Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

oXseashellXo's Black Cat Builders Thread **Update 5-21

I'm super far behind and not really on topic either, but I'm posting my current build on this thread for some help and advice with the current lesson - MOOve Your Grass. I have been working on this build for a VERY long time now (several months) and it's still a complete WIP :roll: I'm very slow when it comes to this sort of thing.

After reading through and following part 1 of lesson 13 I realized that part of my problem was that the main floor of the main house on this lot was 20 steps above street level :oops: I used the CFE cheat to lower it to about 16 steps (though it's not perfect like Taryn's and because I'm redoing it that seems extremely difficult to change).

The main feature of this build is the Tractor. The pieces alternate between bridges and solid ground. It also goes around the house. I realize now, that it would have been ideal if the tractor was 1/4th below street level and the house was 3/4th above street level, but the tractor is ~ street level and the house is ~16 steps above.

The tractor actually circles the house. I built the main floor of the house exactly one full floor above the tractor so that when the tractor is in use, Sims can still enter and exit the building without problem.

It's on a gigantic lot (64x64) and when I'm done, I would really like to share :)

My main issue (aside from all the decorating nuances) is the landscaping and such. Everything is very organic, and I don't want to lose that, but need a bit more organisation and focal points. I've tried to just smooth the ground out, but it's just not quite right. I don't want to just put steps all around the lot either, as Sims will completely ignore them and walk around :roll:

Here are some pics

Lot Overview
"width=600"Screenshot.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-4.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-3.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-34.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-2.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-35.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-32.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-33.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-31.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-29.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-30.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-27.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-28.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-26.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-25.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-23.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-21.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-24.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-22.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-20.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-19.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-18.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-17.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-13.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-15.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-14.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-16.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-11.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-12.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-5.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-8.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-6.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-7.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-10.jpg

"width=600"Screenshot-9.jpg

Comments

• TarynTempestwindTarynTempestwind Posts: 4,438 Member
    edited April 2014
    SeaShells, this is a very fun and innovative lot! There were a couple of things that jumped out at me that I thought I might offer some advice about. Your plant life is cute and very rustic. One thing that jumps out and catches my eye is the red pansies. I think they may be too deep of a color, too strong for the rest of your color palette. Try the purple pansies or the white daisies instead. See what you think. Looking again, the red poppies jump out too. Maybe the lavender would give you the same wild effect, but blend more. I think because the rest of your flowers have pastel colors. Those two reds are hard to work with. :) If you love the reds, then try warming up your plant colors with "hot" colors..more yellows and oranges.

The other thing that stood out was the terrain paint that looks like stones set in grass. I think a little goes a long way with that one. Maybe instead of whole sections of that paint, turn the hilly areas into grass, smooth them with the terrain softening tool and use the stone paver paint with just narrow pathways here and there. I think this will help it look less busy.

I love the grasses you've used. I think you have made a very clever lot and you are not as disorganized as you thought. Maybe just edit a bit more. Nothing else really jumped out at me as anything I could offer advice on. You have already come a long way with this lot. I like it a lot!

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,522 Member
    edited April 2014
    Your WIP is looking very nice! :) It looks great how you have done the bridges over the water. Great layout of the various areas of the outdoors. Sims will enjoy milking the cows, harvesting honey from the hives and playing with chickens or collecting eggs from the chicken coop at their home. It looks great how you have placed the fruit trees and other harvestable plants along the side of the tractor track. Nice hot tub area for sims to enjoy relaxing outdoors in the tub with nice surroundings to see . It looks great how you have a garden area with the swift gro item there, Great area for sims to have throwing water balls .Great exterior of the home building! The WIP is looking great! :)
  • oXseashellXooXseashellXo Posts: 678 Member
    edited April 2014
    One thing that jumps out and catches my eye is the red pansies. I think they may be too deep of a color, too strong for the rest of your color palette. Try the purple pansies or the white daisies instead. See what you think. Looking again, the red poppies jump out too. Maybe the lavender would give you the same wild effect, but blend more.

I was going for a pink and red palate, but I did always think there was something funny about the plants. I assumed it was the layout, but it must just be the color. Thanks for the advice :)
    The other thing that stood out was the terrain paint that looks like stones set in grass. I think a little goes a long way with that one. Maybe instead of whole sections of that paint, turn the hilly areas into grass, smooth them with the terrain softening tool and use the stone paver paint with just narrow pathways here and there. I think this will help it look less busy.

I was considering getting rid of the stepping stone paint entirely and using the pastel cobblestone paint instead. I will try your method first and see if it helps :) The grass is actually the standard grass that came with Roaring Heights. EA did not provide it as a usable terrain paint :( so it's just what was there, and I'm unable to really blend it with my changes like I usually would.
    I love the grasses you've used. I think you have made a very clever lot and you are not as disorganized as you thought. Maybe just edit a bit more. Nothing else really jumped out at me as anything I could offer advice on. You have already come a long way with this lot. I like it a lot!

These are very kind words! Thank you so much! I've been working on this lot for so long that I might just only be able to see the faults and not the good. Once I make changes I will post new pictures :)

edited April 2014
    rosemow wrote:
    Your WIP is looking very nice! :) It looks great how you have done the bridges over the water. Great layout of the various areas of the outdoors. Sims will enjoy milking the cows, harvesting honey from the hives and playing with chickens or collecting eggs from the chicken coop at their home. It looks great how you have placed the fruit trees and other harvestable plants along the side of the tractor track. Nice hot tub area for sims to enjoy relaxing outdoors in the tub with nice surroundings to see . It looks great how you have a garden area with the swift gro item there, Great area for sims to have throwing water balls .Great exterior of the home building! The WIP is looking great! :)

That's so sweet of you to say! The area with the hot tub is actually my favorite. You always have the nicest things to say of everyone's builds :) You might just be the kindest person on this site :) :P
  • TarynTempestwindTarynTempestwind Posts: 4,438 Member
    edited April 2014
    Seashell! Thank you for the little dress you sent me!

Instead of painting over the terrain, just erase it. It will revert back to original color. in the paint section...see the eraser? It's under the paintbrush. I have seen on the forums that many people didn't realize there is an eraser!

And for me, it's not the plant layout...it's definitely the color. They are tricky reds...the new red pansies are so deep, and the poppies are so punchy-orange red.

There are two red roses in base game though that are a much easier red to work with. Try them for your reds. I do think the purples and lavender would compliment the color and the style too.

I do think you are right about Rosemow too. she really is just the kindest person!
  • donnabaileydonnabailey Posts: 683 Member
    edited April 2014
    Wow ... this is just ... stunning! So beautiful and so realistic and natural looking. I hope you do share it, I will definitely leave you a rec. Good job! :thumbup:

PS I agree with you both about Rosemow. In my mind she's sort of the angel of the Sims 3 Forums. :)
    Appaloosa Plains Townie Makeover Project!

The Claw Machine Diaries Challenge

Though nothing can bring back the hour
    Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
    We will grieve not, rather find
    Strength in what remains behind
  • DesiiAnoworDesiiAnowor Posts: 371 Member
    edited April 2014
    Your home is looking lovely! I especially like the flower covered porch awning/covers. I am gonna have to learn how to do those, I've seen them in several builds now.

I agree with Taryn about the pops of red flowers. I didn't really think the pansies were that bad; but the poppies seem out of place. Poppies are wild flowers (though you can get them in seed packs) and they do not seem to mesh well with the look of your farm.

Other than that, awesome!!
  • yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited April 2014
    Your WIP is looking great! :D I especially love the landscaping. Great job with the terrain paint. Looking forward to the finished build. :D
  • DolphineQDolphineQ Posts: 1,799 Member
    edited May 2014
    That is one fabulous build Seashell!
    I'm loving all the details, there are so many things to look at all around, my eyes just wander from picture to picture and back again, discovering new things every time.
    I can't wait to see more as you finish the build! :D
    Please share and support me in my work with rescue cats! https://www.gofundme.com/DolphineQCats

2rgmmvq.jpg
  • samj6samj6 Posts: 750 Member
    edited May 2014
    This looks awesome, you have created a very nice and detailed home :D
    edited May 2014
    Thank you everyone for your kind words and advice. I'm sorry I haven't replied until now. It's one of those things where I was about to reply, then got pulled away and forgot... I took all of your advice to heart and started my landscaping over completely. I used More colors with a softer palate and placed them in a more natural arrangement. I hope to post some pictures today.
    edited May 2014
    Here are a few pictures of the newly revised landscaping.

Screenshot-19.jpg

Screenshot-133.jpg

Screenshot-160.jpg

Screenshot-25.jpg

Screenshot-27.jpg

It's a little upscale for a farm, but I think it's turned out beautifully. :D I'll be creating a showcase thread to include pictures from the interior.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,522 Member
    edited May 2014
    The landscaping looks very nice! :) it looks very nice how you have done the flowers and rocks! Very nice area with how you have placed the tall trees , the sculpture and the flowers surrounding the sculpture. The placement of the sculptures amidst the flowers in the different areas adds a great look ! Very nice pool and hot tub area. Sims will enjoy relaxing on the loungers under the canopy, enjoying the outdoors air. It looks very nice how you have done the corner of flowers there, making it a nice sight for sims to see when relaxing in the hot tub. Very nice gate front entrance to the build. It looks very nice how you have done the flowers either side of the gate.
    It is very nice! :)
  • yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited May 2014
    Love the updates! I see a lot of nice MOO work! :thumbup: