Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tropical WIP, re-imagined: The Florida Keys

Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
Copied from a post below; I've re-imagined this world into a Florida Keys based world.

Okay, it's been a while since I posted an update on this world, between real life and some other CAW projects, I didn't have the time for any major work until recently.

During this time, Roaring Heights was released. RH is clearly Florida based, and I originally announced this world only the week before I went to Florida myself. This all got me thinking about making my own Florida based world, and I started messing about with making a mainland Florida based world, but I ended up not being very happy with it. Being perfectly honest, I actually started to lose a little interest in this world too, and I began to consider changing it up a little, rather than just making another Isla Paradiso. Eventually I came to the decision to combine the two, IP and RH, into a Florida Keys based world.

The world is only inspired by the Keys, it's not intended to be a replica, though I've taken ideas from the Keys and Florida in general. I have an entire medium-sized island that I plan to devote to a resort, with hotels, some tourist-y attractions, and some theme parks with the RH roller coaster. The largest island will probably be loosely Key West based. I'm including my own version of the Overseas Highway, though part of this will need thoroughly tested, I explain why later. There will also be a few "simmified" references to Florida, such as "Fort Simmington" and the "Landgraab Space Center" :P

The world will include 8 uncharted islands, mod free, hopefully more than 4 diving spots, and will probably contain a moderate amount of Store content.

The basic sculpting and painting are done, I'm now onto placing roads and lots. I;ve used the textures and INI files from Roaring Heights, which I believe where extracted by Zerbu.

Another important part of the world is that I used real values in the SkyCommon INI file. As I'm sure most will be aware, the altitude that the Sun rises above the horizon changes throughout the year, due to the tilt of the Earth, and the closer you get to the equator, the higher the Sun rises. Using the latitude of a random point in Key West, I calculated exactly how many degrees above the horizon that the Sun rises in Key West at the Equinox, and used that value in the INI file, as well as the real sunset and rise times of Key West at the Equinox. I used the Equinox because, as the middle of the two Solstices, it actually works out as the average values of the Solstices (for the Sun's altitude, I don't know about sunrise and set times).

To put it simply; the Sun in this world rises to the same altitude that the real Sun rises in Key West on the Equinox, and it rises and sets at the same time as it would in Key West too.

If you actually watch the sun set you'll see these islands are actually to the east of the mainland as opposed to the west. This is actually a mistake, I didn't even think about that when sculpting, but despite the realistic values in the INI files, it's not supposed to be a replica, like I said, and it doesn't really make a difference - this is The Sims' world afterall, it's not our world :P

Now onto some pictures. The first two are just overview shots of the world, with (temporary) hidden island fog off, and then on.
2.png"width=640height=480
3.png"width=640height=480

The Overseas Highway will consist of several recoloured (CC free) flat bridges from Supernatural, put together. It will run between the four main islands, starting with the one at the very bottom, then to the one just in front, onto the one with the lake, then ending at the largest island away at the back.

An experimental part of the Overseas Highway is what's pretty much my own version of the Seven Mile Bridge; the highway continues from the bottom island, way off the map to the distant terrain that represents the mainland. Like I said, this is experimental, and will require thorough testing, because the bridges go off the map, so it's possible that it could turn into a routing disaster, in which case I'd have to remove it. However, I don't think I will have to do so. Also, note that most of the bridge is purely decor, Sims won't be able to dirve down it, because it goes off map.

Here's a picture of it, extending away into the distance. The DT isn't quite as flat as I would have liked for Florida, but it's the closest one I could get.
1.png"width=640height=480

Since that's about it for pictures showing what I've done so far, here are a few other general pictures. The first shows the sun setting over the Seven Mile Bridge, the other shows it rising.
4.png"width=640height=480
5.png"width=640height=480

Specs
Expansion Packs:
WA/Amb/LN/Gen/Pets/ST/SN/SE/UL/IP/ITF

Stuff Packs*:
HELS/FL/OL/TL/MS/70s, 80s & 90s/Movie Stuff

Store Content*:
The Boardwalk Venue

*Stuff Packs and Store content not required but highly recommended.

The world is completely CC Free

Please leave any comments/feedback/suggestions here :)

Comments

• Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited August 2013
    Just noticed today's date (in the UK) is a palindrome :P

Anyway, I spent some time working on this earlier in the week, and I've completed the basic sculpting and painting.

There may still be more to be changed, but the basics are done.

Ignore the little rocks on the islands in these pics, except for those on the waterfalls. The ones on the waterfalls are there to stay; the rest are just temporary markers to do with my layering system :)

Here's a couple of overview pics (click to see full size):
    world12wm.png"width=640
    world11wm.png"width=640
    world6wm.png"width=640
    world9wm.png"width=640

And some general pictures:
    world7wm.png"width=640
    world8wm.png"width=640
    world10wm.png"width=640
  • Amerikajin42Amerikajin42 Posts: 123 Member
    edited September 2013
    This world is beautiful! I know it's still in it's rough stages but I'm already in love with it! Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for tropical island worlds. That aside, I'm really liking this world and this thread is totally bookmarked!
    edited September 2013
    This world is beautiful! I know it's still in it's rough stages but I'm already in love with it! Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for tropical island worlds. That aside, I'm really liking this world and this thread is totally bookmarked!
    edited April 2014
    Okay, it's been a while since I posted an update on this world, between real life and some other CAW projects, I didn't have the time for any major work until recently.

During this time, Roaring Heights was released. RH is clearly Florida based, and I originally announced this world only the week before I went to Florida myself. This all got me thinking about making my own Florida based world, and I started messing about with making a mainland Florida based world, but I ended up not being very happy with it. Being perfectly honest, I actually started to lose a little interest in this world too, and I began to consider changing it up a little, rather than just making another Isla Paradiso. Eventually I came to the decision to combine the two, IP and RH, into a Florida Keys based world.

The world is only inspired by the Keys, it's not intended to be a replica, though I've taken ideas from the Keys and Florida in general. I have an entire medium-sized island that I plan to devote to a resort, with hotels, some tourist-y attractions, and some theme parks with the RH roller coaster. The largest island will probably be loosely Key West based. I'm including my own version of the Overseas Highway, though part of this will need thoroughly tested, I explain why later. There will also be a few "simmified" references to Florida, such as "Fort Simmington" and the "Landgraab Space Center" :P

The world will include 8 uncharted islands, mod free, hopefully more than 4 diving spots, and will probably contain a moderate amount of Store content.

The basic sculpting and painting are done, I'm now onto placing roads and lots. I;ve used the textures and INI files from Roaring Heights, which I believe where extracted by Zerbu.

Another important part of the world is that I used real values in the SkyCommon INI file. As I'm sure most will be aware, the altitude that the Sun rises above the horizon changes throughout the year, due to the tilt of the Earth, and the closer you get to the equator, the higher the Sun rises. Using the latitude of a random point in Key West, I calculated exactly how many degrees above the horizon that the Sun rises in Key West at the Equinox, and used that value in the INI file, as well as the real sunset and rise times of Key West at the Equinox. I used the Equinox because, as the middle of the two Solstices, it actually works out as the average values of the Solstices (for the Sun's altitude, I don't know about sunrise and set times).

To put it simply; the Sun in this world rises to the same altitude that the real Sun rises in Key West on the Equinox, and it rises and sets at the same time as it would in Key West too.

If you actually watch the sun set you'll see these islands are actually to the east of the mainland as opposed to the west. This is actually a mistake, I didn't even think about that when sculpting, but despite the realistic values in the INI files, it's not supposed to be a replica, like I said, and it doesn't really make a difference - this is The Sims' world afterall, it's not our world :P

Now onto some pictures. The first two are just overview shots of the world, with (temporary) hidden island fog off, and then on.
    2.png"width=640height=480
    3.png"width=640height=480

The Overseas Highway will consist of several recoloured (CC free) flat bridges from Supernatural, put together. It will run between the four main islands, starting with the one at the very bottom, then to the one just in front, onto the one with the lake, then ending at the largest island away at the back.

An experimental part of the Overseas Highway is what's pretty much my own version of the Seven Mile Bridge; the highway continues from the bottom island, way off the map to the distant terrain that represents the mainland. Like I said, this is experimental, and will require thorough testing, because the bridges go off the map, so it's possible that it could turn into a routing disaster, in which case I'd have to remove it. However, I don't think I will have to do so. Also, note that most of the bridge is purely decor, Sims won't be able to dirve down it, because it goes off map.

Here's a picture of it, extending away into the distance. The DT isn't quite as flat as I would have liked for Florida, but it's the closest one I could get.
    1.png"width=640height=480

Since that's about it for pictures showing what I've done so far, here are a few other general pictures. The first shows the sun setting over the Seven Mile Bridge, the other shows it rising.
    4.png"width=640height=480
    5.png"width=640height=480
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • GrandmothergamerGrandmothergamer Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited April 2014
    :mrgreen: Thank you for the link!
    I've bookmarked it, and this will be a dream world.
    I love the tropical worlds, and RH's content.
    It would be wonderful to play with dive sites and all the IP content without routing errors and lag.
    Will it be a real city class world? That would really put it at my number one world ever!
    I am just imagining what it would be like for a Sim to ride the slower Beast motorcycle along that bridge..........*dreamy*
  • StefferCStefferC Posts: 102 New Member
    edited April 2014
    Looks great. You re-created that highway from the tip of the Florida peninsula to the keys really well.
    edited April 2014
    :mrgreen: Thank you for the link!
    I've bookmarked it, and this will be a dream world.
    I love the tropical worlds, and RH's content.
    It would be wonderful to play with dive sites and all the IP content without routing errors and lag.
    Will it be a real city class world? That would really put it at my number one world ever!
    I am just imagining what it would be like for a Sim to ride the slower Beast motorcycle along that bridge..........*dreamy*
    Hi Grandmothergamer, thanks :)

I'm not sure yet whether it will be classed as a city or suburb. The only real differences I know of are that city worlds don't spawn strays, so it could be useful to do that in order to stop lag from strays getting stuck on islands (I've heard that IP is set up not to spawn strays either), but city worlds also spawn more cars and taxis to make them look more active, which may or may not look good in this world. I probably wouldn't know until later on in development :)

Also, sorry, I meant to say earlier, unfortunately, most of the bridge won't be routable, because it goes off map, it's mostly just there for decor, to make give the appearance of the islands being connected to the mainland in the distance.

StefferC wrote:
    Looks great. You re-created that highway from the tip of the Florida peninsula to the keys really well.
    Thanks :) I ended up happier with the bridge than I thought I would be, actually, especially after I recoloured it to replace some of the old wood textures with concrete and get the road matching those on land.
  • FelixFFFelixFF Posts: 53 New Member
    edited April 2014
    This is Amazing! I'm so happy that someone finaly is working on this wonderful islands!
  • moefymoefy Posts: 251 Member
    edited April 2014
    great :D:D
    edited April 2014
    FelixFF wrote:
    This is Amazing! I'm so happy that someone finaly is working on this wonderful islands!
    moefy wrote:
    great :D:D
  • crs9900crs9900 Posts: 711 Member
    edited April 2014
    It looks wonderful and beautiful already :shock:
    So happy someone is working on a world like this.

Can't wait.
    Hurry, hurry, hurry.
    Need more pics, please :D

Please keep us updated!!
  • FreygeaFreygea Posts: 867 Member
    edited May 2014
    I am very much looking forward to this world. I live about a mile from 7 mile bridge. I knew exactly what bridge that was when I saw the pic.