Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• CathasaighCathasaigh Posts: 26
    edited February 2014
    Did we ever get a ruling from a judge about the whole "traditional" thing? Can we use any American traditional architectural style or is there a specific one?

And with traditional interior decorating - you want the actual style or just what we deem traditional?

I don't mind open to interpretation but no direction bothers me. Always has - even in school. =(

P.S. I did U-stairs in my Victorian. They were a little bit of a pain but not too bad. The most annoying part was not being able to put curtains and stuff on the wall around them, even with MOO. There just simply was nothing for them to grab onto.
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    edited February 2014
    This challenge is crazy! The budget is difficult!

I have to agree on this one!! I've built two homes now and they are both well over the $60k budget. I, too, wanted to do a lot more decorating to make the home look 'lived' in....but I'm already so far over budget and I haven't even touched the outside landscaping.

Back to the drawing board again!! I thought I had a small enough home, but I guess not. I found a floor plan that I think will work this time around. And you know, they say 'third time is a charm'..so we'll see!

:lol: I also finally got the budget under control on the third house. Glad to see I am not the only one. I also had to keep making the houses smaller--and I hate not having space in my rooms! Luckily he is ex-military, and those folks are used to having a spartan lifestyle(especially those in the Navy), so I made do with more pattern on the walls and less pictures. I never seem to have enough money to show off more MOO. Maybe it is just me, but I could not fit a bridge on the lot either--well, not a real one.
  • MaryKupMaryKup Posts: 119 Member
    edited February 2014
    Cathasaigh wrote:
    Did we ever get a ruling from a judge about the whole "traditional" thing? Can we use any American traditional architectural style or is there a specific one?

And with traditional interior decorating - you want the actual style or just what we deem traditional?

I don't mind open to interpretation but no direction bothers me. Always has - even in school. =(

P.S. I did U-stairs in my Victorian. They were a little bit of a pain but not too bad. The most annoying part was not being able to put curtains and stuff on the wall around them, even with MOO. There just simply was nothing for them to grab onto.
    The tutorial I followed recommended putting up rails, widows,plants etc before you put in the bottom set of stairs
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited February 2014
    EleneK wrote:
    The main problem with the U-Shaped staircase is the strange leveling it does to the floor above making it use more room than it is worth. The fix to this is to include a ghost or turn level in your house. Using CFE you can lower the ghost level all the way to stage height. In essence, your stair is going from first floor to second and from second to third. This is great game and build wise but for BNS purposes it is problematic. The ghost level still costs almost the same as a full story (oh the budget) and it messes with your ability to put in ceilings on level one which in turn messes with your pictures(You see sky.) You also have to light it separately using Buydebug.

When not entering a challenge, he level can give you the illusion of high ceilings inside and some interesting architecture outside.

And which venue are we talking about? With the new stairs?

Wow! I did not know that about the lighting, so thanks for the heads-up. Those U-shaped stairs are really more of a pain than they are worth--but I still want to master them. :(
    The new venue is the Prism Art Studio http://store.thesims3.com/setsProductDetails.html?scategoryId=13570&productId=OFB-SIM3:71911&utm_source=Community+Splash&utm_medium=Banner&utm_campaign=Art+Studio&utm_content=TS3+Store

The stairs go straight and then turn to the right or the left--there are 2 (one each way).
    edited February 2014
    MaryKup wrote:
    Cathasaigh wrote:

The tutorial I followed recommended putting up and rails, widows,plants etc before you Putin the bottom set of stairs

The tutorial I was watching had the stairs made first--I don't see how you could do the upper stairs without the bottom ones. I will have to look for that one to watch as well. The more ways to do things, hopefully the easier it will be! :D
    edited February 2014
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM : David's Chambers #236-237

NAME: iampes23

LINK TO LOT: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8048541

LINK TO MEDIA: http://s97.photobucket.com/user/iampes23/slideshow/Davids Chambers

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8051544
    and the story
    http://s97.photobucket.com/user/iampes23/slideshow/Davids Chambers/David Enjoying His Chambers

LEVEL: intermediate

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 20x30 lot in Roaring Heights at 49 Beach Drive, $60,000

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: Since David has been in the military for most of his life, he is used to a spartan existence with only the necessities and few nick-knacks or decorations. He prefers an almost minimalistic feel to his home. His favorite color is brown, which is repeated in the slate tiling, wallpapers, and furniture while the bright greens compliment the rich browns to create a feeling of tranquility and ease. The overall effect is very pleasing and cozy and gives the home a warm, tropical feel. (media and price reflects a few changes made after the house was uploaded to the website)

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes, please

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: only my own patterns
  • gmcroziergmcrozier Posts: 1,078 Member
    edited February 2014
    I had an issue with budget as well, but I have managed to build 4 houses now that fit the criteria... now I just have to decide which one to use. I have a suburban home, a classic farmhouse, an island home and a 1950's traditional "Leave it to Beaver" home.
  • saint_gambisaint_gambi Posts: 286 Member
    edited February 2014
    Yeah this budget is kicking my butt too. I'm probably going to have to let go of this build and start another.
  • LebannaLebanna Posts: 1,157 Member
    edited February 2014
    Cathasaigh wrote:

The architectural style is not specified in the requirements, so no specific style is required, (open for interpretation) Though he does state in the text "fairly traditional" So that means no daring or styles that are out there. For example modern or futuristic.

As for the interior, that is stated in the requirements, even though we don't want to suppress anyone's creativity, there is a specific style that is called traditional. But it is totally up to you how you show it.

@Suepea: there are hot tubs in basegame? I thought they came with Late night and EP after that. But maybe with a patch :) I just googled it and came across: http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Hot_tub ,I'll go check in game later today.
    Writer for Platinum Simmers

Gallery ID: Annabelli_22
  • _Princess_Natasha__Princess_Natasha_ Posts: 626 Member
    edited February 2014
    This challenge is crazy! The budget is difficult!

I have to agree on this one!! I've built two homes now and they are both well over the $60k budget. I, too, wanted to do a lot more decorating to make the home look 'lived' in....but I'm already so far over budget and I haven't even touched the outside landscaping.

Back to the drawing board again!! I thought I had a small enough home, but I guess not. I found a floor plan that I think will work this time around. And you know, they say 'third time is a charm'..so we'll see!

Good luck! I'm considering doing a 2nd build. I wonder if I can make a smaller build with more clutter that I like better than my current one. Although I do really like the landscape on this one!
    edited February 2014
    This may help folks with the interior style confusion.

http://interiordec.about.com/od/traditionalstyle/a/traditionalstyl.htm

What is traditional style decorating and what is it not?

Traditional decorating is calm, orderly, and predictable.
    There is nothing wild or chaotic in a traditional room.

Furnishings are classic and might feel outdated.
    Nothing is a surprise. Pieces match and are consistent.

Furniture and accessories are place in pairs and
    centered in the room. There is nothing out of place
    or of a different style. Everything has the look that
    it goes together.

Traditional rooms are not ostentations but rather
    somewhat casual. Furniture pieces are often reproductions.
    Modern, eclectic pieces have no room in a traditional space.

Traditional style homes feel comfortable for any age
    group. It's a familiar look that you'd see in magazines
    or furniture show rooms. A traditional room is not a place
    to showcase a piece of modern art or stainless steel
    furniture.

Here are some of the elements of a traditional room.

Upholstered furniture in a traditional room exhibits
    classic lines and understated details. It is functional,
    unfussy, and restful looking. Edges are soft, smooth,
    and blend into the whole.

In general, a traditional room will use a mix of
    vertical lines with more restful horizontal lines.
    Gentle curves are seen in furniture, pillows, and
    accessories.

Fabrics in a traditional room are generally neither
    too shiny nor too textured. Florals, plain colors, muted
    plaids,

understated stripes, geometrics, tone-on-tone and small
    all-over patterns are common.

Color in a traditional room is often in a mid-range of
    tones, though very dark and very light colors can also
    be used. Pretty multi-color florals are often the basis
    of a traditional color scheme that uses the lightest color
    on the walls and deeper hues for upholstery and flooring.
    Avoid neon brights and jarring combinations.

The overall ambiance of traditional decor is homey
    , understated, and non-jarring.

As in formal settings, furniture in a traditional room is
    often arranged on straight axis within the room. The sofa
    will directly face or sit perpendicular to the fireplace
    and a bed will back up to the center of the longest bedroom
    wall.

Wood furniture will usually have a mix of straight and curved
    lines. There may be light carving details as well. While wood
    pieces will often be finished with darker stains, a traditional
    room might also use lighter woods as long as the lines of each
    piece are classic.

Interiors in a traditional home will often feature trim and
    molding that is painted glossy white. Crown molding is common
    and adds to the formal look. Walls might have a chair rail
    and simple molding details, with wall surfaces done in a flat
    painted finish or wallpaper. Ceilings are often white and may
    have simple beams.

The dining room in a traditional home is generally a separate
    room, often with some built-in corner cabinets for china
    storage. A large area rug sits on top of a hardwood floor. The
    table is rectangular with a set of matched chairs placed evenly
    around the perimeter. A matching sideboard, buffet, or china
    cabinet is centered on one wall.

Dressmaker details are not particularly important in a
    traditional room. Trims, tassels, and fringes are used
    sparingly if at all, in favor of a simpler, calmer look.

Window coverings in traditional rooms show classic style. Look
    for narrow shutters, traverse draperies, and under treatments
    of pinch pleated sheers. Cornices and valances may also be featured.

Accessories include pairs of lamps, urns, plants, mirrors,
    framed prints, china, *****, and collections of books.
    Pairs of objects are usually arranged in balanced symmetry.

Light fixtures exhibit classic styling. Lamps with silk shades,
    wall sconces, and floor lamps might all be used. Shades should
    be fairly plain and in ivory or white.

Traditional dining rooms can show off a variety of china, glassware,
    and silver. Plates might be a classic gold-rimmed style or a simple
    floral design. Use either beautiful tablecloths or pretty fabric
    placemats and napkins.

Basically, that was the article--I hope that helps!
    It does give you loads of options.
  • ArikaBArikaB Posts: 259 Member
    edited February 2014
    iampes23 wrote:
    I never seem to have enough money to show off more MOO. Maybe it is just me, but I could not fit a bridge on the lot either--well, not a real one.

I know what you mean! I felt the same on this build. Thanks for sharing the traditional interiors article. That was helpful. I think I'm on the right track, but I may need to change a few things to fit that theme better. Your build turned out great, btw. I love the slate tile in your master bath - very manly. :) Where did the dresser in the master bedroom come from? I love it!
    edited February 2014
    ArikaB wrote:
    iampes23 wrote:
    I never seem to have enough money to show off more MOO. Maybe it is just me, but I could not fit a bridge on the lot either--well, not a real one.

I know what you mean! I felt the same on this build. Thanks for sharing the traditional interiors article. That was helpful. I think I'm on the right track, but I may need to change a few things to fit that theme better. Your build turned out great, btw. I love the slate tile in your master bath - very manly. :) Where did the dresser in the master bedroom come from? I love it!

As always, you are very welcome!

After reading the article, I am having second thoughts about some of my items, too. I may make some changes myself and redo my media link. Or do another house...#4. The dresser is the Monarch dresser which is including in the Club Vaindenburger Study. I love that set--reminds me of an old English library with port wine and Sherlock Holmes lurking about. :D

By the way, the slate pattern is my own--so if you don't mind patterns from the exchange, you can download it here-> http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7777054
  • ArikaBArikaB Posts: 259 Member
    edited February 2014
    iampes23 wrote:

After reading the article, I am having second thoughts about some of my items, too. I may make some changes myself and redo my media link. Or do another house...#4. The dresser is the Monarch dresser which is including in the Club Vaindenburger Study. I love that set--reminds me of an old English library with port wine and Sherlock Holmes lurking about. :D

By the way, the slate pattern is my own--so if you don't mind patterns from the exchange, you can download it here-> http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7777054

I may have to go hunt down that dresser and download your pattern. It's beautiful! Thanks for the link!

ETA: DL'd and rec'd your pattern!
    edited February 2014
    Cathasaigh wrote:

There isn't a specific traditional style we have to use; it is open for interpretation. Maybe try to build your shell then get your interiors in order before finishing the outside that way you can match it to your interiors? Really as long as the architecture isn't modern or showy it probably will match your interiors and be just fine.

I think that they are okay with us doing the traditional style or just doing what it means to us. It is open to interpretation and will be fine as long as you don't add anything modern.

Here is another link with some architecture from a decent site I have the app for on my iPad! I love this place! Maybe one of these will spark an idea or give you direction!

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/14613683/list/Roots-of-Style--Do-You-Live-in-a-Minimalist-Traditional-House-
  • NvZantenNvZanten Posts: 10 New Member
    edited February 2014
    Cathasaigh wrote:

Hey Cathasaigh,
    Someone shared this link for the last challenge and I found it a very helpfull site for floorplans and ideas. It also has a traditional section. Hope that helps.

http://www.architecturaldesigns.com/traditional-house-plans.asp

edited February 2014
    iampes23 wrote:
    ArikaB wrote:
    iampes23 wrote:

It's a pretty pattern! I may have to dl it! Thanks for making and sharing it!
  • DesiiAnoworDesiiAnowor Posts: 371 Member
    edited February 2014
    I have a few questions about MOO.

I have tried to use it but I don't know if it's me or it that is having problems (likely me :P )

To use "moveObjects on" do you need to first use the "testingcheatsenabled true"?
    Once "moveObjects on" is activated - how do you get items to move where you want them, mine always snap to the grid where they normally would. I found another cheat that is "disableSnappingToSlotsOnAlt" and I tried using that with MOO, so when I press the 'alt' key some items will let me move them freely but not all (and apparently from this build - not many). However both cheats make items that would normally sit on top of another item (like a candle placed on a dresser) sit on the floor and I do not know how to get them on top of the table/counter/dresser or whatever....

edited February 2014
    I have a few questions about MOO.

I have tried to use it but I don't know if it's me or it that is having problems (likely me :P )

To use "moveObjects on" do you need to first use the "testingcheatsenabled true"?
    Once "moveObjects on" is activated - how do you get items to move where you want them, mine always snap to the grid where they normally would. I found another cheat that is "disableSnappingToSlotsOnAlt" and I tried using that with MOO, so when I press the 'alt' key some items will let me move them freely but not all (and apparently from this build - not many). However both cheats make items that would normally sit on top of another item (like a candle placed on a dresser) sit on the floor and I do not know how to get them on top of the table/counter/dresser or whatever....

Just using "MoveObjects on" is fine. And to get items move off grid hold ALT when moving. And when you hold ALT while rotating it rotates freely :)
    "disableSnappingToSlotsOnAlt" is mainly for kitchen counters and such, since they snap togehter when they get close, so if you are trying to create a kitchen-island that is a useful one. But not necessary for general MOO :)

Hope that helped.

Edit: oh and I like this video on MOO, it gives some inspiration what you could do with it :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVxgamYi9eo

• VannaRedVannaRed Posts: 167 Member
    edited February 2014
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM

David’s Chambers #236-237

NAME: VannaRed

LINK TO LOT: http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8050151

LINK TO MEDIA: http://vannaredsim.blogspot.com/

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: http://simvannared.blogspot.com/2014/02/david-chambers-b-n-s-optional-challenge.html

LEVEL: intermediate

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 30x30 lot, 60 Maywood Lane, Sunset Valley final cost was $59,872 I think I included the price of the lot.

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: 2 bedroom and one bath on second floor. Open living, kitchen, dining and study on 1st floor.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes
    CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: no cc or cap.
    edited February 2014
    ArikaB wrote:
    iampes23 wrote:

I may have to go hunt down that dresser and download your pattern. It's beautiful! Thanks for the link!

ETA: DL'd and rec'd your pattern!

Aww :oops: thanks :D
    edited February 2014
    iampes23 wrote:
    ArikaB wrote:
    iampes23 wrote:

It's a pretty pattern! I may have to dl it! Thanks for making and sharing it!

LOL I may not quit blushing for days now! I am glad y'all like the pattern. :D
  • bettylovebrewerbettylovebrewer Posts: 12
    edited February 2014
    suepea wrote:
    suepea wrote:
    Trying to join the current Build n Share but I'm confused as to which is the current and where to enter at.

The current challenge is always listed on the first page and in the subject line of the thread, so the current challenge is "David's Chambers, #236-237. It is due on 5 March. To enter, just copy and paste the entry form from the first page into a new post and include the information for your build.

You can post any questions you have about the challenge in this thread.

Thanks. I assumed that was how it was going at the moment, but the times on the posts make it a bit confusing sometimes. As well can we furnish it and just use the unfurnished price? I also don't have the Trait Disciplined or know how to go about making a "legit" hot tub. Are those our own interpretations or?

The traits are just hints for how you would decorate and furnish your house or for the Sims you create if you choose to participate in the optional challenge. The house should be decorated and furnished to suit the Sims described in the challenge. You will find hot tubs in your build items under "mIsc. plumbing." You just have to make sure that you can fit it into your budget of $60,000. The $60,000 is the furnished price of the house after you have finished your build.

Thanks = ) Super pumped about getting into this!
    edited February 2014
    Lebanna wrote:

Edit: oh and I like this video on MOO, it gives some inspiration what you could do with it :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVxgamYi9eo

Love that video--so many new ideas--and I have never been able to get the pictures to alt and move--must try it again(maybe they only alt up and down?)! Thanks loads for the link!
    edited February 2014
    iampes23 wrote:
    Lebanna wrote:

Love that video--so many new ideas--and I have never been able to get the pictures to alt and move--must try it again(maybe they only alt up and down?)! Thanks loads for the link!

oh yeah, pictures (or any wall decor) only move up and down freely on ALT. Not sideways :( I was really happy when they announced that will change in The Sims 4 )

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top