Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Now & Then Century Manor is Live!

Comments

• Options
    shakeninsaneshakeninsane Posts: 518 Member
    edited May 2014
    Aha, thanks for clearing that up!
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited May 2014
    BEAUTIFUL! I like how you used the new pieces and the entire room is just gorgeous. I need to go find that lot in your Studio!

Zoo

Thank you! :oops:

I'm pretty happy with that lot, I felt it worked out quite well at the time. When I was trying the stairs I had a few ideas about how to improve it, so I need to revisit it really. I'm terrible, I'm never quite happy with anything and I'm always going back over things. Especially when we get nice new build/buy things to update them with! :lol:
    5bb48k.jpg
    Wow! I love this idea!!! :shock:

REALLY?! :shock:
    Thanks! :mrgreen:
    It's gone though..my game crashed before I could even bulldoze. Dumb player-wall. It's always a 50/50 gamble. :roll:
    Have to try a new one soon.

I was wondering what it would look like using the cups on the chains, but hanging them from the pavilion thingie from the Boardwalk venue. I'll have to try and remember to try it! :D
    I REALLY wanted to try inverting the sweeping stairs, so that two sets of stairs swept towards each other. So, just as a quick test, I added the curved bits to my Phantom Opera House (which is in my studio if anyone wants it). I love them!!! I think they're wonderful!!!

Screenshot-103-1.jpg
    :shock: FANTASTIC idea!
    *steals idea & runs...*
    :mrgreen:
    *comes back, gives idea back...looks for finished lot* :oops: :cry:
    (I REALLY can't build these houses...maybe one day :lol:

IF you want proof I am "building impaired", THIS is what I have been doing for past 2 days...It's sims version of roadkill...I call it possibly "overkill"? :oops: :lol:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/114872458@N08/sets/72157644501242045/
    (I will not be responsible for anyone dying of laughter) :mrgreen:

Hee hee! Steal away! :D

Just to clarify: it's my Phantom Opera House, it's a Showtime venue with secret passageways and traps beneath it. The old version is in my studio. I haven't finished updating it with the Now&Then stuff yet. :)

You're not building impaired! :lol: Your wacky waterpark looks great so far! A lot more interesting than the boxy thing I was attempting the other week! My over-ambitious plan was a festival lot with an aquarium, and during the summer festival a rollercoaster would go through the aquarium. I mis-judged how tricky it would be though! It's not so much that the roller-coaster is hard to work with, more that it's hard to build anything pretty around it. :? I need a bit more practice before I'll make anything worth sharing pics of! :lol:

I love Cinderellisim's adventure, and that pic above in particular! It's so creepy! And then she ends up chatting away. :lol:

I'm glad you like my Addams Family build and thank you for the compliments! I would also love it if they gave us modular curtains.

I love how you inverted the stairs! They look awesome!

Glad you liked Cinderelli-sim's adventure! She always seems to be the one sim that gets into tricky situations! :lol:

I loaded up the game last night intending to carry on playing with her, but got distracted! :XD: I'm terrible at building starter homes, I find it impossible! So, I keep trying and failing because they're always too expencive. Even Cinderelli's haunted beach house is well over the 16,000 simolean budget. *cries*

But I had a bit of a brainwave/diabolical plan last night! I have a little housing estate thingie of bungalows (which were meant to be starter homes but ended up being about 35,000. :roll: ). By looking at real floor-plans of bungalows for sale in my area I managed to squeeze two on a single lot, similar in style to the old ones but semi-detached instead of detached. By using the Late Night apartment room markers on the attached bungalow it brought the price right down and I managed to make a 16,000 simolean one! YAY! :D I'd used some of the new build items, like the pretty stained glass windows and iron railings. So, I copied the lot and made a run-down version with the broken doors and windows. It's super cheap! I left the house attached all pretty, the idea being that the cheap house is the 'scruffy' house on the block. I'm going to move in some of my sims, their story being that they've had a bit of trouble and had to make a fresh start but have next to no money. I forgot to take pictures though. :cry:

So I only had a minute to play with Cinderelli-sim again. She was still exhausted! And starving! So I sent her to the woodland/camping area where she picked and ate some berries and stole someone's tent! :D

Screenshot-105-2.jpg

As soon as I realised the curved pieces were separate I wanted to try inverting them! :D

edit: fixing quotes
  • Options
    Tiki5872Tiki5872 Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited May 2014

Zoo, your tower looks amazing! I'm so glad you shared this with us, as I wanted my Addams Family to be able to use the tower, but was willing to forgo that in order to have "the look". You're so clever! Your stained glass windows are awesome too! It amazes me how you figure out all these neat things!

Thanks, Double L! I have been making more fake stain glass today. I will be putting some photos up in my Zoo U homework thread.

Zoo

Zoo, will you, or do you have a class/tutorial on how you do this?? This is such an awesome idea, and I am always looking for new ways to freshen up my builds! :D
    NewBanner.jpg
    Origin ID: Tiki5872
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    edited May 2014
    Momboqueen, you're welcome. :lol:

Diane Taylor, I always lose my keys, etc. and I find them in the dinning room. It's funny I'll even find the remote control in there occasionally. :lol:
  • Options
    TheZommbieTheZommbie Posts: 712 New Member
    edited May 2014
    does Mighty Mansard Straight With Window Roof work as a window bringing light in?
  • Options
    ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited May 2014
    Tiki5872 wrote:

Zoo, your tower looks amazing! I'm so glad you shared this with us, as I wanted my Addams Family to be able to use the tower, but was willing to forgo that in order to have "the look". You're so clever! Your stained glass windows are awesome too! It amazes me how you figure out all these neat things!

Thanks, Double L! I have been making more fake stain glass today. I will be putting some photos up in my Zoo U homework thread.

Zoo

Zoo, will you, or do you have a class/tutorial on how you do this?? This is such an awesome idea, and I am always looking for new ways to freshen up my builds! :D

I am actually thinking of a Zoo U with some of the tricky things that I like to do (like some unexpected ways to make hidden doors and secret passages, for example) and fake stained glass windows would fit right in with that topic.

Some of my experiments came out better than others. I used the recolorable stained glass window as one of the windows I "added" to.

27d89a87-b0b5-4dea-a641-5b369a7db5b0.jpg"width=700"

809b7278-3dc8-4f01-af57-d6f08d9be572.jpg"width=700"

fdb17c83-3634-4fcc-9459-652bb9945174.jpg"width=700"

210aa777-bd01-43c4-9484-06f6e65846ca.jpg"width=700"

e3c59ebd-f193-4479-8dc2-a4496edca9ee.jpg"width=700"

721bdcca-027e-4c86-b6cd-80dd6e6e1afa.jpg"width=700"

73a38e15-6f3c-46bb-8dbf-9b5f4c208351.jpg"width=700"

oow785m
  • Options
    Tiki5872Tiki5872 Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited May 2014
    Tiki5872 wrote:

Zoo

I am actually thinking of a Zoo U with some of the tricky things that I like to do (like some unexpected ways to make hidden doors and secret passages, for example) and fake stained glass windows would fit right in with that topic.

Some of my experiments came out better than others. I used the recolorable stained glass window as one of the windows I "added" to.

809b7278-3dc8-4f01-af57-d6f08d9be572.jpg"width=700"

fdb17c83-3634-4fcc-9459-652bb9945174.jpg"width=700"

210aa777-bd01-43c4-9484-06f6e65846ca.jpg"width=700"

e3c59ebd-f193-4479-8dc2-a4496edca9ee.jpg"width=700"

73a38e15-6f3c-46bb-8dbf-9b5f4c208351.jpg"width=700"

Oh wow, these look really nice! I do hope you decide to do that class on this, I am definitely interested in learning!
    NewBanner.jpg
    Origin ID: Tiki5872
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited May 2014
    Wow, what a clever idea! I like the peacock one!
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    edited May 2014

For some reason, the first hing that came ot mind when I saw these, was mirrors.
    Maybe I'm not normal? But they are all lovely! :oops: :lol:
    :shock: I really love the peacock one!
    But honestly, it's hard to pic a fav. :mrgreen:

Does sunlight sparkle thought them? :?:
    *sorry if it's a dumb question, but I am dying to know.
    IRL, I ADORE sunlight through stained glass.
    But where I live now, I no longer have it. :(
  • Options
    TheZommbieTheZommbie Posts: 712 New Member
    edited May 2014
    Guess the mansards dont work as a window.. Ill stick with the custom ingame mansards and save 17$ for a Pc venue then
  • Options
    HayleyBofDEHayleyBofDE Posts: 244 Member
    edited May 2014
    So is it worth it? What is so special about this venue? Just it has ghosts like the Goths House?
  • Options
    Akila906Akila906 Posts: 1,836 Member
    edited May 2014
    So is it worth it? What is so special about this venue? Just it has ghosts like the Goths House?

There are NO GHOSTS in this venue.

I think it's worth it. You get 2 completely furnished houses....one new and one old and run down. One with new furniture/decor and the other with old furniture/decor and spider webs. There are 40+ new objects including the stairs, stained glass windows and a door, mansard roof pieces, spider webs, new chandelier, new railings and fence and a lot more.
    michael-jackson-17.gif
  • Options
    HayleyBofDEHayleyBofDE Posts: 244 Member
    edited May 2014
    Akila906 wrote:

I think it's worth it. You get 2 completely furnished houses....one new and one old and run down. One with new furniture/decor and the other with old furniture/decor and spider webs. There are 40+ new objects including the stairs, stained glass windows and a door, mansard roof pieces, spider webs, new chandelier, new railings and fence and a lot more.

Thank you so much.
  • Options
    ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited May 2014

For some reason, the first hing that came ot mind when I saw these, was mirrors.
    Maybe I'm not normal? But they are all lovely! :oops: :lol:
    :shock: I really love the peacock one!
    But honestly, it's hard to pic a fav. :mrgreen:

Does sunlight sparkle thought them? :?:
    *sorry if it's a dumb question, but I am dying to know.
    IRL, I ADORE sunlight through stained glass.
    But where I live now, I no longer have it. :(

Sunlight won't shine through the photographs, but will shine through the clear panes if you choose a style of window that has them. Also, it may be possible to use some buyDebug light trickery to simulate sunlight through the photos.

I also thought that this might be a good accent for mirrors. You see stained glass combined with mirrors in décor all the time.

Zoo
    oow785m
  • Options
    LittleLeotaLittleLeota Posts: 680 Member
    edited May 2014
    Zoo, I love your stained glass and I really hope you decide to teach a Zoo U class on how to do some of these nifty things you come up with!
  • Options
    suzitjadesuzitjade Posts: 112 New Member
    edited May 2014
    Oh my gosh, so out of the loop, just seen this and did Addams family pop into anyone else's head when they saw the house?
    Can't wait to get this, on the wish list for the time being.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    suzitjade wrote:
    Oh my gosh, so out of the loop, just seen this and did Addams family pop into anyone else's head when they saw the house?

Yes, I thought of the Addams Family right away! One of my current builds is their house, so I was super excited to see this. :)
  • Options
    AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member
    edited May 2014
    suzitjade wrote:

Yes, I thought of the Addams Family right away! One of my current builds is their house, so I was super excited to see this. :)

Funny you should say that...I was just revisiting the Addams family stuff on the Haunted House thread. We got sooooo close with so many of the things we need with this set! Now let's hope they bring on the really spooky stuff in time for Halloween!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    AmaraRena wrote:
    suzitjade wrote:

Funny you should say that...I was just revisiting the Addams family stuff on the Haunted House thread. We got sooooo close with so many of the things we need with this set! Now let's hope they bring on the really spooky stuff in time for Halloween!

We really did! I'm right there with ya on the spooky stuff!
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited May 2014
    Akila906 wrote:

There isn't? That's disappointing. I know the haunted house came with some urns so I was hoping. I haven't had time to play around with this set yet.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited May 2014
    anettesb wrote:
    yea would have been nice if the broken stuff was cheep

Some of it is! Like the ripped porch screens! The windows are right at the start of the catalogue (thanks for that store team)! The problem is the stuff that doesn't have a broken version, and relies on CASt to give it a worn look. Things like the porch railings and stained glass window ($300! :shock: ). So they really raise the price of a build. :cry:

Maybe if I delete the odd railing, and take out some of the plants, it might lower the price. I'm so bad at starter homes! :oops: :lol:

This is what I got up to last night:

(Note: sorry if my screenshots are a little dark. I have set the lighting to be very dark at night in my world, I like the contrast between the dark wild areas and the bright occupied areas like the city. Plus, the house doesn't have many lights.)

When I moved Cinderelli-sim in I got an opportunity:

appr.jpg

I accepted the challenge because it seemed appropriate! I never play with ghosts as part of the household so it was quite new to me! :D

Screenshot-100-3.jpg

I liked Kitty's idea of having a tree which looks like it has broken through the floorboards inside the house, so I thought I'd try it:

Screenshot-90-2.jpg

Cinderelli-sim was tired so she had a nap in this creepy corner:

Screenshot-92-3.jpg

SCREAMS!!! This freaked me out so much!!! Argh, leave Cinderelli-sim alone!!! :shock:

Screenshot-94-3.jpg

In true Cinderelli-sim style she was soon chatting away with them. :roll: :lol:

Screenshot-97-3.jpg

I adore that broken door! It's beautiful!

In the end I was too freaked out to let Cinderelli-sim sleep there, so she found a night sunny bench to have a nap on instead! :lol:

Screenshot-101-2.jpg

I was only really trying to build a starter home and testing it out, but with that opportunity I found myself enjoying the idea of doing a bit of a survival challenge with her. Next time I play I'm going to CAS her to make her look scruffier (true to life! :P ) because she's still in her Boho clothes. And I've sold everything in her inventories and set her family funds to $10. So, I'm looking forward to collecting stuff and selling it, and trying to earn her some money. :D
    Blythelyre wrote:
    Blythelyre wrote:
    Copeland...Alan - may I call you Alan? - since you never responded to my earlier question, I have a compromise...how about you adopt ME?!? :shock: :?:

Well, my wife just said "no" to another puppy... but sure! What the heck? :lol:

Listen sir, I'm much better than a dog! I have a steady paying job, I can cook and clean...you wouldn't even be obligated to shelter me (for long). So when can I move in...

Wait, would I have to move to California?! I'm an east coast girl. hmmm. We shall overcome! Make sure you pass all this along to the Missus...I want her to like me! (Does she like turtles?)

Now all I have to do is figure out how to break the news to my mommy...

*giggling at all this*

*amazes at Zoo's ideas*
    Lolixchan wrote:
    So I've never actually posted on the forums until this venue came out... and I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but does anyone else see the striking resemblance to Rose Red from Stephen King's "Rose Red" and "The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer" that this venue displays? Not that I'd ever, ever, EVER complain about that -- those are two of my favorite horror films. I actually mean it as a compliment, especially if it's actually supposed to look like Rose Red and if it is, my only minor complaint is that the Rose Tower doesn't have the window, but then, that'd probably get y'all in trouble, huh? Either way, it makes me happy and when I get the money, this venue will definitely be in my game. :D

Hi and welcome to the forums! :D

I'll have to google it, I've read/watched a lot of King's books/movies but I'm not familiar with that one, hang on...

...is this it? Yes, it does have a similar look!

thumb?thumbId=36408
    Well, silly me. I'd made quotes from 4 people over 5 pages of thread, and then accidentally closed the wrong window. :oops: :-(

Oh no!!! I hate when that happens! Liam got me yesterday. Grrr :evil:

I love your Addam's Family build! And just echoing what the others have said about using moo to layer the curtains, it looks really nice! I hope we can get a flat, plain lace panel for under curtains like that. Or Weealbet's idea of modular curtains.
    Pugslover4 wrote:
    I am really gonna missed this items for sure. I been waiting for ages for the curves stairs and sadly I won't have no internet and finally got a new home to move in but won't have no internet for the summer. :'(

Pugslover4, I am so glad you have a new home to move into. I was homeless once, when I was 14 (a very long time ago) and I've never forgotten how good it feels to have a place to call home.

I also love the curved stairs! I'm so glad we have them now!

I'm sorry you won't have internet for a while :-( , but hopefully it won't be long, and you'll have the set before you know it. :wink:

I'm so happy you've found somewhere Pugs!!! I've got a lot of sympathy for you, we've moved around a LOT, renting and renting, and it's a pain in the glass to have to sort everything out each time we move! I hate being without the internet, it feels so alienating! Luckily we finally managed to buy our house (after 10+ years of trying to save up for a deposit) and we're safe in the knowledge that no pesky landlord can sell our home at a whim anymore! It's horrible, the landlord of the property next to us has half-heartedly put our neighbour's house up for sale TWICE and changed his mind. The lady next door has two children, she shouldn't be messed around like that! :evil: Sorry everyone for ranting about the British housing problems. :oops: Our house is more like the 'then' manor with old rotting window frames (and a broken pane)but at least it's ours! :D

On the stairs...

I REALLY wanted to try inverting the sweeping stairs, so that two sets of stairs swept towards each other. So, just as a quick test, I added the curved bits to my Phantom Opera House (which is in my studio if anyone wants it). I love them!!! I think they're wonderful!!!

Screenshot-102-1.jpg
    Screenshot-103-1.jpg

I think they are so clever, how the sweep is a deco piece! It makes them much more versatile than having one huge clunky staircase object! You just 'stick' them on the side of a normal staircase! So you can change the tile width of the stairs and things! :D

The colour channels are nice too. My only gripe is that the matching staircase doesn't appear to be recolourable, which is a shame because it looks nice but I'll probably never use it now, because it won't fit with whatever I'm building (I'm a CASt addict).

I'm not bothered about the slight over-lap on the curved stair pieces. It doesn't seem too obvious to me once the steps are coloured to match.

That cat clock is from pets correct? I've never thought of using that for my halloween pics but I will now.
  • Options
    SuRihtanilSuRihtanil Posts: 1,456 Member
    edited May 2014
    Problem with then and now store content. The sims don't understand the difference in the then or the now items. They don't sense boarded windows any different than the highest cost window. So what's the point of then and now again?
  • Options
    murfeelmurfeel Posts: 7,584 Member
    edited May 2014
    SuRihtanil wrote:
    Problem with then and now store content. The sims don't understand the difference in the then or the now items. They don't sense boarded windows any different than the highest cost window. So what's the point of then and now again?

I said a long time ago that I hoped EA would add a Creepy Vista to go along with the Beautiful Vista buff nice lots have. The same way sims get creeped out at graveyards or at night if they're cowardly/afraid of the dark, sims should get grossed out around spookier settings.

Missed opportunities in LN, SH, SSNS (Spooky Day), all the way around.

And no coffin YET, either. :evil:

Anyways, I really like the content in Then/Now, especially the Then items!

tumblr_n5obgr7Hxn1saihkvo1_500.jpg

I loooooooove the Mansard roofs; they recolor really well. I only wish we had even more architectural roof styles as decor objects, like glass domes and towers/spires *cough cough!* :oops:

My 3 favorite items would HAVE to be the Spider Webs, the recolorable Stained Glass Window (I swooned; I'm using them like a maniac), and the Broken Door.

tumblr_n5obgr7Hxn1saihkvo3_500.jpg

Look at those sexy cobwebs! Thank you, EA~! They are exactly what I was hoping for! :thumbup: (The greedy wench in me wants like 50 more :XD: )

I also like the fence shaped like dead bushes--that was GENIUS! But it's non-recolorable--what's the big idea!? :x This is NOT TS2, EA--we should NOT be in 2014 stuck with items we can't recolor. :thumbdown: I hope a modder fixes that fence, cuz that's just unacceptable.

tumblr_n5obgr7Hxn1saihkvo2_500.jpg

The one issue I'm having though is the Wrought Iron fence/gate. It's beautiful, and I love it immensely...but it's not at the same height as the walls. :shock: WHY? :( It ends up looking awkward, in my opinion.

Other than that, though, I think the set is spectacular.

Don't know why it's a frikkin Venue, though since there's no new gameplay or PC included, like a COFFIN.... :roll: It's not even a community lot like the Olympian Gym was, so I just don't get why everything had to be super-glued together like this; I think that was 100% low on EA's part.

But I DO love it; I think the items here are better than the ones from Grim's Manor. :mrgreen:

We just need a real coffin, to seal the deal. :wink:

HIGH FIVES, my spirit animal Amara Rena~! :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Options
    ThelessyThelessy Posts: 1,764 Member
    edited May 2014
    I really love the little details like the cobwebs. I also like the boarded up windows, it's great for making all kinds of creepy run down lot.
    I'd love to see someone use this stuff to remake the weeping angel house from "Blink"
  • Options
    MooshygirlMooshygirl Posts: 119 Member
    edited May 2014
    I could kiss you guys!! (the developers)
    Love you!
    You heard us....so many here have stated there are things from Sims 2 they missed! its cool the team are aware/ lurking here and picking up what we are throwing down! LOL
    I really am stoked! Thanks!