Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No children or relationships being generated

Just as the subject states, my game is lacking children and spontaneous relationships. Previously, either when I placed a family/couple in the neighborhood or kicked one of my sims out of the playable house, there would be surprises, relationships forming and children being born. Now nothing. Seems the only time kids are around town are when I create and move them in. Relations, forget it, none of my sims become spontaneously romantically involved at all. Missing the neighborhood developments. Can someone help me with this?

Comments

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,918 Member
    edited February 2014
    You'd probably benefit from NRAAS's Story Progression mod.

Also, check if you have lots of system resources. I find when I have a family with children at school and get them to talk to friends when at school it doesn't take long for the town to have lots of children. But I have 16 GB RAM. And that is with just EA's version of Story Progression. I think the game can't do it if you are low on RAM.

I recently put NRAAS's Story Progression mod into my game and the only thing I've noticed that's changed is the chefs and cash register operators in my restaurant and savvy seller shops don't turn up for work and have to be replaced. I had that happen occasionally with EA Story Progression, but it seems none of them can ever make it to their shift now. It's getting a bit annoying and I may take the mod out. I've not tried to do anything with it - I just put it into the mods folder to see what would happen.
  • StilleWaterStilleWater Posts: 1,566 Member
    edited February 2014
    I do not use story progression mod and I am having the same problem, no kids being generated, and everybody who works at the store and restaurant don't show or are being replaced. Sims go to order, nobody cooking or selling. I have a store on family lot (no cash register) zombies shop all night on full moon, they get mad at each other for being in the way, but restaurant is down town and there is never a cook. I do not think it is story progression, it started happening after an update for Island Paradise. People use to go to my hotels, now its only my playable Sims.
    7FXGVZ1.jpg?1
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,918 Member
    edited February 2014
    Do you have a lot of elder Sims in Town? If so they will be taking up the space that is needed for more children to appear.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    edited February 2014
    I had problems with my towns dying off and nobody new moving into the towns because I used to turn EA's SP off and was always afraid to move new households into town in case EA's SP messed everything up again like it always has until I got NRaas Mods and I use 45 NRaas Mod package files and my towns are able to come alive and grow though I'll have to grow the population manually and control when they start having babies,but I don't have to worry about EA's SP messing things up and ruining my game again.I can go into Sim options in Master Controller and end a pregnancy if it wasn't supposed to happen and I can get a lady pollinated with a pregnancy if I wanted her having a baby and she wasn't able to find a guy she could get married to.I send a pregnant Sim who wasn't supposed to be pregnant to the hospital for an ultrasound and end the pregnancy with MC and make it look like she got an abortion from the hospital or send a unmarried lady to the hospital for a flu shot or an allergy shot and have her pollinated into a pregnancy and make out she got pollinated at the hospital by a donor.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • atomic_roseatomic_rose Posts: 790 Member
    edited February 2014
    This is why I cannot stand EA's story progression. I had to download a third party mod because there was nobody left in my towns. Sims were having babies that didn't need to have any more kids and they were getting taken by the social worker or killed off in game. Families were being moved out of town because there was no place for them to go. I downloaded a mod and have no issues anymore. My towns came alive with breakups, makeups, and new babies!
    edited February 2014
    atomic_rose I can't stand EA's game-breaking SP either because it's a terrible glitched out bug-fest adding too many pets to my households when I try to switch around and pushing couples to have babies when I can plainly see they can't afford it.I would also have unmarried ladies getting pregnant and having babies that can't afford them and couples cheating on each other and getting divorced and other disasters.I couldn't even play with it acting like that and had two choices.I could either quit playing and accept that I'd wasted my money on this game or find a solution and I did with NRaas Mods and I can have my town come alive and see babies being born though I have to make the couples try to get pregnant and families can move into and out of town if I make it happen manually and they will adopt pets and children if I direct them into it.
  • Nerf9577Nerf9577 Posts: 65 Member
    edited February 2014
    So I'm not the only one with this issue...I also noticed it only happening recently and I did just install Island Paradise.

I'm not really too sure about the mods as I've never played with a mod before. How do I go about installing and using it? Which one do I install? Will I have to micromanage everything in my neighborhood?
  • turistas9turistas9 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited February 2014
    Nerf9577 wrote:
    So I'm not the only one with this issue...I also noticed it only happening recently and I did just install Island Paradise.

I'm not really too sure about the mods as I've never played with a mod before. How do I go about installing and using it? Which one do I install? Will I have to micromanage everything in my neighborhood?

only thing with the mod is, if you hate the pop ups you would have to go to city hall > nraas > story progression and turn stories to blood related and friends.

get the mod here; nraas.wikispaces.com/StoryProgression

and to make a mods folder: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHrbTNzoJm4
    edited February 2014
    You can find the links to get you started by clicking the text link in my signature.The links in that thread are what helped me get started and I do have to micromanage everything because I tuned story progression for it to work that way on purpose because I'd rather have it that way.That's the only way I could make my towns come alive and start growing into thriving towns with families having babies and kids growing up and moving out of their childhood homes though I have to do it manually.
  • Melbana9Melbana9 Posts: 262 Member
    edited February 2014
    i have the same problem so i uninstalled all my sims games i had all the paches, installed every stuff packs, and expansions pack in right order but i got a gliched game :cry:so i Guess i just play ordinary sims 3 Vanilla game
  • atomic_roseatomic_rose Posts: 790 Member
    edited February 2014
    TadOlson wrote:
    atomic_rose I can't stand EA's game-breaking SP either because it's a terrible glitched out bug-fest adding too many pets to my households when I try to switch around and pushing couples to have babies when I can plainly see they can't afford it.I would also have unmarried ladies getting pregnant and having babies that can't afford them and couples cheating on each other and getting divorced and other disasters.I couldn't even play with it acting like that and had two choices.I could either quit playing and accept that I'd wasted my money on this game or find a solution and I did with NRaas Mods and I can have my town come alive and see babies being born though I have to make the couples try to get pregnant and families can move into and out of town if I make it happen manually and they will adopt pets and children if I direct them into it.

I understand exactly. All of the pets that were spawning in game and in households around town were causing major issues with lag and crashing for me. When I installed MC, SP, OW, ET, and Reg, my game stopped crashing. There are no more strays causing lag and routing issues. Households can't adopt a ton of pets. Children weren't being born to homes that couldn't fit them. And families remained in the towns and their kids stopped getting taken or killed off. It made a world of difference for me.
  • jermanijermani Posts: 187 Member
    edited February 2014
    I also had to get sp to help with my game,but when it ask if i want to delete homeless sims I choose no because those are the npc and then it replaces them with sims living in the town,and alot of time they do not show up.Nraas Register mod is also helpful in generating sims to work the cash register.
  • bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    edited February 2014
    turistas9 wrote:
    Nerf9577 wrote:

only thing with the mod is, if you hate the pop ups you would have to go to city hall > nraas > story progression and turn stories to blood related and friends.

My sims have too many friends. :) When I play sims that are born in-game it's not unusual for me to get the Celebrity, Personable and Super Friendly Charisma skill challenges done by the time they hit Young Adult. I have to keep it set to Blood and Romantic to keep the story spam down.
  • VendulaVendula Posts: 1 New Member
    I have similar problem. My Sims generate relationships but no children! What should I do without mod?
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited December 2018
    There is nothing that can be done when EA's built-in story progression continues to do totally random, senseless things or when it breaks down and stops working altogether, short of moving your active household to a new world and starting over. It comes with an on/off switch on the Game Options, but that is all. And that is why the two popular modded versions exist, namely NRaas StoryProgression and AwesomeMod's StoryMode.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2018
    Another option is NRaas Mastercontroller, where you simply click on a sim and tell the game by what other sim in the world you want this sim to become pregnant. It's not spontaneous, but it is sufficient where it comes to expanding the world population.

As for 'without mod', alas, they seem to have patched this out of the game at one point (my bet is 2011 because that was the last time it happened in my modless game) to happen spontaneous.
    5JZ57S6.png
    Oh yes, of course on the MC solution. But what I meant was there is no way to fix EA's story progression in an ongoing automated way once it breaks down so that future generations of the world being played continue to propagate without the need for player involvement.

I don't believe it was really something that was patched out on purpose. Actually, EA's version of story progression on TS3 is pretty cool (for a first attempt at it) once one gets used to how it functions and how it insists that all of the inactive households exist strictly for the convenience and amusement for the actively being played one. And its tendency to rotate inactives out of the world and rotate fresh sims in was not a truly horrible idea, if it actually worked as it should. Unfortunately it just doesn't work as intended for most players, there will always be some exceptions, beyond a few generations and then Ghost Town Syndrome begins to set in, no kids are around to go to school with your active ones, there's no one around for them to date or mate with as they become of age, etc. from there.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2018
    No, maybe it wasn't on purpose but a lot of people complained about the clone babies and not everyone was a fan of freshly created sims put into the game turning up pregnant the next day. Lol, that happened to me too. A girl I had created for my heir, to meet, fall in love with and marry. Next thing I know she shows up with a belly and the accompanying ugly maternity clothes and not only that, the father turned out to be my sim's very old uncle, a bachelor :D So I don't know, maybe they tried to tone that down which resulted in it completely disappearing. I liked the surprise myself to be honest. Not a fan of the clone babies though.

I remember by the way that even when it still worked, towns would die out as well. How do you manage to keep your world populated, since you have played the same save for years? Or do you have aging disabled? Or is the mod good enough to keep the community alive?
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    How do you manage to keep your world populated, since you have played the same save for years? Or do you have aging disabled? Or is the mod good enough to keep the community alive?
    NRaas SP works too well, or rather I do have to keep a constant eye on the baby-making and immigration rates relative to the amount of suitable and available housing in each world. I've got sims coming out of the rafters in two of my connected worlds and keep having to replace them elsewhere or begin fostering emigration, which is not all that easy to do within the mod.

Wasn't always that way. Started out with EA's story progression and quickly saw my first world suffer from rapid population decreases after one complete generation. AwesomeMod didn't help very much, it slowly moved in two or three new households where I was hoping to see at least a couple of dozen. There certainly wasn't much overcrowding at the school entrance when there were only five kids/teens attending and three of them were mine. :/

Am sure I was doing something wrong back then or hadn't satisfied some condition or other of Awesome's StoryMode, so I inserted a bunch of households of my own making at the time just to make things feel more realistic and still had to travel my older teen/younger YAs to other worlds to find dating material. But once getting NRaas SP in play and getting through learning how it all worked, that kind of thing was definitely history. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    I've been playing with both the NRaas Mod collection and awesomemod installed for disabling the autmaoted school assignments for about three years now and my towns are at least starting to grow and thrive with increasing populations and the sims will begin having babies whenever they're ready to start and new families move into the towns on occasions whenever I go into edit town to move them in.The only issue is that I have to do story progression in manual mode with rotational play like Sims 2 only with the TS3's open world to make any real story progression happen in my games.It's kept my saves stable in a very unstable game engine for years.
  • MightyPantsMightyPants Posts: 2 New Member
    Ok I have an opposite problem. I have a married couple who I've made immortal and I never want them to have kids. I like them being the permanently handy townies. I can't figure out how to make them and only them not have kids.
    @MightyPants - This thread is from almost 7 years ago and will likely get locked up by a forum moderator for necroposting so we can't really have a discussion here. If your question is about TS3, which is what was being discussed, this thread is set up specifically for those with New Member status to post onto until you become a full Member and can start your own.

If you are playing TS4, the answer will be completely different and should probably be sought on the TS4 section of the forum. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • EA_JozEA_Joz Posts: 3,164 EA Staff (retired)
    Hello everyone, please remember that necroposting is against the rules. I've gone ahead and closed the thread.

Please review our Posting Rules & Guidelines here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/forum-rules

~EA_Joz
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top