Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Script error when loading the sims 3 game launcher

Comments

• NydoreNydore Posts: 10 New Member
    edited May 2014
    lucyvp86 wrote:
    EA does not live here.....meaning you have to go to the official help forum to contact them.

As far as the error message goes, the .js is a java script so check to make sure that your browser and the java plugin are up to date. You might also try using a different browser as your default to see if that helps.

I often get error messages about an "unruly sponsor script", since it's been months that I've last seen any free points? I roll my eyes, click "stop script" and carry on. I could care less about their sponsors and ads if I can't even see them.

I've never had the .js error so I'd check your updates. Other than that to helpea.com .....I thnk that's the URL

I updated everything. Java, origin, the sims 3, it still happens. I honestly hate that EA has those stupid adds in the game, it's a bit ridiculous, but it crashes my game now. I don't want adds, I want my game to work. I will check that URL and contact EA for support but since this is a help forum I thought I'd ask here and try to avoid that headache.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    edited May 2014
    I've had this script error happen to me since the 167 patch was installed though it only happens if I open the launcher with my wireless turned on and dosen't always happen every time I open the launcher.I've got a shot of my launcher with the script error.
    13162454143_834178b40c_z.jpg
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • NydoreNydore Posts: 10 New Member
    edited May 2014
    Sooo, I tried updating everything (java, the sims launcher, origin) and it did nothing. I decided to uninstall and reinstall java, and that did the trick :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: . I am no longer getting the error and I am about to play and test if it still crashes. Thank you all for the help, I have been fighting with my sims game for about a week now, though only had this particular issue since yesterday.
  • blunote00blunote00 Posts: 18,476 Member
    edited May 2014
    Someone said this already but gonna say it again since people aren't paying attention.

Java and JavaScript are NOT the same thing :!: :!: :!:

2lcn3oo.jpg

Java
    Java is owned by Oracle. It's used by a lot of applications on the web. Yes Oracle pushes out Critical Patch Updates/Security Updates every quarter on the first Tuesday closest to the 17th day of the month. Just like Microsoft pushes out Windows Updates every week.

Here is the schedule for Java Updates from Oracle. The latest version of Java is v1.7.0_55

If you have Java installed, go into the Java Control Panel and make sure that it's enabled in the browser.

[img]http://oi59.tinypic.com/snzdol.jpg "width=532" "height=602"[/img]

2lcn3oo.jpg

JavaScript and other scripting languages
    JavaScript, VBScript (Visual Basic), other scripting language run in the browser. Each browser may or may not render the same code differently. If you're running Windows then you need to make sure the IE (part of Windows) is up-to-date and compatibility view is set. Doesn't matter whether you use it or not, it is part of Windows.

jQuery is the Javascript Library where all the scripts are held. Web Devs use this tool for coding the scripts on the server-side and simplifying the HTML, etc. on the client-side. The client-side is your browser.

Every browser has Dev Tools and you can see how the code is rendering in a particular browser on the client-side.

Example: Chrome (click image for larger view)
    2lbzx3p.jpg

That said..
    All the launchers have web pages running in them. Make sure you can accept scripts in whatever browser you're using. The settings are different in each one.

Example: Chrome
    28u3frq.jpg

2lcn3oo.jpg

Origin
    Make sure Origin is up-to-date as it also updates the launcher. Origin's most recent update is Version 9.4.7.2799

2lcn3oo.jpg

As stated above each browser has it's own settings for scripts. However, you can try registering the jscript.dll and vbscript.dll to see if that helps. Both of these files are in your System32 folder so check "your" path for your version of Windows. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit so the path in my example is for that version of Windows.

Basically, you need to open the RUN box (Window key + R) or turn it on via properties on the start button.

Type in Open: regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\vbscript.dll
    a41mrn.jpg

Hit OK. You should get the following pop-up
    333lvuh.jpg

Type in Open: regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\jscript.dll. Do the same as above.
    2mq54s5.jpg

If you get an error (and you might) with Win7 and up...
    2ijtavp.jpg

You will have to register the file using the Windows Command Prompt by running as an Administrator. Follow the below instructions carefully.

• Click Start
    • Click All Programs
    • Click Accessories
    • Right-click Command Prompt
    • Click Run as administrator
    • Click Yes
    • Type REGSVR32 JSCRIPT.DLL
    • Press Enter on your keyboard
    • (a prompt will confirm the .dll was registered successfully)

Again, the path in this example is for Windows 7.
    24yqz53.jpg

2q9fa61.jpg

You may or may not have to reboot your computer. I just can't remember at the moment. :wink:

Hope this works for you. Otherwise, it could be how you have your setting in each individual browser to react to scripts.

Although there have been lots of script errors lately on the server-side (EA's side), there's still things users can do on the client-side. EA is changing the ads so much that I wouldn't doubt that the advertisement and their tags get loaded incorrectly, in which case it may/will/probably borked the launcher. :lol:

Note: You could also to Flush DNS Cache as well but see if the above works first. :)

FYI ~ I've run all of the above and check it on a regular basis, I never get these launcher script errors. The only errors I do see are the ones where different content isn't loading properly in the switcher.

Post edited by Unknown User on
    Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
    US Links ► (TS3), Help for all things Sims (Answer HQ).
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited May 2014
    @blunote: Are you saying you're not getting the scriptError ? (I have two actually atm, the sponsorpay one and the query 3.21. one.

I was NOT getting them when I was in Germany (same computer, different IP) but I get them here in Switzerland so this is EA side. Nothing we can do in my opinion.

EDIT: Tried your suggestions and both are still there.

Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

edited May 2014
    For me it's still there and the right side is empty as well.

I did what blunote posted, got updates for Windows and java after I restarted (which I don't do that often either) but it's still the same.

Also the funny thing was that I always get the sponserad one (except the few times I actually saw the ad) but when I was in Germany the past two days, I did not get it so I do believe it's IP/country based.

Maybe they are fixing country by country :)
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    AHQ Tutorial

• JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    edited May 2014
    Trianna2 wrote:
    Ok.. I am fairly new to this game and am having the same issue. If I click the "yes" option, I can play but it makes me nervous to do so. I have discovered that the error stops me from downloading anything from the store or the exchange. Can anyone tell me how long it generally takes for EA to look at these posts and do something to correct an issue? Thank you.

The Error still pops up when you try to download store items but as you know store patch also pops up onto the Error message. You can see very tiny edge of the button 'yes' or 'no' under store patch popup and click yes or no under it, then it will work.
    edited May 2014
    I don't even get the ad banner. Haven't in Germany either. Just didn't get the scriptError.

Do you have an adblocker ?
    AHQ Tutorial

edited May 2014
    crinrict wrote:
    @blunote: Are you saying you're not getting the scriptError ? (I have two actually atm, the sponsorpay one and the query 3.21. one.

I was NOT getting them when I was in Germany (same computer, different IP) but I get them here in Switzerland so this is EA side. Nothing we can do in my opinion.

EDIT: Tried your suggestions and both are still there.
    I don't get the script errors at all. I'm sure they've (EA) hosed something up. They hosed up the api all the time when they used to add the different banners at the top. Not saying it isn't them I'm sure it is. However, the above is just some things to check on the client-side.
    crinrict wrote:
    For me it's still there and the right side is empty as well.

I did what blunote posted, got updates for Windows and java after I restarted (which I don't do that often either) but it's still the same.

Also the funny thing was that I always get the sponserad one (except the few times I actually saw the ad) but when I was in Germany the past two days, I did not get it so I do believe it's IP/country based.

Maybe they are fixing country by country :)
    I do believe it's always been an issue with the locale (country user is in) but that's always been an issue in way or another for something.

lucyvp86 wrote:
    Good tips, Blu. I didn't even think to clarify that there was a difference between java and java script.

I think, however, some of your steps maybe a little too much for some people.

I know I'm constantly getting the "unruly sponsor" script error and that has nothing to do with anything on my end. Since I never see the free ads? I'm convinced it's something they've done and some sort of conflict issue with the script and the ads or even the company pushing the ads.

By the way, I think ya'll jinxed me! I just started getting the .js error shortly after I made my response in this thread lol. I just select stop script and continue launching the game. Since I'm not having any real issues? I'm not all that concerned about it and ignore it.

Edit: I also see nothing on the right side of my launcher when I see this script.

I had a thought...many are saying that they got update notices on either java...java script...their browsers...etc. Could it be that the launcher is no longer compatible with these updates? Or whatever they are using to run the ads and the right side of the launcher that scrolls through the game ads? *shrugs* I don't know, just wondering.

Update: I restarted my computer last night, I don't normally do that because I am old school and believe it's taxing on systems to constantly restart so I usually put it into hibernate mode and restart it once a week to clear things out.

And.....restarted everything today....no error messages but there are big giant X's all over the right side of the launcher where images should be and the text does not fit into the little text box. The text is extended down into where the images should be. So, I closed the launcher and restarted it and now even that is fixed. Whatever was going on yesterday seems to be resolved today for me.
    It just drives me nuts when people get the two mixed up. This site is built in jForum which is Java but there are other (OOP) languages used as well.

I do get the issues you do see on the right in the "switcher", that's how they have it coded. An api is used in the launcher as well and I see the same messed up header and text. Apparently, someone over there doesn't know how to load the api correctly, again. :?

Will occasionally provide tech support on this forum or over on Answer HQ. ▬ At my age, competence is a turn on! (©¿©)
    DO NOT - PM me tech ?s/issues. ▬ DO create a thread in it's respective Technical Forum. Vacation goes by way too fast!
  • 45rpm45rpm Posts: 2,606 Member
    edited May 2014
    Hi Crin Im the same as you Right side empty on the launcher but I have had this before so I just x out the java script box hit play and it plays.

Have a good day.

• silverwood02silverwood02 Posts: 73 Member
    edited May 2014
    I am also getting this error message. It started on 1st May.

Keith
  • sarahjeraesarahjerae Posts: 1
    edited May 2014
    i am no longer getting the error i was getting yesterday with the launcher but when click play it opens up as if it is going to load the game but stays black & soon goes to not responding. I have tried every troubleshoot i can find & still not working.. Could this still be related to yesterdays error everyone was getting?

i have a PC with windows 8
    edited May 2014
    I have been able to play the game still - it just seems the launcher plays up. I have made no changes to the PC since it started, so I have no idea why it is doing it.

Keith
  • jrg2222jrg2222 Posts: 60 Member
    edited May 2014
    I am no longer having these script errors since my last post. I'm not sure if this is what fixed it, but I deleted those temporary .package files from the save folder (one of which is called scriptCache.package, I'm wondering if that one's related directly to this issue), and now there are no script errors.
    edited May 2014
    edited May 2014
    lucyvp86 wrote:
    blunote00 wrote:

Thanks!

I'm going to add that to the exceptions to see if it works. No errors today but man, that launcher is sluggish!! Took forever to even start.
    I don't know I just walked in the door. Been up since 5:30 AM. Work all day, lots of meetings, very late lunch, more meetings, then my sister's wedding rehearsal stuff. I may try to start it up in a bit. Right now I just want to sit. :wink:
    edited May 2014
    The scriptError is now gone for me and the right side loads again. Still getting the sponsorpay one but the new one is solved.

Does anyone still have it ?
    AHQ Tutorial

edited May 2014
    Ditto it's all fixed. Looks like the changed they text in the header & other stuff to Dynamic HTML so you do get the drop-down of it when you hover/scroll over the icon. Which is okay and probably better than trying to fit all the text over the icon or on it. Easier to update as well as you can change it for all webpages in one place.

Now if only they can remember how to load the api correctly. :wink:

EDIT1: typos

EDIT2: I take that back it's not all fixed. The "switcher" height is too long on the right. The free simpoint banner is missing/cut off when you load the launcher but the actual webpage does have it just below the "switcher".

Launcher w/o Free Simpoint banner/link.
    [img]http://oi62.tinypic.com/2qisqrp.jpg "width=639" "height=485"[/img]

Actual webpage (USA locale) shows Free Simpoint banner.
    [img]http://oi61.tinypic.com/bewyz4.jpg "width=639" "height=485"[/img]
    edited May 2014
    Hello
    Mine seems to be back to normal now.
    Does anyone know why it happened or how it was fixed?

Keith
    edited May 2014
    Hello
    Mine seems to be back to normal now.
    Does anyone know why it happened or how it was fixed?

Keith
    I explained a lot on the last two pages but it could have been a number of things.
  • JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    edited May 2014
    Looks like mine has been fixed too. I don't get that script error popup any more.:)
  • oOSianaOooOSianaOo Posts: 1
    edited May 2014
    Cela me fais la même chose depuis le début de semaine!!! je pensais que ça venait de mon pc mais d'après tous les post lu cela viendrai plutot d'origin! j'espere que ce pb sera vite solutionné!!
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    edited May 2014
    I just opened my launcher with my internet turned on and here's the image of it without the script errors.It took me less than a minute to open it up.
    13917415469_efe1b5e88e_z.jpg
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,120 Member
    edited May 2014
    I've been having this same problem and I've tried everything that has been discussed in this thread and none of it worked for me. I was so hopeful because it seems to have worked for everyone else but that's just my luck. I have uninstalled/reinstalled every EP and SP and I have no CC or store content at all in my game (I also uninstalled all of that...first). I never use mods. Any other suggestions? Thanks :-)

Thanks especially to blunote for giving good instructions to follow. I just think the launcher hates me...LOL
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
    edited May 2014
    I've been having this same problem and I've tried everything that has been discussed in this thread and none of it worked for me. I was so hopeful because it seems to have worked for everyone else but that's just my luck. I have uninstalled/reinstalled every EP and SP and I have no CC or store content at all in my game (I also uninstalled all of that...first). I never use mods. Any other suggestions? Thanks :-)

Thanks especially to blunote for giving good instructions to follow. I just think the launcher hates me...LOL
    You shouldn't have had to do that. :( At this point (if everything is up-to-date) clearing browser cache, temp, history, cookies, and java-runtime errors should suffice.