Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Now What? - A few more questions

Several of the houses and community lots I placed in my SV edit show as only their shape, covered with grass terrain paint. There are four of them in this picture. I had them circled, but the circles refuse to show up here. You can see two houses like this in the center, a park at the right, and part of another house in the upper right corner.

CAWmess.jpg

These are all houses and community lots from the game library. Some of the others with this issue were saved from other worlds. All the buildings I made myself look fine. Once you get close to them, they assume their normal appearance.

All of the lots these are on were already in Sunset Valley, and they were all vacant before I started. Not all of the pre-existing lots that I placed houses on look like this, and none of the lots I added do. I thought this was a CAW issue, but when I exported my world to get a thumbnail shot in the game, they are the same way in the game. I tried going back into CAW, taking them into EIG, and bulldozing and replacing them there, but they still look like this. The only thing I haven't tried is deleting the lots in CAW, placing new ones, and going into EIG to place the houses again.

Has anyone come across this issue? Do you know a fix for it?

Comments

• IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited March 2014
    Thank you. I guess the one thing I did not want to do is the very thing I need to do. Sigh. I was hoping for an easier fix, because I'm kind of burned out on working on this world. So I guess I'll just let it rest for awhile, then get those lots deleted and replaced.
  • auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited March 2014
    try deleting the img files first. It's quick and dirty.
    edited March 2014
    I thought about doing that, but I got the impression that was a last resort. So I deleted and replaced all 15 lots. They all look just as they should now.

But now I have another issue. I thought I was done. All my edits were good. So I exported it and opened it in game to get a good look at the results of my efforts. And this is what I saw:

Lotedges.jpg

There are quite a few lots just like this. I don't know how many. I was so disgusted, I quit and went back to playing one of my sims, and I haven't gone back to look again.

None of the lots I added are like this. I examined all of those carefully and took care of issues like this before I considered them done. I didn't touch the lots that are like this. I didn't even mess with the road in front of them when I smoothed road sections that had gotten messed up by my editing the terrain near them. Some of these lots aren't even anywhere near anything I changed at all. They were not like this in Sunset Valley before I imported it into CAW. I didn't think I was going to have to go to every lot on the map and make sure they were all right.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited March 2014
    Hi :)

Yeah... things pile up when you think you're done.

With CAW, if you touch one side of the map you touch it all. The Conform Edges tool works well now. It should fix it..... I'd do all the lots- but make sure to watch each lot as it can and will sink/raise a lot if the lot has become uneven (editing the map even with the road smoothing tool can cause a lot to become uneven).

So, in game check each lot that needs to be fixed. :)

Save and back up. :)

edited March 2014
    I didn't know that whatever I do will affect the entire world. This is my first significant CAW project. The only world I ever made before wasn't really a world. I just took a flat height map, added lots of various sizes, nothing else, and exported it to use for sorting through all the lots and households in my library. I had so many duplicates and revisions of the same houses and households, it was the only way to sort them out and decide which to keep and which to throw away.

Anyway, I guess this is my learning project. So I'll just count it as an education, and fix those lots when I feel like getting back to it. For now, I'm going to take a break and just play my sims. The ones I want to move there can stay on hold for a while longer.

Besides, after reading a recent thread in the general discussion, I realized that maybe I don't really want so many community lots after all, if that's going to mean fewer sims at the lots where my sims go to find other sims to hang out with, or to play for tips. I might want to remove a couple of them.
  • Sneakfeline0Sneakfeline0 Posts: 1,235 Member
    edited March 2014

Try exporting your terrain map and then importing it back, it seems to work like a charm for me. :D
  • Sneakfeline0Sneakfeline0 Posts: 1,235 Member
    edited March 2014

Try exporting your terrain map and then importing it back, it seems to work like a charm for me. :D
    edited March 2014
    First, I should mention that I am patched only to 1.57, so I'm using an older version of CAW. Every time I fixed the lots and tried exporting again, I found more lots that I had fixed now had the seams at the edges again. It seemed like fixing one with the conform edge tool messed up the one on the other side of the road that I had done first. So finally, I went through and, one at a time, moved every lot slightly out of its place than back on, and fixed them all without any others getting messed up.

But now I have this problem:

Some of the lots are like this

toohigh.jpg

Or like this

dip.jpg

I had earlier fixed the same issue with Wagner's Repose by bulldozing it in EIG and using SetImportedTerrainOffset to replace it, and it worked well. If I do the same with all the lots that have this issue, will it fix them without breaking something else?

Also, if I start a game in my world, then work on it some more in CAW and replace the one I've started the game in with a new exported version of the same world, will I still be able to continue that game, so long as I don't touch the WPID file?

I tried a second quickie remake of SV with no new roads added, just a few new lots, and moving a few things around, and when exported, there were no problems with any of the lot edges. So, if I start a completely new world, or else completely remove all lots in an existing one, and make sure all the roads I want are in place before placing any lots, would I be able to make a world without having the seams at the lot edges?

And if were to remove all lots from an existing world, saving all the households to the library first, when I place the households back into the world, will all the relationships they were given when the world was originally made be restored? Will their stories originally programmed into the world still direct their actions?
    edited March 2014
    One last question. This is what some of the lots look like in map view:

mapview.jpg

These are all pre-existing lots, and they looked like this right from the first, before I even started working on them. They also look the same when I navigate to them in the game, until they are fully rendered. I tried bulldozing and replacing them in EIG, but it didn't change anything. If I delete the lots in CAW and replace them, will that fix this? To do that, I would have to evict households and save them to the bin, and I don't really want to risk breaking all their relationships and having to restore them all.

I was hoping before I started that this would be a relatively simple project, since all I really wanted to do was add a few more lots and group community lots from EPs together, instead of having them randomly placed with no rhyme or reason by the game. If it would work better to completely remove all lots and start from there, I guess I need to just plan on working on one small section at a time one or two evenings a week, and expect it to take a few months. I am very single-minded and goal oriented, so when I start a project, I tend to want to work on it to the exclusion of everything else until I finish it. It looks like I may have to seriously change my mode of operation for this one.