Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

One-a-Week Poetry Contest: Week 2 - Rispetto - CLOSED

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,594 Member
    edited April 2014
    Very nicely written poem jezebelthenun. It is very eloquently composed and thoughtfully written.

Great composing of your poem Ciane.
  • ErnesaTErnesaT Posts: 7,474 Member
    edited April 2014
    I finally found my book that contained my poetry! I'm pretty sure my dead computer has older ones, but I'll worry about that later. >_<

So, I can't really think of anything for war right now, or more like I would prefer not to think of it, so I decided to post a poem of mine that I wrote back in my Junior year of high school.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Lies and Loneliness

There are lies surrounding loneliness.
    One thinks that to be alone
    There must be no one,
    That there is no one to contact
    Or to come in contact with.

But the truth, it is surprising,
    Is that you are never alone.
    There are always people to call,
    And there are always people to touch.

But, that gaze you feel on your being,
    That never seems to shake
    Even as you look about
    With nothing in sight,
    That is the watchful gaze
    That belongs to your deceased friends and families.

So you see,
    To be alone would suggest
    That you are the sole existence
    In the universe.

And that, my friend, is a lie to yourself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm not the best at poetry. :oops:

Very nice
    yY5vKua.png[img][/img]
    edited April 2014
    I had to laugh at that conversation you had with your grandfather! Too adorable. :lol: I also love your poem you wrote for him.

He was a lot of fun
    yY5vKua.png[img][/img]
  • BklynbkbPlayerBklynbkbPlayer Posts: 49 Member
    edited April 2014
    Hello, everyone. I have been reading and enjoying your poems all week. They were moving, each one. I couldn't believe the depth you each managed with such a restrictive poem form!

When I first saw the topic and form this week, I immediately composed a silly poem about shopping at clearance racks. After reading your work I couldn't possibly post that. It felt mean :( Here is the one I came up with to match the somber spirit in this thread. Thank you again for all your beautiful and inspiring writing!

What We Lost

So, yeah, my city was attacked
    Thirteen years ago. "Keep us safe!"
    Became the call to arms. In fact,
    Protecting "freedom" starts to chafe.

I know little about this war
    But wonder: Who will answer for
    Losing American ideals?
    Safety gained; Democracy reels.
    edited April 2014
    Hello. I am very sorry if my above poem made anyone feel upset because it may have seemed I was somehow against the amazing people who daily put their lives on the line for American ideals, or didn't respect their sacrifices and the sacrifices of those who love them.

"Thank You"

Although sometimes I do have doubts
    About just what we're fighting for,
    Those who've taken different routes
    Don't get to wonder about war.

We're all so very lucky to
    Have people that are brave like you.
    From morning time to setting sun,
    Thank you, soldiers, for all you've done.
  • BlythelyreBlythelyre Posts: 4,357 Member
    edited April 2014
    Voting Time! :mrgreen:
    14941955179_f9373f55cd_o.jpg
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited April 2014
    My votes to JeztheNun who wrote three stanzas in this style (though I am not sure if that follows rispetto rules or if it must end with just the abab ccdd)... I do love the sentiment that one should not cause harm!

and to BklynPlayer who wrote two rispettoes that each have the wonderful iambic meter and depict honesty of feeling. (I love the sentiment in the first and understand totally the loss of freedom in democracy!)

Good luck to all. I loved all the poems.
  • FleeraFleera Posts: 313 Member
    edited April 2014
    Thank you to Rosemow and WrathofCath for your kind words about my poem! :D

Again, this has been so difficult to choose winners. All of the poems were created with such intense feeling and were beautifully crafted.

I will have to choose Thelessy and jezebelthenun (for Regrets Memorial).
  • jezebelthenunjezebelthenun Posts: 2,090 Member
    edited April 2014
    ciane and Fleera, thank you for the votes! And for everyone's kind words, I'm humbled.

There are always so many creative minds on this forum. It really is what keeps me coming back. So many beautiful sentiments, and some ugly one's, too. (Which aways make for raw, honest writing, in my opinion) It was particularly hard for me to choose for this subjects, but in the end WibbleLikeAJelly's Butterfly and ciane's last poem because the lines, "Be proud! The courage you have found Will now replace the loss of soul," were so bitterly delivered, but in such a way that, psychologically, would be effective in bolstering a soldier in the throes of wartime. Bravo to both of your for writing stirring works.

And congrats to everyone on such wonderful poetry. I'm loving every second in this thread.
  • Coffefreak4LifeCoffefreak4Life Posts: 8,082 Member
    edited April 2014
    First off props to everyone for writing about the subject its not an easy thing to do . Now for my votes .

My votes go to ErnesaT and Fleera

honorable mentions to
    MizoreYukii and WrathofCath
  • mjdrgnptmjdrgnpt Posts: 303 Member
    edited April 2014
    So many entries! And so many powerful poems. I finally narrowed down my favorites to:
    ErnesaT for "The Preacher’s Boy"
    and jezebelthenun for "The Time May Come".
    edited April 2014
    Hello, all. It is again difficult to choose favorites, because I did love all of the poems. I cannot imagine how I will make a decision once all the people who have been saying they don't write much anymore get back into a writing groove! :shock:

ciane, thank you very much for the kind comments and the unexpected nomination! I was worried about my first poem and you made me feel better. Thank you.

My votes are for: ciane's second poem and ErnesaT's second poem.

I wish I could vote for them all!
  • WibbleLikeAJellyWibbleLikeAJelly Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited April 2014
    Jez, thank you ever so much for the vote! To stand out for even one person among all the amazing work really is praise indeed. P

This week I shall vote for Jezebelthenun's Regret's Memorial, and ErnesaT's The Preacher's Boy. Such moving work.

Thank you to everyone for contributing. An invigorating and inspiring week of poetry!
  • ElementDragonElementDragon Posts: 859 Member
    edited April 2014
    Again another week of lovely works.

I'm going to have to go with Thelessy's Gratitude and BklynbkbPlayer "Thank You" as they struck how I feel about the topic the best.

Thank you guys for sharing your works and for once again tolerating mine. Hopefully I'll get to see more from you all next week. :)
    edited April 2014
    Thank you, ElementDragon, for the nomination! I am so honored that my poem had meaning for you. Reading your comment really made my day! :D

Since the contest is closed, I thought it might be okay to share my first, silly Rispetto. No one but me will ever see it if I don't (well, maybe my mom) and I thought it was cute. Totally inappropriate considering how serious the topic was, but still cute. I hope someone gets a smile from it.

Gosh, I am like a posting machine :roll:

"Blood Sport"

Neiman's, Prada, Berdorf's or Saks -
    Their appeal will never tire.
    But Marshall's freakin' clearance racks
    Are like the angels' heav'nly choir!

You eye, you stalk, you pounce, you claim.
    "O.M.G! Is this a brand name?"
    It's not a tame day at the store...
    Stand back, ladies. This is a war.
  • BlythelyreBlythelyre Posts: 4,357 Member
    edited April 2014
  • WrathofCathWrathofCath Posts: 4,419 Member
    edited April 2014
    :lol::lol::lol: bklynbkbPlayer, I LOVE it!!! :lol::lol::lol:

You just made my day! :mrgreen:

On a serious note, I would like to vote for Jezebelthenun and ErnesaT.
    edited April 2014
    I love it too, Bklyn! Fun! (And thank you very kindly for your vote. It made me very happy.)

And yay for a new week and a new poem to write.

And thank you for the wonderful comment, Jez. I was a bit worried about that part.
  • ThelessyThelessy Posts: 1,764 Member
    edited April 2014
    This was really hard to pick, I applaud you all for writing about such a hard subject. It's very important to share the dark sides of the human experience as well as the light
    I think I will pick Ciane with an unkind thought, as a thoughtful reflection on how hate can turn to violence and Rosemow with telegram from the war fields for her thoughts on a universal human experience that transcends time and politics, the gut-wrenching agony of bad news that happens so often in war times.
    edited April 2014
    I'm torn because I have 4 and it's hard narrow them down.

I have to go with Rosemow because her poem paints an awful but true picture of the death detail.

My second goes to Wibblelikeajelly.
    yY5vKua.png[img][/img]
    edited April 2014
    Thank you all for your votes. I think everyone did a great job but y'all know that "The Preacher's Boy" is not a Rispetto. :lol:
    yY5vKua.png[img][/img]
  • PurpleAthenaOwlPurpleAthenaOwl Posts: 101 Member
    edited April 2014
    I don't have words to express all of the feelings I felt reading everyone's poems.

My votes go to: Thelessy (I could see and feel the meadow when reading this) and
    mjdrgnpt ( This poem absolutely fascinated me)
    edited April 2014
    Thank you, theLessy, for both the comment and the vote. Each are appreciated very much. :)
  • MizoreYukiiMizoreYukii Posts: 6,566 Member
    edited April 2014