Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tent Woes

This has been an ongoing issue for me; I'm hoping someone else has found a workaround.

So, my Sim is exploring the Great Pyramid. She gets to the second floor and she's tired. I go to her inventory, select the tent and attempt to put it on the floor in the lovely big room she's standing in the middle of. Except, crap, there are undiscovered traps in the floor along the edges of the room and since she's standing in the middle there is no contiguous space large enough for the tent. I click with the tent red, I right click, I click in the inventory, trying anything and everything I can think of to put the tent back so I can move my sim and then put her tent on the floor. Nothing works.

I wave the tent around in frustration and it turns green in a nearby undiscovered room. Not seeing any other options I put it down. But she can't leave the room she's in to go to the tent room because the door is locked. So I start to work on revealing and disarming the traps. She reveals one, but.... she's too tired to disarm it! Now she's stuck in a tiny corner behind a trap.

So, she's exhausted, but it'll be another 24 hours before she passes out. Her tent is another room. She's stuck.

I think, Aha! Meditating! Maybe she can regen energy or at least zenport to her tent.
Nope, she's too tired to meditate.

This is not the first time this has happened. In China it took her 2 days to finally get her tent back.
I don't want to waste another 2 days.

How do I get out of this spot?!

Comments

• Options
    AunzaAunza Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited April 2014
    Hi...

First problem, tent not returning to the backpack when there is no where to place it:

Click the button that allows you to see the entire map (map mode). When you return back to your sim the tent will be back in their backpack.

Second, If I am not mistaken - the room your sim is in...

Try exposing the traps and then jumping them

OR

Carefully walk the sim around the red zones to the door...

Go through the door

Walk the short corridor; step on the floor switch go through the door.

Or use cheats -

If you want those -

Spoiler Alert

Click ctrl+shift+C
    In the blue bar at the top of the screen type
    testingCheatsEnabled true
    click enter
    You can then do one of two things
    Click the ground where you want the sim and click teleport here
    OR
    Click the homebase mailbox, click make all happy (this will fill all the sims motives to high).
    Be sure to then turn testingCheatsEnabled off by
    Click ctrl+shift+C
    In the blue bar at the top of the screen type
    testingCheatsEnabled false
    Click enter

Oh,if you carry the sleeping bag (found in buy mode, comfort tab,)which came with a couple of the later EP's, and a tent your sim can use it when caught in a fairly tight spot.

Edit: x2 typo
  • Options
    Kilov17Kilov17 Posts: 1,795 Member
    edited April 2014
    I only solution to a situation like this I know of is the LTW: Moodlit Manager.

I'm guessing there are also Testingcheat work arounds too, but the only 'cheat' I (will) use is the reset sim one.

Well, that might also be a work around, resetting your sim... Just would be pulling/ plucking you out of said tomb is all...
    Kilov17 (Gallery ID: SimOppresser)
    JrTlDGw.jpg
  • Options
    KonrilKonril Posts: 153 Member
    edited April 2014
    For the tent, if you start to place it and find that you don't have a valid location, you can press 'Esc' on your keyboard to cancel the placement and put it back in your inventory. Otherwise if you place it in a valid but unreachable location, it may be stuck there until your vacation ends.

Otherwise, Escape Dust from the special vendor can be really helpful as insurance, as this will work even when the sim is too tired or hungry to meditate properly. It's unfortunate that it requires Visa level 2 to get, though. I've gotten into the practice of keeping multiple saves, so I can always reload the beginning of the day if something gets stuck or broken.

This should probably be a last resort, but if your sim is genuinely stuck without a means to teleport and without a backup save from before you got stuck, you may be able to send your sim back to the base camp using the resetsim cheat. Ctrl-shift-C opens the cheat console, and there enter "resetsim <first name> <last name>" so if your sim was named John Doe, "resetsim John Doe" will likely send him back to the base camp. Do try to be a bit more careful next time.
  • Options
    AunzaAunza Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited April 2014

A word or two of advice, if I may:
    Before I forget -

Save often - especially if you have an adventure sim.
    Good adventure sims can be hard to come by. ~smile~

If you have not done so,
    Acquire a death flower and keep it in your sims backpack at all times.
    The death flower is the final life saver. Grimmy will take it in exchange of your sim - most of the time....
    IF Grimmy takes your sim, just quit the game without saving...
    Well, unless you really do not like the sim, that is.
    ~smiles~

~happy simming~
  • Options
    CelebrineCelebrine Posts: 12 New Member
    edited April 2014
    Thanks all!

I ended up making a successful 'Attempt to Cross' and went back to base camp to sleep. She explored for 2 or 3 more days but the vacation ended before she got her tent back. Glad to see it back in her inventory at home.

I'll have to remember the Esc key and map tricks for dropping the tent next time!

She's my first adventure sim, but I think she's pretty great at it. Being a genie turned out to be very handy for spending several days in a tomb. I'll definitely look into getting a Death Flower. And some Escape Dust.

Thanks again, all!
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited April 2014
    If you have Supernatural have your sim learn the Alchemy skill and make a few Potent Invigorating Elixirs. That will replenish the energy bar for 24 hrs. My sims use those extensively when adventuring.
  • Options
    OmairaOmaira Posts: 666 Member
    edited April 2014
    University too is good with the "herbs" Kona Beans are like coffee and will keep sims awake for longer.

In all, there are several things a god adventurer should always have,

A tent.

Dry food (also some fruit in the inventory, it helps, and again if your sim has gone to Uni stock on candy bars and the like!). I personally think it is about high time EA should bring in sandwiches or packed lunches!

Shower in a can.. at least 3, be careful, sims are annoying and will use them autonomously once their hygiene bar gets half way (I usually leave them at camp or home and put them in their inventory when needed) I mostly use them if caught in traps.

Mummy snacks (Al Simhara - any visa level, you need gold coins to buy them)

Also if you want your sims not to perish and truly be prepared for any eventuality have the following:

Death Flower: You will need level 7 gardening skill and special seed (with no value ei 0), that is either death flower or money tree, if the seed has a value them they are life plants, flame fruit or plasma fruits, this last one with LN).

Incidentally you can find a death bush usually around town, so harvest it. Try the graveyard, though I have not found it in many Worlds, perhaps I have not been looking hard, but if you find special seeds around graveyards with value 0 there is a big chance that they are death flowers.

Supernaturals: Elixirs like the Potent invigorating and Invigorating for Energy.
    Potent cure elixir will cure the Mummy curse. If your sim is a vampire there is an elixir to allow them to go out in daylight.

University, herbs, there is a list going around that tells you what all the herbs do, and some help sims with energy levels to study, they also help on adventures (thank you EA!) Kona beans act like coffee without the crash, but I think you might get a coffee breath moodlet.. not sure.

The Work (Logic?) Bench (I know this is not the real name but I can never remember it! you can create Ninja Vanish potions that work very much like the Vanish? potion you get from the Special Merchant.

There are lots of little things around to help, but if all is lost I reset my sim, end of story. They just don't get kill.

The Dessert Ocean Tomb in Al Simhara (Pyramid of the Sky) has a Death Flower Bush, I just remember it, however, every time my sims get there the bush is not in flower.

Another thing is the teleportation pad (75000 LT points reward) just to teleport back home quickly. Drawback: apart form the amount of points you need to get it is that you mush have your own house to be able to take it out of the family inventory, daft I know.. I just wish this EP could have been thought it better, some things just don't make sense.

• Options
    mercifullynewmercifullynew Posts: 103 Member
    edited May 2014
    I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for these comments. I've been stuck in this position too and tentless!
  • Options
    muddypaws4167muddypaws4167 Posts: 2,108 New Member
    edited May 2014
    when traveling, I always make sure my Sim has the sleeping bag that came with Generations ( i think thats where it came from ) i have recolored it tons of times and its at least as comfy as the tent but takes up a LOT less floor space.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    edited May 2014
    I will make my Sims use the sleeping bags for their tomb adventures instead of using the tents and I've also got the tent from Island Paradise to put into the inventory before they leave on a vacation.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg