The latest update addressed the crashing issue that some of you have been experiencing, Click here to found out more!
November 20 - Everyone ready for the Friday Highlight? It's ready for you here.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #231 **Fall Designer Showdown** **Due 31st October, 2020**

Comments

  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 657 Member
    edited February 2014
    Sims3whoo wrote:
    It says that we have to have three bedroom. Does the butler's suite count?

    Since the butler's suite was added later, I am assuming the 3 bedrooms are in addition to it. A judge will make the final decision on this asap, I am sure. :D
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 657 Member
    edited February 2014
    Lebanna wrote:
    Wow! And here I thought the budget was so generous!
    No, it is generous. Don't get me wrong. It's just so easy to go over the top with Victorian homes. I think most of the unfurnished cost on my lot is landscaping, which can pretty easily be culled off if it's gone too far over the top at the end anyway but stuff like extra walls, lighting up all those tiny dark corners, paneling, wood flooring and marble tiles, all those game priced little extravagances make for an expensive build. And it's a bit difficult to change it if you've already CAS'd the rooms.
    It does sound generous until you do the three+ levels that Victorians usually were.
    I've only got 2 on mine unless you count foundation (or rather, beneath it,) and the faux mansard. (Which I suppose are basically just extra costs that go to the overall look of the exterior.) I usually build 2 and a half levels with Victorians I guess? I tend to make the towery bits stick out above the rest of the house. For this one I'm going off a sketch and I've been anguishing over their height and width. :P

    Hmm..apparently the website had problems when I posted my comment about the 3+ levels. lol I have to restart anyway, so I am going to try to follow an actual floorplan from way back when--might be a bit Gothic Victorian, though I love the Queen Anne ones. I have not actually picked a floor plan yet, but the one I was trying to make was getting a bit pricey, too(came down an awful lot when I switched vehicles rofl).
  • CathasaighCathasaigh Posts: 26
    edited February 2014
    NvZanten wrote:
    Cathasaigh wrote:
    So... I made another house for Nature's Child. My official entry is already in but we had a snow day today and I got inspired. I mean, what else is there to do on a snow day, right?? This is build is waaaayyyy over budget but I like how it turned out, particularly the landscaping.


    Here's a link to the media if anyone is interested. I haven't uploaded it because there is a massive amount of custom content.

    http://s170.photobucket.com/user/Cathasaigh/library/BuildnShare/Natures Child 2



    Hope you enjoy!

    I know I'm a bit late. Stupid exams getting in the way :? , but I like your build. Question though, how did you manage to get a railing over your spiral staircase?


    It's a custom content item I downloaded from TSR.
  • saint_gambisaint_gambi Posts: 286 Member
    edited February 2014
    iampes23 wrote:
    Lebanna wrote:
    Wow! And here I thought the budget was so generous!
    No, it is generous. Don't get me wrong. It's just so easy to go over the top with Victorian homes. I think most of the unfurnished cost on my lot is landscaping, which can pretty easily be culled off if it's gone too far over the top at the end anyway but stuff like extra walls, lighting up all those tiny dark corners, paneling, wood flooring and marble tiles, all those game priced little extravagances make for an expensive build. And it's a bit difficult to change it if you've already CAS'd the rooms.
    It does sound generous until you do the three+ levels that Victorians usually were.
    I've only got 2 on mine unless you count foundation (or rather, beneath it,) and the faux mansard. (Which I suppose are basically just extra costs that go to the overall look of the exterior.) I usually build 2 and a half levels with Victorians I guess? I tend to make the towery bits stick out above the rest of the house. For this one I'm going off a sketch and I've been anguishing over their height and width. :P

    Hmm..apparently the website had problems when I posted my comment about the 3+ levels. lol I have to restart anyway, so I am going to try to follow an actual floorplan from way back when--might be a bit Gothic Victorian, though I love the Queen Anne ones. I have not actually picked a floor plan yet, but the one I was trying to make was getting a bit pricey, too(came down an awful lot when I switched vehicles rofl).
    Wow this is weird. Your post just reminded me that the test sim I used to build with/upgrade things had one of those really expensive Sylvan cars in her inventory, so I check the furnished price - 240K, the depreciated value on the car was at 47K, down from the new price - 79K(ish?). So then I delete it, right? BAM - $95K. What the heck? Easy enough to fix but seriously, how does deleting an item from one's inventory RAISE the price by 50K? Maybe I set it down by accident? But there aren't any parking spots on the lot. And this was before turning any cheats on...Anywhen, it's all academic now as I simply exited without saving. :P

    Both those styles are adorable. I always feel a tad guilty about doing gothic myself. Not entirely sure why. :lol:
    iampes23 wrote:
    Sims3whoo wrote:
    It says that we have to have three bedroom. Does the butler's suite count?

    Since the butler's suite was added later, I am assuming the 3 bedrooms are in addition to it. A judge will make the final decision on this asap, I am sure. :D
    I would say that it's 3 bedrooms plus the butler's suite too, because they did make a point of listing these as separate items in the notes on the brief. Besides that, unless they specify otherwise, you're generally allowed to add extra rooms, so 4 when you only need 3 shouldn't be an issue.
    Sims3whoo wrote:
    Which is a better color for a living room plum purple or white(or any colors you think are good)
    I think white may be a bit too modern/minimalist for Victorians. I do like the sound of plum though. It's something I would have not thought of, though I really love that colour. What about something like this for a pallet?
    https://kuler.adobe.com/Plum-Tree-color-theme-195248/
  • Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,880 Member
    edited February 2014
    Sims3whoo wrote:
    It says that we have to have three bedroom. Does the butler's suite count?
    Hey there Sims3whoo, the butlers suite is in addition to the 3 bedrooms ;)
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
  • Simming_SpoonieSimming_Spoonie Posts: 1,880 Member
    edited February 2014
    ATTENTION 231-232 NATURES CHILD ADVANCED ENTRANTS

    Your results have been posted here.
    Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instgram
  • LebannaLebanna Posts: 1,156 Member
    edited February 2014
    Congrats ArikaB, ISHTARJMD and Frederico! :)


    On a side note, for everyone who hasn't seen the Sims news ;)
    Don't forget to claim the Town life stuff pack if you have your sims 3 game registered on origin ;)

    http://www.thesims.com/en-us/anniversary

    It's not working right now for me, but with a little patience I'm sure it will in a while ;)
    Writer for Platinum Simmers

    Gallery ID: Annabelli_22
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 657 Member
    edited February 2014
    Lebanna wrote:
    Congrats ArikaB, ISHTARJMD and Frederico! :)


    On a side note, for everyone who hasn't seen the Sims news ;)
    Don't forget to claim the Town life stuff pack if you have your sims 3 game registered on origin ;)

    http://www.thesims.com/en-us/anniversary

    It's not working right now for me, but with a little patience I'm sure it will in a while ;)

    Congrats to the winners!!! And thanks for ;letting us know about the free stuff pack--unfortunately, I already have it. Hopefully some of us will be able to take advantage of this great freebie!
  • ArikaBArikaB Posts: 259 Member
    edited February 2014
    Thank you! And congrats to ISHTARJMD and Frederico on your wins! After the awful morning I've had (two sick cats making messes all over my house, power outage while doing laundry, and trying to house-train a puppy- UGH!), it was really, REALLY nice to see this.

    Lebanna, thanks for the link. Any clue why it isn't working? I logged into Origin, but it's saying that I haven't registered my game, even though I have my base game and all EPs and SPs registered on My Page. Weird. Is that what it's doing to you?

    Saint_gambi, I get what you're saying about it being so easy to go overboard on budget with Victorians. I'm on my 5th build and finally happy with the layout, but man, you have to be REALLY careful in your build/buy choices! At this point I'm not even sure I'll be able to afford to put in the pool I had planned. :?
  • MrzNSmithMrzNSmith Posts: 370 Member
    edited February 2014
    Ok I did a search for traditional victorian house colors and I would swear a 3yr old painted some of them. I know they can have unique color schemes but I never expected this which are not good examples to help break away from ones usual suspect list of colors.

    Victorian-house-after-porch.jpg050_2-WEB.jpg
    uUABhnHoaTurWewmdJRta_qF465L722rPmUNhKdVW0sgPo8a7IgCcxjtLwn3ciTK5-BkKA2DvUBi-AIhSd4B_GluqPcTdlHINfwlmSYES694rTL5oq9FCoZroHGr2f_hL51c2Q8_cihF8Z_U8YtGDxL2tbuIq5m4Q8wNX_w_a2ZkLO0x2TYyC8hancoqF1_9PoBkCiyZgO2g6qx-HtyGGyAfGyMC_9GgxMiDCFlqoXeTu3xbYgm1X3RTSHfhsf65WPrvdA08k__3kueIYg1TCC644ylX3sz2_JNEKA-szzuyGGdAdKpyMTM1bW1FPGqUhf0WGhi4gPdZLA5DeeUDRL-zrOSp9IAcRbjV14DA2QiQxzIxXlqdoFNPA-wXxhXnDlYbiHuPgqvCW8NHtHbfAIm7zfYYWJRX04fRKmCNR4D_wCTAoMfvQ7YZLw3Np8XfIBVBWS_GqnUH47wh5vxqHFpoN3AN3HQJzPUNJIhL3obfcNmDelllZWb3kNJSeQW24qIsbLV4bZL7bIBi0jd8KJwMtPPym06mLyzzAatg4yEWN89btgE_hNcOKVkoq4LuCWlF=w462-h214-no
  • MrzNSmithMrzNSmith Posts: 370 Member
    edited February 2014
    Congrats to the Advance Winners.

    @ArikaB its not working for me either and all my games are registered through Origin. I think you are getting that message because you registered the games on The Sims site.
    uUABhnHoaTurWewmdJRta_qF465L722rPmUNhKdVW0sgPo8a7IgCcxjtLwn3ciTK5-BkKA2DvUBi-AIhSd4B_GluqPcTdlHINfwlmSYES694rTL5oq9FCoZroHGr2f_hL51c2Q8_cihF8Z_U8YtGDxL2tbuIq5m4Q8wNX_w_a2ZkLO0x2TYyC8hancoqF1_9PoBkCiyZgO2g6qx-HtyGGyAfGyMC_9GgxMiDCFlqoXeTu3xbYgm1X3RTSHfhsf65WPrvdA08k__3kueIYg1TCC644ylX3sz2_JNEKA-szzuyGGdAdKpyMTM1bW1FPGqUhf0WGhi4gPdZLA5DeeUDRL-zrOSp9IAcRbjV14DA2QiQxzIxXlqdoFNPA-wXxhXnDlYbiHuPgqvCW8NHtHbfAIm7zfYYWJRX04fRKmCNR4D_wCTAoMfvQ7YZLw3Np8XfIBVBWS_GqnUH47wh5vxqHFpoN3AN3HQJzPUNJIhL3obfcNmDelllZWb3kNJSeQW24qIsbLV4bZL7bIBi0jd8KJwMtPPym06mLyzzAatg4yEWN89btgE_hNcOKVkoq4LuCWlF=w462-h214-no
  • ArikaBArikaB Posts: 259 Member
    edited February 2014
    MrzNSmith wrote:
    Congrats to the Advance Winners.

    @ArikaB its not working for me either and all my games are registered through Origin. I think you are getting that message because you registered the games on The Sims site.

    That's certainly possible, although the error message includes a link to the Sims 3 game registry page and is telling me to go register my games with EA and then come back to Origin. I'm trying to find a Contact Us link so I can shoot them an email, but they don't make that easy either. :/
  • ArikaBArikaB Posts: 259 Member
    edited February 2014
    Okay, so I just live-chatted with EA support about the Town Life freebie. They are aware of the problem - lots of people are unable to download apparently - and are working to fix it. They said it should show up in everyone's Origin account (as long as your game is registered) within 72 hours - just keep checking periodically.
  • LORILYELORILYE Posts: 48 New Member
    edited February 2014
    ArikaB wrote:
    MrzNSmith wrote:
    Congrats to the Advance Winners.

    @ArikaB its not working for me either and all my games are registered through Origin. I think you are getting that message because you registered the games on The Sims site.

    That's certainly possible, although the error message includes a link to the Sims 3 game registry page and is telling me to go register my games with EA and then come back to Origin. I'm trying to find a Contact Us link so I can shoot them an email, but they don't make that easy either. :/

    I am having a problem for only one of my Origins EP's. For some reason World Adventures will not register. All of the others registered themselves after I bought them without me having to do anything.

    Congratulations advanced winners!

    I am creating my Venus characters as next door neighbors as teens in other houses while they grow up and am moving them into the house, that I built for them after they grow up and get married. That way I can play them a while without taking away any value to the lot.
  • saint_gambisaint_gambi Posts: 286 Member
    edited February 2014
    MrzNSmith wrote:
    Ok I did a search for traditional victorian house colors and I would swear a 3yr old painted some of them. I know they can have unique color schemes but I never expected this which are not good examples to help break away from ones usual suspect list of colors.

    Victorian-house-after-porch.jpg050_2-WEB.jpg
    Those actually look like gingerbread houses. It's a variation of the Victorian gothic style (and they're adorable!) They mostly look like life size doll houses. I'm building one in another game based on this one:
    gingerbread_houses1.jpg
    I think you may find searching Queen Anne style or Gothic Revival will yield some less technicolor results. :lol:

    Also congrats to the advanced winners, ArikaB, ISHTARJMD and Frederico! Spectacular builds, guise!
  • TanyaElisabethTanyaElisabeth Posts: 13 New Member
    edited February 2014
    Finished my house but now it won't upload to the exchange! I have tried re-sharing it through the game multiple times, but when I go to upload it will upload all the way then show the error red circle with the line through it. Really frustrating, anyone else have this problem before and know how to fix it? Please help!
  • PallystylePallystyle Posts: 2,415 Member
    edited February 2014
    Congrats to the advanced winners. :)

    And thanks for the feedback. :)
    My Sims 4 Creations= Click Here ;) Find me on origin at Pallystyle
    My Murkland Challenge Adventures: Click Here

  • NvZantenNvZanten Posts: 10 New Member
    edited February 2014
    Cathasaigh wrote:
    It's a custom content item I downloaded from TSR.

    Thanks for the link. I had a lot of fun looking around the site.
  • LebannaLebanna Posts: 1,156 Member
    edited February 2014
    Finished my house but now it won't upload to the exchange! I have tried re-sharing it through the game multiple times, but when I go to upload it will upload all the way then show the error red circle with the line through it. Really frustrating, anyone else have this problem before and know how to fix it? Please help!

    If you hoover over that red circle, what does it tell you? Maybe that gives you a clue why it won't upload.

    Other than that, have you used any custom content? If so, the site blocks that ;)
    You can either upload it to another site, like mediafire (I have never used that, so I don't know) or take out any CC and re-upload it (under a different name)

    If neither helps, than I don't know either :(
    Writer for Platinum Simmers

    Gallery ID: Annabelli_22
  • LebannaLebanna Posts: 1,156 Member
    edited February 2014
    MrzNSmith wrote:
    Ok I did a search for traditional victorian house colors and I would swear a 3yr old painted some of them. I know they can have unique color schemes but I never expected this which are not good examples to help break away from ones usual suspect list of colors.

    Victorian-house-after-porch.jpg050_2-WEB.jpg
    Those actually look like gingerbread houses. It's a variation of the Victorian gothic style (and they're adorable!) They mostly look like life size doll houses. I'm building one in another game based on this one:
    gingerbread_houses1.jpg
    I think you may find searching Queen Anne style or Gothic Revival will yield some less technicolor results. :lol:

    Also congrats to the advanced winners, ArikaB, ISHTARJMD and Frederico! Spectacular builds, guise!

    Haha I actually like these cotton candy versions of victorian ;)
    Writer for Platinum Simmers

    Gallery ID: Annabelli_22
  • VannaRedVannaRed Posts: 161 Member
    edited February 2014
    Finished my house but now it won't upload to the exchange! I have tried re-sharing it through the game multiple times, but when I go to upload it will upload all the way then show the error red circle with the line through it. Really frustrating, anyone else have this problem before and know how to fix it? Please help!

    Usually when that happens to me it's already been uploaded and I tried again while it was busy. Did you check your studio?
  • saint_gambisaint_gambi Posts: 286 Member
    edited February 2014
    Lebanna wrote:
    Haha I actually like these cotton candy versions of victorian ;)
    Me too because how often do you see a barbie's country cottage dream house in real life? :lol:
  • saint_gambisaint_gambi Posts: 286 Member
    edited February 2014
    Lebanna wrote:
    Finished my house but now it won't upload to the exchange! I have tried re-sharing it through the game multiple times, but when I go to upload it will upload all the way then show the error red circle with the line through it. Really frustrating, anyone else have this problem before and know how to fix it? Please help!

    If you hoover over that red circle, what does it tell you? Maybe that gives you a clue why it won't upload.

    Other than that, have you used any custom content? If so, the site blocks that ;)
    You can either upload it to another site, like mediafire (I have never used that, so I don't know) or take out any CC and re-upload it (under a different name)

    If neither helps, than I don't know either :(
    It's usually because of CC. Try Custard. Otherwise, I've heard the exchange has been a bit fickle lately. Maybe try again in a day or so?
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 657 Member
    edited February 2014
    Lebanna wrote:
    Finished my house but now it won't upload to the exchange! I have tried re-sharing it through the game multiple times, but when I go to upload it will upload all the way then show the error red circle with the line through it. Really frustrating, anyone else have this problem before and know how to fix it? Please help!

    If you hoover over that red circle, what does it tell you? Maybe that gives you a clue why it won't upload.

    Other than that, have you used any custom content? If so, the site blocks that ;)
    You can either upload it to another site, like mediafire (I have never used that, so I don't know) or take out any CC and re-upload it (under a different name)

    If neither helps, than I don't know either :(
    It's usually because of CC. Try Custard. Otherwise, I've heard the exchange has been a bit fickle lately. Maybe try again in a day or so?

    Literally the only time I can upload a house to the exchange is the day I make it(with no time breaks), so I frequently have the same problem. Sometimes reloading it under a different name works, but most of the time mine never load either. :( Luckily it does not have to load for the challenge, since they judge by your media pictures link. :D
  • EleneKEleneK Posts: 136 Member
    edited February 2014
    iampes23 wrote:
    Hmm..apparently the website had problems when I posted my comment about the 3+ levels. lol I have to restart anyway, so I am going to try to follow an actual floorplan from way back when--might be a bit Gothic Victorian, though I love the Queen Anne ones. I have not actually picked a floor plan yet, but the one I was trying to make was getting a bit pricey, too(came down an awful lot when I switched vehicles rofl).

    I've been hoarding a San Francisco Victorian floor plan for a while now. I'm using that one. It's long and narrow. This 50X50 lot requirement is killing me. It's such a waste of space.
    Sims3whoo wrote:
    Which is a better color for a living room plum purple or white(or any colors you think are good)
    I think white may be a bit too modern/minimalist for Victorians. I do like the sound of plum though. It's something I would have not thought of, though I really love that colour. What about something like this for a pallet?
    https://kuler.adobe.com/Plum-Tree-color-theme-195248/

    There were pure white Victorians. Part of the fun though is the painted ladies. During that time Paint was expensive, colored paint even more so. You showed off your wealth by painting your house in multiple colors.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top