Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• ISHTARJMDISHTARJMD Posts: 260 Member
    edited February 2014
    Because we're not allowed open plan living, can archways still be used to separate rooms? like, the kitchen and dining room?

You are allowed to use archways instead of doorways.
  • TanyaElisabethTanyaElisabeth Posts: 13 New Member
    edited February 2014
    Finished my house and its over 300,000. Guess I should have paid more attention to that.. Lol guess im starting over.
  • saint_gambisaint_gambi Posts: 286 Member
    edited February 2014
    ISHTARJMD wrote:
    Jounin138 wrote:
    :( I'm starting to worry. I just built the shell of my Victorian house and I'm already at 45,000 and I haven't added windows,doors/arches yet or decor. I think we need a bigger budget. :lol:

The budget is over 200,000! How big is your house??? :)
    I think that's what mine cost without lighting or any interior stuff. It's currently 136K+ unfurnished, 220K+ furnished, and I think I ended up spending something like 10K on just the master bed, so I fully expect I'll have to go over everything once it's finished and get rid of excessive decorative and/or landscaping items. :P
  • LebannaLebanna Posts: 1,157 Member
    edited February 2014
    Wow! And here I thought the budget was so generous!
    Writer for Platinum Simmers

Gallery ID: Annabelli_22
  • PhoenixRyderPhoenixRyder Posts: 138
    edited February 2014
    I built a wonderful shell that actually looked victorian, as I based it on a blueprint but then I did silly things like make rooms bigger when the furnishings didn't fit into the existing space, and now it looks like a bulging mess. Oh well, I guess I'll start over. I've also had a problem of my foundation not getting bigger than a platform. Has this been happening to anyone else?
  • iampes23iampes23 Posts: 704 Member
    edited February 2014
    suepea wrote:
    MrzNSmith wrote:
    suepea wrote:

I have used those and then some, was up till 2:30 this morning fiddling with my house before I made myself goto bed

Sounds like fun to me :-) I'd be Simming right now but my pesky family wants dinner. Darn them! Do they have to eat EVERY day?

:roll:
    ROFL!!!!
    edited February 2014
    I built a wonderful shell that actually looked victorian, as I based it on a blueprint but then I did silly things like make rooms bigger when the furnishings didn't fit into the existing space, and now it looks like a bulging mess. Oh well, I guess I'll start over. I've also had a problem of my foundation not getting bigger than a platform. Has this been happening to anyone else?

Maybe not quite the same problem--I was trying to do a walk-out basement, and it worked fine. Then when I tried to do rooms in it, it would not let me. So I am starting over from scratch again. :(

By the way--do you mean the height is not bigger than the platform height?
    edited February 2014
    Lebanna wrote:

It does sound generous until you do the three+ levels that Victorians usually were. And all the rooms means a lot of walls, which adds to the cost. But then, cost is always an issue with me since I never pay attention to that when playing on my own(Motherlode is a "God" word lol).
  • Jounin138Jounin138 Posts: 28 Member
    edited February 2014
    ISHTARJMD wrote:
    Jounin138 wrote:
    :( I'm starting to worry. I just built the shell of my Victorian house and I'm already at 45,000 and I haven't added windows,doors/arches yet or decor. I think we need a bigger budget. :lol:

The budget is over 200,000! How big is your house??? :)

Big. :lol: I'm really worried about the decoration. Victorian decor "was an era of ornate and excessive decoration"
  • LebannaLebanna Posts: 1,157 Member
    edited February 2014

hmm. I haven't encountered this. All I know is that you can LOWER the foundation height to stage height with holding ALT. But you seem to have it the other way around.. So maybe holding ALT would help? No clue, just a suggestion
    Writer for Platinum Simmers

Gallery ID: Annabelli_22
  • SimminGirlSimminGirl Posts: 47
    edited February 2014
    I finished my house, and it's great - but I'm having a hard time uploading it! Is there something wrong with the site? It won't seem to add to my Studio at all. In my launcher the status is 'uploaded' :(

I don't know what I'm doing wrong!

In game - Saved to library, then shared.
    In Launcher - Logged in, clicked The Blue Vicky to upload
    Status indicates uploaded.

Did I miss something?
    edited February 2014
    I hope you like it!! I had fun making it <3 Though - I'm not a very good landscaper :D

OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM for Venus 233-235

NAME: SimminGirl

LINK TO LOT: *** http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7999592 ***

LINK TO MEDIA: http://mysimhouses.blogspot.com/2014/02/blue-vicky.html

LEVEL: Not positive, I guess Intermediate

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: Size, 50 x 50 -- Address, can go anywhere -- Final cost, §173,898 Furnished. §115,733 Unfurnished.

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: Victorian Style home with detached three car garage. Good sized swimming pool, seating and grilling area perfect for parties! Large full Garden. Butler quarters located in the basement. Full Kitchen, dining room, living room and foyer and a half bath. Three bedrooms upstairs, two full baths and a Den. Small attic above the master suite.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes

There IS some CC in there, and I thank each and every creator - I have a list of the items, but at this time not creator names. Working on looking those up xD! I'm horrible at keeping records.

The following is a list of the CC included in this house: *(Note: These items will not be in the downloadable version)*

Sectional Cement Fence
    Degras Pool Stuffs ring float
    Degras Pool Stuffs Skimmer
    Round Stairs
    Morris Curtain
    Unmaintained Cobblestone
    1950s Kitchen Window Closed
    1950s Kitchen Window Open
    Outdoor Seating Tree
    Outdoor Seating Rock
    The Big Cheese Coat Rack
    Orchid Living Plant
    Clever Curtain
    Treasure Box
    Easter Flowers
    Pinecat Etched Crystal
    Pinecat Kitchen Timer
    Pinecat Potholders
    Rustic Loaf Box
    DOT Soop Dish
    DOT Soap Box
    DOT Toilet Paper Stack 2

Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited February 2014
    SimminGirl wrote:
    I finished my house, and it's great - but I'm having a hard time uploading it! Is there something wrong with the site? It won't seem to add to my Studio at all. In my launcher the status is 'uploaded' :(

Did I miss something?

Is it because I have some CC in there?
    edited February 2014
    SimminGirl wrote:
    SimminGirl wrote:

Did I miss something?

If you have CC it wont allow it to upload to the sims site. I recommend getting a file share account like with media fire.
    edited February 2014
    ATTENTION NEW BNS PARTICIPANTS:

First: Welcome. This is a great community that is very happy to help you out if you need it and to share our builds in. We hope you'll be happy here.

Second: When you're doing the media for your site, please use an outside picture source, like photobucket or flickr or a blog, instead of the Sims site. We judge your build based on your pictures and the Sims3 website only allows a few pictures. A good rule of thumb is 3-5 sim level pictures of each room, the landscaping, and an overhead shot of each level that shows the layout. There are tips on how to get effective shots on the first page of this forum.

Artgirl220, Vampireninjabunny, You only have a few pictures each. If you would like me to hold off on judging your builds until you add some more pictures, please let me know. I will hold off on judging till Wednsday evening. Otherwise I fear I wont be able to truly and properly judge your build.

Dducknbelle, please adjust your media link to the pictures of the lot, not your studio.

Kitoraem, your media link goes to an error message. Can you please check your link for me?

8jt7, google is demanding a log in to view your media. Can you check to make sure its visible publicly?

edited February 2014
    ISHTARJMD wrote:
    SimminGirl wrote:
    SimminGirl wrote:

Did I miss something?

If you have CC it wont allow it to upload to the sims site. I recommend getting a file share account like with media fire.

Thank you! Actually - since there isn't much, I'll just go in and replace those things with Sims3 Game items.
    I figured that's what it was after I thought about it for a bit.

Thanks again <3
  • saint_gambisaint_gambi Posts: 286 Member
    edited February 2014
    Lebanna wrote:
    No, it is generous. Don't get me wrong. It's just so easy to go over the top with Victorian homes. I think most of the unfurnished cost on my lot is landscaping, which can pretty easily be culled off if it's gone too far over the top at the end anyway but stuff like extra walls, lighting up all those tiny dark corners, paneling, wood flooring and marble tiles, all those game priced little extravagances make for an expensive build. And it's a bit difficult to change it if you've already CAS'd the rooms.
    It does sound generous until you do the three+ levels that Victorians usually were.
    I've only got 2 on mine unless you count foundation (or rather, beneath it,) and the faux mansard. (Which I suppose are basically just extra costs that go to the overall look of the exterior.) I usually build 2 and a half levels with Victorians I guess? I tend to make the towery bits stick out above the rest of the house. For this one I'm going off a sketch and I've been anguishing over their height and width. :P
  • NvZantenNvZanten Posts: 10 New Member
    edited February 2014
    Cathasaigh wrote:
    So... I made another house for Nature's Child. My official entry is already in but we had a snow day today and I got inspired. I mean, what else is there to do on a snow day, right?? This is build is waaaayyyy over budget but I like how it turned out, particularly the landscaping.

Here's a link to the media if anyone is interested. I haven't uploaded it because there is a massive amount of custom content.

http://s170.photobucket.com/user/Cathasaigh/library/BuildnShare/Natures Child 2

Hope you enjoy!

I know I'm a bit late. Stupid exams getting in the way :? , but I like your build. Question though, how did you manage to get a railing over your spiral staircase?
  • Sims3whooSims3whoo Posts: 16
    edited February 2014
    It says that we have to have three bedroom. Does the butler's suite count?
  • DesiiAnoworDesiiAnowor Posts: 371 Member
    edited February 2014
    I think I finally have the 'shell' of my Victorian done. These are difficult (but fun to build!!)...

I was trying to go in and delete the foundation that is not supporting a wall, outside, etc (to save on cost from the tips); however, when I deleted the foundation pieces the house price actually went up instead of going down. Anyone else experienced this and can tell me why it's doing that? Normally the cost goes down - but not with this build for some reason.
  • Sims3whooSims3whoo Posts: 16
    edited February 2014
    Which is a better color for a living room plum purple or white(or any colors you think are good)
  • EleneKEleneK Posts: 142 Member
    edited February 2014
    ISHTARJMD wrote:
    EleneK wrote:
    Awwww. A Historic House challenge. Throw me a bone why don't you.

?? You dont like Historic houses?

I was being sarcastic. I specialize in recreating historic houses. Louisiana and East Texas vernacular mostly. These places matter. They hold our history. I love them. I think they are the most wonderful places in the world.

BelleGrovePlantation-Front.png[img][/img]
    McFaddin-Ward_zps483ddf80.jpg
  • BritishwannabeBritishwannabe Posts: 2
    edited February 2014

NAME:britishwannabe

LINK TO LOT:http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7996424

LINK TO MEDIA:http://s34.photobucket.com/user/Click_Snap_post_repeat/library/?view=recent&page=1

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE:http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7996424

LEVEL:beginner

LOT SIZE:50x50

ADDRESS:I didn't have a 50x50 available lot on my map so I had to place one and it won't give an address but I made one up and if it wasn't a made up lot then it would be 15 summer hill court

FINAL COST: 110,572

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: I made this house off of what I could pull from Google, and other websites, this isn't one of my best houses and I guess it might be because I'm just getting into the whole Sims building thing!
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes ma'am

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED:I only used custom content on my sims and the links to those that I used I couldn't find (Told you so noob :P). :D:D:D
    edited February 2014

NAME:britishwannabe

LINK TO LOT:http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7996424

LINK TO MEDIA:http://s34.photobucket.com/user/Click_Snap_post_repeat/library/?view=recent&page=1

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE:http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7996424

LEVEL:beginner

LOT SIZE:50x50

ADDRESS:I didn't have a 50x50 available lot on my map so I had to place one and it won't give an address but I made one up and if it wasn't a made up lot then it would be 15 summer hill court

FINAL COST: 110,572

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: I made this house off of what I could pull from Google, and other websites, this isn't one of my best houses and I guess it might be because I'm just getting into the whole Sims building thing!
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes ma'am

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED:I only used custom content on my sims and the links to those that I used I couldn't find (Told you so noob :P). :D:D:D

Welcome to Build and Share!
    To be helpful, the link to your lot is great! However, the link to the optional challenge is the same link to the lot. Also, You might want to include more pictures of the house, such as views of the floor plans from above for each level of the house. You have plenty money left over to include more things in the house or landscaping. :D And let the judges know that the optional challenge is included with the house pics, if that is what you meant to do. You still have until 2/19 if you do want to make any changes--it is your house, so these are all just suggestions. I also love the wedding! Haha to Venus old family for not wanting these two love-birds to wed! :D
    edited February 2014
    EleneK wrote:
    ISHTARJMD wrote:
    EleneK wrote:
    Awwww. A Historic House challenge. Throw me a bone why don't you.

?? You dont like Historic houses?

I was being sarcastic. I specialize in recreating historic houses. Louisiana and East Texas vernacular mostly. These places matter. They hold our history. I love them. I think they are the most wonderful places in the world.

BelleGrovePlantation-Front.png[img][/img]
    McFaddin-Ward_zps483ddf80.jpg

Those are beautiful homes!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top