Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sam's Elizabethan Project

Comments

• SamiKatSamiKat Posts: 3,786 Member
    edited March 2014
    bd9a9f40-ae06-4987-9e98-1c0acc7d55fb_zps3a4a3097.jpg?t=1395594952

Lala was hoping that I would upload Elizabeth separately while she waits for the rest of the household. So here she is:

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8091758

Traits
    Ambitious
    Commitment Issues
    Genius
    Hot-headed
    Irresistible

Lifetime Wish
    Leader of the Free World

Ten Fashion Facts about Queen Elizabeth I:
    "1. She was a notorious clotheshorse and had a wardrobe that would be the envy of any fashion-minded woman. It's estimated that she owned at least 2,000 pairs of gloves alone.

2. Elizabeth didn't wear makeup until a bout with smallpox in 1562 left her with a lot of facial scars. That's when she started to really cake it on. It wasn't like today's mineral makeup though. Elizabeth's makeup was actually deadly. She painted her face with white lead and vinegar, which poisoned her slowly over time.

3. Despite popular belief, dental care was very important to Elizabethans and they realized that hygiene was key to keeping their teeth. Even so, the means they had to keep their teeth clean were not so great. Even Elizabeth herself ended up having so many rotted teeth that her cheeks started to cave in from lack of support. To combat this and give the impression of robust health, she stuffed her cheeks with rags for public appearances.

4. Although she loved ornate dresses, Elizabeth shunned the jewels and embroidered silks in private and wore plain dressing gowns. She was reputed to wear the same one for days on end when she could.

5. She may have worn the first wristwatch to appear in England. One of the Queen's suitors (he was also a Queen's Favorite) presented her with a watch face that was enclosed in a bracelet. Previously, portable timepieces had been limited mostly to pocket watches.

6. Even Elizabeth knew the power of the LBD (that's little black dress). Although her closet contained dresses in all colors imaginable, her favorites were ones that were black and white. She felt that these colors best represented purity and virginity "“ she was, after all, known as the Virgin Queen. Although in her case, the "little" in "little black dress" hardly has a place . The trend at the time was to wear farthingales, hoop skirts and petticoats under a dress.

7. Despite her lavish wardrobe, Elizabeth actually didn't spend that much of her budget on clothes, even spending just a fifth of what some of her male successors spent. Many of her clothes were gifts, and she also had existing dresses constantly restyled to look different by cutting off sleeves or adding embellishments.

8. It wasn't uncommon for Elizabeth to pay her ladies in waiting with clothes from her wardrobe instead of with actual money.

9. It has been speculated that the Queen loved having so many rich clothes because she severely lacked them as a child. After Henry VIII declared that her mother, Anne Boleyn, was a witch and had her beheaded, Elizabeth was considered illegitimate and received pretty poor treatment. Her nanny had to write to the King and his staff to beg for some decent clothes for his daughter to wear, saying,

'beseeching you to be [a] good lord to my lady...that she may have some raiment for she hath neither gown, not kirtle nor sleeves, nor railes, nor body stitchets, nor handkerchiefs, nor mufflers nor biggins. All this her grace must have. I have driven off as long as I can, that be my troth I can drive it no longer. Beseeching you my lord that ye will see that her grace may have that [which] is needful for her.'

10. Elizabeth was kind of like Lady Gaga. OK, I might be exaggerating a little, but what I mean is that she was a fashion trendsetter. Her fashions would be so outrageous in terms of volume, embellishment and extravagance that no one other than the Queen herself could possibly have pulled them off. Instead, the styles trickled down and became watered-down copies as it went through each level of society. Her ladies-in-waiting might have decent facsimiles of her styles, but by the time they reached the common folk, they were bare bones copies. It's sort of like seeing a crazy outfit on the runway at Fashion Week and then finding the more wearable, affordable version of it at Forever 21 three months later."

~ by Stacy Conradt for Mental Floss, January 15, 2010

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited March 2014
    Great job with Elizabeth! Love her gown and her jewelery! Recommended. :thumbup:
    edited March 2014
    Christopher Hatton, Lord Chancellor

ChristopherHattonCollage_zps9c73f32b.jpg

Christopher Hatton remained a permanent bachelor to stay in Elizabeth's favor.

"Queen Elizabeth had a peculiar name for most of her ministers and favourites; Burghley was her 'Spirit,' Walsingham was her 'Moon,' and Lady Norris was her 'Crow.' There is some reason for supposing that Leicester was called her 'Turk,' and Hatton was certainly 'Lyddes' and her 'Mutton.' ~ "Memoirs of the Life and Times of Sir Christopher Hatton" by Nicholas Harris Nicolas, 1847

Hatton signed himself her ‘most happy bondman, Lyddes.’ (Translation: "lids," the Earl of Leicester being called her "eyes.") Elizabeth also called him her "mutton," her "bellwether," and her "pecora campi."

Here is Wikipedia's entry for him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Hatton

He will be uploaded as part of Household I soon.

Traits
    Ambitious
    Charismatic
    Friendly
    Schmoozer
    Star Quality

Lifetime Wish
    Lifestyle of the Rich and Famous
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,567 Member
    edited March 2014
    Your simversion of Christopher Hatton looks great :) Great outfit that he is wearing . The choice of traits for him is great. Nice photos that you have taken of him sitting at a desk reading a book with the background of bookcases, It looks great how you have done his face.
  • nikola_arsovnikola_arsov Posts: 24 New Member
    edited March 2014
    That's a beautiful dress you got on her.
  • IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    edited March 2014
    Looking good, Sam!!!

Keep them coming -- I got a spot for them in my game :)
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
    edited March 2014
    Thank you Rose, Nikola and Lala!
    edited March 2014
    Christopher looks great! He looks so real! WOW! Did you upload him? :D
    edited March 2014
    yanti68 wrote:
    Christopher looks great! He looks so real! WOW! Did you upload him? :D

Hi, Yanti! Lord Hatton will not be uploaded separately. Only Elizabeth I from Household I was uploaded individually. Hatton, the maids of honor and the gardeners will be uploaded with Elizabeth as part of Household I shortly. I've just been working on their pictures and I will get the entire household launched after I've posted those entries. Glad you like him! :D
    edited March 2014
    21ab1db4-56bb-481e-8bfb-413b51448971_zps5e504bed.jpg?t=1396198031

[img]http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af328/samiam662/34bcf434-5073-4d2e-aa3c-53e1557e4b59_zpsee91eb47.jpg?t=1396202298 "width=450"[/img]

ELIZABETH THROCKMORTON (April 16, 1565-1647)
    Elizabeth Throckmorton was the daughter of Sir Nicholas Throckmorton (1515-1571) and Anne Carew (d. 1587). She lived with her mother until she went to court as a maid of honor. She was sworn in at Hampton Court on November 8, 1584. In June 1591, she secretly wed Sir Walter Raleigh [1552-October 28, 1618]. A son, Damerei (March 29,1592-October 1592), was born at Mile End, her brother Arthur's house. He was baptized on April 10, with Robert Devereux, earl of Essex, Arthur Throckmorton, and Arthur's wife, Anna Lucas, as godparents, then sent to Enfield to a Throckmorton relative while Elizabeth returned to court on April 12.The marriage could not be kept secret and the queen imprisoned both husband and wife for daring to marry without permission. She considered it particularly egregious that Elizabeth had returned to her post as a maid of honor after giving birth to a child. In the Tower that autumn, Elizabeth was ill and kept separated from her husband. She wrote to Sir Moyle Finch and his wife (Elizabeth Heneage) hoping they would prevail upon Lady Finch's father, Sir Thomas, the queen's vice chamberlain, to plead her case. Encouraged by the response she got, she then wrote to Heneage himself and to Sir Robert Cecil. She was released on December 22,1592 and wanted to return to court but she was never allowed to. She lived at Mile End or at Sherborne and bore two more children, Walter ([593-1617/18] and Carew (February 1605-1666). By the time Carew was born, Raleigh had been convicted of treason and was being held in the Tower of London, where he remained until 1616. At Elizabeth’s urging, he had backed a conspiracy to put Lady Arbella Stuart on the throne. Elizabeth eventually moved into the Tower with him and her son was born there in February of 1605. Thanks largely to Elizabeth's efforts, King James paid her £8000 in cash and an annuity of £400 for Sherborne in 1608. She was less successful in obtaining repayment of a loan of £500 (Elizabeth's marriage portion) that her mother made to the earl of Huntingdon when Elizabeth was still a child. In 1616, Raleigh was released to lead an expedition to Guiana. When this was a spectacular failure, he was returned to the Tower and executed under his original conviction for treason. Elizabeth is said to have had his head embalmed and to have kept it with her in a red leather bag until her death. Biography: Bess by Anna Beer; Karen Robertson, "Negotiating Favour: the Letters of Lady Ralegh" in Women and Politics in Early Modern England, 1450-1500, edited by James Daybell, and "Tracing Women's Connections from a Letter by Elizabeth Ralegh" in Maids and Mistresses, Cousins and Queens, edited by Susan Frye and Karen Robertson. Portraits: as a young woman, c. 1591; in middle age, c. 1603; in widowhood with her son Carew, c. 1619; others not authenticated.

~ from Kathy Lynn Emerson. “A Who’s Who of Tudor Women”

[img]http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af328/samiam662/Trentham_zps798e96fb.jpg?t=1396202220 "width=450"[/img]

ELIZABETH TRENTHAM (c.1559-December 1612)
    Elizabeth Trentham was the daughter of Sir Thomas Trentham of Rochester, Staffordshire (April 21, 1538-May 1587) and Jane Sneyd (d.1612+). Her father left her a marriage portion of £1000 in his will, payable in three yearly installments of 500 marks each. She was a maid of honor to Queen Elizabeth in 1588/9. In September 1591 she became the second wife of Edward de Vere, earl of Oxford (April 12,1550-June 24, 1604). She was the mother of his son Henry (February 24, 1593-June 1625). In 1601, she accused Arthur Mills, one of Oxford’s servants, of stealing a casket from her. He was tried and acquitted of the charge. Although some sources credit Elizabeth with saving Oxford’s estates from bankruptcy, in 1609 she was forced to sell her home and live with her son because she had no money to maintain her own establishment. Things appear to have improved, however, as she entertained King James and his retiniue at Havering-atte-Bower in mid-1612. Her will, dated November 25, 1612 and proved February 15, 1613, left bequests to her mother, two sisters, a brother, her son, and St. Augustine’s Church, as well as to a goddaughter named Vere Trentham and her waiting woman, Margery Flower. The latter got a tawny satin gown, £10, and half of the countess's "wearing linen." The entire will can be found at Oxford-Shakespeare.com. Elizabeth was buried at Hackney, Middlesex on January 3, 1613, with her husband.

[img]http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af328/samiam662/Hopton_zps81d61846.jpg?t=1396202117 "width=450"[/img]

ANNE HOPTON (1561-May1625)
    Anne Hopton was the daughter of Sir Owen Hopton in Yoxford, Suffolk (c.1519-September 1595) and Anne Echingham (d.1599). She is said to have been a maid of honor to Queen Elizabeth in 1588/9 but other sources say she was married to Henry Wentworth, 3rd baron Wentworth (1558-August 16,1593) around 1585. Maids of honor were, by definition, unmarried. With Wentworth she had three children, Thomas, earl of Cleveland (1591-1667), Henry (d.1644), and Jane. In 1595 she married Sir William Pope of Wroxton (1573-1633) who was later created earl of Downe. She had a son, William (1596-1624), by her second husband. Portraits: by Marcus Gheeraerts, 1596, pregnant with son William and shown with her children from her first marriage.

2444918e-dff2-43dc-9390-788a7a2873a8_zpsaf3f1813.jpg?t=1396197951
  • TarynTempestwindTarynTempestwind Posts: 4,438 Member
    edited March 2014
    Beautiful Sims, Sam! I loved the history and story behind them too. That is so neat to read about. These are awesome. Elizabeth is recc'd!
  • TarynTempestwindTarynTempestwind Posts: 4,438 Member
    edited March 2014
    Oh! And superb pictures!!,
    edited March 2014
    The Maids of Honour are very nice :) It is great to read about the background details of them. Nice photos of them posing together and riding the horses.
    edited March 2014
    Elizabeth's Gardeners

GardenersCollage_zps575bd75f.jpg?t=1396124495

George Hobson

There was actually a "George Hopton" working at Hampton Court as a gardener in 1588, but I changed his surname since there was already a maid of honor named Hopton in this household. See, this archive: http://lib-1.lse.ac.uk/archivesblog/?tag=hampton-court

Traits
    Loves the Outdoors
    Angler
    Handy
    Green Thumb
    Good Sense of Humor

John Tradescant

John Tradescent was a real horticulurist of this era who became a famous English naturalist, gardener, collector and traveler. He was sort of England's version of André Le Nôtre, on a somewhat smaller scale, of course. His son by the same name followed in his footsteps and they became known as "the Elder" and "the Younger." Tradescant may not actually have worked for Elizabeth. He was the gardener for nobleman and Elizabethan favorites such as Robert Cecil and George Villier, though. Here is the Wikipedia article about him, with a picture of him as an older man. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Tradescant_the_elder

Traits
    Artistic
    Gatherer
    Green Thumb
    Loves the Outdoors
    Adventurous

Naturally, both gardeners have the Perfect Garden Lifetime Wish.
    edited March 2014
    Household 1 in formal wear:

Queen Elizabeth I
    Christopher Hatton, Lord Chancellor
    Lady Bess Throckmorton
    Lady Elizabeth Trentham
    Lady Anne Hopton
    George Hobson, Gardener
    John Tradescant, Assistant Gardener

HouseholdFormalCollage_zpsf47bedb5.jpg?t=1396218899

<a href="http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8131760">Elizabeth I Household download link</a>
    edited March 2014
    Beautiful Sims, Sam! I loved the history and story behind them too. That is so neat to read about. These are awesome. Elizabeth is recc'd!

Thank you so much, Taryn! Great to see you!
    rosemow wrote:
    The Maids of Honour are very nice :) It is great to read about the background details of them. Nice photos of them posing together and riding the horses.

Rosemow, you are so sweet! Hugz!

edited March 2014
    The Elizabeth 1 Household looks great :) Their formal wear clothing looks very nice. Very nice picture that you have posted on the exchange link with the sims gathered around Queen Elizabeth who is sitting on her throne. It looks great that you have the gardener kneeling at her feet.
    Great photos that you have taken of the gardeners tending to the plants in the garden. Great traits that you have given to them and their LTW suits them well.
    edited March 2014
    Love them, Sam!! I am so excited to add them to my game -- which will be later today :)

Thank you so much for all of this!

:D
    edited March 2014
    Idontrcall wrote:
    Love them, Sam!! I am so excited to add them to my game -- which will be later today :)

Thank you so much for all of this!

:D

You are so welcome, Lala. I'm sorry that it has taken me this long to get the first household up, though I suspected it might. (I actually finished them a week ago.) I am really enjoying the process and am looking forward to having them all in my game, too. I still hope to finish the project this summer. Yikes - it's nearly April already, though. :lol:
    rosemow wrote:
    The Elizabeth 1 Household looks great :) Their formal wear clothing looks very nice. Very nice picture that you have posted on the exchange link with the sims gathered around Queen Elizabeth who is sitting on her throne. It looks great that you have the gardener kneeling at her feet.
    Great photos that you have taken of the gardeners tending to the plants in the garden. Great traits that you have given to them and their LTW suits them well.

Rosemow, wow. Your attention to detail always amazes me! You are such a treasure! :mrgreen:
  • Andromache2013Andromache2013 Posts: 277 Member
    edited March 2014
    Wow!! You are incredible!!

Keep the good work up! I love the little History tibbits
    edited April 2014
    Love the Elizabeth 1 household! The costumes/ period clothes are perfect! Recommended. :D
    edited May 2014
    Miss you, Sam!

Hope you are doing well, :)
    I know what you've been up to, Sam. ;)

Love them!!!!