ~my hair color is frequently changing, so my Sim reflects that~

Have questions about necroposting? Check out our Necroposting thread.

Bugs/Issues should be posted on Answers HQ, learn more over on Update on The Sims 4 Help Center.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top